Audiences are partially to blame for the abundance of bad movies

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

I used to blame Hollywood for this but the other day I read an article that got me thinking about it and now I realize that the people who pay their money to see these bad movies are just as much to blame. Hollywood wants money pure and simple they don't set out to make awful movies, they set out to make movies that make money. If the audience demanded higher quality for their money Hollywood would have no choice but to raise the bar, but as long as Adam Sandler fart jokes keep raking in millions they have absolutely no incentive to make quality movies.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inverno

This depresses me so much. Just today comedic directors Setzer & Friedberg announced they would do another Epic Movie called Starving Games parodying Hunger Games, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Avengers.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Oh god. Another [blank] movie....

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

@CaioTrubat: It sucks that those 2 keep making movies but they are actually a rock solid piece of support for my theory. Their movies have been without exception completely god awful and get continually lazier and just all around worse yet people still go see them in droves. After a certain point we have to accept part of the blame for seeing this bulls**t.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

The Yogi Bear sequel also got green lit recently....

Sigh

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Sigh

Dear god that is almost as horrible as this

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By ragdollpurps

Well duh... Consumers consume which creates a demand so the suppliers supply. You may or may not have noticed, it's how a lot things work, not just movies... Problem is that you're never going to get people to stop seeing stupid movies, which would be the only way to slowly, yet effectively, decrease the amount produced.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Inverno

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Sigh

Hahahahahahaha nice montage!!! Please tell me this is a montage...

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Sigh

Sweetbabyjesus!

"Just wing it" ?!

IS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE FUNNY?

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Inverno

@joshmightbe: I hear ya. Take one look at Last Airbender, one of the worst movies I've seen, every cartoon fan hates it as well as almost every critic and yet that movie managed to make back twice its budget. If that movies gets a sequel, then people have no one but themselves to blame.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blood1991

@CaioTrubat said:

@Blood1991 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Sigh

Hahahahahahaha nice montage!!! Please tell me this is a montage...

It is a real thing.....

@NlGHTCRAWLER: I don't think it is meant to be funny. I think it is what the director told the cast as it was being filmed lol.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Blood1991:

I hate people sometimes......

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blood1991

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Blood1991:

I hate people sometimes......

You and me both man, you and me both.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Inverno

@Blood1991: This is just... ugh. Its beyond my wildest nightmares. I can't even... Why anyone would agree to film this?! Why anyone would watch this!? This is even lower than the lowest common denominator!!

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blood1991

@CaioTrubat said:

@Blood1991: This is just... ugh. Its beyond my wildest nightmares. I can't even... Why anyone would agree to film this?! Why anyone would watch this!? This is even lower than the lowest common denominator!!

It is the film equivalent of dividing by zero.

Click if you dare...

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Xanni15

But what makes the so called bad movies bad? As you said, the movies are making money so why would studios either, know or care (this you addressed). There are countless movies I don't like or understand why they keep getting made, but then I just think that there's obviously millions of people out there who do. Targeting kids with your movies (Tooth Fairy) or the college crowd (the spoof movies) is a great way to make money. I can't know for sure but I'm sure there's a lot of people who want to see movies no matter what is playing.

As for Adam Sandler, I think he's just reached the point where he wants to make movies with his friends, and why not? He's got a loyal following.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By MrDirector786

@CaioTrubat said:

This depresses me so much. Just today comedic directors Setzer & Friedberg announced they would do another Epic Movie called Starving Games parodying Hunger Games, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Avengers.

Seriously? Dear God no....

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By superstay

@CaioTrubat:

Please tell me you're joking about the new "Movie" movie. dó¡òb

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Inverno

@MrDirector786 said:

@CaioTrubat said:

I am very, very sorry but its very true. Take one look at promotional material

No Caption Provided
Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Inverno
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By joshmightbe

@ragdollpurps: I'm not saying there is any way to fix this, just pointing out that the people who go see the crappy movies are just as much to blame for the existence of these movies as the people who produced them.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Trodorne

Of course people are to blame. I mean come on, anyone who said that Transformers 3 was a stroke of genius obviously never seen a good movie in their life. or unless they like mindless CG driven action, with half naked women running away from explosions

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By MrDirector786

@CaioTrubat:

Also. Igri za khavchik? What does that even mean? That's what it says at the bottom. I can transliterate Russian.. but I can't translate it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By joshmightbe

@MrDirector786: It means sh**ty movie that you'd have to be high to enjoy a single second of unless you're 12

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By turoksonofstone

True.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#26  Edited By pikahyper

it is a vicious cycle; quality of movies goes down, people continue to pay, expectations lower, rinse and repeat. Idiocracy wasn't just a movie it is our future.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshmightbe

@pikahyper: I would argue but since people like Snooki exist and have fans I can't

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By turoksonofstone

@pikahyper said:

it is a vicious cycle; quality of movies goes down, people continue to pay, expectations lower, rinse and repeat. Idiocracy wasn't just a movie it is our future.

omg. money.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@CaioTrubat said:

No Caption Provided

@MrDirector786 said:

@CaioTrubat said:

I am very, very sorry but its very true. Take one look at promotional material

I'll be honest I chuckled at the picture.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Magian

@CaioTrubat said:

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By SC  Moderator
@ragdollpurps said:

Well duh... Consumers consume which creates a demand so the suppliers supply. You may or may not have noticed, it's how a lot things work, not just movies... Problem is that you're never going to get people to stop seeing stupid movies, which would be the only way to slowly, yet effectively, decrease the amount produced.

This is well said.  

Hopefully people things will get bad enough that more people will get more savvy media wise but also more willing to actually pay for content they like, and then you will see the death of the big blockbuster movies save for a few and an increase in quality movies on a smaller but more creative local level. Technology will help too, and this can mean bad and good things, if we look at television and music as examples. Both have changed quite a lot in the last decade because of music and television is both made, created, shared, viewed accessed etc as well as websites like Youtube and all the various music websites out there. Movies is a slower moving medium than either music and television and a more expensive one too, but eventually... but its going to take a while and will only increase the potential for more hidden gems rather than cut down on Big Momma's House IV: Big Momma Meets the Tooth Fairy and Doctor Dolittle.   
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cattlebattle

Just because you think a movie is stupid doesn't mean everybody does......

and a lot of people work hard on some of these movies...so, feel free to dump on their work.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Zdaybreak

I actually like the spoof movies. Also, @joshmightbe age doesn't always equate to maturity. There are plenty of solemn kids out there, it's just the dumb ones make more noise.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By joshmightbe

@Shotgun: I'm well aware that age doesn't equal maturity

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wolfrazer

There are never bad movies, because with movies its all opinion...so how can someone say that there are bad movies when for someone else they actually like said movie? Its all opinion.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Samimista

@joshmightbe said:

I used to blame Hollywood for this but the other day I read an article that got me thinking about it and now I realize that the people who pay their money to see these bad movies are just as much to blame. Hollywood wants money pure and simple they don't set out to make awful movies, they set out to make movies that make money. If the audience demanded higher quality for their money Hollywood would have no choice but to raise the bar, but as long as Adam Sandler fart jokes keep raking in millions they have absolutely no incentive to make quality movies.

Certain movie goers are special in the head and rather than reading reviews they go for the cheap movies that are usually dumb down with an easier and simple vocabulary to understand. I've noticed this trend in the last decade.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jobiwankenobi

I've known this for a while. In order to make money, a movie needs to appeal to the masses. The masses is comprised of stupid, lazy people. So stupid movies that stupid people are entertained by are what keeps getting made because it's what the masses want. That or spoofs, remakes, sequels, or books, cartoons, etc. turned into movies are made. This attracts fans of said 'originals' or people that are too lazy to read the book or whathaveyou and have heard good things about it. These make money because it's what people want, and that is what Hollywood's gonna give them.

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Masses these days have bad taste