• 114 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10502 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm one of those prefixed American's. I'm not proud of the American but the Prefix I like.

#52 Posted by Immortal777 (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm indifferent. I could never understand pride in one's nationality and race( unless it's human race).

#53 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17419 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by Wolverine08 (42338 posts) - - Show Bio
Online
#55 Edited by zombieslayer1234 (89 posts) - - Show Bio

I love being American. USA is the best country ever...

#56 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really patriotic, but sure I'm glad to be American. We aren't perfect or superior but living in the U.S., I get many privileges that other nations might not have. That's something that I'm grateful for

#57 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@wbr17 said:
@blood_red_rage said:

Not proud as I don't find nationality something to take pride in. I am more along the lines of content, there are places that are not so nice in the world.

This. And I don't know why people from USA tend to only consider themselves american, you know, from north to south america we are all american. People of USA are just usaian or something on those lines. but whatever

Well actually, USA stands for United States of America. Nobody is doubting that South, Central and Canada aren't part of the Americas, but when people from the US refer to themselves as American, they are usually just cutting the United States part.

It can get confusing since both our continent and our country both have the word "America" in it, but thats what we usually mean when we say that.

#58 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad I was born in this region of the world...

#59 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

Second Question...

good responses so far. let me ask you this now; do you believe socioeconomic status or ethnicity have any bearing on whether someone is proud to be an American? if yes then in what capacity? if no then explain why you don't believe it has any bearing on someones pride as an American citizen.

Bonus question

How knowledgeable are you about the history of America?

socioeconomic status or ethnicity have any bearing on whether someone is proud to be an American? Yes it does. What capacity? If your European American it is easier to have pride for your land because... fact is humans are racist. If you are any other ethnicity in America it is more difficult to have pride because of racism. IMHO. If someone doesn't believe in "White Privilege" then maybe they need more experiences in life. In Cuba, and in Mexico just to name a few there is "elitism."

One time a VICE President of Cuba was not allowed to go to a club because there were rumors he had African blood in him. I do not have the evidence to back it up but I personally believe it. In Mexico you see that the lighter skinned Mexicans usually end up getting into most of the movies, rarely do you see a "moreno" get as much exposure as a "guerro."

I can only imagine but I think that it would be difficult for someone who is African-American to have pride for the nation they live in that has a history of treating African-Americans terribly to say the least. I say imagine because I am not African-American so I cannot speak for them or someone but I am Mexican-American and I am aware of the discrimination my parents, and my ancestors went through, from all the way back to Spaniards slaughtering, and raping the indigenous groups in the land now known as Mexico.

I can't speak for everyone but I assume it would be difficult for anyone like say a Muslim who is a US American to have national pride when she or he lives next to another fellow US American who is prejudging her or him for their cultural backgrounds.

AND if you're broke it's hard to love the place you live when you don't get any solid consistent help. If you're rich you will have more of a possibility to see the best of the country you live in and miss all the terrible things about the country you live in.

II.

I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about the U.S. I actually wish I knew more about MX. I'm terrible with dates but I think I fairly know the jist of it all.

III. @squares:

I think the U.S. culture naturally likes to emphasize national pride because... WE are the Land of the immigrants. We have African-Americans, European-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans, and many many more. Since we have such a diverse group, I believe the powers at be want to emphasize that we are still a Unit, a Team, A Unity, a Union so we don't fight each other over our differences.

On top of our diverse cultural backgrounds and ethnic groups, we have 50 states that are fairly different from each other. The slangs, dialect, accents, and terms of each state is different as well as the ethnic groups that live in that state. Every state has, I don't know how to say it any other way, a set of guidelines.

For example, I have heard Californians be accused of using the word "like" like a lot, or the terms, "kick it" be used mainly in CA, or the name "Dick" be used more than in other states to call one another.

Theres a joke in the Latin community that goes like this, CA=Mexican, NY=Puerto Rican ( I still don't understand why it translates to Porto Rican), FL-Cuban.

I could be wrong but I think the U.S. is one of the Top 5, at least Top 10 largest countries in the world and it is filled with a vast ethnicity group who live in various different states that are fairly totally different than the next. The majority of course is European-Americans but again... my point is I personally think the U.S. culture likes to emphasize National Pride because they want their citizens to be unified and work with each other.

One good example would be after the event of Nine-11, the majority of the U.S. became unified, and were proud to be Americans. It didn't last forever, but it was there.

( +)

#60 Edited by BallPointHero (134 posts) - - Show Bio

My parents immigrated here for the privilege of becoming Americans and to raise my brother and I as Americans. Of course I'm proud.

#61 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

How knowledgeable are you about the history of America?

Murica.

#62 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18062 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not American. But I am British. But I don't take pride for simply being born and to live here. National pride in general is really meaningless. And irritating. Take pride in things that are worth taking pride for, not for simply being.

#63 Edited by Outside_85 (9027 posts) - - Show Bio

Not American, don't live there, but if I have to leave my country, the US is probably not where I'd go for anything other than a vacation.

#64 Posted by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, as I don't come from there

#65 Posted by XiiX (8270 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Posted by Bruxae (13885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not even proud to be a human being. Our race sucks.

This. Same shit wherever you go.

#67 Posted by mikesterman (770 posts) - - Show Bio

"This is 'Merica, we dont want no meximacans, no canadianses and deffinitely none of them chinamese, stealing all our land and trying to get a free edumacation. if you werent born here get out." jk im puertorican so i guess id rather be owed by america then spain :D i live in the #2 poorest city in america Reading PA

Online
#68 Edited by Deadite (24010 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I wouldn't bother other people with this fact but I also appreciate if people don't distort this simple statement and say I'm something I'm not.

I basically tried several times typing this out because...ugh.

#69 Posted by IrishX (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely Proud To Be An American.

If you live here and your not then as Katt Williams would say.... "get to steppin' then". You think there is somewhere else better then go there.

I can't believe how ignorant some of the responses have been either. No pride or care for the all the men who have died to protect a place we call "the land of opportunity". See that's special because in many other places they don't have the freedoms that so many here seem to take for granted.

#70 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10502 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

Second Question...

good responses so far. let me ask you this now; do you believe socioeconomic status or ethnicity have any bearing on whether someone is proud to be an American? if yes then in what capacity? if no then explain why you don't believe it has any bearing on someones pride as an American citizen.

Bonus question

How knowledgeable are you about the history of America?

socioeconomic status or ethnicity have any bearing on whether someone is proud to be an American? Yes it does. What capacity? If your European American it is easier to have pride for your land because... fact is humans are racist. If you are any other ethnicity in America it is more difficult to have pride because of racism. IMHO. If someone doesn't believe in "White Privilege" then maybe they need more experiences in life. In Cuba, and in Mexico just to name a few there is "elitism."

One time a VICE President of Cuba was not allowed to go to a club because there were rumors he had African blood in him. I do not have the evidence to back it up but I personally believe it. In Mexico you see that the lighter skinned Mexicans usually end up getting into most of the movies, rarely do you see a "moreno" get as much exposure as a "guerro."

I can only imagine but I think that it would be difficult for someone who is African-American to have pride for the nation they live in that has a history of treating African-Americans terribly to say the least. I say imagine because I am not African-American so I cannot speak for them or someone but I am Mexican-American and I am aware of the discrimination my parents, and my ancestors went through, from all the way back to Spaniards slaughtering, and raping the indigenous groups in the land now known as Mexico.

I can't speak for everyone but I assume it would be difficult for anyone like say a Muslim who is a US American to have national pride when she or he lives next to another fellow US American who is prejudging her or him for their cultural backgrounds.

AND if you're broke it's hard to love the place you live when you don't get any solid consistent help. If you're rich you will have more of a possibility to see the best of the country you live in and miss all the terrible things about the country you live in.

II.

I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about the U.S. I actually wish I knew more about MX. I'm terrible with dates but I think I fairly know the jist of it all.

III. @squares:

I think the U.S. culture naturally likes to emphasize national pride because... WE are the Land of the immigrants. We have African-Americans, European-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans, and many many more. Since we have such a diverse group, I believe the powers at be want to emphasize that we are still a Unit, a Team, A Unity, a Union so we don't fight each other over our differences.

On top of our diverse cultural backgrounds and ethnic groups, we have 50 states that are fairly different from each other. The slangs, dialect, accents, and terms of each state is different as well as the ethnic groups that live in that state. Every state has, I don't know how to say it any other way, a set of guidelines.

For example, I have heard Californians be accused of using the word "like" like a lot, or the terms, "kick it" be used mainly in CA, or the name "Dick" be used more than in other states to call one another.

Theres a joke in the Latin community that goes like this, CA=Mexican, NY=Puerto Rican ( I still don't understand why it translates to Porto Rican), FL-Cuban.

I could be wrong but I think the U.S. is one of the Top 5, at least Top 10 largest countries in the world and it is filled with a vast ethnicity group who live in various different states that are fairly totally different than the next. The majority of course is European-Americans but again... my point is I personally think the U.S. culture likes to emphasize National Pride because they want their citizens to be unified and work with each other.

One good example would be after the event of Nine-11, the majority of the U.S. became unified, and were proud to be Americans. It didn't last forever, but it was there.

( +)

You be on point G.

#71 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course I am. Just like any where you go there are stupid people that make you people look bad no matter where you go.

#72 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8281 posts) - - Show Bio

100%

#73 Edited by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

I'm not really patriotic, but sure I'm glad to be American. We aren't perfect or superior but living in the U.S., I get many privileges that other nations might not have. That's something that I'm grateful for

Excellent answer.

@yung_ancient_one said:

III. @squares:

I think the U.S. culture naturally likes to emphasize national pride because... WE are the Land of the immigrants. We have African-Americans, European-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans, and many many more. Since we have such a diverse group, I believe the powers at be want to emphasize that we are still a Unit, a Team, A Unity, a Union so we don't fight each other over our differences.

On top of our diverse cultural backgrounds and ethnic groups, we have 50 states that are fairly different from each other. The slangs, dialect, accents, and terms of each state is different as well as the ethnic groups that live in that state. Every state has, I don't know how to say it any other way, a set of guidelines.

For example, I have heard Californians be accused of using the word "like" like a lot, or the terms, "kick it" be used mainly in CA, or the name "Dick" be used more than in other states to call one another.

Theres a joke in the Latin community that goes like this, CA=Mexican, NY=Puerto Rican ( I still don't understand why it translates to Porto Rican), FL-Cuban.

I could be wrong but I think the U.S. is one of the Top 5, at least Top 10 largest countries in the world and it is filled with a vast ethnicity group who live in various different states that are fairly totally different than the next. The majority of course is European-Americans but again... my point is I personally think the U.S. culture likes to emphasize National Pride because they want their citizens to be unified and work with each other.

One good example would be after the event of Nine-11, the majority of the U.S. became unified, and were proud to be Americans. It didn't last forever, but it was there.

( +)

I think I see what you're saying, and I get your point about immigration and a diverse culture, but it's not like other big countries don't have that too. I'll use the example of Canada again, because it happens to be where I live; there's incredible cultural diversity all over the country, to the extent that certain provinces consider themselves almost independent from the rest of the country. In fact, what with the absence of the whole 'melting pot' approach to culture, the diversity of Canadian culture is in some ways more pronounced.

But therein lies your point, I think- national pride is emphasized in order to stress unity, which makes sense.

#74 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm certainly happy I was born in the United States. I have been given every opportunity to succeed in life. I feel safe where I live and I am very happy. That being said, I do hope everyone can someday say the same for themselves, wherever they live.

I do feel a little sad for people who do not understand pride. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in where you are from. It's part of what you makes you.. you. Just as long as you're not arrogant about it. I don't have a giant American flag in my front yard or anything but I will come to the defense of my country. The most patriotic I probably get is when our soccer team is playing. :)

#76 Edited by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm indifferent. I could never understand pride in one's nationality and race( unless it's human race).

This exactly.

#77 Edited by doctor_bong_crosby (98 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO most of the ideals upon which this nation was founded are good and just, and worthy of us striving for.

At the same time, I believe it´s time that we, the whole Human Race, start realizing that we are One People, with common hopes and dreams, and that in spite of all our differences there are many more things that we all share.

#78 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@batmannflash said:

I'm not really patriotic, but sure I'm glad to be American. We aren't perfect or superior but living in the U.S., I get many privileges that other nations might not have. That's something that I'm grateful for

Excellent answer.

@yung_ancient_one said:

III. @squares:

I think the U.S. culture naturally likes to emphasize national pride because... WE are the Land of the immigrants. We have African-Americans, European-Americans, Asian-Americans, Latin-Americans, and many many more. Since we have such a diverse group, I believe the powers at be want to emphasize that we are still a Unit, a Team, A Unity, a Union so we don't fight each other over our differences.

On top of our diverse cultural backgrounds and ethnic groups, we have 50 states that are fairly different from each other. The slangs, dialect, accents, and terms of each state is different as well as the ethnic groups that live in that state. Every state has, I don't know how to say it any other way, a set of guidelines.

For example, I have heard Californians be accused of using the word "like" like a lot, or the terms, "kick it" be used mainly in CA, or the name "Dick" be used more than in other states to call one another.

Theres a joke in the Latin community that goes like this, CA=Mexican, NY=Puerto Rican ( I still don't understand why it translates to Porto Rican), FL-Cuban.

I could be wrong but I think the U.S. is one of the Top 5, at least Top 10 largest countries in the world and it is filled with a vast ethnicity group who live in various different states that are fairly totally different than the next. The majority of course is European-Americans but again... my point is I personally think the U.S. culture likes to emphasize National Pride because they want their citizens to be unified and work with each other.

One good example would be after the event of Nine-11, the majority of the U.S. became unified, and were proud to be Americans. It didn't last forever, but it was there.

( +)

I think I see what you're saying, and I get your point about immigration and a diverse culture, but it's not like other big countries don't have that too. I'll use the example of Canada again, because it happens to be where I live; there's incredible cultural diversity all over the country, to the extent that certain provinces consider themselves almost independent from the rest of the country. In fact, what with the absence of the whole 'melting pot' approach to culture, the diversity of Canadian culture is in some ways more pronounced.

But therein lies your point, I think- national pride is emphasized in order to stress unity, which makes sense.

That's the thing though, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm sure Canada has a diverse culture and everything you posted is true, but I don't think Canada and USA are the same.

The USA had African Americans as slaves for 400 years then add the years where they were treated as a second class citizens. The USA had their own people Japanese American's in camps during WW2. The term Latino/Hispanic was never used until Nixon was president. "Latinos" used to be considered "white" and I forget the details that my Dad told me but basically it was finally decided for "hispanics" to not be considered "white" to cause more friction between the minorities since European Americans are the majority.

The USA has a history of US Americans ostracizing one another. I have seen US Americans tell Mexican Americans to "go back to where you belong." I have seen US Americans call other US Americans "terrorist" because they are Muslim or mistaken for a Muslim.

I think, and I can totally be wrong, but I think the USA has a long controversial history with dealing with a diverse society. I may be wrong but this is what I currently see as the truth. Most importantly, I always thought the US was the first country to have such a diverse society so yes other countries have a diverse population but USA has had one longer. Again, if I'm wrong let me know.

Now besides the possibility that the powers at be want to promote National Pride to keep the people unified but I also believe it is part of the culture. We are literally called The UNITED States, and every US American has pride for their State because each state is different. I always viewed National Pride as a larger form of School Pride. Why should anyone be proud to go to Garfield High, or USC?

I view National Pride as embracing the land you were born in. And, I repeat it is part of the US culture. Our forefathers took this land from the Native Americans by force.

I want to post more but my laptop keeps freezing on me. I'm surprised I typed this much. I'll just end it this now and say, that I would love to have this conversation in person.

@nelomaxwell

Thanks my doode, always appreciate your input.

( +)

#79 Posted by Chainy (11 posts) - - Show Bio

No! Mainly because I'm British and we hate American's. Its part of our earlier education. Maths, English, Science, Hate America and History. Sorry, its just how we do it...

#80 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

@squares:

Right, but do Canadian or British accomplishments compare to our accomplishments? I could certainly make an argument for this.

YES, especially British accomplishments.

#81 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

That's the thing though, I have to respectfully disagree. I'm sure Canada has a diverse culture and everything you posted is true, but I don't think Canada and USA are the same.

The USA had African Americans as slaves for 400 years then add the years where they were treated as a second class citizens. The USA had their own people Japanese American's in camps during WW2. The term Latino/Hispanic was never used until Nixon was president. "Latinos" used to be considered "white" and I forget the details that my Dad told me but basically it was finally decided for "hispanics" to not be considered "white" to cause more friction between the minorities since European Americans are the majority.

The USA has a history of US Americans ostracizing one another. I have seen US Americans tell Mexican Americans to "go back to where you belong." I have seen US Americans call other US Americans "terrorist" because they are Muslim or mistaken for a Muslim.

I think, and I can totally be wrong, but I think the USA has a long controversial history with dealing with a diverse society. I may be wrong but this is what I currently see as the truth. Most importantly, I always thought the US was the first country to have such a diverse society so yes other countries have a diverse population but USA has had one longer. Again, if I'm wrong let me know.

Now besides the possibility that the powers at be want to promote National Pride to keep the people unified but I also believe it is part of the culture. We are literally called The UNITED States, and every US American has pride for their State because each state is different. I always viewed National Pride as a larger form of School Pride. Why should anyone be proud to go to Garfield High, or USC?

I view National Pride as embracing the land you were born in. And, I repeat it is part of the US culture. Our forefathers took this land from the Native Americans by force.

I want to post more but my laptop keeps freezing on me. I'm surprised I typed this much. I'll just end it this now and say, that I would love to have this conversation in person.

@nelomaxwell

Thanks my doode, always appreciate your input.

( +)

Of course they're not the same, I never said they were. I was under the impression my last post stated pretty much just that- if it didn't I must have phrased it wrong.

Do you seriously think that slavery only occurred in the US? Yes, slavery was abolished in Canada before it was abolished in the US (wikipedia tells me that it was 1833 for Canada, whereas the USA formally abolished it in 1865), but it still happened. To a smaller degree, of course, but it still happened for centuries. For that matter, there were Japanese internment camps in Canada, too.

Yeah, the USA wasn't the first country to have a diverse society. China, for example, is extremely culturally diverse, and has been for god knows how long.

Ugh, I'm sorry if that was incoherent, it's 4 am.

#82 Posted by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because while I am from an Asian background, I wasn't raised there and I don't live there.

#83 Posted by War Killer (20209 posts) - - Show Bio

I am, despite it's issues it is still the greatest on the country in the world and I have been blessed to be born and raised here.

#84 Posted by dondave (37459 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm from England

#85 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10502 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

I'm from England

It nice there?

#86 Posted by dondave (37459 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Edited by MaccyD (4065 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: The more warmongering nations tend to be more patriotic/nationalist.

#89 Posted by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not American, but even if I was I don't know why you would be. Besides North Korea it's pretty much the most hated country on Earth. It commits innumerable war crimes, it's run by banks, it's government is corrupt as f*** and the citizens are fat and stupid.

Before you ask, yes. I've lived there.

@edamame said:

has the best health care system in the entire world

#90 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

@squares:

America:

1. is quite possibly the most diverse and most Multicultural nation on the planet

2. won the first successful war of independence against a European colonial power (American Revolutionary War)

3. built the most powerful military and economy in the entire world in the 20th Century

4. was the first country to get a nuclear weapon

5. leads the world in scientific research and technological innovation

6. has a plethora of natural resources

7. has some of the world's best and most renowned colleges and universities

8. has invented so many things (I could make a long list. lol)

9. basically has the best health care system in the entire world (Unfortunately, it isn't very affordable.)

10. ensured Allied victory in World War II (The Allies could not have won World War II without the U.S. Plain and simple.)

11. is the world's number 3 oil producer (right behind Saudi Arabia and Russia)

Good for America. I assume this is a list of the aforementioned accomplishments?

Great, let's look at the country I mentioned, England:

1) Was the first country to build factories and generally become industrialized

2) Had the most powerful navy in the world for over a century

3) Has better universities and colleges (Oxford, Caimbridge, UCL...)

4) Built the largest empire in history

5) Still has a functioning government

I'll just leave it at that for now. If you want more, I'd be happy to oblige.

Why is America being the first country to develop nuclear weapons a thing you're proud of, anyways?

#91 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluff_: Love Technique, and that quote completely summarizes my feelings on the subject

#92 Posted by Bluff_ (283 posts) - - Show Bio
#93 Edited by Pyrogram (38509 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@edamame said:

@squares:

America:

1. is quite possibly the most diverse and most Multicultural nation on the planet

2. won the first successful war of independence against a European colonial power (American Revolutionary War)

3. built the most powerful military and economy in the entire world in the 20th Century

4. was the first country to get a nuclear weapon

5. leads the world in scientific research and technological innovation

6. has a plethora of natural resources

7. has some of the world's best and most renowned colleges and universities

8. has invented so many things (I could make a long list. lol)

9. basically has the best health care system in the entire world (Unfortunately, it isn't very affordable.)

10. ensured Allied victory in World War II (The Allies could not have won World War II without the U.S. Plain and simple.)

11. is the world's number 3 oil producer (right behind Saudi Arabia and Russia)

Good for America. I assume this is a list of the aforementioned accomplishments?

Great, let's look at the country I mentioned, England:

1) Was the first country to build factories and generally become industrialized

2) Had the most powerful navy in the world for over a century

3) Has better universities and colleges (Oxford, Caimbridge, UCL...)

4) Built the largest empire in history

5) Still has a functioning government

I'll just leave it at that for now. If you want more, I'd be happy to oblige.

Why is America being the first country to develop nuclear weapons a thing you're proud of, anyways?

And for a start that is pure rubbish. The International community created the nuclear bomb. NOT American Scientists alone.

Online
#94 Edited by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@squares said:

@edamame said:

@squares:

America:

1. is quite possibly the most diverse and most Multicultural nation on the planet

2. won the first successful war of independence against a European colonial power (American Revolutionary War)

3. built the most powerful military and economy in the entire world in the 20th Century

4. was the first country to get a nuclear weapon

5. leads the world in scientific research and technological innovation

6. has a plethora of natural resources

7. has some of the world's best and most renowned colleges and universities

8. has invented so many things (I could make a long list. lol)

9. basically has the best health care system in the entire world (Unfortunately, it isn't very affordable.)

10. ensured Allied victory in World War II (The Allies could not have won World War II without the U.S. Plain and simple.)

11. is the world's number 3 oil producer (right behind Saudi Arabia and Russia)

Good for America. I assume this is a list of the aforementioned accomplishments?

Great, let's look at the country I mentioned, England:

1) Was the first country to build factories and generally become industrialized

2) Had the most powerful navy in the world for over a century

3) Has better universities and colleges (Oxford, Caimbridge, UCL...)

4) Built the largest empire in history

5) Still has a functioning government

I'll just leave it at that for now. If you want more, I'd be happy to oblige.

Why is America being the first country to develop nuclear weapons a thing you're proud of, anyways?

And for a start that is pure rubbish. The International community created the nuclear bomb. NOT American Scientists alone.

Excellent point.

Does the fact that many famous American inventions were made by German scientists brought over by operation paperclip mean that the inventions aren't really American? Just curious.

#95 Posted by ComicStooge (12849 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Australian.

We're a pretty good nation overall.

#97 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio
@edamame said:

Question:

Where would Great Britain be right now without U.S. Lend-Lease aid during World War II or Marshall Plan aid after 1945? Serious question.

Relying on countries other than America, I imagine?

Just for fun, I gathered together a list of English inventions. Here's some of the more prominent ones. It's a fairly long list...

Chemical fertilizer, water desalinization, the first accurate atomic clock, the marine chronometer, the spinning jenny (and mule, and frame), the sewing machine, Christmas and Valentines cards, the pencil, the mechanical pencil, the MTV-1, shorthand, the typewriter, the Universal Turing Machine, the World Wide Web, the MP3 player, DNA fingerprinting, the steam engine, the internal combustion engine, the wind tunnel, ice cream, cheddar cheese, gravy, lasagne, pancakes, the sandwich, carbonated water, the first mass-produced toothbrush, the domestic dishwasher, the refrigerator, the lawn mower, the rubber band, the fire extinguisher, the tin can, the first incandescent light bulb, the postage stamp, the magnifying glass, the modern (flushing) toilet, stainless steel, the smallpox vaccine, the clinical thermometer, surgical forceps, Gray's Anatomy, general anesthetic, vitamins, Tryptophan, the Francis turbine, the Fourdrinier machine, the gas turbine, Acetylcholine, the tank, the fighter aircraft, the torpedo, depth charges, the theater organ, the Kinetoscope, cinematography, the calotype, modern atomic theory, cell biology, calculus, the Newtonian telescope, standard deviation, the law of gravity, newton's laws of motion, the electromagnet, helium, the periodic table, the seismograph, the theory of evolution, the planetarium, DNA sequencing, bungee jumping, baseball, tennis, boxing, ice hockey, darts, ping pong, the jet engine, the first inter-city steam-powered railway, the world's oldest rapid transit system, tarmac, the hovercraft, the lifeboat, the submarine, the sextant, the hydrofoil, linoleum, plastic, the friction match, the crossword puzzle, the gas mask, prime meridian, silicone, and comics, to name a few.

#98 Posted by Pyrogram (38509 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: If you're seriously saying the USA was/is better than the British Empire in its prime you're just full of BS.

Online
#100 Posted by Squares (6614 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@edamame: If you're seriously saying the USA was/is better than the British Empire in its prime you're just full of BS.

THANK YOU.