• 49 results
#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you care about being politically correct ? Are you always politically correct or just in certain situations ?

#2 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

I try as best as possible not to be politically correct as I think it is wrong that people think they have a right not to be offended and I don't agree with the way it can be used against the principles of free speech.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't try to be politically correct. I just try not to be an a******. I'll call someone black, yes, because they are. I won't use racial slurs but neither am I going to call them "melanin-abundant-americans" or any such nonsense. Likewise I'll call someone with mental retardation handicapped, but I don't have it in me to call anyone handy-capable.

#4 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I pretend to be politically correct around other people so that I appear proper and courteous, but I personally don't care about political correctness at all.

#5 Posted by JetiiMitra (8628 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not concerned about being PC, I just don't try to be offensive. It can depend on my company.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I politically correct?? Are Asians good at math?? Of course!

#7 Posted by laflux (15929 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I politically correct?? Are Asians good at math?? Of course!

#8 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Me Chinese, me play joke, me go pee-pee in your coke.

#9 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17500 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#10 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

I don't try to be politically correct. I just try not to be an a******. I'll call someone black, yes, because they are. I won't use racial slurs but neither am I going to call them "melanin-abundant-americans" or any such nonsense. Likewise I'll call someone with mental retardation handicapped, but I don't have it in me to call anyone handy-capable.

Pretty much this.

#11 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (10098 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail naw.

#12 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#13 Posted by Racob7 (5669 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, sorry. I'm not going to sugar coat things for you, grow a backbone.

#14 Edited by Deadite (24003 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

Likewise I'll call someone with mental retardation handicapped, but I don't have it in me to call anyone handy-capable.

Would you go as far as correcting others from calling each other retarded in casual exchange, or standup comedian mentioning the word 'retarded' in a joking manner, where most of his audience consider it hilarious?

I know it's a stretch from drawing any conclusion from your post, and I'm not doing so. It just happens to touch on the topic and I'm interested to read your opinion on it.

#15 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha... Haha.... Ha... Probably not most of the time.

#16 Posted by _Gaff_ (3386 posts) - - Show Bio

There are only 2 things I can not stand in this world

1. People who do not respect each others nationality.
  2. The Dutch
#17 Edited by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadite: Nope. Not worth it to me. I try to be forward-thinking but I'm not gonna be "that guy" unless it's actually necessary. Plenty of other people are happy to do it for me.

#18 Posted by Chibi_cute (4541 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

#19 Posted by King-Stranglehold da first (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

No ones politically correct...

#20 Edited by Deadite (24003 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

@deadite: Nope. Not worth it to me. I try to be forward-thinking but I'm not gonna be "that guy" unless it's actually necessary. Plenty of other people are happy to do it for me.

I see.

#21 Posted by Xwraith (18187 posts) - - Show Bio

I still use the word "retarded" sometimes, so probably not.

#22 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone is bound to get offended by something.

#24 Posted by RomulusAugustus (270 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhhh, no. I'm not PC.

#25 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10563 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated that PC commercial about how using "that's so gay" is wrong. Not cus of the message but the lame execution. That commercial made me wanna use it more.

....Really?

#26 Edited by Bruxae (13870 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly couldnt care less, people are way to sensitive and I enjoy shoving it in their faces at occasion.

#27 Posted by tupiaz (2184 posts) - - Show Bio

I use normal politeness however I don't see anything with using the word black as description. People should distinctive between using a word as a negative and mean spirited comment or as a neutral.

@xwraith said:

I still use the word "retarded" sometimes, so probably not.

So that makes you political incorrect? That is retarded.

#28 Edited by GrenadeFlow (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

Last year I would say no but this year yeah

#29 Posted by ARMIV2 (8526 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

I'm pretty much this.

#30 Posted by Outside_85 (9007 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.

#31 Posted by consolemaster001 (5591 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course !

I love the coloreds and the queers !

#32 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not PC but I try to be scientific, using words wrong shows the ignorance of the person talking more then insulting the person being spoken about. Words like Nigga (Niger is Latin for Black, if you speak ancient Latin then I have no issue with people using it) irritate me just as much as students using words like Centrfugal force or Retardation, instead of centripetal reaction force or acceleration acting against motion... People can make up words but they just show that they don't understand what they are talking about.

#33 Posted by Cgoodness (4655 posts) - - Show Bio

ummmm kinda.....i call Christmas "Christmas" and i treat everyone as equals and never use racial slurs.

#34 Posted by longbowhunter (7086 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really give it much thought.

#35 Posted by King Saturn (224190 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#36 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated that PC commercial about how using "that's so gay" is wrong. Not cus of the message but the lame execution. That commercial made me wanna use it more.

....Really?

It's not a term that holds much value for me. I just try not to be a dick about things. I don't go out of my way to be "politically correct", and it's it not a term that holds any value for me.

@joygirl said:

@deadite: *twitch*

Ha ha.

#37 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (10563 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Reason I ask is because you dressed down Nelomaxwell on his Thread

People are black people are white big deal.

The sooner we stop judging people by their skin colour the better.

That seems pretty PC to me. He didnt seem to mean anything by it.

#38 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_rog_el: I didn't dress anyone down I just expressed my opinion.

I don't care if it is PC or not, as I said it has no value for me. I have my views weather people want to consider them PC or not.

#39 Posted by Rubear (487 posts) - - Show Bio

All ideas became bad if people bring them to absurd and people are prone to bringing them to absurd. Am i PC in terms of not to be offencive? Yep, mostly. Am i fanatical about PC? NO.

#40 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't consider myself politically correct. I do try to live by the golden rule though. My main problem with many politically correct opinions is that they don't really solve anything. For example:

The term "retard" is a medical term but because people have used it in a derogatory manner and others find it offensive, the use of the term is frowned upon and some other round-about term is preferred. Here is the rub though, eventually that new term will become the "offensive" term because it is supposed to mean the exact same thing, thus ensuring this circular cycle of adding words to our "off-limit" bin in a never-ending loop. A person that is retarded... is retarded. No fluffy substitute is going to change that. We shouldn't try to limit our language in an effort to make everyone feel good. Instead, we should just stop being jerks to one another. I know that is a nearly impossible goal but it sure is a lot better (at least in my opinion) than trying to destroy the English language in order to make some hypersensitives feel better.

Just the two cents of an old man though. I don't think many of the younger generation will agree with my point of view.

#41 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5599 posts) - - Show Bio

People are too sensitive. Those are the folks I like to mess with on occasion. Same a-holes who turned Lord Zed into a joke on Power Rangers, or who think Miley is trashy, when Kat Perry and Nicki act similar. She is a young Millionaire. I'd show my ass too.

But I agree with Joygirl, on everything. I'm not gonna go out of my way to be a dick, but I'm only as PC as you are to me.

White guy calls me nigga, no problem, I dated a few white girls and they used it or my homies whom wernt black or latino used it. Cool long as I don't feel you being malicious.

Red-Neck calls me a coon, ape, moon cricket? Then he is gonna be a cracker, white-devil, punk-a$$ vanilla skinned..bunch of ish.

A shorter person calls me a ugly-a$$ btch.

Then that person becomes a btch-a$$ midget mudafacka.

#42 Posted by wildvine (9601 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone is bound to get offended by something.

Best answer.

Moderator Online
#43 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm fairly politically correct but I don't try to be. I just try to not be a d*ck.

@joygirl said:

Flawless execution 10/10. For some reason I like the terms "slow", "off" and "not-all-there" for people that display some sort of undisclosed mental disparity.

#44 Posted by Deadite (24003 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

*give the wide-eyed innocence look*

I'm kinda at where you stand in the matter. I would rather see the debate continue in the hands of another. Haha, sorry if this looks like some kind of run-around tactic.

@joygirl said:

Ha ha.

:D

#45 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil83: Hahahahhaahahahahahaha moon cricket? Aw man I've never heard that one before. Such a shame that I can now never use it. :D

#46 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

No and can't stand people who are...

Just look at guys like Don Rickles or Jeffersons....or Robin Williams etc guys like that would have no career if they were "politically correct"

Now days, people get offended by those jokes...

#47 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Political correctness is one of the things that often been mistaken for politeness or to others oppression. It is a difficult thing to do since it easy to offend anyone. It is more of a state of composer or precision. the better question is can you become politically correct? It can be done if you have the right information and willingness to do it.

#48 Posted by mikethekiller (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

I just try not to be a rude a**hole.

#49 Edited by Nefarious (20349 posts) - - Show Bio

No.