Are we learning from history?

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By First_Last

It deeply saddens me as day to day I observe our society as a whole loosing morals and standards we once cherished. I remember when something as simple as saying hello to a passing person was common place. Now a days saying hi can get you glares, scoffs and sometimes worse. I live in America where capitalism has helped money to become most peoples higher power. I find that sad and disgusting. Money is great for getting somethings that you want and need but not the important things. Like honor, family, love, friendship, true loyalty ect are things money just can't buy. If nations continue on this route it is only a matter of time until they bring about their own self destruction. Ever heard of an empire called Rome?

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Contemporary American ideals are nothing like the ideals of Rome during the heights of its empire. Yeah, this country is going down the drain faster than any of us can truly comprehend, but Rome fell because the elites got lazy and left all the work to mercenaries. Our current 1%, if you will, are working day in and day out to achieve their dreams of a totalitarian state where they are the makers of law and order. Again, nothing like the fall of Rome.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Things do suck on a global scale but there are always lights in the darkness.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nickthedevil

There will always be at least one imperfection. And it makes the good side look smaller and bleak.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Deranged Midget

@nickthedevil said:

There will always be at least one imperfection. And it makes the good side look smaller and bleak.
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By ReVamp

No.

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batman11223

unfortunately America hasn't stood true to its roots which it was founded upon which is christian. And it gets worse every single day

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@ReVamp said:

No.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Humans should and are capable of learning from history, but we never do, if we did, poverty, racism, prejudice and inequality would have been solved by now.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

The fact that there has been more than one world war should answer your question.

I'd say no.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HBKTimHBK

No, but I also don't think that the destruction of our nation is imminent.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE

Cherished, and even claimed, but more often than not they were never actually practiced by most. Ours aspired to a nation of couch potatoes as if that was the American dream and a good thing, is it any wonder everything stands as it does now?

" Envision whirled peas? What channel is my life on? "
jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeanlucpicard

We don't learn from history we just repeat it, in this never ending cycle.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By majestic99

No.

@The Stegman said:

Humans should and are capable of learning from history, but we never do, if we did, poverty, racism, prejudice and inequality would have been solved by now.

A hypothetical solution called a Resource Based Economy seeks to eliminate these problems. It is a form of post scarcity.

Here's the same movement:

Zetigeist

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Sh*t naw.

0blivion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 0blivion_

I don't think so.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

@batman11223 said:

unfortunately America hasn't stood true to its roots which it was founded upon which is christian. And it gets worse every single day

Wrong. America was founded by deists.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

@The Stegman said:

Because we're stupid.

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By batman11223

@InnerVenom123: We Had christian beliefs and customs

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman11223: Tell us more.

@First_Last said:

It deeply saddens me as day to day I observe our society as a whole loosing morals and standards we once cherished. I remember when something as simple as saying hello to a passing person was common place. Now a days saying hi can get you glares, scoffs and sometimes worse. I live in America where capitalism has helped money to become most peoples higher power. I find that sad and disgusting. Money is great for getting somethings that you want and need but not the important things. Like honor, family, love, friendship, true loyalty ect are things money just can't buy. If nations continue on this route it is only a matter of time until they bring about their own self destruction. Ever heard of an empire called Rome?

People greet and smile back at me all the time. You must be doing something terribly wrong.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nefarious

Nothing will ever change. There is no change. No one learns from horrific events such as the Holocaust. 

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By batman11223
The founding father's were Christians..it is impossible not to let some of your personal values and beliefs bleed over into something like that....but I do believe they tried to be considerate of other religions as well.

Our Declaration of Independence and Constitution are based on Judeo-Christian teachings. The textbook of these teachings in the Holy Bible. It is the "Owners Manual" or "The Book of Instructions" for our nation. The Founding Fathers and many others in position of authority ever since have recertified that fact. "America is a Christian nation." This does not mean that all the people were or are Christian. It merely means that there was a Christian consensus and all our founding documents, laws, moral codes and institutions are based on Christian principles from the Bible.
1620 - The Mayflower Compact written by the Pilgrims before they got off the Mayflower said: "In the presence of God, Amen. We ... do by these presents solemnly and mutually in ye presence of God, and one another, covenant and combine ourselves into a civil body politic."

1638 - The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut (often called the first American Constitution) said, We "enter into a combination and confederation together to maintain and preserve the liberty and purity of the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ which we now profess." It also stated for the first time that men's rights come from God, as later stated in the Declaration of Independence.

The Great Law of Pennsylvania Colony said, "Whereas the glory of Almighty God and the good of mankind is the reason and the end of government and therefore government itself is a venerable ordinance of God..."

1772 - Samuel Adams: "The right to freedom being the gift of God Almighty ... The rights of the colonists as Christians may be best understood by reading and carefully studying the institutes of the great Law Giver which are to be found clearly written and promulgated in the New Testament."

1777 - The First Continental Congress appropriated funds to import for the people 20,000 Holy Bibles as "the great political textbook of the patriots."

1776 - The Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men ... "

There you have some profound statements:

* There is such a thing as Truth, and Truth can be known by man.

* Men are "created" and their rights come from God, their Creator.

* Governments exist to protect these God-given rights.

This is the very essence of our Americanism!

1787 - The Constitution was written to "secure the Blessings of Liberty."

1787 - George Washington said regarding the Constitution: "Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the event is in the hand of God."

Thomas Jefferson, on his memorial: "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that the liberties are the gift of God?"

2 Corinthians 3:17: "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty."

1787 - At an impasse of several weeks at the Constitutional Convention, Benjamin Franklin rose and sai:, "I have lived, Sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can arise without His aid? We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this." He then moved they resort to prayer.

1787 - Washington's Inaugural Address: "The propitious smiles of heaven cannot be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which heaven itself has ordained." All inaugural addresses and state constitutions refer to Almighty God, the author and sustainer of our liberty.

1789 - Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation: "Whereas, it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits and humbly to implore His protection and favor..."

1797 - Washington's Farewell Address: "And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion."

Patrick Henry: "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the gospel of Jesus Christ."

John Quincy Adams: "The first and almost the only Book deserving of universal attention if the Bible." The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: "It connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

1789-1795 - John Jay, first chief justice of the United States: "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest, of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

1843 - Emma Willard, educator and historian: "The government of the United States is acknowledged by the wise and good of other nations, to be the most free, impartial and righteous government of the world; but all agree that for such a government to be sustained many years, the principles of truth and righteousness, taught in the Holy Scriptures, must be practiced. The rulers must govern in the fear of God, and the people obey the laws ... A nation cannot exist without religion. France tried that and failed. We were born a Protestant Christian nation, and, as such, baptized in blood. Our position ought to be defined as that."

1861 - Abraham Lincoln: "It is the duty of all nations, as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God and to recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."

1863 - Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address: "That we here highly resolve ... that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

1892 - The Supreme Court of the United States after citing 87 precedents decided: "Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of Mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise: and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian ... This is a religious people. This is historically true. From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation ... we find everywhere a clear recognition of the same truth. These and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation."

1983 - Oct. 4, 1982, Joint Resolution of Congress: "Whereas the Bible, the Word of God, has made a unique contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and blessed nation of people. Whereas Biblical teachings inspired concepts of civil government that are contained in our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of The United States ... Whereas that renewing our knowledge of, and faith in God through Holy Scriptures can strengthen us as a nation and a people. Now therefore be it resolved ... that the President is authorized and requested to designate 1983 as a national "Year of the Bible" in recognition of both the formative influence the Bible has been for our nation, and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures. Does that convince you?
Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Kastiel
@batman11223: Thomas Jefferson wasn't Christian. He didn't believe Jesus was God. George Washington was a deist and several of our Founding Fathers were anything but Christian. Along with presidents such as Abraham Lincoln.
batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By batman11223

@Kastiel: You Just happen to know this?lol

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Kastiel
@batman11223: Yes, it's called Google or a book if you must know. 
batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batman11223

but you would have to agree that in today's society our morality is based on what the christian bible teaches

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I quote a famous postmodernist German historian who made a play on words of George Santayana's phrase by saying "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By First_Last

@Illuminatus said:

Contemporary American ideals are nothing like the ideals of Rome during the heights of its empire. Yeah, this country is going down the drain faster than any of us can truly comprehend, but Rome fell because the elites got lazy and left all the work to mercenaries. Our current 1%, if you will, are working day in and day out to achieve their dreams of a totalitarian state where they are the makers of law and order. Again, nothing like the fall of Rome.

It's true that the US and Rome have distinct differences yet there many similarities as well. For a few examples both are/were more or less based off other countries/empires. The US essentially a hybrid clone of Britain. Rome essentially a hybrid clone of Greece. Both were renown for being progressive, technological, and productive. Romes government was more or less a blueprint for the US's i.e. democracy/republic. Both were renown for invading others for resources. Both attempt/ed to keep their people complacent via these pilfered resources i.e. Rome and wheat the US and oil. Moral decadence, political corruptness, complacency ect are shared traits as well.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Static Shock

That's the world we live in. 

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By First_Last

@sesquipedalophobe: Yes I get smiles and hellos back sometimes as well. Yet saying hello was once common place it is no longer. Granted location seems to play an effect as well. The bigger the city the worse the condition imo.

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By First_Last

@batman11223 said:

One does not have to be religious to have morals and standards. I can see where your coming from however people no whats right and wrong with out need of organized religion i.e. murder, theft, dishonesty, fornication ect.

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@First_Last said:

@sesquipedalophobe: Yes I get smiles and hellos back sometimes as well. Yet saying hello was once common place it is no longer. Granted location seems to play an effect as well. The bigger the city the worse the condition imo.

I live in a large city. Work on your reverse nod.

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By First_Last

@Nefarious said:

Nothing will ever change. There is no change. No one learns from horrific events such as the Holocaust.

It's up to the people to initiate change. People like you, me and others on this site. Accepting that things will never change just leads to docile complacency.

First_Last

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By First_Last

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@First_Last said:

I live in a large city. Work on your reverse nod.

Lol. My nod is excellent thx. What city if you don't mind me asking? So you have never had someone even look at you like your crazy, mean mug or anything of the like after saying Hi or Hello (not just nodding your head). Though I didn't catch your opinon to the actual point... do you think we are learning from history?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It's funny that people think everything was better "back in the day" when in fact it was never any better or any worse that what it is now. rose tinted glasses.

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@First_Last: I live in a downtrodden neighborhood in Las Vegas. I get along with most of the people and it's considerably better than where I grew up (North Las Vegas, which is sixty-three percent less gangster than what people perceive it to be), but enough about me.

"do you think we are learning from history?"

Sure, why not. Although I don't believe anything is wrong with society and as a collective it usually sorts out its own problems, within reason. Honestly, we have so much more at our disposal that it might make us appear more logical and efficient than someone from, say, the 1940s. The world is still divided by class, ethnicity and set systems, but honestly that's just what happens with social animals. It's perfection in being.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lykopis

Yes, I think we are learning from history. Outside of what you know, what you are taught - every country has their own curriculum in what and how history is presented. I have no idea what the majority of the posters in this thread know about history, but I have chosen to look deeper past the text-books I have been forced to regurgitate back in some form of essay or test.

So -- for me, I think we are learning from history. As long as we take responsibility for what we know of it, and learn from it. Something along the lines of three steps forward, two steps back.

@batman11223 said:

but you would have to agree that in today's society our morality is based on what the christian bible teaches

Um, no.

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batman11223

then where are our morality's determined or defined?

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman11223: Are you referring to the morality of the original Jesuits?

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By batman11223

im referring to the christian bible

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman11223: You are aware the belief systems were all rather contemporary, fundamental and equally scrutinized via political and social motives, right? However, at its core, it pleaded to the higher powers with a mask of victimization.

batman11223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By batman11223

hahaha ya man im just yankin your chain. You seem to know what your talkin about though. lol

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman11223: Not really. I am an idiot.

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zauberin  Moderator

Yeah, the world pretty much sucks.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By majestic99

NO

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@spiderbat87 said:

It's funny that people think everything was better "back in the day" when in fact it was never any better or any worse that what it is now. rose tinted glasses.

This, this, this a million times this!