Are Torrents stealing or sharing?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Are Torrents stealing or sharing? (46 votes)

Stealing 17%
Sharing 48%
Depends 24%
No opinion 13%

And please explain why.

• 
magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix: Whats the difference between torrenting it and taking it from a movie store without paying?

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hylian: Whats the difference between torrenting it and taking it from a movie store without paying?

Do You really need to ask that question? If You take something from the store it is no longer in the store is it? If You download something form the website, it is still there? How can You possibly se no difference?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By magnablue

@botanix said:

@hylian: Whats the difference between torrenting it and taking it from a movie store without paying?

Do You really need to ask that question? If You take something from the store it is no longer in the store is it? If You download something form the website, it is still there? How can You possibly se no difference?

Your doing the same thing. You are using something that someone else created without their permission

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix: Well that post didn't show up. But I just don't see how you can't grasp the concept that you aren't paying for something, using it, then claim that you didn't steal it.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

If I buy a plant and it grows and produces "seeds" and I plant those seeds, or give them away, or sell them, is that stealing? Do I owe the Home Depot money for using the seeds that were produced from their plant?

lol

Buying the seeds makes them and what they produce your property, that's not the same as buying copy righted materials. You only own the right to view, not distribute.

only because of the laws. so like i said. slap some laws on the seeds and the same thing happens. hence my comparison.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By botanix

@hylian: Well that post didn't show up. But I just don't see how you can't grasp the concept that you aren't paying for something, using it, then claim that you didn't steal it.

Did You pay for comic vine logo at the top of the site or any other content? No. It is copyrighted, You are using it ( watch it ), You did not pay for it, You downloaded it on Your PC. Does it mean You stole it?

I on the other hand can't grasp the concept that You are having such a hard time understanding simple things. And the simple thing is Downloading =/= uploading.

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By botanix

Movies/music/comicvine logo are copyrighted.

You can download that logo, print it, flush it down the toilet when You are out of toilet paper or hang on the wall. You are not allowed to share it - thats the difference.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: I'm paying for it through ads

No You are not.

I am going to say it with all the respect a I can possibly master. Talking to You is like talking to a wall so I am done here.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix said:

@hylian: I'm paying for it through ads

No You are not.

I am going to say it with all the respect a I can possibly master. Talking to You is like talking to a wall so I am done here.

Hey bro don't mess with my bro! messing with my bros is cause enough for me to bro out! You don't want that kind of heat bro!

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Torrents are sharing but it is illegal to "Share" copyrighted material if someone where to post a Disney movie on Youtube and you downloaded it, it could be considered Illegal according to the FBI warning at the beginning. Generally however this is hard to track and prove so they more focus on the people who upload the information. I know people that have had messages from their internet company that say they are Uploading things to the internet through torrents that are copyright and get threats to have their internet shut off.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssassin: Yes and not even once you will get a warning when You only download because its legal. Fbi message is abou distribution not downloading

ssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix: someone putting a video online to be downloaded is considered distribution. Though they do usually say for profit in the warnings but that doesn't really seam to matter. They also mention public viewing and if you go to a court house they have a movie playing which could also be considered in violation

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssassin: yes it means you cannot download it and display to public - share. But as long as You only download and do it for Your own use You are fine.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix said:

@ssassin: yes it means you cannot download it and display to public - share. But as long as You only download and do it for Your own use You are fine.

Your opinion on that and the law are two totally different things.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By BeaconofStrength

It's not stealing. It'd be like if someone stole your car, but your car is still there in the morning.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOS in most countries states you can lend it to anyone , but this is mass distribution by breaking copyright rules. in other sense there is a loop hole. if you can lend it through the net even if its from point to point through the server ,you are basically making a copy and sending it . with the original copy with you .

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's stealing, but I just don't care.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: But what if I had the power to create a copy of any car I ever touched? What if I touched a Ferrarri and made 4 billion copies of it so everyone could have it free?

Wouldn't that make Ferrarri bankrupt? Lol.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its funny that thug rappers boast about being hardcore but then get mad when you steal their music...

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@botanix said:

According to the definitoin of stealing, it is not.

steal[ stēl ] VERB

take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it:

How so?

I was just debating with my brother about this topic, and I wish I had that definition. I don't think he would care, but I appreciate you posting it! :)

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People that call it "stealing" doesn't know the meaning of the word.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what you are uploading, if it is an unlicensed/free software then it is ok. But if you are uploading software that are licensed and propitiatory in nature then that is pirating.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on what you are uploading, if it is an unlicensed/free software then it is ok. But if you are uploading software that are licensed and propitiatory in nature then that is pirating.

Not uploading, just downloading.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overlordarthas said:

Still the same, downloading software, documents, etc. that are legally the ownership of an individual/business entity that are meant to be sold and made profit upon and you are getting it for free makes you an accessory to the crime. Though your punishment my not be as severe as the ones orchestrating the piracy itself, but if caught, your PC Unit or any electronic device where the stolen file is housed can be confiscated.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mandarinestro

@mandarinestro said:
@overlordarthas said:

Still the same, downloading software, documents, etc. that are legally the ownership of an individual/business entity that are meant to be sold and made profit upon and you are getting it for free makes you an accessory to the crime. Though your punishment my not be as severe as the ones orchestrating the piracy itself, but if caught, your PC Unit or any electronic device where the stolen file is housed can be confiscated.

But that's what the IP laws say. I'm talking about your personal thoughts from the moral/philosophical perspective.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#85 BumpyBoo  Moderator

This one got locked too:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/is-torrenting-comics-stealing-1458802/?page=2

Probably because of this, it's unfortunate but you can't discuss the morality of piracy without some people promoting it, and promoting it is against site rules:

11. No Piracy

Pretty basic, do not add links to illegal downloads. Don’t talk about downloads or promote them on the site. It can get the site in a lot of trouble and also cause massive issues for the staff.