Are SMITE's Goddesses Too Sexy?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Don't play SMITE (or any MOBAs for that matter), but I found interesting enough to share.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Skimmed through. They're ugly.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No such thing as 'too sexy'.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My question is this, though: if you can use Hindu deities in stuff like comics and video games, why not God or Jesus? Shouldn't they be fair game as well? After all, Hinduism is the world's third largest religion, just behind Christianity and Islam. It's not like it's some dying pagan religion very few people practice anymore.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#5  Edited By wildvine

My question is this, though: if you can use Hindu deities in stuff like comics and video games, why not God or Jesus? Shouldn't they be fair game as well? After all, Hinduism is the world's third largest religion, just behind Christianity and Islam. It's not like it's some dying pagan religion very few people practice anymore.

The fantastic Four met God. Ghost Rider met Jesus, and Howard the duck has met God and Jesus.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's funny when religious people get their panties in a twist.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RisingBean

Might have to do with the fact that Jesus is a pacifist. I suppose one could make the vengeful aspect of God much as they did Zeus.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@smashbrawler said:

The fantastic Four met God.

Yeah, but that was Jack Kirby, which is kinda close I guess, but not quite the real deal.

Ghost Rider met Jesus

That turned out to be a demon, actually.

and Howard the duck has met God and Jesus.

Eh, it's Howard the Duck so I'm not sure how much it counts, I meant an appearance in a more serious tone.

I guess there's stuff like Preacher, Battle Pope and that Jesus was a Doctor in the WildStorm universe, but those are very specific exceptions, the latter being probably the most daring one (which is weird considering how Christianity is treated in the first two, like I said, it's a thing of tone).

@smashbrawler said:

Might have to do with the fact that Jesus is a pacifist. I suppose one could make the vengeful aspect of God much as they did Zeus.

Well, I don't mean having Jesus kick demon ass or something, I was going more for the whole reinterpretation part, as Hindu deities seem to be subject to this quite a lot while I only see one Jesus through all of media (and he's usually treated with a lot more reverence).

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: It may be that his lacking a warrior aspect sorta leaves him out of the action packed stories that the Hindu, Greek, Norse and other pantheons go with. There is little point in including him in action games.

Jesus is a guy with a beard. Teaches you to love people.

Thor is a guy with a war hammer and lightning.

Kali is a four armed, severed head carrying death Goddess.

Who are you playing as?

As for respect it may have to do with the fact that in the West most people take the polytheistic pantheons as pretend and actually believe in the God of the Bible and Koran. I'm sure that the respect things is off however. People make fun/light of any and all gods in one way or another.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10 JediXMan  Moderator

Man, I love Game Theory!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as "too sexy"

jeepeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Check out a game called Darskiders. :P

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might have to do with the fact that Jesus is a pacifist.

He wasn't a pacifist, I don't know where you all come up with this stuff.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RisingBean

@racob7: Ok. Outside of his whupping of the tax guys at the temple. Jesus wasn't exactly kicking people in the chest on the regular.

Where I came up with it is the whole "Turn the other cheek" philosophy. That's pretty pacifistic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: This article should help. http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/06/jesus-christ-was-not-a-pacifist-2/

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Nice video I agree with what he says. They were doing good with the source material and the Goddesses are fine to show skin they shouldn't have to be covered up when it's part of the mythology(for me).

They don't have God because you can't fight a omnipotent obviously. It was brought up in the video as for Jesus he would be able to auto revive since that's what was said in the bible.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7: Interesting read. And in light of, I'll change my stance somewhat. Jesus himself was not personally violent (with the exception at the temple) however he understood the need of people to have arms and to defend themselves.

However in the context of the game, I think that by comparison to war gods such as Kali or Thor, Jesus would come off as a pacifist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkazrael999 said:

No such thing as 'too sexy'.

@tehstranger said:

There's no such thing as "too sexy"

Also I think the character designs in the game are fine, they aren't any worse than the original depictions of the beings in question, the only difference is their boobs are perkier and a little bigger and their butts are rounder, and im totally fine with that lol

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMITE is awesome. I was actually going to make a thread asking to see else who plays it.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RisingBean

@racob7 said:

@risingbean: Agreed, he also isn't a god.

Eh. He is another "aspect" of God. He's God put to flesh for a purpose. But he is God.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: He was an admirable human being, isn't that enough?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7: Not if you're a Christian.

But if you're not, then sure.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:
@smashbrawler said:

The fantastic Four met God. Ghost Rider met Jesus, and Howard the duck has met God and Jesus.

TOAA doesn't count (in my opinion)

Also what about Ghost rider

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki said:

@smashbrawler said:

They don't have God because you can't fight a omnipotent obviously. It was brought up in the video as for Jesus he would be able to auto revive since that's what was said in the bible.

Alright, I think people have been missing the point of my original post (to be fair, I worded it pretty terribly). What I meant to say is, why fictionalize Hindu deities like this? People seem to hold them in the same regard as the Greek or Nordic pantheons, but Hinduism is practiced by billions of people even today. It just annoys me that just because it's a foreign (since most of this stuff is made in America, including SMITE) polytheistic religion it's seen as a lesser religion as well (and this is all coming from a lapsed Catholic, mind you).