#1 Edited by TheSpiritStalker (2103 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose some religions attempt to answer this question. For example, the whole Adam & Eve ordeal could mean humans are naturally good but inherit evil. What are your thoughts, are humans good or evil. If your inner being is entirely good does that make you perfect morally and in thoughts and actions. Is evil what makes us imperfect. I think human beings have unlimited freedom to do good or evil. Every man can be a Saint or Sinner. Can good and evil co-exist within a soul, doesn't that spark confrontation?

#2 Edited by Z3RO180 (6897 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by TheSpiritStalker (2103 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all about the individual. Everyone is born with innate tendencies and niches. There is no good or evil. Only tendencies and life influence. People like to argue about nature versus nurture but I think it's reasonable to assume both are at play. Someone like myself who has seen and been around some rough things can react one of two ways to them. One, let it be your guide and make the same makes. Two, let it be your example and learn from it. Then again some are born with the disability to discern and if you're young enough you can be influenced by anything.

I'm sort of going everywhere at once with this but the point is basically that human behavior is a big game of trial and error. Will plays a part. Biology plays a part.

#5 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

Both, so naturally good, some not so much. Some in the middle

I, despite being religious, don't really believe in souls and it's all chemical reaction :D ( but fighting those chemicals in the universal name of good..is good :D don't quote me on anything )

#6 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (28542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm waiting for @sc to come in here and make a massive post that makes tons of sense lol.

#7 Posted by SC (13985 posts) - - Show Bio

Good and evil are literally human created and evolved words that represent human constructed concepts that exist to explain in simple ways multiple complicated other concepts that for good generally reflect favorable and ideal positive attributes, outcomes and ideas and evil that reflect negative and unfavorable outcomes, ideas and attributes. Sometimes one can make objective assertions as far as the make up of what constitutes evil or good, but most people historically especially utilize subjective standards based on personal experience to lay claim on what is good and evil. Are humans good or evil? Its a bit like asking if humans are tall or short, it really depends on what you mean and what definitions and criteria you are using. Then the question behind the question as well as the question behind the phrasing. Natural in what sense? What if people don't think evil is actually real beyond a projected concept collecting negative actions, intent and ideas? To me humans are just humans, evil is a lazy concept and you can't generalize good actions and bad actions since humans naturally have potential for both and the reasons, outcome, motivation, intent, and many other factors all play roles in defining actions and sometimes its a lot more complicated than good or bad.

#8 Posted by Decoy Elite (29923 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither, people are just naturally people.

#9 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2617 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by SC (13985 posts) - - Show Bio

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

I'm waiting for @sc to come in here and make a massive post that makes tons of sense lol.

I change my mind, thats evil how you could predict that heh heh. Oh and thank you too. ^_^

#11 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are naturally human. We do good and bad and nothing stops us from doing either except ourselves. I do think it is easier for a person to do bad.

#12 Posted by TheDarkDaredevil (554 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok i will tell you how i see it humans have emotions love rage depression... etc like if you have money wife every thing you like you don't have to bother doing something they can just enjoy their life and the things they love but if they don't have nothing and has kids and they have nothing to eat they will do bed things like killing for money roboing a bank stealing cars and very very evil things or when someone beats you every day and you can't do nothing you will get angry and you will have twisted emotions and then you may start killing or start hurting humans or animals so that is the way i see it.

#13 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2617 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are Inherently Evil - YouTube

All Men Are Born Evil. (Paul Washer) - YouTube

Genesis 6:5 (KJV)

5: And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Genesis 8:21 (KJV)

21: And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

#14 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (28542 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Your welcome =D

#15 Posted by Nefarious (24810 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans can be either one.

#16 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (37001 posts) - - Show Bio

they are naturally human

#17 Edited by Z3RO180 (6897 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespiritstalker: I think I want I CE cream that's what I want if that's good or evil I don't care I just want ice cream

#18 Posted by Nerx (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

We trust our instincts and act upon them

those dichotomous notions are just crap made by people so we don't eat each other

#19 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

No such thing as any creature being naturally good or evil. Not only are those terms subjective but the presupposition there is a consensus of those terms make the question unanswerable.

I do think humanity is awesome, though.

#20 Posted by laflux (18551 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I do think humanity is awesome, though.

Why thank you =D

Also this

#21 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29515 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

Not only are those terms subjective but the presupposition there is a consensus of those terms make the question unanswerable.

Pretty much this.

#22 Posted by mikethekiller (8535 posts) - - Show Bio

Humans are just humans.

#23 Edited by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Racob7 (6605 posts) - - Show Bio

Naturally we are neither.

#25 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (19012 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Good and evil are literally human created and evolved words that represent human constructed concepts that exist to explain in simple ways multiple complicated other concepts that for good generally reflect favorable and ideal positive attributes, outcomes and ideas and evil that reflect negative and unfavorable outcomes, ideas and attributes. Sometimes one can make objective assertions as far as the make up of what constitutes evil or good, but most people historically especially utilize subjective standards based on personal experience to lay claim on what is good and evil. Are humans good or evil? Its a bit like asking if humans are tall or short, it really depends on what you mean and what definitions and criteria you are using. Then the question behind the question as well as the question behind the phrasing. Natural in what sense? What if people don't think evil is actually real beyond a projected concept collecting negative actions, intent and ideas? To me humans are just humans, evil is a lazy concept and you can't generalize good actions and bad actions since humans naturally have potential for both and the reasons, outcome, motivation, intent, and many other factors all play roles in defining actions and sometimes its a lot more complicated than good or bad.

Yeah pretty much this.

I think when it comes to this I think we should be talking about morality. Instead of concepts of good and evil because like you said they are simply constructed concepts. Even though morality is also a construct, or to an extent at least it makes more sense to approach it from that direction instead of looking at "good" and "bad".

#26 Edited by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

^ladies and gentlemen

#27 Posted by inferiorego (28822 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no such thing as good or evil. It's all how we, in our own separate cultures, view people's actions. I'm cool with a woman getting an education and a job. In some cultures, that's considered evil.

Staff
#28 Posted by The Stegman (27266 posts) - - Show Bio

We are neither. Good and Evil are concepts and vague, subjective moral stamps.

#29 Edited by cloudzackvincent (1049 posts) - - Show Bio

i think inherently, humans are good.

#30 Edited by WillPayton (10372 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to defined "good" and "evil" first.

#31 Edited by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

We all have the capability to commit acts of great kindness or great horror. It's what we choose that defines us :)

#32 Posted by KingOfAsh (3640 posts) - - Show Bio

No they aren't. A baby is not evil.

#33 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Good as a whole, if we were naturally evil then we would not have flourished as a species, we would be solitary creatures living in caves. Morals are a different story but I still think people are more good than bad.

There is also such a thing as good or evil, Yes its a concept created by man but that doesn't make it any less real.

#34 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (13480 posts) - - Show Bio

We're a whole lot better then what we give ourselves credit for that for sure,

#35 Posted by russellmania77 (16073 posts) - - Show Bio

What would lex luthor say

#36 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Morality is philosophical. I think humans are all inherently stupid.