#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Systems like the 3ds and Psvita have faded into the background this generation? Competition from smartphones is a big factor.

Do you think handheld consoles are dying? What do you think is the reason?

#2 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Always thought they were kind of dead, aside from old ass Gameboys Ive never known anyone with one of these newer handhelds.

#3 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, they've always been slowly dying I've thought. I mean its convenient that you can take your game with you, but nothing beats the comforting feel and experience of a PC/console atmosphere. Plus, haven't handheld games been lacking in the quality of game play compared to PC/console games? idk maybe its just me.

#4 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Pokemon is the only reason you waste a hundred dollars on what becomes a paper weight after your done with it

#5 Posted by ShadowX (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

I love my 3ds kid icarus, mario kart 7, and Fire Emblem are all gamez i love to play right now. Excited for pokemon x and y as well.

#6 Posted by trebean (632 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always preferred Handheld from consoles, since I barely have time to play any console. Also, I switch back to back from two houses, so having a handheld is convenient waste of time for trips. I'd probably still use my DS more than my phone if I ever save up for a phone, still regretting that I gave up my old GBA.

#7 Posted by Xeno_Seeker (414 posts) - - Show Bio

still playing pokemon yellow on my color.

but i'd say so. i mean they cost just as much as a console now. and with that i can do alot more. the only one worth anything is the DS and games are limited. though they are extremely sweet games...OOT is what i'm talking about here lol

#8 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, i plan to get a 3DS after seeing the monumental fail that is supposed to be the next console generation.

Suspect i'm not the only one

#9 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda depressing actually. Many a family road trip was spent on the GBA playing Pokemon or Super Robot Wars by me. Had some good memories with my old Advance SP.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32675 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually no there not, handheld consoles are the most popular games consoles in Asia

#11 Posted by dngn4774 (2725 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Kinda depressing actually. Many a family road trip was spent on the GBA playing Pokemon or Super Robot Wars by me. Had some good memories with my old Advance SP.

What's so depressing? Kid's these days are just gonna have the same memories on a tablet instead. I'm not so crazy about touch screen gameplay but I think that handhelds are obsolete.

Though I sometimes get this strange feeling that the gaming world is about to hit its darkest year soon.

#12 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Consoles are dying.

#13 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Handhelds were never really popular, except for the PSP and NDS.

#14 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

Pokemon is the only reason you waste a hundred dollars on what becomes a paper weight after your done with it

Lol! Yeah this, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem will probably why I'll get a 3DS. xD Bought the PSP ages ago for Crisis Core.

#15 Edited by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

and the GameBoy.

I love my Vita since it's like a PS3 on the go, but there aren't any actual good games for it at the moment.

#16 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@gungunw: GBA was also fairly popular, but people only really bought them and pretty much any other Nintendo handheld for the Pokemon games.

#17 Edited by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

BRING BACK THE GAME GEAR!

LOL

#18 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it is.

#20 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't do everything on the net. Look at what they are doing with digital downloads of books and everything digital.

You don't really own it. Don't get ripped off.

Do more off the net.

@nerdork said:

LOL

I like it. I have one some where.

I don't have the television tuner.

#21 Edited by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe said:

You can't do everything on the net. Look at what they are doing with digital downloads of books and everything digital.

You don't really own it. Don't get ripped off.

Do more off the net.

@nerdork said:

LOL

I like it. I have one some where.

I don't have the television tuner.

Mine is nealtly put in my entertainment center ( still play Road Rash and Sonic 2), next to all of my old consoles (and yes, they still work). This is just a picture i got online, I have the tuner, but it broke a long time ago. I also have the lighted-magnifying lense to enlarge the screen. So low-tech compared to today lol, but ya gotta love the classics.

#22 Edited by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

#23 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Maybe you missed the early '90s (not sure how old you two are). The Gameboy and GameGear were very successful. The Atari Lynx did okay, and so did the Game Master. Being the first of their kind, everyone wanted to be in on the new way to play their videogames...and then the Game Boy Color came out in '97 or '98, and $h!t went wild.

#24 Edited by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@awesam said:

Maybe you missed the early '90s (not sure how old you two are). The Gameboy and GameGear were very successful. The Atari Lynx did okay, and so did the Game Master. Being the first of their kind, everyone wanted to be in on the new way to play their videogames...and then the Game Boy Color came out in '97 or '98, and $h!t went wild.

I had Gameboy Color and it was a really nice handheld,I loved to play Pokemon,but 64 was more famous than any handhelds,what I meant was that the handheld were a little famous,but after Nintendo's boom of consoles,Playstation 1 and (finally) Playstation 2,handhelds suffered from a sever sales crisis.With the PSP and the DS,this area started to grow again,but it was too late.

#25 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6942 posts) - - Show Bio

The Nintendo 3ds is pretty cool. I like the games it has, like Animal Crossing, but I think consoles in general are going down.

#26 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@awesam said:

I had Gameboy Color and it was a really nice handheld,I loved to play Pokemon,but 64 was more famous than any handhelds,what I meant was that the handheld were a little famous,but after Nintendo's boom of consoles,Playstation 1 and (finally) Playstation 2,handhelds suffered from a sever sales crisis.With the PSP and the DS,this area started to grow again,but it was too late.

Yeah, there was so much competition between Sony and Nintendo, that they focused purely on their master consoles, and let their handhelds become super obsolete. And, yes, that era is done with. Even if there is a sudden boost of Handheld sales, there will never be a time like the early '90s, when you could be anywhere and see about 1 out of 5 people with a Game Boy. I would say the popularity height came with the Game Boy Color. The GBA was pretty popular too, but that is when they also started to decline. Its sad to see them slowly go away, but games now are way too advanced for the little things anymore.

#27 Edited by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@nerdork said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@awesam said:

Yeah, there was so much competition between Sony and Nintendo, that they focused purely on their master consoles, and let their handhelds become super obsolete. And, yes, that era is done with. Even if there is a sudden boost of Handheld sales, there will never be a time like the early '90s, when you could be anywhere and see about 1 out of 5 people with a Game Boy. I would say the popularity height came with the Game Boy Color. The GBA was pretty popular too, but that is when they also started to decline. Its sad to see them slowly go away, but games now are way too advanced for the little things anymore.

Exactly =D

#28 Edited by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

They're definitely much more in the background but nowhere near dying just yet.

Well Nintendo isn't at least, the Playstation handhelds will be gone soon.

#29 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

Trails In The Sky is a very good JRPG for the PSP. Recommend that to anyone who's a fan of the genre.

#30 Posted by Bruxae (12582 posts) - - Show Bio

Didnt really think they were ever alive.

#31 Posted by Nefarious (18677 posts) - - Show Bio

They are already dead.

#32 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

The golden days of the GBA are gone me and my friends would spend days EV training pokemon those were the good old days.

the virtual boy was a glance of the future there...i said it.

#33 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

Today on the bus I was playing Pokemon on my Gameboy Advance and people were leaning over their seat trying to watch.

#34 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

I still play Pokemon on my DS, Pokemon is also the reason I'm getting a 3DS.

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Not for Nintendo. As far as I'm concerned, that's where its biggest strength is. As for Sony, I think the Vita was the beginning of the end.

#36 Edited by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (9485 posts) - - Show Bio

If they keep pumping out Pokemon games, they're bound to survive...no matter how bad the newer ideas are..

#37 Edited by XImpossibruX (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

The 3DS are selling pretty well.

Also if they keep releasing Pokemon games, Zelda remakes and Mario then the sells should be stellar.

#38 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Gameboy was way more popular during its heyday than PSP or NDS.

#39 Posted by sagejonathan (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

I think both the PS Vita and 3DS are very impressive systems, its just that its extra money that i don't want to spend, even if they have great games. Now why don't people like me want to spend that extra money? Well, firstly I have a home console (PS3 and soon the PS4) that I will always prefer over handhelds. Second, I usually don't play games when I go out. Third, I don't want to spend if its really not necessary and I already have a console.

#40 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Pokemon:

"Pika Pika I Gets Money!"

Pokemon won't allow them to die

#41 Posted by trebean (632 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Pokemon:

I heard that Pokemon will end after Generation 9 or something.

Hopefully, console versions and MMOs will come next.

#42 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@trebean said:

@white_mage said:

According to Pokemon:

I heard that Pokemon will end after Generation 9 or something.

Hopefully, console versions and MMOs will come next.

OMG..................THE MONEY THAT THAT WOULD MAKE...................If I was a woman, I'd get impregnated by someone behind the scenes, cause I'd be set for life

#43 Posted by Edamame (27963 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to my knowledge.

#44 Edited by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio

eventually everything dies out including us :D

#45 Posted by SheenLantern (6205 posts) - - Show Bio

I use my laptop and smartphone for OTG gaming.

#47 Edited by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahaha! Very much so :)