Are all Athiests smarter than Believers?

• 184 results
albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By albusan

Some atheists say that their non-belief comes through superior intelligence. Often pointing out the lower intellegence of those who mantain a believe in religion. The question is why or why not this is a true point.

DIscuss.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

- Eoin Colfer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

Daniel J. Boorstin

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin

I can easily find more if you want.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

- Eoin Colfer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

Daniel J. Boorstin

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin

I can easily find more if you want.

I want more now!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy...

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Jimmies will rustle.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By albusan

@wolverine08: Are you trying to make a point about Albert Einstein's role in the creation of the atomic bomb as a Jewish man?

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be back to fan the flames...

No jimmies shall be spared

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. Atheists aren't smarter. But most of the times they are condescending pricks.

It had to be said. As an atheist myself, I just hate it when people say stuff like "God is your imaginary friend" or stuff like that. Makes me want to puke.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let them rustle....

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Transformers1024

Some of the smartest men and women I have ever met in my life happen be Christians. That said, some of the smartest men and women I've ever met were atheists.

Religion has nothing to do with intelligence. It's about how far your willing to let yourself go.

**I should also note that I've met some VERY stupid Believers and Athisets before someone takes what I say out of context.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

No.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well some people are like that regardless of weather they are an atheist or not.

There are at least just as many religious people who think they are morally superior because of their religion. Or that being an atheist deprives one of wonder on the universe, or that we are somehow more miserable than people who follow religion. Id say that being an atheist gets alot more negative backlash than being religious.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sigh

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

That's an inaccurate gross generalization.

Faith and intelligence are not and have never been interchangeable or determinant of each other.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Well some people are like that regardless of weather they are an atheist or not.

There are at least just as many religious people who think they are morally superior because of their religion. Or that being an atheist deprives one of wonder on the universe, or that we are somehow more miserable than people who follow religion. Id say that being an atheist gets alot more negative backlash than being religious.

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system. Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.....<_<

For the OP; no, some of the smartest men to walk the world have been religious and vise-versa.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not on Comicvine, believers get far more negative backlash and this is the real world.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By willpayton

@scorpion2501 said:

No. Atheists aren't smarter. But most of the times they are condescending pricks.

It had to be said. As an atheist myself, I just hate it when people say stuff like "God is your imaginary friend" or stuff like that. Makes me want to puke.

While no doubt some atheists are condescending pricks, it's really insulting to then claim that "most of the times" they are so. I mean, that's something a real condescending prick would say. You might want to rethink this before you start a flame war.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

How asinine.

Beata

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

Not on Comicvine, believers get far more negative backlash and this is the real world.

This might be true, but CV is not representative of the world. Throughout history, and including today, not believing in the local religion has meant that you were persecuted, forced to convert, driven out, or killed. Again... this is happening at the moment all over the world.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system.

Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.

For the OP; no, some of the smartest men to walk the world have been religious and vise-versa.

People experiences differ. As someone who refuses to be labeled either I've found the opposite to be true.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonez_

I'm pretty sure there are genuine statistics proving that atheists have generally higher IQs. \^_^/

But in all seriousness- nahh. Saying one person is smarter than another person is an incredibly bold and broad statement. There are millions of ways to be smart.

In fact, theists stomp atheists in some areas of knowledge. Such as theology. Though it can be the other way around in some areas too.

All in all, not the smartest man or the dumbest man is anywhere near having the means required to prove or disprove God. So we're all pretty much on an equal playing field.

-Jonez

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

This might be true, but CV is not representative of the world. Throughout history, and including today, not believing in the local religion has meant that you were persecuted, forced to convert, driven out, or killed. Again... this is happening at the moment all over the world.

It probably happens to other believers (persecution) not atheist far more often. No one in America gives a sh!t for the most part about their neighbors going to church.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

Are you trolling? This is one internet forum. Not really sure what you mean when you say this is the real world.

Most of the "negative backlash" I have seen on here isn't that at all it is criticizing religion. There is a difference between outright insulting someone and criticizing religion.

@scorpion2501 said:

While no doubt some atheists are condescending pricks, it's really insulting to then claim that "most of the times" they are so. I mean, that's something a real condescending prick would do. You might want to rethink this before you start a flame war.

That it is.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would never answer such a stupid question. I'm ghost.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ChillxPill

Humans are smart.

Humans are stupid.

/Thread.

@Jedixman: @SC: @Saren:

Someone lock this.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

Indeed.

It's people that suck, not their beliefs system.

Though, from experience, I've gotten more backlash from religious folks than atheist.

People experiences differ. As someone who refuses to be labeled either I've found the opposite to be true.

...okay?

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hell no

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So far this looks like it can be a safe place for everyone!

Oooooh Happy Day!

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheist aren't smarter, just less gullible.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: I don't understand the question mark. Was there something you needed clarified?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Spidey_Jackson
albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BeaconofStrength
MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MakkyD

@albusan: I'm now beginning to regret bumping this thread...

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011: I don't understand the question mark. Was there something you needed clarified?

Basically, I'm saying you didn't have to state the obvious.

LAL.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

nope, plenty of smart theologians, that's why the can peddle their crap around to appeal to so many people.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

Are you trolling? This is one internet forum. Not really sure what you mean when you say this is the real world.

Most of the "negative backlash" I have seen on here isn't that at all it is criticizing religion. There is a difference between outright insulting someone and criticizing religion.

Hmm, internet forums are really important in these young kids minds.

Some people don't think religion is an idea but just as important as anything in their world and I do think people get a lot more personal then you're admitting with believers.

Either way if you're not like that then good for you and you answered the question.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

LAL.

How are my personal experiences any more obvious than yours? I was just sharing.......... :/

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wolverine008

TOO.MUCH.RUSTLING!

No Caption Provided

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

How are my personal experiences any more obvious than yours? I was just sharing.......... :/

No, I was referring to the experience differ bit, I should have been a tad bit more clear. ^-^

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dernman

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

No, I was referring to the experience differ bit, I should have been a tad bit more clear. ^-^

I was using it as an opener. It felt odd wording the rest without it.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

@albusan said:

Some people don't think religion is an idea but just as important as anything in their world and I do think people get a lot more personal then you're admitting with believers.

Either way if you're not like that then good for you and you answered the question.

...okay...

Well religion is a belief. Regardless of weather how personal it might be to people that doesn't mean it shouldn't excluded from criticism.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@dernman said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:
@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@dernman said:

LAL.

I was using it as an opener. It felt odd wording the rest without it.

Fair enough.

: )

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

@albusan said:

...okay...

Well religion is a belief. Regardless of weather how personal it might be to people that doesn't mean it shouldn't excluded from criticism.

Are you trying to prove something by argueing with them about their religion?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nefarious