Archery in the zombie apocalypse?

Darktimecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How effective would a bow and arrow be in the zombie apocalypse?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Effective if you have the arrows and the aim to last a long time

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Better then a gun if you know how to use it. Due to reusable and craftable ammo.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4 JediXMan  Moderator

If you know how to make new arrows and maintain your bow, it is the perfect weapon.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Yeppers.

But there's really nothing like having an m-16 going on full auto to get your blood pumping.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ Yeppers.

But there's really nothing like having an m-16 going on full auto to get your blood pumping.

and attract zombies within the 10 mile radius in the process

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

only for individual zombies, not a good idea against mass hordes charging at you

maybe from a distance on high ground and clear view of target

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Who said the gun wasn't silenced? :)

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

How many people here have actually fired an arrow from a bow before? I think in reality it would be a terrible weapon. For a start most of the time if the arrow hit the skull at speeds it would break. Arrows aren't meant to hit skulls, they were made to hit the body and cause bleeding etc, they aren't as good as people assume. Plus people here don't realize how hard it is hitting a moving target, it's incredibly hard. People in the ancient times (such as Knights) trained every single day with archery; so much, that they dis-formed their ligaments and thumbs to fire better, and yet they still would find it hard to hit an opponent at range with a long bow. And horse riders who had wonderful aim used light-draw back bows, probably not even enough for an arrow to hit a skull and not break after usage.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Who said the gun wasn't silenced? :)

Suppressors don't actually Silence guns, and in the case of an M-16, they don't actually do a whole lot :)

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if you are really skilled at archery, and have an unlimited supply of arrows

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlphaQ

I wouldn't use one as a dedicated weapon, and I'd prefer a sword to be honest. Like Pyrogram said bows are not that easy to use at range, in combat situations or when looking for headshots, despite what you might imagine from seeing The Walking Dead.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ostyo

Crossbows work great too. :P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Also, "making arrows" isn't easy, considering you'd have to make a new arrow every single time you used it to hit a skull. You won't be reusing arrows after that, they'll shatter or bend/snap upon impact with a skull (if they manage to penetrate). Unless you were using modern arrows (which don't last forever either) you'll run out quick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd have to have perfect arrow placement.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I think one would run out of arrows much earlier than one would think initially. But if skilled enough you would kill a few zombies before that happens though,

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the zombie survival guide. The chances an average joe will even hit a standing object is not that great. It's long. It's clunky and you have to maintain it a lot. Bad for close quarters and finding or making effective arrows won't be often. Zombies will still hear the arrow fly and etc but it's one of the most silent weapons. It is less cost than an actual gun but it is more time consuming. In the end you're better off with a scope and a crossbow.

Avatar image for deactivated-60260d105a8eb
deactivated-60260d105a8eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. If they are slow and stupid zombies, then yes. If they are like WWZ...You run for your life. I'd take a melee weapon. You don't have to reload and you are pretty much set unless they outnumber you.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good I guess

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Stick to the roofs

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Crossbow is a better current weapon. More compact, easier to breakdown. Bolts are easier to maintain than arrows, can be use even under fatigue conditions, and is a complimentary skillset if you know how to fire a firearm, so the adjustment factor is less.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Crossbows are better then Compound Bows/Long Bows ect, in this scenario. The only advantage it does have over modern crossboes is that it can be used as a launch-pad for incendiary ammunition to create fires at range to create static defence lines and to attract attention from rescue parties.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eisenfauste
Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Crossbow is a better current weapon. More compact, easier to breakdown. Bolts are easier to maintain than arrows, can be use even under fatigue conditions, and is a complimentary skillset if you know how to fire a firearm, so the adjustment factor is less.

Crossbows are better then Compound Bows/Long Bows ect, in this scenario. The only advantage it does have over modern crossboes is that it can be used as a launch-pad for incendiary ammunition to create fires at range to create static defence lines and to attract attention from rescue parties.

The above. Because knowledge is our friend.

Outside of crossbows, I'd probably keep a slingshot handy.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not practical against mass hordes especially due to having to load and reload not to mention the number of arrows

if you can do a green arrow or hawkeye or legolas then go for it but beware you don't panic

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the skills, I'd probably go with it. However, I'd probably be moving more often than not, and keep something like a dagger and/or brass knucks for up-close encounters.

I feel like that's the best route, if you're going to use a bow and arrows. Keep moving.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

melee is recommended. hordes need to be avoided