Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Vaeternus

One word. Envy lol

Same reason why the Yankees are hated a lot...if you win alot or are simply how do you say? Better. You will be hated.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

And it never occurred to anyone that Nigeria's national Olympic basketball team is a first rate FOURTH rate team in this whole competition? Pffft...world wants to find fault with anything the USA does anymore. Theworld just wants to see us teeter like we did at the 2002 FIBA World Championships and fail like we did at Athens, 2004.

This

My parents are Nigerian and they said Nigeria had no point in having a basketball team for the Olympics. That it's not one of their primary sports.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@moywar700 said:

1. i remember a 2008 olympics,they took off baseball(i think) because the americans keept on winning and there was nobody to challenged good enough to compete with them.

And we weren't even that good in baseball because we were sending college kids and the other nations were sending their pros that played together all year. Now our softball team dominated just about every Olympics that I can remember there being softball.

I didn't read the article, but did it mention at one point the American team wasn't shooting the ball unless the shot clock was about the run out? What did they want us to just give them the ball or shot it for them?

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Vaeternus

Yeah, kind of lame but whatever. I'm sure by now everyone knows Americans dominate in Baseball at the end of the day so lol. But I hate that because Americans have won consistently in other sports, yet are still on there...I don't like how the Olympics are run, yet they think "curling" is so popular lmao...

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TERMINATORXX

Seem's like the usa has always had the best basketball teams.

Life, others get jealous.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#56  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Necrotic_Lycanthrope@Vaeternus@TERMINATORXX: You guys realise it was an American reporter that was doing the complaining and not the other teams right?
Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Vaeternus

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: @Vaeternus: @TERMINATORXX: You guys realise it was an American reporter that was doing the complaining and not the other teams right?

I read it was also some players, coaches from the opposition. The reporter was obviously siding with them or trying to be "objective" if you can call it that.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Vaeternus said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: @Vaeternus: @TERMINATORXX: You guys realise it was an American reporter that was doing the complaining and not the other teams right?

I read it was also some players, coaches from the opposition. The reporter was obviously siding with them or trying to be "objective" if you can call it that.

At no point did the article say anything like that, infact the Nigerian coach and some of there players said they would find it insulting if the USA took it easy on them
Alpharion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Alpharion

The main issue is that no matter what level of basketball you're playing, after you get up to a point where you are without a doubt going to win the game, you slow the game down, put in your bench, and just maintain the lead you have. I admit that I did not see the game, but winning by 83 points is a bit excessive because it can seem like you're just trying to make the other team look bad. It's mostly just a respect/sportsmanship thing if anything. It's really not a huge deal unless it is clearly intentional, in which case you just look like a massive douche.

Do I think the USA team intentionally point-jockeyed? No I don't. Do any of the other countries think they did? Maybe. It sure doesn't seem like they mind that much.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Vaeternus

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vaeternus said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

At no point did the article say anything like that, infact the Nigerian coach and some of there players said they would find it insulting if the USA took it easy on them

IDK, perhaps different sources said slightly different things. I read that in one, another said or hinted at the opposition being sour over it.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Duke_Nasty
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, well.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Inside haters? Shoot, I knew the newsguys for the most part where scummy, but to diss your own country? That's just low.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Inside haters? Shoot, I knew the newsguys for the most part where scummy, but to diss your own country? That's just low.

If you can't diss your own country who can? Being self critical is healthy.
Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

@Alpharion said:

The main issue is that no matter what level of basketball you're playing, after you get up to a point where you are without a doubt going to win the game, you slow the game down, put in your bench, and just maintain the lead you have. I admit that I did not see the game, but winning by 83 points is a bit excessive because it can seem like you're just trying to make the other team look bad. It's mostly just a respect/sportsmanship thing if anything. It's really not a huge deal unless it is clearly intentional, in which case you just look like a massive douche.

Do I think the USA team intentionally point-jockeyed? No I don't. Do any of the other countries think they did? Maybe. It sure doesn't seem like they mind that much.

Even the coach of Nigeria said that they didn't. The U.S. benched Kobe and Lebron when they were doing good, they put Carmello in there for less than 14 minutes and he was benched for scoring 37 points in that amount of time. Then all our backups that were in were doing fantastic too. People have to remember that this is the Olympics, not the NBA, our backups are still some of the best players in the entire world. That was the issue, it was the second best in the world(our backups) vs their who knows how low they would be ranked if the world had all the countries ranked, we're just better.

@superstay said:

@Uno_Oscuro:

They say Spain is are biggest competition this year.

d^_^b

Normally yes, but they have been putting up lackluster performances. Right now its looking to be Russia vs the U.S. for the gold, it most likely will be.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

I of all people know about self-criticism. Of course it's healthy, but it still sucks to see people hating the country they live in.

Reminds me of the protests of the 60's and 70's.

:(

Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

@moywar700 said:

1. i remember a 2008 olympics,they took off baseball(i think) because the americans keept on winning and there was nobody to challenged good enough to compete with them.

Baseball and Softball were taken off for this years Olympics and the committee flat out admitted they took both off because of American domination.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Jonny_Anonymous:

I of all people know about self-criticism. Of course it's healthy, but it still sucks to see people hating the country they live in.

Reminds me of the protests of the 60's and 70's.

:(

What's wrong with hating the country you live in?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By King_Saturn
well Lithuania played USA very well today... so this idea that USA Basketball is completely invincible is not true... although beating them seems out of the question still. 
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jnr6Lil:

I'm a patriot, so it hurts to see stuff like that happen to a country I love. If it was in a country I don't particularly like/agree with, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem in disliking them.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@King Saturn said:

well Lithuania played USA very well today... so this idea that USA Basketball is completely invincible is not true... although beating them seems out of the question still.

Nah it's not that they're invincible. Nigeria is just a bad team who had no business playing basketball.

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: I guess

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By jinxuandi

The U.S. is so dominant at basketball (men's and women's) I'm surprised the Olympic committee allows it to be an Olympic sport. If the U.S. keep crushing everyone the IOC will probably pull it out of spite.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By King_Saturn
@Jnr6Lil said:

@King Saturn said:

Nah it's not that they're invincible. Nigeria is just a bad team who had no business playing basketball.

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: I guess

Well if the Nigerian team earned their spot to play in the Olympics... why take it away from them ? Yeah they got stomped... but at least least they made the Olympic Trials.
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@King Saturn: True, It's just my parents are Nigerian and felt that they had no place playing a sport, that really isn't one of their primary sports.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#75  Edited By SC  Moderator

No "America" is evil for creating too much news and attention for mundane things. Lots of countries dominate lots of other countries in sports where are the news articles and threads for them? When such threads occur do all the French or Russians start talking about how the whole world hates them again? World is a flipping huge place and rarely prone to agreeing on anything. Its almost as if Americans like to foster this idea of resentment from the rest of the world into other Americans? To create controversy? To promote more patriotism in its people? Nothing like loving a country because you were born there or people because they were born in the same country as yours. Who needs things like appreciating something because of its objective merits. Other countries do this too of course naturally, some even do it better than America, usually patriotism through extreme government controlled media regulation, as opposed to the illusion of freedom. Still I wonder why America hates Italy so much. I mean America constantly and obsessively criticizes Italy. Death to Italy and all that, just looking for reasons to hate and mock Italy. I mean hello Italians, there are more countries out there than yours. Then again maybe its envy, or jealousy? Nah, who needs to be jealous when your We are Number 1, We are Number 1. 

So I personally think this is freaking awesome for American Basketball Olympics team, and testament to their skill and talent, and they should be celebrated the same way all countries teams who do well should be celebrated, and yeah, sometimes a person can take anything and ask questions from it, good questions or bad questions, but surely we can learn to recognize the validity of such questions and their worth without turning everything into an us(a?) vs them thing? The world, as in the actual world away from the one presented by FOX news (or some other random reporters trying to make a story) is really probably more closer to apathy towards America than filled of hate or love, and the ignorant probably do have a caricatured view of America just like the well informed and intelligent know to assess things not by generalities or countries maps lines but by specifics and the merits of. Hopefully all individuals of all countries operate as such. Well except those Italians who like to make every single little thing about them.     

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@SC: I don't see why we can't as a country compete against the world in headlines. The rest of the world compares itself to us all that time and usually when the US is losing.

Maybe the thread title is a bit misleading, but to judge out entire country because of that is kind of crass. Also, I have never heard of this Italian hate you speak of. Pop Culture and news shows make fun of Italian Americans from Jersey and other places on the East Coast, but that's because we're subject to an overflow of Jersey-Based reality shows that are really, really horrible.

Also, this win was record breaking. There is nothing wrong with celebrating and being proud of this victory.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#77  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Now evil? We've always been evil. -puts monocle back on continues to drink the blood of virgins-

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@DoomDoomDoom: Don't forget the orphan's tears. It adds that extra kick.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#79  Edited By SC  Moderator
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@SC: I don't see why we can't as a country compete against the world in headlines. The rest of the world compares itself to us all that time and usually when the US is losing.

Maybe the thread title is a bit misleading, but to judge out entire country because of that is kind of crass. Also, I have never heard of this Italian hate you speak of. Pop Culture and news shows make fun of Italian Americans from Jersey and other places on the East Coast, but that's because we're subject to an overflow of Jersey-Based reality shows that are really, really horrible.

Also, this win was record breaking. There is nothing wrong with celebrating and being proud of this victory.

Honestly and sincerely, I can't see where any of your points address anything from my actual post? I don't see why any country can't compete against the world in headlines either? The rest of the world often compares itself to the rest of the world, and they usually adopt winners and losers? Who is judging what now? Oh, well my point with Italy was a demonstration, since I actually hear more from Americans about America being hated by the rest of the world than from the actual rest of the world as far as proportionate to hate to other countries. So I just took a random country and decided that there is more hate towards it proportionally than there is, in the hopes that maybe posters might start saying nice and supportive things about Italy and how other countries are actually just jealous of it and envious because then wouldn't that be ironic? I know this win was record breaking, thats why I said it was freaking awesome and a testament to their skill and talent, and there is definitely nothing wrong with it being celebrated, or with being proud? I guess we agree there since I said that myself, in my post? 
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: IMO patriotism is pointless 
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By cattlebattle
@Nefarious said:
Nothing surprises me, anymore.
This
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#82  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

It's the Olympics. They shouldn't hold back no matter how well they're doing.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By joshmightbe

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Vaeternus said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I pointed out twice that it wasn't Nigeria doing the complaining, just a few reporters.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All sport is boring.

Just saying,basketball isn't evil just boring,unless you count boredom as evil then we might have a problem on our hands.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Why? Is it all forms? Or extremist nationalism?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Why? Is it all forms? Or extremist nationalism?

Why should some put blind faith in dirt and lines on a map?
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

It's not maps that patriots are for, but rather the flag they are united under. Sure sometimes patriotism is turned to hash, like with Stalin Russia and Hitler's Germany, but in the case of the US, it's what binds different people under a common theme.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Jonny_Anonymous:

It's not maps that patriots are for, but rather the flag they are united under. Sure sometimes patriotism is turned to hash, like with Stalin Russia and Hitler's Germany, but in the case of the US, it's what binds different people under a common theme.

I'd rather have my own theme tbh
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

It's your choice to do so. I choose to live under the flag. Most western countries allow the freedom of open beliefs.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Jonny_Anonymous:

It's your choice to do so. I choose to live under the flag. Most western countries allow the freedom of open beliefs.

and I choose to live under nothing. My loyalty goes to my friends and family and the people who work hard not to a piece of land where I just happened to be born 
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Dude, chill. I didn't mean to upset you. :(

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Dude, chill. I didn't mean to upset you. :(

Oh don't get me wrong, I is chill :-)
No Caption Provided
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Aww, tickle the kitty. :3

dwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dwade

ARGENTINA WILL WIN GOLD prepare yourself usa

p.d:why rondo is not in the usa team ¬¬

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Vaeternus

@mrdecepticonleader said:

All sport is boring.

Just saying,basketball isn't evil just boring,unless you count boredom as evil then we might have a problem on our hands.

I think that's matter of opinion. Personally, I don't think all sports are boring but some others I don't know how they're taken that seriously...like Curling for example lol

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vaeternus said:

All sport is boring.

I think that's matter of opinion. Personally, I don't think all sports are boring but some others I don't know how they're taken that seriously...like Curling for example lol

I understand its an opinion.What annoys me most about sport is indeed how seriously its taken.I mean its something trivial yet its made out to be something more.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#97  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@mikethekiller said:

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Stegman said:

Basketball is boring anyway, Badminton is where it's at.

yea if the badminton teams aren't throwing their matches.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Vaeternus

@Vaeternus said:

All sport is boring.

I understand its an opinion.What annoys me most about sport is indeed how seriously its taken.I mean its something trivial yet its made out to be something more.

I hear ya, that's because sports, while it's merely a game has been turned into something more then that. A business, thus why it's taken super seriously now.

I'm waiting for video games to get to that level, right now you have MLG and tournaments but it's not quite there yet. Once they start having pros for every game literally forget about it lol. But I don't think that should happen.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vaeternus said:

@Vaeternus said:

All sport is boring.

I hear ya, that's because sports, while it's merely a game has been turned into something more then that. A business, thus why it's taken super seriously now.

I'm waiting for video games to get to that level, right now you have MLG and tournaments but it's not quite there yet. Once they start having pros for every game literally forget about it lol. But I don't think that should happen.

I think part of the reason is sport has so much media spotlight put on it you cant turn the TV or the radio on without hearing about it.People have fights about it too,if someone is willing to hurt someone else over a football score they really need to get out more.