Anyone here know a thing or two about African History?

• 99 results
cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

If so,tell me if this (racist) guy is factually correct. Not only factual,but logical (as in his thinking) if you can as well,if not,that's fine.

Starting in the 16 , 17 th centries whites created a false image of africa and its civilizations. While creating a great image for themselves !. Why dont american public schools teach african civilizations ?!. Why dont they teach about the eastern euro slave trade that saw millions of whites shipped into north africa ?!. The term slave came from slav as in slavic people. Why not teach about the french and italian invasions thereof which occured in the 20th cen ?!. .

All of africa belongs to the original darkskin and brown people. Its common truth. Check the orgins of regions hello. The white looking light skin people in northern africa are fakes claiming to be what they arent. They simply adopted african cultures ....:-) Native africans carry the wolds oldest genetic dna and are the most diverse via phenotype etc. Check out the proto cushite linked dravindians the first black indians of india via ooa .

He called the light skinned occupants of Africa "fake",because:

Fake as in non original occupiers of the land. Fake as in claiming to be north african etc when they arent authentically !!!!. Yes it does mean that they are fake , they didnt buid any pyramis nor created the worlds first civilizations and languages black hamitic / shemitic ethnic groups did.

The White, and White-like, rulers and ruling elite in the former lands of Black civilizations, are not who they claim to be. Specifically those of Egypt are NOT Egyptians, those of North Africa are NOT Berbers, those of Arabia are NOT Arabs, those of Palestine are NOT Hebrews, those of Lebanon are NOT Phoenicians, those of Iraq are NOT Mesopotamian's, those of Iran are NOT Persians or Elamites, those of Turkey are NOT Anatolians - THEY ARE ALL CENTRAL ASIAN TURKS!

No the egyptians ( kemetians ) were black africans who came up from the south from the drying sahara. Some migrated south others north. The first pharohs came out of nubia which was a even older hamitic civilization. You are wrong and very ignorant !!!!. African peoples are of thousands of different ethnic groups and did mix among themselves. But the white looking mongrel people in north africa etc are the offspring of invaders who are claiming to be what they arent.

Modern egyptian are mixed mongrel stupid . Mainly turks from the ottaman period. Outside groups have gone throughout north wfrica mixing with natives and driving them south. Look at sudan the peoples are mostly black because lower egypt , upper sudan was never invaded as bad . Learn why noses were knocked off certain artwork re worked and the meaning of paintings and symbols its all black african. This is documented by the kemetians and outside invaders and historians themselves. .

Tell me,is any of this true? Is he leaving things out?

Also,he called me "whitewashed" because I don't share the same views as him. He says that White people are keeping me as a "mental slave" -.-

Yeah,because white people (as if they have anything to do with it or race has something to do with it) have formed a group whos goal is to keep me from learning about African History -____-

Yup,that is why I know nothing of African history.....nothing to do with the fact that I was never taught it since it's not crucial to me and I never cared to look it up for the same reasons.

That's right black viners....they are keeping us from learning the truth!

Facepalm

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jnr6Lil

It's true. Racism start with the European's fear and disgust of African tribal society. They saw them as savages

And I will say you might be whitewashed. My parents are Nigerian, and I know so many blacks with american parents, that don't know anything about their ancestry other than the South. All because in slavery, alot of African slaves didn't pass down their ancestry, along with slavemasters teaching the slaves nothing of where they came from.

That slave mentality still exists to this day, my friend.

It's not your fault for not looking it up, but one of the reasons you probably aren't could be what America, has already taught you about Africa. Not saying you have to go study the continent (History can be boring no matter what race).

To me, knowing that you're from Africa, and accepting it (Not saying you're African-American yet making fun of their culture, but knowing it's importance), is good enough for me :)

Just don't be insulted by what he's saying. He's trying to teach you something, just not using the right approach for it.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should make a thread called Do you know a thing or two about Mexicans history? But I don't care about that either... P.s. Mexican American btw so don't start flamin me

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cameron83:

He was supercilious in how he presented his facts, but yes, most of what he said is true.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

It's true. Racism start with the European's fear and disgust of African tribal society. They saw them as savages

And I will say you might be whitewashed. My parents are Nigerian, and I know so many blacks with american parents, that don't know anything about their ancestry other than the South. All because in slavery, alot of African slaves didn't pass down their ancestry, along with slavemasters teaching the slaves nothing of where they came from.

That slave mentality still exists to this day, my friend.

It's not your fault for not looking it up, but one of the reasons you probably aren't could be what America, has already taught you about Africa. Not saying you have to go study the continent (History can be boring no matter what race).

To me, knowing that you're from Africa, and accepting it (Not saying you're African-American yet making fun of their culture, but knowing it's importance), is good enough for me :)

Just don't be insulted by what he's saying. He's trying to teach you something, just not using the right approach for it.

I understand what you're saying,and I knew that what he said wasn't really inaccurate since I knew that many of those things were true,but it's kinda the way he presents the information.And some of the things he is saying (I don't really know what to think of it),but the current light skinned africans there are "fakers".They contributed nothing to the land and such and that is what he is saying and that they are apparently "fakers".

About the whitewashed thing,I know and understand that during slavery,Africans were kept from education and such...I do know that.But the America thing...that's not why I never look it up.It's kinda the same reason i don't look up other cultures and histories.A lack of interest and laziness.

What do you mean "slave mentality"? If it is in regard of African History,then yeah,I know....It's unfortunately true...however,some people don't know not necessarily because they weren't taught it.Just that they don't really care to know (I am having a hard time conveying my thoughts since I am overwhelmed with 200 other things,but do you get the jist of what I am saying).

However,their ignorance of their history has little to do with not being taught.It's kinda more like they just don't care to know....I mean,I don't even know about my family history (even though my family is from Jamaica).But yea,the reason a lot of black americans don't know is because their ancestors weren't taught it....at the same time,many of them today have no interest at all in their history....

Right now there are 10000000000000 things in my head,so if what I say makes no sense,or if I have 100 grammatical errors,just be patient,okay?

I am not saying you are wrong,but can you just elaborate a bit?

Be patient with me.... ^.^

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cameron83

@wolverine08 said:

@cameron83:

He was supercilious in how he presented his facts, but yes, most of what he said is true.

ah,okay thanks :)

@russellmania77 As said earlier,you don't really get the point of the thread.What you said has nothing to do with this.....

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@cameron83: They aren't fakers, but some of the lighter-skinned Africans in North Africa are simply colonists.

Slave mentality as in the psychological scars of slavery still exist. Look at how many blacks are on welfare, nothing but a modern day form of slavery where the black man begs for a white man to provide his needs.

And part of why they don't have interest is because of what they were taught in slavery. They already have a preconceived notion that Africans are savages, so therefore they don't want anything to do with them.

Most blacks don't care about history generally.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@cameron83: They aren't fakers, but some of the lighter-skinned Africans in North Africa are simply colonists.

Slave mentality as in the psychological scars of slavery still exist. Look at how many blacks are on welfare, nothing but a modern day form of slavery where the black man begs for a white man to provide his needs.

And part of why they don't have interest is because of what they were taught in slavery. They already have a preconceived notion that Africans are savages, so therefore they don't want anything to do with them.

Eh.that is not really the case...from firsthand experience,observations,etc..that is not the case....I mean,for some it may be,but in general...it's not.

Also...you do know that there are people on welfare of other races....and I think there are more white women on welfare than African Americans......

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well, I know about the South African Apartheid.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:
@jnr6lil said:

Well, the vast majority of the people in this country who are on Welfare are White, not Black.

this.

Not only that,but some things in there are a bit......inaccurate.VERY inaccurate.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read titles lol

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

@cameron83: Interesting. May I ask which of those things are inaccurate?

Well for one you already pointed out one:

That there are more white people on welfare....so that's one.

You do know that I was saying that there ARE more white people on welfare.I was saying that that IS accurate and a hole in his notion.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cameron83

@edamame said:

@cameron83: Oh, no worries. I was just wondering which specific moments in the history of Africa you wanted to learn more about.

...how about.....ALL OF IT!!!!

MWUAHAHAHAHHA

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jnr6lil said:

Yeah, black people nowadays totally know what it's like to be a slave and know what slaves went through.

Also, black people totally were the only race to be slaves. Welfare is nothing like slavery.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

@cameron83: lol Eh, I mean, I know more of the 20th Century parts of African history. World War II and the Cold War, for instance. Let me know if you have any questions about that. :)

okay,thanks :)

I will most likely have questions..but it's night time (at least where I'm at),so I won't bother you now

@edamame said:

Besides, the first slaves in United States were the Irish, not the Blacks.

also,I remember seeing something about that from this jamaican rasta site......don't ask why >.>

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

Yeah, black people nowadays totally know what it's like to be a slave and know what slaves went through.

Also, black people totally were the only race to be slaves. Welfare is nothing like slavery.

Agreed.........

a

g

r

e

e

d

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White Jews were slaves to Egyptians long before blacks were in America. The Egyptians were rulers of darker skinned people, from present middle east and black people.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cameron83

@edamame said:
@cameron83 said:

@edamame said:

@cameron83: lol Eh, I mean, I know more of the 20th Century parts of African history. World War II and the Cold War, for instance. Let me know if you have any questions about that. :)

okay,thanks :)

I will most likely have questions..but it's night time (at least where I'm at),so I won't bother you now

Feel free to ask whenever you want. :)

@cameron83 said:

@edamame said:

Besides, the first slaves in United States were the Irish, not the Blacks.

also,I remember seeing something about that from this jamaican rasta site......don't ask why >.>

There are some books that pertain to Irish slavery, but it is important to note that there were Irish slaves throughout much of the former British Empire. That includes the British Caribbean. There is a book that I just read, namely Kate McCafferty's Testimony Of An Irish Slave Girl. This book will give you a good idea about these moments in history.

I'll check it out when I get the chance

^.^

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your talking about the first slaves in america it wa snot the irish but the native americans.

And whoever said the Jews were white in egypt,make me laugh. The jews who were enslaved at egypt were most likely dark or tanned skin. Its just that the media likes to whitewash things.

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DigbyKong

@shadowx: the jews were brought from across the nile, they were described as showing blush in the face. White people blush, you can't see dark skinned people blush. modern day jews in israel have mixed with middle eastern people so they are some that are darker. So laugh at that, and the fact your a man in dress.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@biteme_fanboy said:

@jnr6lil said:

They still carry the same mental traits that went from generation to generation, African-Americans not liking Africans, Some Light-skins feeling superior to dark skins, etc all that started in slavery.

And they weren't the only race but slavery in America, is a big difference from slavery in other countries. Understand the connection to welfare and slavery. In slavery, a black person didn't have to work for his food, shelter, clothing, etc. The slavemaster would naturally give that to the worker to keep production growing. 300 years of that mentality, still goes on today.

@edamame said:
@jnr6lil said:

Well, the vast majority of the people in this country who are on Welfare are White, not Black.

Yes, but there's more blacks on welfare, than there isn't. Not comparing it to the entire US, just the specific race

Than again, nowadays people who are well off are using welfare as a scam for free grociers.

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There is truth in much of what he is saying, though he's oversimplifying a great deal, and where information is deficient, he's assuming the possibilities that best fit his world view.

Africa does have the most genetically diverse population on the planet. So diverse that I believe most "black" Africans actually have more in common genetically with Europeans and Asians than they do with Khoisans, a brown skinned group from the Southern half of the continent. "Race as a construct" folks will be quick to point this out.

The Egyptian or Kemetic thing is shaky. Obviously the current majority in Egypt is middle eastern, mostly Arab in origin. Kemet, is what ancient Egyptians referred to their kingdom as- rather KMT, as with many early Semitic languages, it lacks vowels. They did tend to paint themselves Brown, though not "black" there is some contention as to whether the Classical name for KMT meant "Land of black soil" or "Land of the Blacks", as well as what "black" meant to Classical Europeans (Greeks and Romans. I don't think there is a solid conclusion on the skin color of the people of KMT,certainly they did come up from the south, Nubia, as it were- but what that actually says about their ethnic or genetic identity is uncertain, as for most of human history the Sahara (even in its smaller, younger days) has been a major obstacle to migration, and the mingling and spreading of bloodlines. They were darker than Europeans, probably darker than most Arabs, but I doubt they were West African dark. Given the stated genetic diversity of Africa, it may be healthy to assume that they were ethnically distinct from the West African ethnicity familiar to most Americans (who are in turn distinct from the Khoisans and the Pygmies), but at the same time wholly African, at least for the early dynasties.

This poster really needs to decide what it means to be "African" in his definition- you can talk about ethnicity, language family migration, or even superficial outward racial characteristics... but I'd prefer to talk about the first two, as they are more concrete in their definition.

Many early migrations of humans that remained in the tropics retained certain "black" features in their hair and skin, though they are as distinct from Africans as from anyone else genetically. The original inhabitants of South East Asia, as well as Australians and New Guineans fit this.

As for his "fake" rant, I don't know what that's about. The entire middle east is not Turkish. The Ottomans ran the show on a lot of those areas at one time, but so did the Romans. That's like saying that The Irish or Scots are English because the English ruled them for a couple of hundred years. Scots and Irish are Celts, where as the English are a mixture of Germanic Anglo Saxons and Francophone Normans. They are not the same, nor does the rule of empire negate one's ethnicity.

There are political racist reasons for the way Africa is treated in American history books. There is also an absence of concrete history to teach for must of the history of much of the continent. Some of this is by (racist) design- erased history. Some of it is just because large parts of the continent fostered cultures that didn't tend to write down their history ore leave a significant archaeological footprint. There were some major empires in West Africa- most of which established themselves after the spread of Islam to the region. The inhabitants were still African by blood and culture, but you have an obvious outside force importing itself- not that there is any culture in history that escapes this- it seems your poster holds a special contempt for anything of less than pure "black" African stock.

These guys, the Nok are about as African as you can get, and they go back to 1000 BCE-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

These guys are pretty interesting too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Yeah I agree. I understand what the guy is saying, he just doesn't need to be rude about it.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If so,tell me if this (racist) guy is factually correct. Not only factual,but logical (as in his thinking) if you can as well,if not,that's fine.

Starting in the 16 , 17 th centries whites created a false image of africa and its civilizations. While creating a great image for themselves !. Why dont american public schools teach african civilizations ?!. Why dont they teach about the eastern euro slave trade that saw millions of whites shipped into north africa ?!. The term slave came from slav as in slavic people. Why not teach about the french and italian invasions thereof which occured in the 20th cen ?!. .

All of africa belongs to the original darkskin and brown people. Its common truth. Check the orgins of regions hello. The white looking light skin people in northern africa are fakes claiming to be what they arent. They simply adopted african cultures ....:-) Native africans carry the wolds oldest genetic dna and are the most diverse via phenotype etc. Check out the proto cushite linked dravindians the first black indians of india via ooa .

Fake as in non original occupiers of the land. Fake as in claiming to be north african etc when they arent authentically !!!!. Yes it does mean that they are fake , they didnt buid any pyramis nor created the worlds first civilizations and languages black hamitic / shemitic ethnic groups did.

The White, and White-like, rulers and ruling elite in the former lands of Black civilizations, are not who they claim to be. Specifically those of Egypt are NOT Egyptians, those of North Africa are NOT Berbers, those of Arabia are NOT Arabs, those of Palestine are NOT Hebrews, those of Lebanon are NOT Phoenicians, those of Iraq are NOT Mesopotamian's, those of Iran are NOT Persians or Elamites, those of Turkey are NOT Anatolians - THEY ARE ALL CENTRAL ASIAN TURKS!

No the egyptians ( kemetians ) were black africans who came up from the south from the drying sahara. Some migrated south others north. The first pharohs came out of nubia which was a even older hamitic civilization. You are wrong and very ignorant !!!!. African peoples are of thousands of different ethnic groups and did mix among themselves. But the white looking mongrel people in north africa etc are the offspring of invaders who are claiming to be what they arent.

Modern egyptian are mixed mongrel stupid . Mainly turks from the ottaman period. Outside groups have gone throughout north wfrica mixing with natives and driving them south. Look at sudan the peoples are mostly black because lower egypt , upper sudan was never invaded as bad . Learn why noses were knocked off certain artwork re worked and the meaning of paintings and symbols its all black african. This is documented by the kemetians and outside invaders and historians themselves. .

Also,he called me "whitewashed" because I don't share the same views as him. He says that White people are keeping me as a "mental slave" -.-

Yeah,because white people (as if they have anything to do with it or race has something to do with it) have formed a group whos goal is to keep me from learning about African History -____-

Yup,that is why I know nothing of African history.....nothing to do with the fact that I was never taught it since it's not crucial to me and I never cared to look it up for the same reasons.

Facepalm

Sad. I think there needs to be more acceptance of the black community within that community. What I mean is, it seems there is more acceptance of diversity within the European-American community that there is in within the African-American community. It's funny, this issue is interestingly covered in Spike Lee's "School Daze". It's sad to see the same question exists. On the other hand, I think there will always be a degree of difficulty uncovering much of the history of people of African descent aside what is written in history books, and more specifically, how do African-American people trace with accuracy their lineage. Sadly, as we all know, as a people, we were torn away from our community and who or what we were was, in some cases, forcefully ripped away from us. Now, I'm not pointing fingers, but my point, I suppose: how do African-Americans define themselves? To me, African-Americans are a people still struggling to find their identity...but at the same point in time, not be stereotyped. So much of our history from America on is tied to us being considered less than human, at least in the eyes of our European-American contemporaries.

So the question is how do we identify ourselves in the world around us without negatively stereotyping ourselves? Is that even possible? Pick any leading actor, Brad Pitt for example in the latest "World War Z". Now, insert an African-American actor. How does the dynamic change? Be honest? Better yet, how does the director's line's for said actor change? In turn, how much of what European-America perceives about African-Americans is formulated from what they see on TV and movies? Hmmmm.....

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By MrDirector786

Not really an expert but the part about the ancient Egyptians I believe is true. I heard about that a while back and did some research into it and most of what I found convinced me that the Egyptians were black and not Arab like a lot of media depicts them as.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cameron83

@cameron83 said:

Facepalm

Sad. I think there needs to be more acceptance of the black community within that community. What I mean is, it seems there is more acceptance of diversity within the European-American community that there is in within the African-American community. It's funny, this issue is interestingly covered in Spike Lee's "School Daze". It's sad to see the same question exists. On the other hand, I think there will always be a degree of difficulty uncovering much of the history of people of African descent aside what is written in history books, and more specifically, how do African-American people trace with accuracy their lineage. Sadly, as we all know, as a people, we were torn away from our community and who or what we were was, in some cases, forcefully ripped away from us. Now, I'm not pointing fingers, but my point, I suppose: how do African-Americans define themselves? To me, African-Americans are a people still struggling to find their identity...but at the same point in time, not be stereotyped. So much of our history from America on is tied to us being considered less than human, at least in the eyes of our European-American contemporaries.

So the question is how do we identify ourselves in the world around us without negatively stereotyping ourselves? Is that even possible? Pick any leading actor, Brad Pitt for example in the latest "World War Z". Now, insert an African-American actor. How does the dynamic change? Be honest? Better yet, how does the director's line's for said actor change? In turn, how much of what European-America perceives about African-Americans is formulated from what they see on TV and movies? Hmmmm.....

Well,how exactly does that answer my question?

Also:

1. It actually depends on the individual.While what you are saying about our history is true,many African Americans aren't really trying to trace their history.They could care less and they are actually free to. This doesn't account for all.

2. Well actually,there is a lot of diversity and acceptance than the media lets people believe.

3. Sadly the thing about being looked down on is true and it's felt within all communities and done by all communities...it's actually sad,but this is the world we live in.

4. I also agree with the stereotypes.I mean,people suppose that somehow,because I am black,that I may have certain taste in music,a certain bias in my thinking,a certain way I talk,etc etc....I mean,it's really ignorant and bias to make those generalizations.Especially since,contrary to what they think,my race doesn't make me as a person.

Also,sometimes in movies (not just done by white directors,but black ones and ones of other races.Not really pointing fingers at all.My point is that there is no specific person to point at) they automatically make the black person to be the sassy,loudmouth,etc....to be honest,it's freaking annoying and ignorant (also biased).

Also....I have never once seen a person in a movie that is a fat,black woman that isn't sassy....this is just off topic ramblings...but I have never seen it >.>

The only case I have seen of this is it being Amanda Waller,but that's not movies...and in the movies she was made skinny (not that there is a problem with that).

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy does have some point to us being white-washed. I'm starting my 2nd year of high-school after the summer and all that they taught us about Africa was that we were slaves.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@edamame: True. It amazes how most people think we make up most of the welfare using population when we only make up 13% of the country.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jnr6Lil

I think when people say blacks make most of the welfare, they mean in comparison to our race. Out of 13%, majority probably are on welfare, whereas with whites, although alot of them use it, there's probably more well-off whites than in comparison to blacks.

Welfare is a big topic though. Not only is it just food stamps, but public housing, etc. Government aid means a lot of things.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captnmcdeadpool said:

@cameron83 said:

Facepalm

Well,how exactly does that answer my question?

Also:

1. It actually depends on the individual.While what you are saying about our history is true,many African Americans aren't really trying to trace their history.They could care less and they are actually free to. This doesn't account for all.

2. Well actually,there is a lot of diversity and acceptance than the media lets people believe.

3. Sadly the thing about being looked down on is true and it's felt within all communities and done by all communities...it's actually sad,but this is the world we live in.

4. I also agree with the stereotypes.I mean,people suppose that somehow,because I am black,that I may have certain taste in music,a certain bias in my thinking,a certain way I talk,etc etc....I mean,it's really ignorant and bias to make those generalizations.Especially since,contrary to what they think,my race doesn't make me as a person.

Also,sometimes in movies (not just done by white directors,but black ones and ones of other races.Not really pointing fingers at all.My point is that there is no specific person to point at) they automatically make the black person to be the sassy,loudmouth,etc....to be honest,it's freaking annoying and ignorant (also biased).

Also....I have never once seen a person in a movie that is a fat,black woman that isn't sassy....this is just off topic ramblings...but I have never seen it >.>

The only case I have seen of this is it being Amanda Waller,but that's not movies...and in the movies she was made skinny (not that there is a problem with that).

I apologize. It sounds as if your question has to do with the accuracy of his historical allegations. Is that right? I can't validate or deny. But I don't know that tracing our historical background with accuracy will confirm or deny us as people. I don't mean to sound above topic, but the minute Black people, Latino people, Asian people, etc...stop identifying ourselves as Black or Asian or whatever, is the minute we start making strides toward becoming part of the human race. The same is also true of White Americans that trace their history with any pride whatsoever. Our histories may have an impact on who we are right now, but it doesn't have to influence who we are ultimately and certainly does not dictate our futures. Not if we don't want it to. I don't know enough about history substantiate that man's statements. But I do know that he is in no position to judge. My own father does the same thing and it infuriates me. He makes statements like, "My people!" as he shakes his head in disgust. He proceeds to rant about how we as a people cannot unite and talks about how all other ethnic groups come to this country, work together to build a life, often starting a business, and succeeding (his words, not mine...), and how Blacks in this country can't do the same. Yet, my father was the absolute worst enemy of my brother and I, lacking good parenting skills and ultimately defeating any cohesiveness within our own family and not living up to what he ultimately preached about. My dad is a super hypocrite. Cohesiveness, therefore in the Black community in America, has little to do with the accuracy of our past history. What counts is that we get to write the history of our futures and the futures of our progeny. And that begins with simple cohesiveness....unity....withing our own family's. Someone asked Morgan Freeman how to approach racism in America and his comment? "Stop talking about it!" Often, the worst chains Black people experience in this day and age our the ones we impose upon ourselves, notwithstanding the ones everyone else places upon us.

So, I suppose my simple response to inquiry is: our history does not make us. Yes, it does impact us: some have some ugly demons to fight. But we get to choose who we are. Our history does not have to define us as people.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^And that's a problem. Our history has slaves has pushed us back.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: I agree woth what he is saying,our hostory does not MAKE uz.I dont even know why people assume that I have a certain specific personality because of my race (and it happens to others as well)..and I understand what you're saying.Because of slavery,segregation and such many black people are in terrible positions.However,I cant say that that applies to all.I cannot speak for everyone.However,our history doesnt define.us.....many black.people are set a bit back becauae of slavery ( and other people since there were other slaves),but it ultimately does not have a final say....do you knkw what I mean?I agree with him...however,can you elaborate? I dont know what angle your coming from...what I mean is that I domt exactly get your point.This is not your fault.I am on my phone (hence the typos) and this is kinda frustrating. :) Bear with me!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cameron83

@captnmcdeadpool: VERY well said.For the most part I agree.I am actually having trouble seeing if I disagree.If I werent on my dumb phone,I would follow you. Anyway,I also want to point out,to support what you say,that there were slaves of like,every race...well not exactly every,but you get what I mean.There were other slaves......I dont know if that is actually relevant to what you said or not :)

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@cameron83: Just in general, there's many blacks in America, that are set back, by the oppression caused in slavery. Sure there was races enslaved, but not in the way of blacks in America. Slavery in America was systematic, it wasn't just forcing them to work, it was literally dehumanizing people, and stripping them of their culture, that they already had small knowledge of. This wasn't like when the Romans invaded the Greeks, who still were a strong civilization prior to their occupation by the Romans.

Our history doesn't make us but for some it has already had. A lot of blacks are essentially at war with society.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cameron83

@jnr6lil said:

@cameron83: Just in general, there's many blacks in America, that are set back, by the oppression caused in slavery. Sure there was races enslaved, but not in the way of blacks in America. Slavery in America was systematic, it wasn't just forcing them to work, it was literally dehumanizing people, and stripping them of their culture, that they already had small knowledge of. This wasn't like when the Romans invaded the Greeks, who still were a strong civilization prior to their occupation by the Romans.

Our history doesn't make us but for some it has already had. A lot of blacks are essentially at war with society.

I can see your point.And many things you say are true....also,NOW I just caught on to what you were saying when you said slavery pushed us back.To be honest,it HAS pushed us back a little for equality..

However for the mentality thing,I mean,I disagree because:

1. A lot of people (lets focus on Black people) that are on welfare are on it because they need it.Not because they have a beggar-mentality.And not just black people.To be honest,many of them actually have some sort of code against working and such.I don't get it,they don't really make much sense in that respect,but whatever....

also....don't laugh at me,but I never knew there were other slaves until you guys pointed it out...

-_________-

I am so lazy....

@stambo42 said:

There is truth in much of what he is saying, though he's oversimplifying a great deal, and where information is deficient, he's assuming the possibilities that best fit his world view.

Africa does have the most genetically diverse population on the planet. So diverse that I believe most "black" Africans actually have more in common genetically with Europeans and Asians than they do with Khoisans, a brown skinned group from the Southern half of the continent. "Race as a construct" folks will be quick to point this out.

The Egyptian or Kemetic thing is shaky. Obviously the current majority in Egypt is middle eastern, mostly Arab in origin. Kemet, is what ancient Egyptians referred to their kingdom as- rather KMT, as with many early Semitic languages, it lacks vowels. They did tend to paint themselves Brown, though not "black" there is some contention as to whether the Classical name for KMT meant "Land of black soil" or "Land of the Blacks", as well as what "black" meant to Classical Europeans (Greeks and Romans. I don't think there is a solid conclusion on the skin color of the people of KMT,certainly they did come up from the south, Nubia, as it were- but what that actually says about their ethnic or genetic identity is uncertain, as for most of human history the Sahara (even in its smaller, younger days) has been a major obstacle to migration, and the mingling and spreading of bloodlines. They were darker than Europeans, probably darker than most Arabs, but I doubt they were West African dark. Given the stated genetic diversity of Africa, it may be healthy to assume that they were ethnically distinct from the West African ethnicity familiar to most Americans (who are in turn distinct from the Khoisans and the Pygmies), but at the same time wholly African, at least for the early dynasties.

This poster really needs to decide what it means to be "African" in his definition- you can talk about ethnicity, language family migration, or even superficial outward racial characteristics... but I'd prefer to talk about the first two, as they are more concrete in their definition.

Many early migrations of humans that remained in the tropics retained certain "black" features in their hair and skin, though they are as distinct from Africans as from anyone else genetically. The original inhabitants of South East Asia, as well as Australians and New Guineans fit this.

As for his "fake" rant, I don't know what that's about. The entire middle east is not Turkish. The Ottomans ran the show on a lot of those areas at one time, but so did the Romans. That's like saying that The Irish or Scots are English because the English ruled them for a couple of hundred years. Scots and Irish are Celts, where as the English are a mixture of Germanic Anglo Saxons and Francophone Normans. They are not the same, nor does the rule of empire negate one's ethnicity.

There are political racist reasons for the way Africa is treated in American history books. There is also an absence of concrete history to teach for must of the history of much of the continent. Some of this is by (racist) design- erased history. Some of it is just because large parts of the continent fostered cultures that didn't tend to write down their history ore leave a significant archaeological footprint. There were some major empires in West Africa- most of which established themselves after the spread of Islam to the region. The inhabitants were still African by blood and culture, but you have an obvious outside force importing itself- not that there is any culture in history that escapes this- it seems your poster holds a special contempt for anything of less than pure "black" African stock.

These guys, the Nok are about as African as you can get, and they go back to 1000 BCE-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

These guys are pretty interesting too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire

HOW THE HECK DO ALL OF YOU KNOW ALL OF THIS?!!

@edamame said:

@jnr6lil: Well, if all the Africans united against the European and Arab invaders, then the slave trade wouldn't have been successful. The problem is that there is too much tribalistic warfare on the African continent. There is not enough unity. Look at the Hutu-Tutsi conflict in Rwanda, for instance. Also, what some people don't know is that the Arabs were the first to start the slave trade in Africa, not the Europeans.

This,too.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: I agree there is some who need it, and then there's a lot who are just complacent with their lifestyle, and don't want to get off their couch and actually get to work. Seriously nowadays anyone can get welfare. A lot of blacks nowadays don't do any work, and just sit there collecting checks, some of who just use that money to buy some expensive item.

@edamame said:

@jnr6lil: Well, if all the Africans united against the European and Arab invaders, then the slave trade wouldn't have been successful. The problem is that there is too much tribalistic warfare on the African continent. There is not enough unity. Look at the Hutu-Tutsi conflict in Rwanda, for instance. Also, what some people don't know is that the Arabs were the first to start the slave trade in Africa, not the Europeans.

It still wasn't the same. The Europeans looked down on the Africans, whereas the Arabs actually had a good relationship with the Africans, so much that they were willing to allow some Africans to be generals of their own armies.

And even if the Africans united, all the Europeans had to do is bribe them, or use their superior weaponry to crush them.

rondoudou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cameron83: no ,DNA tests have been done on modern Egyptians, they not only have the most closest DNA match to the guys in the tombs,but as well modern Egyptians have last names like banoub (soul of anubis) and still believe in using amulets to ward of demons,

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@edamame: 1. Nah but I can say that the Europeans treated the Africans worse than the Arabs.

Yup that's true

2. Yeah they bribed tribal leaders in exchange for slaves.

Well the diseases Europeans brought to the continent of Africa, didn't affect them as much as it did the Native Americans.

Yeah that's interesting too. It was different though. Some Native Americans hated Africans, some liked them.