anyone going to read J.K Rowlings new book; The Casual Vacancy?

• 75 results
growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By growup

so who is?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By theTimeStreamer

sure. i'll give it a try.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#3  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

probably me...though it'll be a while till I read it because I didn't order the book. A friend put her self on the order list months ago, so I might steal her copy

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'll get it eventually but I'm going to wait a while and get it cheaply. I have to own all the books I read or I get really irritated.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

If there aren't any teenage wizards, dark lords or dragons involved, count me out.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@guttridgeb: i hear that. same goes for lending books.

GreenFuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By GreenFuse

Eeek! I just saw the Kindle price ($17.99). I may wait a bit. I have a ton of impulse buy books on Kindle that I have yet to read.

I do want to read it though. Sounds interesting and I just listened to Rowling on NPR this morning talking about it. The idea of the book struck her while on a plane flight in the States. The idea of HP came to her while on a train. She said there must be something about being on moving vehicles that seem to spark her.

I don't know, I find that sort of stuff very interesting. How fiction writers come up with their stories. That these ideas just seem to strike them out of the aether.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10  Edited By Xanni15

In time, yes.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Samimista

I am! I think she's a great writer for our modern time.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Harry Potter is just so boring.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@mrdecepticonleader: sharpening my pitchfork, lighting the torch, gathering the mob and i'll see you at 5.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xanni15

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Nope

Why does that matter?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theTimeStreamer said:

@mrdecepticonleader: sharpening my pitchfork, lighting the torch, gathering the mob and i'll see you at 5.

lol

@Xanni15 said:

Nope

Why does that matter?

Because I find her boring as an author overall.And since Harry Potter is her most acclaimed story it was worth mentioning.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Aiden Cross

You do know this isnt a childrens book right? It's for adults. Quite some serious things happening in there, or so i've heard. But i'm going to read it yes.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@Aiden Cross said:

You do know this isnt a childrens book right? It's for adults. Quite some serious things happening in there, or so i've heard. But i'm going to read it yes.

^

I might. Depends what its about.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By reignmaker

I liked her first three Harry Potter books. After that, she lost me when she tried to make it all serious.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xanni15

@theTimeStreamer said:

lol

@Xanni15 said:

Nope

Why does that matter?

Because I find her boring as an author overall.And since Harry Potter is her most acclaimed story it was worth mentioning.

I think it's incorrect to assume that her new book will be the same or even similar to Harry Potter. It's like saying you don't like an author based off one book.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nick_hero22

Harry Potter is pretty boring

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

lol

@Xanni15 said:

Nope

Why does that matter?

I think it's incorrect to assume that her new book will be the same or even similar to Harry Potter. It's like saying you don't like an author based off one book.

The story itself probably wont be similar to Harry Potter.And you are incorrect in saying its just one book its an entire series of books.And its the way she writes that I dont like as well not just harry potter so what book it would be would be irrelevant anyway. And as I clearly stated previously I find her boring as an author.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

No, it sounds super lame. Also, the reviews aren't too great.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By _Zombie_

Probably not.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

lol

@Xanni15 said:

Nope

Why does that matter?

The story itself probably wont be similar to Harry Potter.And you are incorrect in saying its just one book its an entire series of books.And its the way she writes that I dont like as well not just harry potter so what book it would be would be irrelevant anyway. And as I clearly stated previously I find her boring as an author.

An entire series of books, yes, but they're mostly the same writing style and tone. You've only read (or not read, I don't know) Harry Potter, so who's to say the writing style or tone will be similar. Harry Potter is a series about a wizard, not very commonplace. That's fine, I just think that saying you won't read a book of hers automatically because you disliked past books is limiting.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15: I'm saying I dont like her as an author and have no interest in reading any of her books.

Avatar image for zorn_a_rust_red_scythe
Zorn_a_Rust_Red_Scythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Harry Potter was good because of the setting and the concept behind it, but the actual writing was pretty dry. Rowling isn't all that good with words, imo.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15: I'm saying I dont like her as an author and have no interest in reading any of her books.

I understand that, I just find it odd that you won't read any of her books because you didn't like Harry Potter. Oh, well, it's your choice. :]

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

I understand that, I just find it odd that you won't read any of her books because you didn't like Harry Potter. Oh, well, it's your choice. :]

Its not because I dont like harry potter its because I dont like her as an author and I have no interest in reading it any way.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

Its not because I dont like harry potter its because I dont like her as an author and I have no interest in reading it any way.

You don't like her as an author but the only thing she has written is Harry Potter. If you had no interest anyway then mentioning Harry Potter wouldn't be necessary.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

You don't like her as an author but the only thing she has written is Harry Potter. If you had no interest anyway then mentioning Harry Potter wouldn't be necessary.

If harry potter was the only thing she has written then mentioning it would be even more necessary.

I dont like her as an author and I dont like harry potter both are worth mentioning.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

If harry potter was the only thing she has written then mentioning it would be even more necessary.

I dont like her as an author and I dont like harry potter both are worth mentioning.

How can you accurately judge her as an author based off one piece of work? Before this new book it was all Harry Potter for her.

Do you not like her as an author because of Harry Potter?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

How can you accurately judge her as an author based off one piece of work? Before this new book it was all Harry Potter for her.

I'm not judging her based off of one piece of work but numerous pieces of work.As someone said above she isn't good with words and her writing is rather dry.

I dont like her as an author because of what I said above and I dont like harry potter because I find it really boring.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I was never interested in Harry Potter so no.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

I'm not judging her based off of one piece of work but numerous pieces of work.As someone said above she isn't good with words and her writing is rather dry.

I dont like her as an author because of what I said above and I dont like harry potter because I find it really boring.

She only has one piece of work, so besides Harry Potter what are you judging her off?

Let me ask you this, if she were to write what is considered the greatest book ever, would you still not give it a shot because you didn't like what she wrote in the past? Authors can improve.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

She only has one piece of work, so besides Harry Potter what are you judging her off?

Let me ask you this, if she were to write what is considered the greatest book ever, would you still not give it a shot because you didn't like what she wrote in the past? Authors can improve.

She has written an entire series of harry potter books and has had more than enough time to improve upon her writing.People hold her books in such high acclaim for whatever reason.

So if her books have been held in such high acclaim by the majority then she wont change her writing style.

If the book interested me then maybe I would give it a read though before buying it I would have a quick look through to see how well it was written.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#36  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@The Poet said:

probably me...though it'll be a while till I read it because I didn't order the book. A friend put her self on the order list months ago, so I might steal her copy

Is it really that popular already?

no idea. I haven't heard much about the novel from the library or the people around me. Only knew about this through my friend and an article I read. Of course my friend is not really a good judge of how popular the book is because she loves J K Rowlings

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Xanni15 said:

She has written an entire series of harry potter books and has had more than enough time to improve upon her writing.People hold her books in such high acclaim for whatever reason.

So if her books have been held in such high acclaim by the majority then she wont change her writing style.

If the book interested me then maybe I would give it a read though before buying it I would have a quick look through to see how well it was written.

She's written a series of book which are very similar in nature, about the same topic and in the same genre. The new book is neither of those. So you dislike the popularity of the Harry Potter books?

And you know that for sure?

So why not do the same with this book before eliminating it based off predispositions?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15: Dont have the time I have no interest as I dont like her as an author as I find her writing style boring.

I dont dislike the popularity of the harry potter books I dislike the harry potter books.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15: Dont have the time I have no interest as I dont like her as an author as I find her writing style boring.

I dont dislike the popularity of the harry potter books I dislike the harry potter books.

You see, your pov is changing. Not having the time or interest is different. Writing styles change, reading the same writers can become boring IMO.

There's no reason to mention it then, and this book is not Harry Potter and as such should have no bearing on your decision.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

You see, your pov is changing. Not having the time or interest is different. Writing styles change, reading the same writers can become boring IMO.

There's no reason to mention it then, and this book is not Harry Potter and as such should have no bearing on your decision.

My point of view is not changing.I dont have the interest because I dont like her as an author as I find her boring.

I dont see why there is no reason to mention it,as they are her most popular books and they incorporate the way she writes.

And I will mention it and voice my opinion regardless of weather you approve or not.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

My point of view is not changing.I dont have the interest because I dont like her as an author as I find her boring.

I dont see why there is no reason to mention it,as they are her most popular books and they incorporate the way she writes.

And I will mention it and voice my opinion regardless of weather you approve or not.

Well, more reasons are coming to light. How about that?

Before this book, they were her only books. The new book isn't going to be the same way since it's about something different.

Good for you, that's why I keep replying. :]

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15: More reasons are not coming to light,the reasons I have said I the same reasons as I stated previously.

Why do you keep replying do you want to get a reaction out of me?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15: More reasons are not coming to light,the reasons I have said I the same reasons as I stated previously.

What I mean is, at first it was due to you not liking her as an author, but then other reasons came up.

I'm just curious, I'm not looking to get any reaction out of you. I just found your initial post odd, if I upset you I apologize. Just discussing stuff. :]

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

What I mean is, at first it was due to you not liking her as an author, but then other reasons came up.

I'm just curious, I'm not looking to get any reaction out of you. I just found your initial post odd, if I upset you I apologize. Just discussing stuff. :]

No you didn't upset me its fine I was just curious.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By deadpoolrules

Nope

FINALLY SOMEONE THAT AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

red_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By red_titan

how do you make a forum? im not quite sure how to yet.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpoolrules said:

Nope

Im sure Im not the only one.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By deadpoolrules

@deadpoolrules said:

Nope

Im sure Im not the only one.

There are more?!This day is getting better every second :D

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xanni15

@Xanni15 said:

No you didn't upset me its fine I was just curious.

Have a good night. :]

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Xanni15

@red_titan said:

how do you make a forum? im not quite sure how to yet.

Do you mean a thread? I don't believe you can make a forum on this site.