• 61 results
Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jan_Valker

Meh. Honestly this looks very average. I doub't it will be sh*t, but it's not going to be very good either. Torrent at best.

Also, why this insane obsession of trying to turn Dracula into a "good" guy who happens to get evil powers? Even Coppola's movie wasn't that great. Also, they finally make a movie about the real Vlad Tsepes, and they turn it in Lords of Shadows: the movie. Isn't the story of the real character interesting enough?

>mfw the more accurate depiction of Vlad Tsepes is Hellsing

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@crom_cruach said:

@lunacyde said:

Why must Dracula be retold in a compassionate light?

The dude is based upon one of the most evil men in human history, if you want to tell a story of a hero vampire that gives himself up for the greater good of his people then why not just make it an original work?

Here's your answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker%27s_Dracula

It's because of how successful the Francis Ford Capola adaptation of Bram Stoker's dracula starring Gary Oldman was. Since then "Dracula" as a romantic or anti-heroic figure has been a staple of vampire popular media.

Vampires as mediums for eroticism has been a staple of literature for a long time (at least the 1800's). But in the original Bram Stoker's Dracula there was nothing romantic about him, like at all. Francis Ford Cappola's interpretation is one of the most influential Dracula interpretations like ever.

I like Capola's movie (as i enjoyed his Frankenstein), but I have to agree. I'd like a solid, well written Dracula movie where he really is depicted as the evil bastard he was in the original work for once.

Yeah pretty much what Crom said above.

Also interestingly, he is considered an hero in real life by Romenians for driving out the Ottomans from their lands, despite all his vicious acts. While there is no denying he indeed practiced impaling as psychological warfare, we can't attest how much of an real tyrant the guy really was, as most historians say his image has been smeared by propaganda made by his rivals, who made up the bits were he dinned in front of an entire field of impaled people and killed his servants and peasants completely at random. Most Romenians think he was an harsh, but fair ruler if you ask them.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lunacyde said:

Why must Dracula be retold in a compassionate light?

The dude is based upon one of the most evil men in human history, if you want to tell a story of a hero vampire that gives himself up for the greater good of his people then why not just make it an original work?

Here's your answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bram_Stoker%27s_Dracula

It's because of how successful the Francis Ford Capola adaptation of Bram Stoker's dracula starring Gary Oldman was. Since then "Dracula" as a romantic or anti-heroic figure has been a staple of vampire popular media.

Vampires as mediums for eroticism has been a staple of literature for a long time (at least the 1800's). But in the original Bram Stoker's Dracula there was nothing romantic about him, like at all. Francis Ford Cappola's interpretation is one of the most influential Dracula interpretations like ever.

I like Capola's movie (as i enjoyed his Frankenstein), but I have to agree. I'd like a solid, well written Dracula movie where he really is depicted as the evil bastard he was in the original work for once.

That would explain why every time a trailer comes up for this upcoming movie, I feel my face burning.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

That would explain why every time a trailer comes up for this upcoming movie, I feel my face burning.

Eh, look at Varney the Vampire and Carmilla. It's been going on for a while. Mind you, Anne Rice is the real architect in recent times of the sexy vampire thanks to her novels. I find it hilarious personally since if you read actual vampire folklore, there really was nothing sexy about them.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lunacyde  Moderator
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Highly skeptical of any vampire movie with a PG-13 rating.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lunacyde  Moderator

Only vampire movie I've REALLY liked in recent times was 30 Days of Night....and I guess Underworld was pretty decent too.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@lunacyde: Only recent vampire movie I've enjoyed was Let Me In/Let the Right One In (loved both the remake and the original). Near Dark and Martin are pretty great and often over looked.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach said:

@ms-lola said:

Eh, look at Varney the Vampire and Carmilla. It's been going on for a while. Mind you, Anne Rice is the real architect in recent times of the sexy vampire thanks to her novels. I find it hilarious personally since if you read actual vampire folklore, there really was nothing sexy about them.

I agree. Vicious, ugly, horrible monsters who tear at humans to get their blood? Yeah, lots of sexiness there... not. I find the thought of them interesting in a macabre, evil type of way but swooning over a vampire is kind of difficult for me, with them being thousands of years old, evil, soulless and all. I can enjoy a story involving other vampires though, and you're right about Anne Rice. It did really start with her. I don't want to judge people who've enjoyed the stories and movies of Twilight. I can't really have an opinion because I haven't watched or read any of those stories, but they've never interested me. Way too tame.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@crom_cruach:

Girls into vampires are weiiiird

Believe me, vampire fetishism is not limited to the female gender.

Most of the time it's true, incidentally the exceptions stand out.

@ms-lola said:

@crom_cruach said:

@ms-lola said:

I agree. Vicious, ugly, horrible monsters who tear at humans to get their blood? Yeah, lots of sexiness there... not. I find the thought of them interesting in a macabre, evil type of way but swooning over a vampire is kind of difficult for me, with them being thousands of years old, evil, soulless and all. I can enjoy a story involving other vampires though, and you're right about Anne Rice. It did really start with her. I don't want to judge people who've enjoyed the stories and movies of Twilight. I can't really have an opinion because I haven't watched or read any of those stories, but they've never interested me. Way too tame.

Well as we discussed above, while Anne Rice was sort of the "recent trope maker", vampires as various metaphors for eroticism are for older then her. That said there is a lot of precedent in actual mythological beings to a "life eating", seductive and erotic, life eating creature: the succubus from eurasian mythology, the Quarina in Arabic Folklore, the Mohini from India, various middle-eastern demonic spirits and lots more.

Ironically a lot of vampire fiction has poached from these stories and used them as basis for the "truth" of the vampires in their fictional universes (often very poorly researched mind you) even if originally two very different beings. A good example is Akasha in queen of the damned movie and novel, the White Court vampires in the Dresden Files (even called succubi) and at least three clans in all editions of the World of Darkness Vampire table-top RPGs.