• 83 results
#1 Edited by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

I am super bored so thought I would share my knowledge of LOTR with anyone who is interested. :D ask away!

please use the call out function for speedier replies :D

#2 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did frodo and whoever have all of those fruity moments together?

#3 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38: That was the movie really, not so much in the book. In the book Sam is pretty bada$$. And in a way, but to a lesser degree than Sam, Frodo is pretty bada$$ himself.

#4 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38: character devolopement plus Tolkien loved his hobbits

@Vortex13: Yeah imo in films Frodo > Sam, frodo was a whiny b!tch

@BlueLantern1995:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

So 1 + 3 + 7 + 9 = 20 plus all the lesser irrelevant rings

#5 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Reply, don't quote. XD

#6 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38: i agree

#7 Posted by SensitivePsych0 (502 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Return of the King book did Faramir and Eowyn actually have a relationship, or did they just randomly get together like in the movie?

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Who would win between Grandmaster Luke and Melkor (say Nírnaeth Arnoediad era)... :D No lightsabers.

#9 Posted by SWAGcity (68 posts) - - Show Bio

how did dumbledore revive after he killed satan? 

#10 Posted by HammerTron (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

I am super bored so thought I would share my knowledge of LOTR with anyone who is interested. :D ask away!

Did the story actually take place on Earth?

If so, when?

Was it more or less 5,000 years ago?

#11 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SensitivePsych0 said:

In the Return of the King book did Faramir and Eowyn actually have a relationship, or did they just randomly get together like in the movie?

they had a courting and a relationship, don't remmber it being too long though, but its longer than the movie :)

@ssejllenrad said:

@The_Thunderer: Who would win between Grandmaster Luke and Melkor (say Nírnaeth Arnoediad era)... :D No lightsabers.

ooh im gonna say Melkor, just in terms of sheer size (he's like 10m) and so luke would be hard pressed to mmove him around with the force too much, plus melkor has good fighting exp and is supremely powerful whatever era (except ones where he is in the void obviously)

@SWAGcity said:

how did dumbledore revive after he killed satan?

Do you mean Gandalf? If so its because The Istari were a team od wizards (5) including Saruman and Gandalf sent to aid in the overthrowing of Sauron. And since the 2 blue wizards had gone west, Radagast never left mirkwood and Saruman turned evil, Eru/Illuvatar (the LOTR God) decided to re-incarnate him because he thought his help was still needed.

@HammerTron said:

@The_Thunderer said:

Did the story actually take place on Earth?

If so, when?

Was it more or less 5,000 years ago?

I think some of the landscapes and of course weaponry is taken from middle ages in england. But in the story its set in a place called Middle-Earth

#12 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Great answer! Ok here's a serious Tolkien question. What happened to Gil-Galad's spear Aeglos after the Battle of Dagorlad?

#13 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: question for the movies and how/if it differs from the books: in the movies they save frodo with giant eagles made/transformed by gandalf. and previously weve seen him transform a moth into a giant moth. why didnt they just do that from before? i know the eye can see them but couldnt they just have use a lot of eagles/moths?

#14 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion said:

@The_Thunderer: question for the movies and how/if it differs from the books: in the movies they save frodo with giant eagles made/transformed by gandalf. and previously weve seen him transform a moth into a giant moth. why didnt they just do that from before? i know the eye can see them but couldnt they just have use a lot of eagles/moths?

Kidding! Nyahahaha!
#15 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Honestly I would say Luke. I can't think of a question for the OP though....

#16 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: Got any answer to my second question to thunderer?

#17 Edited by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Apparently, two possibilities:

Aeglos got returned to Rivendell by Elrond, OR

It melted/got buried.

#18 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@The_Thunderer: Great answer! Ok here's a serious Tolkien question. What happened to Gil-Galad's spear Aeglos after the Battle of Dagorlad?

Taken back to Rivendell by Elrond i think, and put next to the shards of Narsil so the weapons could be as close as their masters or something right :P

@KainScion said:

Eagles aren't made by Gandalf at all, they are heralds of Manwe a more powerful entity than Sauron (a Maiar ) who lives in the undying lands and sent them, because in the books Radagast told the eagles that gandalf had gone to isengard, so Gwaihir went and rescued him. Not sure what your second question is?

#19 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: That was stated to be a possibility. It could have been melted or buried in Mordor.

#20 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: in the film its leaning on the statue where the shards are..but yeah i don't think tolkien explicitly says, but given its magical properties i can't see it melting.

#21 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Its possible. But probably unlikely. I'm going with the Elrond returning it to Rivendell, but its possible for it to be lost.

#22 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: yup

Any more anyone?

#23 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#24 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995:

If you are referring to the hobbit they appear to be putting a large amount of importance on the white council and gandalf in particular. He is a maia so not really related to anyone.

#25 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Good or bad?

#26 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: an embarrassment to LOTR..so non-canonical its unbelieveable..orcs are all evil!!

btw how do you embed?

#27 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Radagast is not Gandalf's cousin. Originally Tolkien considered making the maiar the children of the Valar, but he decided not to, and so they are all made by Illuvatar and are not related. That moth I thought was just supposed to be a sign from Radagast rather than radagast himself.

I don't know, I would guess Aiglos or Narsil though.

#28 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: They are tortured, mutilated and corrupted elves who love eating "man-flesh", that is pretty evil to me..

#29 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: No, I doubt the legitimacy of the quote, and I think that we all have different definitions of evil.

#30 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: It is one of. The Orcs have not tasted all weapons though.

#31 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Can you re-phrase question, I don't understand.. :P

#32 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: The Balrogs are on a level equivalent to a Maia.

#33 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: do you mean which race is comprised solely of Maia?

#34 Posted by ShootingNova (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Technically, the are. But otherwise...

#35 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995:

oh ok, prolly Spiders.. I think Shelob and Ungoliant have been classed as Maiar..hmm not sure though, most maia do not belong to any race as they pre-date all others except Valar...

#36 Posted by Faramir82 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Have you ever listened to the Tolkien Professor podcast? It's pretty good stuff, his Silmarillion class got me through the book for the first time a few years back.

#37 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Faramir82: No, i haven't, nor have I seen you on here before Faramir82, i'm a huge fan of Valar, war of Wrath etc and so love the Simarillion, haven't heard of this, is it on iTunes?

#38 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: I trust that site and the book obviously, but its hard to believe that Melkor or Sauron would waste the power of a Maia by turning it into an orc..

#39 Posted by Faramir82 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Faramir82: Than you :D

@BlueLantern1995: I always assumed that The Istari chose human forms so they could blend in..?

#41 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: If you are going to boss goblins around, surely you would choose a Balrog/Dragon/Melkor shape?

#42 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: True, but if i was going to be a supremely powerful dictator i wouldn't care what they thought of me or whether i looked similar to them..

#43 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: ok, any other questions? :P

#44 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: I honestly don't know huge amounts about dragons other than there are several varieties including: breathing fire not flying (fire drake) breathing fire and flying (dunno what there called) not breathing fire but fly (cold drake), their power is equal to a maia, but they themselves are not because they are twisted creations.

#45 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Why are the LOTR movies so good?

#46 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Its arriving in the post tomorrow, ill let you know after then :P

@jeanlucpicard: Wow, favourite question so far :D for a number of reasons:

1. Its based on the greatest story ever.
  2. Its directed by a guy who knows what the viewers want.
  3. Really good character developement and all the characters (except Frodo) are easy to like if they are good, or hate if they are bad.
  4. He avoided putting in too many songs and one off characters.
  5. The scenery and general locations are jaw-dropping.
  6. The CGI is fantastic.
  7. The acting is extremely well done considering the experience of the cast.
  8. The editing was done fantastically.
  9. They had great promotional and advertising which increased popularity.
  10. Most importantly was the huge budget and masses of effort put into it.

Hope that answers your question :P

#47 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: All of them except the hobbit.

• Two Towers (ps2) - 6/10
  • Return of the King (PS2) - 9/10
  • Conquest (ps3) - 5/10
  • Fellowship of the ring (ps2) - 6/10
#48 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Yes greatly so, it has the potential to revolutionise both lord of the rings and middle ages/swordfighting gaming completely. Assuming they do it well, it will be amazing, regardless im going to buy it :P

#49 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995:

1. Legolas- he's my fave anyway and his triple flaming arrow upgrades were crazy :P
  2. Aragorn- His bowmanship was ok and his melee was awesome
  3. Gandalf- Magic is fun !
#50 Posted by The_Thunderer (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: i normally choose elf, but i do love a good melee fight, thought i'd try all 3 and see which I preferred :P