#1 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7849 posts) - - Show Bio

Something that should never be forgotten is the service that your family members have done. Whether it was during WW2 fighting against the Axis Powers, or if it was fighting with the CSA in the Civil War..

My Great x4 Grandfather Wilson Dorset Walker served in the 59th Georgia Infantry Regiment Company B in the Confederacy during the Civil War.

My grandfather Jack Haynes served in the Navy during World War 2, he served in the Pacific.

#2 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

My great grandfather fought in WWI and by grandfather fought in Korea. I probably had a few past relatives that fought the civil war on the north's side and the revolutionary war since I have ancestors that arrived in Mass on the mayflower.

#3 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, they all ate spaghetti. I met most of my great grand-parents, so I know this for a fact.

#4 Posted by russellmania77 (15376 posts) - - Show Bio

grandfather that i never met

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20251 posts) - - Show Bio

My Grandpa was in the Vietnam War. He served as an Officer (the side that was with the Americans). He was caught and got stuck in jail for 7 years if I recall correctly.

#6 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18060 posts) - - Show Bio

My Grandads brother served on the HMS Hood and of course he was one of the people who died on it.

My Grandad was also going to work on a ship but by the time he was signed onto the War had ended,so he had a lucky escape really.

Those what I can really remember off the top of my head right now.

#7 Edited by mamooo (24 posts) - - Show Bio

My grandfathers fought in WWII, both japanese. After the war, they came to despise their own government and left Japan. Not because Japan lost, but they realized how awful it was losing your friends and killing someone who you don't even know (they were just normal people who were forced to serve).

#8 Edited by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

My Dad did two years in Nam......

#9 Posted by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

My Grandad fought in the Navy in World War II for Italy, and even had a few close escapes I'm told.

#10 Posted by Cassidy_ORourke (201 posts) - - Show Bio

Both grandfathers were vets, only one fought in a war. My aunt and uncle (married) are both vets, he fought in a war. My cousin fought in a war.

#11 Posted by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. More specifically, World War II and the Korean War.

#12 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

my moms brothers all served during korea

#13 Edited by Lux_Invictus (154 posts) - - Show Bio

My great grandpa served during WW2 and my cousins sister was a pilot in the late 90's. I'm thinking of serving myself, but certain things are keeping me from doing so.

#14 Edited by Queso6p4 (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

@mamooo said:

My grandfathers fought in WWII, both japanese. After the war, they came to despise their own government and left Japan. Not because Japan lost, but they realized how awful it was losing your friends and killing someone who you don't even know (they were just normal people who were forced to serve).

An all too often common occurrence.

My great uncle fought in Korea, his brother (maternal grandfather) fought in Vietnam, my uncle did some time in Kosovo in the Navy. There's more military service in my family but these are the people I've actually talked to about it in person. All but my uncle, who's still young, have passed on. My friend who I'm seeing Iron Man 3 with tomorrow served in the Army, but I'm pretty sure he never saw combat. Then again, he said he became a pacifist after serving his time so he surely saw some disturbing things. :/ He's one of the most laid-back people I know.

#15 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7849 posts) - - Show Bio

No one has any information about family members that served in the Civil War?

#16 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33444 posts) - - Show Bio

I served in Afghanistan, my stepdad served in the Falklands and the Gulf War my great uncle served in the WWII and died in a Japanese POW camp in Thailand

#17 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11092 posts) - - Show Bio

My Great Great Great *sigh* Great Grandfather was part of the Haitian Revolution in the 1790's

#18 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

None of my family members served in any military.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (30618 posts) - - Show Bio

Many of my relatives did. I have some uncles who fought in World War II.

#20 Edited by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

My great-grandmother's brother was killed in WWII. My grandfather joined the military but was never deployed. I don't know about the rest of my family.

#21 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (22294 posts) - - Show Bio

My father joined the military but he never thought in any war. He retired and works as teacher instead.

#22 Posted by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio

My grandfather was a tailgunner in WWII, and my other grandfather was too busy outrunning Nazis. He was a total badass. (Both of them were)

#23 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

I don`t think so. I`m pretty sure that some ancient forefathers of mine have.

#24 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

My Great Uncles Johnny and Mike both served in World War I.

My Uncles Al, Jim, Willie and Jack all served in World War II.

My Father and my Uncles Charlie and Gervais served in the Korean War.

My Uncle Jake served in the Viet Nam War.

My Brother-in-law Michael has served in the most recent Iraq War and is serving in the current Afghanistan War.

Ten war veterans total.

#25 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7849 posts) - - Show Bio

My Great Uncles Johnny and Mike both served in World War I.

My Uncles Al, Jim, Willie and Jack all served in World War II.

My Father and my Uncles Charlie and Gervais served in the Korean War.

My Uncle Jake served in the Viet Nam War.

My Brother-in-law Michael has served in the most recent Iraq War and is serving in the current Afghanistan War.

Ten war veterans total.

Family of heroes

#26 Posted by PowerHerc (84031 posts) - - Show Bio

@biteme_fanboy: Thanks, friend.

The ironic thing is; the ones I knew would all say they weren't heroes.

Even though he won two Bronze Stars, my Dad always said he was happy to come home alive and in one piece.

#27 Posted by knightofthechronicle (689 posts) - - Show Bio

My grandfather served in World War II in the Air Force.