• 69 results
#1 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Call out the name of you're attack before It connects, And yes I've been watching a little naruto. LOL

And would you like to see this In comics?

#2 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

i am not a manga/anime fan in the comic format. 

i do like the show though

#3 Posted by mikethekiller (8308 posts) - - Show Bio

I always did think that was silly 

#4 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@mikethekiller said:

Yeah, It's only a few times where I thought It would be cool.

For example

#5 Posted by Darkseid Elite (8424 posts) - - Show Bio
@mikethekiller said:

Yeah this. You'd think if they fought the character once they know to dodge it or counter the attack.
#6 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

FALCON PUNCH!

#7 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

lol got to love how they say falcon punch
FALCON PUNCH!

#8 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: never gets old :P

#9 Posted by desperado_ (314 posts) - - Show Bio
@angeldust616 said:

FALCON PUNCH!

THE FALCON PUNCH IS TOTAL BADASSERY.
#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43395 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that sometimes it's necessary for them to say the name of the attack before they use it.

#11 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder do they do that in comics too?

#12 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
I wonder do they do that in comics too?
Hulk: "HULK SMASH!" 
Punisher: "Boom" 
#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

It's handy because it's often placed on reusable backgrounds, so the animation can be used again and again, and rather than having the character's speech be specific to their opponent, they can just say "Pegasus Ryu Sin Ken" instead of, "Prepare to get punched in the face, Shiryu".

#14 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1845 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38
You see DBZ is/was/will ever be the greatest anime. 

As for naruto I have nothing good to say about it so...
#15 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

even more than that, why doesn't anyone just shoot the other guy while they're standing around talking about the attack they're about to do? 
that would be so much easier
#16 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

ALL I KNOW IS THAT WHEN SOMEONE CALLS OUT AN ATTACK ON SAILOR MOON S#IT GOES DOWN

#17 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@agent9149
Oh Sailor Moon, killing the badguys with sparkles and moxie still after all these years.... 
#18 Posted by CodeSaint (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it,they can use it to make veriations of a same power,with just eletricity manipulation there is a lot of diferent forms of attack.I like it even more when they name spells on sword and sorcery anime and manga,my favorite type of shonen manga.Doesn't Doctor Strange call his spells too?

#19 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@CodeSaint said:

I like it,they can use it to make veriations of a same power,with just eletricity manipulation there is a lot of diferent forms of attack.I like it even more when they name spells on sword and sorcery anime and manga,my favorite type of shonen manga.Doesn't Doctor Strange call his spells too?

True on the doctor strange comment

#20 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (9949 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate when cartoons and shows do that. It's corny AF imo.

#21 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Storm did it all the time in the cartoon and once in awhile in some 90's X-books and when she made a speech someone was feeling the "Wraith of the Elements"

Hulk says smash all the time

Thing says Clobberin time

Spider-Man doesn't name his attack, but if he makes a joke in a fight someone's getting punched/kicked

I can only think of Marvel characters who have done this lol

#22 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon

Tiara

Action!

#23 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e:

Mercury Bubbles BLAST!

Mercury pwned all the other scouts IMO

#24 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: What on earth is a Mercury Bubbles Blast?

It's Bubble Spray O_O

#25 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e:

Edit

Mercury Bubbles Blast is Sailor Mercury's first attack.

It creates a fog that can make the enemy cold, or else obscure their vision and prevent them from seeing the Sailor Scouts. It can also freeze some enemy attacks, evidenced from her fights with Grape and the Doom and Gloom Girls.

Upon transforming for the first time in Sailor Moon episode 5, Computer School Blues, Sailor Mercury used Mercury Bubbles Blast on her, making her cold and preventing her from seeing her or Sailor Moon. She would often use the attack to confuse the enemy before Sailor Moon (and in some cases, Sailor Mars) would destroy the Negamonster.

In Episode 17, An Animated Mess, Sailor Mercury combined Mercury Bubbles Blast with Sailor Moon's Moon Tiara Magic and Sailor Mars's Mars Fire Ignite to destroy the Gemini Warriors.

Sailor Mercury used the attack less when she learned two new attacks in Sailor Moon R: Mercury Ice Bubbles Freeze and Shine Aqua Illusion. However, she still uses it sometimes.

Not as far as I know, but it could be interchaneable with spray....

#26 Posted by Westlife (1798 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Because it makes everything awesomer.

#27 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:

Mercury bubbles blast = the dubbed version

Bubble spray = original japanese version

#28 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e said:

@Blood1991:

I only watched the American dubbed version as a kid, but she did say spray I conclude we are both correct YAY

#29 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@rogue_mar1e said:

@Blood1991:

I only watched the American dubbed version as a kid, but she did say spray I conclude we are both correct YAY

^__^

I also watched the dubbed version as a child, only now when I grew up did I realize just how terrible it was.

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e: I haven't watched an episode in years, but no matter how terrible it was it was my first introduction to anime and I will always love it regardless lol

#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

Storm did it all the time in the cartoon and once in awhile in some 90's X-books and when she made a speech someone was feeling the "Wraith of the Elements"

Hulk says smash all the time

Thing says Clobberin time

Spider-Man doesn't name his attack, but if he makes a joke in a fight someone's getting punched/kicked

I can only think of Marvel characters who have done this lol

Clobberin time and Hulk Smash are more war cries than actual attacks though.  

It's not like the Thing "clobberin times" anyone. In anime, they actually say the attack's name specifically.  

So it'd be more like; 
"Thing Right Cross to the Jaw!"
#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Your right it wasn't as specific as that, but it has the same premise imo. As for whether it is a good thing or bad thing I think it depends on the show like DBZ and Sailor Moon Yes

Thundercats no jeez it was like the entire show. Thunder thunder THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#33 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Kame- Hame- Ha

#34 Posted by Sissel (1985 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it is a bad idea but it is silly.

#35 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

ELECTRIC BATARANG! see it sounds stupid when I say it and I'm Batman, end of discussion and good day.

#36 Edited by ChillinVillain (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanlucpicard said:

@utotheg38: You see DBZ is/was/will ever be the greatest anime. As for naruto I have nothing good to say about it so...

DBZ is great and very nostalgic, but is NO WHERE NEAR being the greatest anime/manga ever.

Looking back at it, the show didn't have many redeeming qualities lol.

Naruto is also no where close.

#37 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChillinVillain said:

@jeanlucpicard said:

@utotheg38: You see DBZ is/was/will ever be the greatest anime. As for naruto I have nothing good to say about it so...

DBZ is great and very nostalgic, but is NO WHERE NEAR being the greatest anime/manga ever.

What about the fighting?

Also, If there was any redeeming quality to dbz. It was the fact that It had the least emo scenes for any anime I've ever watched.

#38 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many animé beyond the realms of Dragon ball Z, Pokémo etc. Many things involved in animé, other countries wouldn't touch with a quant pole. Although there are many they shouldn't touch either. When do you ever see a cartoon, non-animé to challenge your mind? I'm thinking towards Evangelion.

#39 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

Spirit Gun!!!!! Best One Ever

#40 Posted by ChillinVillain (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@ChillinVillain said:

@jeanlucpicard said:

What about the fighting?

Also, If there was any redeeming quality to dbz. It was the fact that It had the least emo scenes for any anime I've ever watched.

DBZ's characterization is pretty bad and the fighting was OKAY.

Anime/manga like Yu Yu Hakusho, Berserk, Vinland Saga and Cowboy Bebop give their characters multiple dimensions to their characters and contain better action. Most action in DBZ is rapid punching followed by an episode (or two) of stand/stare offs.

Again, DBZ is NO WHERE NEAR being the best. Most anime/manga are bad because the main characters in them emulate the Goku archetype.

Very nice choice.

#41 Posted by The Stegman (23031 posts) - - Show Bio
@ChillinVillain:  

@utotheg38 said:

@ChillinVillain said:

@jeanlucpicard said:

What about the fighting?

DBZ's characterization is pretty bad and the fighting was OKAY.

Anime/manga like Yu Yu Hakusho, Berserk, Vinland Saga and Cowboy Bebop give their characters multiple dimensions to their characters and contain better action. Most action in DBZ is rapid punching followed by an episode (or two) of stand/stare offs.

Again, DBZ is NO WHERE NEAR being the best. Most anime/manga are bad because the main characters in them emulate the Goku archetype. 

Naruto is a far superior anime to Dragonball Z in every category.  
The fights are more elaborate and well thought out, the opponents usually have two very conflicting "jutsu" abilities and it's interesting to see them clash as well as the strategies they use to counter their own weaknesses i.e, the amount of chakra each jutsu will take, physical fatigue and limits etc. Some of the best anime fights I've ever seen come from Naruto. DBZ is very formulaic,   

All the characters stand around waiting for Goku to show up to be the ridiculously powerful villain who has taken down the only OTHER two good fighters Vegeta and Piccolo (cause let's face it, the rest are fodder) 

Goku shows up:
 rapid punch 
rapid punch 
power up 
more rapid punch  
more rapid punch 
another power up 
Goku wins 

Naruto has better pacing as each story arc smoothly transitions into the next, the Land of Waves arc flowed right into the chunin exams which led to the forest of death, which led to Sasuke's encounter with Orochimaru, (leading to his later defection) the chunin exams get under way introducing very interesting characters while still having amazing fights, which leads to Gaara's back story showing why he does the things he does and why he's ''crazy'' which leads to the Invasion of the sand arc which leads to the death of the Hokage. I could go on, but the transitioning of the show is near perfect, as opposed to DBZ which is, just new more powerful villains showing up being tied together by boring filler in between.  

Finally, the characters in Naruto are FAAAAAAAR better than DBZ's the villains in DBZ  all want the same thing...power, or destruction, Frieza, Vegeta, Cell, Buu, all the same, the Akatsuki alone vastly outshine any DBZ villain, each having their own motives and back stories for joining, as does Orochimaru, as does Gaara, and currently, as does Sasuke.  

I could go more indepth as to why Naruto is superior but honestly I think those who see DBZ as being better are either 1. Naruto haters  or 2. living in Nostalgia land.

#42 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by lets_play (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only going to say yes because i've never been a fan. plus whats the difference between anime and animated?

#44 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1845 posts) - - Show Bio
No anime is better than Dragon Ball Z.
Also can't put short animes up against long animes. It's bad to compare Cowboy bebop to naruto. You can compare long animes like naruto, DBZ, bleach, pokemon ( lol), one piece, yu-gi-oh. and what ever else goes over 70+ episodes. Otherwise these arguments go into Halo is better than street fighter and BS like that.

On the long animes DBZ is the best. point blank.
On the shorter ones i will go with Full Metal alchemist brotherhood. That is such an awesome series.
#45 Posted by The Stegman (23031 posts) - - Show Bio
@jeanlucpicard: plenty of anime are better than Dragon Ball Z long or short.
#46 Edited by ChillinVillain (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanlucpicard said:

No anime is better than Dragon Ball Z. Also can't put short animes up against long animes. It's bad to compare Cowboy bebop to naruto. You can compare long animes like naruto, DBZ, bleach, pokemon ( lol), one piece, yu-gi-oh. and what ever else goes over 70+ episodes. Otherwise these arguments go into Halo is better than street fighter and BS like that. On the long animes DBZ is the best. point blank. On the shorter ones i will go with Full Metal alchemist brotherhood. That is such an awesome series.

Dude, DBZ is TRASH compared to (in no particular order):

1. Berserk

2. Yu Yu Hakusho

3. Rurouni Kenshin

4. Vinland Saga

5. Trigun

6. Cowboy Bebop

7. Fullmetal Alchemist

8. Monster

9. Inuyasha

10. Eureka Seven

11. Planetes

12. Every Gundam series

13. Code Geass

14. etc.

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, for example, are both shorter by several episodes/chapters and STILL have better story elements and character development than DBZ which is VERY SAD given how long the Dragon Ball series is.

DBZ is great for what it is and is only popular because of how easy it is to get into. It lacks quality in story and not all of the fights are that good.

Naruto was better in Part 1 and as were the fights. The only three well done fights in Part 2/Shippuden is Sasuke vs Deidara (the best fight of the entire series so far quite frankly), Sasuke vs Itachi, and Team 10 vs Hidan and Kakuzu. Those were the best and most ninja-like fights in Part 2, the rest are just giant monsters and Michael Bay explosions.

Naruto also has weak character development in Part 2, with the author choosing to only develop Naruto and Sasuke, and also Nagato/Pain and Gaara to some extent (tho Nagato's character contradicted itself at the end of the Pain Invasion arc and onwards).

One Piece is much better than Naruto at this point. Hell, CURRENTLY, Bleach is better than Naruto right now as well. Bleach, overall, is NOT very good at all and is even worse than DBZ...ouch.

Naruto and Bleach are still favorites of mine tho :]

#47 Posted by Vincent92 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanlucpicard: @The Stegman: Both are good animes with different styles but when it comes down to it who makes the most money? DBZ

who has better plot develped characters? Natuto

#48 Posted by The Stegman (23031 posts) - - Show Bio
@ChillinVillain:  

@The Stegman

Naruto was better in Part 1 and as were the fights. The only three well done fights in Part 2/Shippuden is Sasuke vs Deidara (the best fight of the entire series so far quite frankly), Sasuke vs Itachi, and Team 10 vs Hidan and Kakuzu. Those were the best and most ninja-like fights in Part 2, the rest are just giant monsters and Michael Bay explosions.

Naruto also has weak character development in Part 2, with the author choosing to only develop Naruto and Sasuke, and also Nagato/Pain to some extent (tho Nagato's character contradicted itself at the end of the Pain Invasion arc and onwards).

One Piece is much better than Naruto at this point. Hell, CURRENTLY, Bleach is better than Naruto right now as well. Bleach, overall, is NOT very good at all and is even worse than DBZ...ouch.

Naruto is still a favorite of mine tho :] 

I kinda agree, I agree that Naruto and Sasuke are definitely getting more attention now, but that's because we know their final battle is probably just around the corner, however early Shippuden before the whole ninja war started still had some great character development, like you said, there was Pain, but also we got to learn a lot about all of the Akatsuki members, we got to see Gaara and Naruto's bond deepen more, we figured out a lot about Itachi and why he "betrayed'' the Leaf village,   
As for fights, I also liked Naruto vs Orochimaru, Sakura and Chiyo vs Sasori, Guy vs Kisame, Sasuke vs the Raikage, Sasuke vs Danzo (that one was pretty gnarly) Jiraya vs Pain was EPIC, Naruto vs Pain, even MORE epic.  

As for One Piece being better than Naruto..i dunno i'm really far behind in OP so I can't say, but for Bleach, no way, I actually find the last two arcs, the Fullbringer and the current one to be just plain boring, matter of fact, I dropped it completely a few issues back, and yes, it is overall worse than DBZ.
#49 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's silly but that's how anime/manga fans learn what the attacks are they use, plus in almost all ninja media, games ect. they always call out their moves sort of like casting a spell. The closest in comics I can see to calling out your moves is the Hulk when he proclaims "Hulk Smash" pretty basic but to the point. :) and No comics does not need to do this.

#50 Posted by Vincent92 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupremeHyperion: or zatana, just backwards