Anime Akira getting a live action movie..

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/jaume-collet-serra-still-hoping-to-direct-akira

The long-mooted remake of classic anime, Akira, might have been on hiatus for several years now, but director Jaume Collet-Serra is still hopeful that he will get the chance to helm the live-action update.

The last time Collet-Serra was attached to the project, Warner balked at his proposed $90 million budget, and Akira has been in limbo ever since.

However, the director has brought the film back onto the agenda once more, telling press that, “I’m focusing on Akira, so hopefully that’s the next one.

“I’ve done two movies since I put this little pause on that project,” he continues, “but now the powers that be are interested.”

He stops short of confirming that Warner have given his vision for Akirathe green light, but it does at least sound as though discussions have started up once more. Looks like this is one proposed remake that just won’t go quietly...

Thoughts.?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll believe it when I see a trailer

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: are you ok its getting a live action movie?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 juiceboks  Moderator

Ehh, I don't see why they're doing a live action remake. Anime to movie adaptations are few and far between and generally don't translate well..*cough* DBZ *cough*..

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

its been speculated for years, so yeah...I'll wait till a more legit source confirms it.

besides...this is not wanted or needed. Live action is not going to trump the original manga or what the anime did for the genre.

if hollywood really wants to do a live action anime...they need to do something like Hellsing, where there is a widespread pre-existing fanbase is all ready there. Vampires are pretty popular in the US right now. (even if Hellsing has nothing in common with other franchises that shall not be named)

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its been speculated for years, so yeah...I'll wait till a more legit source confirms it.

besides...this is not wanted or needed. Live action is not going to trump the original manga or what the anime did for the genre.

if hollywood really wants to do a live action anime...they need to do something like Hellsing, where there is a widespread pre-existing fanbase is all ready there. Vampires are pretty popular in the US right now. (even if Hellsing has nothing in common with other franchises that shall not be named)

Hellsing is pretty much too violent and will probably got an R rating.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute: i agree it won't be easy, but its way better subject matter.

sorry but people in the US do not care about the subject matter of anime. look at pacific rim. That movie did horrible in the US market.

cant' say I see any cyberpunk anime doing much better. Even movie likes Blade Runner wasn't liked until way after the fact.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Ehhh.

I'm not sure I want Akira to have a live action movie.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sorry but people in the US do not care about the subject matter of anime. look at pacific rim. That movie did horrible in the US market.

cant' say I see any cyberpunk anime doing much better. Even movie likes Blade Runner wasn't liked until way after the fact.

Warner Bros did a pretty shitty job on its marketing.. only 1/4th of the budget of marketing was spent for Pacific rim.. also most of the US movie goers would prefer to see piss jokes of adam sandler. this is one of the reasons why hollywood keeps recycling movies and never risk to be original.Even on japan Pacific rim bombed because of poor marketing.

Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Going to suck probably.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

If Akira is done right it'd need an R rating. Personally I think they should leave it be.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chibi_cute

@chibi_cute said:

@fallschirmjager said:

If Akira is done right it'd need an R rating. Personally I think they should leave it be.

Sadly it will be watered down so that kids of this generation can comprehend..

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute: Which is why they should leave it alone, if they're just going to do a dumbed down, white washed version there's no point.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By MethoKi

Can anyone name an anime/cartoon to live action adaptation that was remotely good?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont let james wong direct it

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman242: guess we'll have to wait for attack on titans to release lol

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone name an anime/cartoon to live action adaptation that was remotely good?

Rurouni kenshin live action.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

NO.........

No Caption Provided
judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@batman242 said:

Manga to live action. Ichi the Killer...... Love that movie.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman242 said:

They made Rurouni Kenshin into a live action movie? O___O

How good is it?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: are you ok its getting a live action movie?

I'd be ok with it but it would need a MASSIVE budget

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never watched this.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frogdog

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Chibi_cute
Loading Video...

@batman242 said:

@chibi_cute said:

@batman242 said:

They made Rurouni Kenshin into a live action movie? O___O

How good is it?

Loading Video...

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MethoKi

@chibi_cute: And like that, I learned to never watch an American anime/cartoon to live action film. That looks great. thanks.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chibi_cute: And like that, I learned to never watch an American anime/cartoon to live action film. That looks great. thanks.

well its actually a japanese live action film.. hollywood tends to screw up anime live adaptation.. ex. dragonbullshit. evolution

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I'd rather Hollywood stays as far away from Anime as possible. Anime and Manga are overwhelmingly made for Japanese people and not the international audience. Even the most 'mainstream' anime will have to be butchered pretty badly to accomidate the general American movie-going audience.

And you sure as hell can forget getting a non-white leading actor since the studios never allow an Asian man to front a movie (unless they are already huge stars in Hong Kong and even then they have to be paired with a well-known American actor).

Anyway, I think worrying about this is a non-issue. I don't think Anime is nearly as popular as it was 10 years ago in America. Also big budget summer movies are generally made with a property with significant name recognition and nostalgia; studios probably won't drop 200+ million on a movie with name recognition to only a few thousand people.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yokergeist

Cool.

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
KaijuKingGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

Warner Bros did a pretty shitty job on its marketing.. only 1/4th of the budget of marketing was spent for Pacific rim.. also most of the US movie goers would prefer to see piss jokes of adam sandler. this is one of the reasons why hollywood keeps recycling movies and never risk to be original.Even on japan Pacific rim bombed because of poor marketing.

most marketing budgets are only 25% of the production. 50m in marketting is a pretty good amount for a 200m dollar movie