• 68 results
#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

At the moment, things have happened which have made me feel angry, betrayed, alone, hurt, angry, sad, and angry. And furious. Did I mention angry?

How do I combat such feelings so I don't punch people when I next see them? Serious responses only, please.

#2 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8116 posts) - - Show Bio

Meditation

Punch a Pillow

Scream

Read

Watch something humorous

Play a violent game.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

take a Xanny......

#4 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: I've always tried to make reason of the other person's actions that made me angry. It doesn't always help, but it reminds me that the situation isn't all about myself. I'm also big on quiet time. If I am really angry time to myself always calms me down though I understand I am rare in that regard.

If you don't think you can control your emotions stay clear of the cause until you feel you can. Acting when you are angry can cloud your judgement and lead to major mistakes.

That is the only advice I can offer I'm afraid.

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio

Cry?

Just try to get your hurt feelings out in another way.Maybe talk to someone take your ill feelings out on something that wont feel them.

People deal with these emotions in different ways,maybe you just need to find yours.

#6 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I wrong in having read that you are of the Catholic faith? Or is that just how you were raised and you have now rejected that faith?

Is there anything in that faith that you maintain?

I think that you can guess where I am leading.

I'll confess that I have terrible, put people in the hospital anger problems. And I have had them all of my life.

There are good times and bad times and during the bad times I have found that one needs to concentrate harder on being the person that they want to be.

#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch lolcats.

Seriously, it works for me.

Alternatively, do something to spend your energy. Work out, punch a bag, go for an intensive jog. Channel your emotion into that and burn it off.

#8 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@kuonphobos said:

Am I wrong in having read that you are of the Catholic faith? Or is that just how you were raised and you have now rejected that faith?

Is there anything in that faith that you maintain?

I think that you can guess where I am leading.

I'll confess that I have terrible, put people in the hospital anger problems. And I have had them all of my life.

There are good times and bad times and during the bad times I have found that one needs to concentrate harder on being the person that they want to be.

I am not Catholic, nor have I just rejected my faith, I am simply confused within my faith as well as in life, like most people get at my age.

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Cry?

Just try to get your hurt feelings out in another way.Maybe talk to someone take your ill feelings out on something that wont feel them.

People deal with these emotions in different ways,maybe you just need to find yours.

Crying usually works if I ever feel like this but makes me feel pathetic because people are taught that crying is for weak girly-men, and then I just get even more confused about what to do...

@AtPhantom said:

Watch lolcats.

Seriously, it works for me.

Alternatively, do something to spend your energy. Work out, punch a bag, go for an intensive jog. Channel your emotion into that and burn it off.

That actually relates to the problem, and makes me more sad... Usually though, that's good advice. Exercise releases endorphins. Thanks for the help.

@TheCheeseStabber said:

Meditation

Punch a Pillow

Scream

Read

Watch something humorous

Play a violent game.

Humor could work...

@Blood1991 said:

@minigunman123: I've always tried to make reason of the other person's actions that made me angry. It doesn't always help, but it reminds me that the situation isn't all about myself. I'm also big on quiet time. If I am really angry time to myself always calms me down though I understand I am rare in that regard.

If you don't think you can control your emotions stay clear of the cause until you feel you can. Acting when you are angry can cloud your judgement and lead to major mistakes.

That is the only advice I can offer I'm afraid.

I will try to not talk to them, but it's hard. Life goes on even if we don't want to; I have to see the people constantly for many more weeks, yet.

#9 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18194 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: As long as it works for you then that is all that matters.Just do what works for you.

I mean for me it really depends on the moment I might take my anger out on a video game,or try to drown it by laughing at something funny or take my mind off of it and focus on something I enjoy,or maybe just grit my teeth and curse or cry.

#10 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8116 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

#11 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@minigunman123:

That was actually pretty funny XD

#12 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8116 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Take Karate lessons! And don't pick them Olympic sports-based lame schools. Go to the hard styles. Kyokushin is the best bet.

#14 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

Take Karate lessons! And don't pick them Olympic sports-based lame schools. Go to the hard styles. Kyokushin is the best bet.

I'm actually in the mixed martial arts club on my campus and practice BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing and a tiny bit of taekwondo.

Didn't help in these cases, but I am having two friends from the club come with me tomorrow for some impromptu training and hitting-of-things-to-relieve-stress.

@TheCheeseStabber: Once again, funny. Have you heard of Tobuscus on youtube? I watch his videos when I need something funny, usually.

#15 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

If the weather in your town permits take a long walk while listening to your favorite bands and albums and just bitch about the problem to yourself. You can be as loud or quiet as you want but just talk about the subject and it might help. It helped me in the past.

#16 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Then it all comes down to this...

#17 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz said:

If the weather in your town permits take a long walk while listening to your favorite bands and albums and just bitch about the problem to yourself. You can be as loud or quiet as you want but just talk about the subject and it might help. It helped me in the past.

I might try this tomorrow... as for today it is, unfortunately, too crappy outside. Given that I already have a cold, that makes it even worse.

#18 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8116 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Yup

#19 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk to a friend.

Don't punch the person you wanna beat up, that can get you thrown in jail.

#20 Posted by ARMIV2 (8592 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk it out, meditate or pray over it, and laugh...

Those are things I should be doing, but yeah.

#21 Posted by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

At the moment, things have happened which have made me feel angry, betrayed, alone, hurt, angry, sad, and angry. And furious. Did I mention angry?

How do I combat such feelings so I don't punch people when I next see them? Serious responses only, please.

Think happy thoughts, write out your issues, just try and smile. Count away your anger or my last suggestion is go for a walk.

#22 Posted by ShootingNova (17851 posts) - - Show Bio

Meditate, cry, or do/watch something that makes you laugh.

#23 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29505 posts) - - Show Bio

Step 1: Obtain tire iron.

Step 2: Obtain ski-mask/balaclava.

Step 3: Smash some f**k's four-door sedan.

Step 4: Repeat.

Step 5: Avoid police.

#24 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Do not meditate, humans are terrible at clearing their mind and thinking of nothing, inevitably you will just end up sitting there thinking of what has made you angry. Instead do something absorbing and challenging, something that you have to focus your whole being on. My personal favorite is playing strategy games like Chess, Go, or Total War games. If you can completely focus your mind on something else for long enough your anger will fade away.

#25 Posted by ShootingNova (17851 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

f**k's

Is this your favourite word? LOL. You seem to enjoy using it.

#26 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Anger tells you there is something that needs to change - look at what needs changing and change it. You'll feel that much better the moment you do that and stop beating yourself up over it.

#27 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

take a Xanny......

:P

#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29505 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

f**k's

Is this your favourite word? LOL. You seem to enjoy using it.

#29 Posted by ShootingNova (17851 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: I see.

#30 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the suggestions guys; means a lot ^^ stuff is mostly taken care of now... talked it out with a couple people, not the least of which was a family member that actually was fairly close to me for once. It was nice. Plus, we found out I can count cards to some degree, lol.

#31 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

For future reference:
In the short term - chamomile tea.
Long-term goal - therapy. Clearly, you have anger-management issues.
Stress release - take advantage of your personal time some more and then take a nap.
You'll have additional options once you mature.

#32 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

I know you do martial arts, but have you considered fencing? It's a mind game as much as it is muscle memory. One time, I kind of blanked out for five minutes during a bout. I remembered just reacting and fencing the entire time, but I wasn't thinking of the moves nor anything that was bothering me. Clears your head.

I would suggest talking to people about your problems.

#33 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

I know you do martial arts, but have you considered fencing? It's a mind game as much as it is muscle memory. One time, I kind of blanked out for five minutes during a bout. I remembered just reacting and fencing the entire time, but I wasn't thinking of the moves nor anything that was bothering me. Clears your head.

That's an interesting suggestion! I'll see if I can find any fencers in my area that could teach me. I've practiced mild swordplay with a longsword I own, but it's definitely not as dexterous or elegant as a fencing foil.

Yeah, I spoke to a couple people, it really helped. I don't need therapy like Satyrgod said lol... Today was just really crappy for a few reasons, and I was feeling really upset about it. I'm alright now though.

Just so everyone knows by the way, I was not serious about punching someone. It was a joke that, I suppose, was in poor taste.

#34 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@JediXMan said:

That's an interesting suggestion! I'll see if I can find any fencers in my area that could teach me. I've practiced mild swordplay with a longsword I own, but it's definitely not as dexterous or elegant as a fencing foil.

Yeah, I spoke to a couple people, it really helped. I don't need therapy like Satyrgod said lol... Today was just really crappy for a few reasons, and I was feeling really upset about it. I'm alright now though.

Just so everyone knows by the way, I was not serious about punching someone. It was a joke that, I suppose, was in poor taste.

Try USFencing.org. They have a club searching tool that you can use to find clubs where you can get lessons.

Broadsword fighting, rapier dueling, and fencing are three very different styles - all awesome in their own way, but different. Fencing is also treated more like a sport, so it has rules and scoring. There's also the weight differences (and weight differences between the three types of fencing). If you want info on fencing and the like, feel free to send me a message.

Honestly, I'd reserve therapy for serious cases. Doesn't seem to me that you need it.

#35 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@minigunman123 said:

@JediXMan said:

Try USFencing.org. They have a club searching tool that you can use to find clubs where you can get lessons.

Broadsword fighting, rapier dueling, and fencing are three very different styles - all awesome in their own way, but different. Fencing is also treated more like a sport, so it has rules and scoring. There's also the weight differences (and weight differences between the three types of fencing). If you want info on fencing and the like, feel free to send me a message.

Honestly, I'd reserve therapy for serious cases. Doesn't seem to me that you need it.

I'll definitely check out USFencing.org, sounds pretty fun. Broadsword fighting is not, in my opinion, relaxing at all, but it is athletic and good for wrist and forearm strength; I never had lessons though, just did some practicing on my own time. I'll check out some fencing lessons for sure though.

#36 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

Broadsword fighting is fun, but no, I wouldn't consider it "relaxing" - though it depends on who you're doing it with. Fencing in clubs is, because you are practicing with no serious competition without stakes. You become friends with the people in the clubs, so it becomes all the more relaxing and fun; you'll even find other people who find it as stress relieving as you might. I admit that tournaments can become stressful in that standard "competitive" way that such events are. So you can work your way up to it, or just be casual and stick to clubs. Depends on how dedicated you become.

#37 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@minigunman123:

Broadsword fighting is fun, but no, I wouldn't consider it "relaxing" - though it depends on who you're doing it with. Fencing in clubs is, because you are practicing with no serious competition without stakes. You become friends with the people in the clubs, so it becomes all the more relaxing and fun; you'll even find other people who find it as stress relieving as you might. I admit that tournaments can become stressful in that standard "competitive" way that such events are. So you can work your way up to it, or just be casual and stick to clubs. Depends on how dedicated you become.

I probably won't have the time or funds to become super dedicated, but it sounds like you're almost professional. May I ask how good you are, and how long you've been training at it?

#38 Posted by ShootingNova (17851 posts) - - Show Bio

Fencing should probably be much easier since you do have experience in martial arts.

Actually, I've been considering fencing for a while but I guess I dropped it. I just.... don't know. Feels a little uneasy.

#39 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber:

The bloodier the game, the better. Sadly, it doesn't really help to alleviate much of the pain (know from experience.)

#40 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

I make fun of myself and then I feel better.

#41 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
Few people "need" therapy but most would benefit from it.  A professional therapist will listen to and remain focused on you, help you to indentify the roots of your situations and guide you toward appropriate responses.

Sexual expression is an effective natural coping and stress-relieving experience, so I would counsel you to enjoy yourself and make the most of your "personal time".  Just remember to get away from your computer and be around people once in a while, as humans are by our nature social animals.

I wouldn't recommend fencing in this case.  Some people should steer clear of pointed or sharp or instruments.  And don't run with scissors.
#42 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

Few people "need" therapy but most would benefit from it. A professional therapist will listen to and remain focused on you, help you to indentify the roots of your situations and guide you toward appropriate responses.

Sexual expression is an effective natural coping and stress-relieving experience, so I would counsel you to enjoy yourself and make the most of your "personal time". Just remember to get away from your computer and be around people once in a while, as humans are by our nature social animals.

I wouldn't recommend fencing in this case. Some people should steer clear of pointed or sharp or instruments. And don't run with scissors.

Are you sure? I was thinking of juggling chainsaws while masturbating, but man, you sure saved my life, oh great and benevolent Ph.D. holder!

./sarcasm

#43 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123: You're welcome.
#44 Posted by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Are you interested in any martial arts? If you had the time I'd recommend trying something like that. It would help take your mind off things whilst relieving some stress; hope that helps.

#45 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio
@GodOfMischief: You'd trust him with that knowledge?
#46 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

@GodOfMischief: You'd trust him with that knowledge?

Afraid I'll come attack you or something? That's what you sound like you're saying to me. You sound absolutely terrified, that I might come to your house and beat you up or something. Newsflash... I already know several martial arts and work out regularly, so if I cared enough about you to do something, I'd have done it already ;)

@GodOfMischief said:

@minigunman123: Are you interested in any martial arts? If you had the time I'd recommend trying something like that. It would help take your mind off things whilst relieving some stress; hope that helps.

I actually practice martial arts and work out fairly regularly as I said above, have for a while, but thanks anyway! This thread is pretty much useless now because I've already gotten over the stuff, and it's already passed. I thank everyone (even SatyrGod, whose trolling was very amusing) for posting in here and helping :)

#47 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@satyrgod said:

Few people "need" therapy but most would benefit from it. A professional therapist will listen to and remain focused on you, help you to indentify the roots of your situations and guide you toward appropriate responses.

Sexual expression is an effective natural coping and stress-relieving experience, so I would counsel you to enjoy yourself and make the most of your "personal time". Just remember to get away from your computer and be around people once in a while, as humans are by our nature social animals.

All of these things should be done with a spouse, not some guy whom you don't even know who's only listening because he's payed to (or in front of a computer with your right hand on you d*ck). You have a warped sense of reality.

#48 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123: Was replying to his one comment with two angry posts really necessary? 
#49 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@minigunman123: Was replying to his one comment with two angry posts really necessary?

He had two posts... o.o

But I'm not angry at him, actually. I find him somewhat amusing, if not a bit creepy (in an "internet predator" sort of way).

#50 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123: You replied to the same post twice.   
The therapy one.