• 111 results
Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) 1 year, 4 days ago

Poll: Andrew Garfield vs Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) (106 votes)

Tobey Maguire 55%
Andrew Garfield 43%

Who was the better Peter Parker? Who was the better Spider man? All in all, who fit Spiderman?

#1 Posted by russellmania77 (14611 posts) - - Show Bio

everybody will choose tobey cuz they remember growing up watching his spidey movies

#2 Posted by Jayc1324 (9811 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield doesn't look like Peter Parker and isn't half as good an actor as tobey. New spiderman was all action little plot.

#3 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Garfield doesn't look like Peter Parker and isn't half as good an actor as tobey. New spiderman was all action little plot.

I never saw it. How was the Uncle Ben death scene?

#4 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey

#5 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10376 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew

#6 Edited by Jayc1324 (9811 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14: he tried to stop a robbery and got shot. It wasn't horrible but it didnt feel right. And tobeys superior acting made it more hurtful and believable that Garfield's but it wasn't all that bad.

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey SPITE! I hate ASM!

#8 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3436 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know Tobey could be such a good god dam choice for Spiderman until I saw Andrew Garfield.

They should have made a Spiderman 4 instead of a remake cause that's how terrible Garfield was Emma Stone was a better actor than Andrew LOL!

#9 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9567 posts) - - Show Bio

Though a big fan of the Tobey Maguire version, Andrew Garfield decided to approach playing Spiderman a different way. By using his face to act with and varying the tone of his voice to convey thoughts and emotions, besides he is actually acting.

Just kidding with you guys, i never liked Tobey at all.

The guy can not act to save his life, besides it was a cry baby, he always had problem with making action scenes and got his ass kicked by Willem Dafoe when making their scenes, he even call him names because of this.

HE CANT FREACKING ACT, he is in the same boats Jessica Alba and Katie Holmes.

#10 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey all the way.

And as much as Garfield doesn't look that part, I really can't blame him for not liking ASM. The characterizations were just way off.

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (5880 posts) - - Show Bio

Though a big fan of the Tobey Maguire version, Andrew Garfield decided to approach playing Spiderman a different way. By using his face to act with and varying the tone of his voice to convey thoughts and emotions, besides he is actually acting.

The guy can not act to save his life, besides it was a cry baby, he always had problem with making action scenes and got his ass kicked by Willem Dafoe when making their scenes, he even call him names because of this.

Hey, I thought he was a great Parker. I love how he truly had a devestated look to his face for most of the movie after Uncle Ben's death. There was definitely sheer emotion in that performance IMPO. I LOVED the scene where he told Aunt May what really happened to Ben. Garfield Spidey was just concerned with looking cool on a skateboard and doing romantic lines as corny as possible.

By the way, as a fellow Star Wars fan, what do you think of Hayden Christensen.

#14 Edited by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

I never saw it. How was the Uncle Ben death scene?

UNCLE BEN IS DEAD?! Thanks for the spoiler! (I kid.)

#15 Posted by russellmania77 (14611 posts) - - Show Bio

@russellmania77: not because ASM is a**. no no. nostalgia.

ass? i dont get it.

anyways i hated tobey, i hated his face and his voice

ASM was the good

#16 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was a dreadful Peter and Spider-Man, he only told ONE joke in the entire series, and that was when he fought the wrestler and said "that's a nice dress, did you mother make it for you" that crap wasn't even funny. He was boring, emotionless, and dull to watch, Garfield was VASTLY better than him.

#17 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3436 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was a dreadful Peter and Spider-Man, he only told ONE joke in the entire series, and that was when he fought the wrestler and said "that's a nice dress, did you mother make it for you" that crap wasn't even funny. He was boring, emotionless, and dull to watch, Garfield was VASTLY better than him.

R U SERIOUS?

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3436 posts) - - Show Bio

@_cerberus_: As a heart attack.

Garfield suked worst than Tobey at acting, his tears were authentic unlike Garfield's :/

#20 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@_cerberus_: As a heart attack.

Garfield suked worst than Tobey at acting, his tears were authentic unlike Garfield's :/

Authentic? bologna, dude looked like he was constipated when he cried

#21 Posted by Pyro_Jack (345 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

#22 Posted by w0nd (2930 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

This.

what do you mean...are you forgetting the "you're the one who's out...OUT OF YOUR MIND!"

in all seriousness though, for an updated,ultimate take on peter i like andrew. People say he wasn't a nerd at all and was popular. He was not. I know many people who are by no means ugly and know how to dress but are socially awkward causing them to be outcasts. You don't have to be a stereotypical nerd to be a nerd/loser

#23 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@pyro_jack said:

@the_stegman said:

This.

what do you mean...are you forgetting the "you're the one who's out...OUT OF YOUR MIND!"

in all seriousness though, for an updated,ultimate take on peter i like andrew. People say he wasn't a nerd at all and was popular. He was not. I know many people who are by no means ugly and know how to dress but are socially awkward causing them to be outcasts. You don't have to be a stereotypical nerd to be a nerd/loser

Dammit, I did forget that line! That changes everything! :P But seriously, Garfield said ONE quip and was funnier than anything Tobey every said or did.

Car Thief pulls out knife

Spidey falls to knees "Oh God, is that a real knife??"

Car Thief-" Yeah, it's a real knife!!"

Spidey-"Ah! You found my weakness! It's tiny knives!''

As for the "I hate this new skateboarder Peter" People have to understand, you don't have to wear thick glasses and like science to be a nerd, Garfield's Peter was just as socially awkward if not more so than Tobey's. Hell, I went to high school, the Tobey brand of nerd doesn't even f*cking exist anymore.

#24 Posted by MonsterStomp (16137 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5527 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like either, but Tobey was better.

#26 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Garfield was more humorous to watch.

I also liked his fighting style better. Now don't get me wrong, Raimi's films had good fights, but I like that Garfield actually used spider like behavior, like when he crawled over the Lizard, wrapping him in webbing as he went or how he used a web and sensed the vibration when his "prey" moved over it.

#27 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: "did your husband make it for you" that's what he said

#28 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by drgnx (3551 posts) - - Show Bio

TM! I never bought Andrew as the pushover that Toby portrayed at the start of the franchise.

#30 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15286 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield all day long for me. He felt nerdier (designing his own web shooters, his research about Dr Connors) and his Spiderman was vastly more light-hearted and funny. I felt like I was reading a spiderman comic when I watched The Amazing Spider Man. It was way better than Spider Man and 100 times better than Spider Man 3.

As it stands Spiderman 2 is about equal in terms of overall enjoyment for me with TASM. But I am infinitely more excited about TASM going forward because I feel the cast is so much stronger, especially Garfield (Emma Stone is also ten times better than Dunst). Especially now that we got the origin story out of the way now we can just enjoy Peter and Spidey's adventures along the way.

I think people got upset too much about him riding a skateboard. Who the hell cares? Would you have liked him so much more if he rode a bike around instead? Or how about a scooter? I think people are over thinking that aspect way too much. The kid very well can't be in costume web slinging to school to back, how else is he suppose to get around?

Tobey was fine for me for awhile. I didn't love him, didn't hate him...until Spider Man 3. That movie completely ruined him for me.

#31 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5942 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15286 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Ugh, How great was Emma Stone as Gwen? She was so sweet.

Man their chemistry together was brilliant. Some of the best scenes are when the two of them aren't even saying anything. Like when Peter is first trying to ask her out but is too shy to get any coherent words and is just sort of mumbling...and she is understanding and just sort of agrees, lol. Very cute scene.

#34 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

Man their chemistry together was brilliant. Some of the best scenes are when the two of them aren't even saying anything. Like when Peter is first trying to ask her out but is too shy to get any coherent words and is just sort of mumbling...and she is understanding and just sort of agrees, lol. Very cute scene.

I also loved Uncle Ben in the film.

"Hey! He has you on his computer, I'm his probation worker!''

And what Peter whispered to her at the end about the promises that are broken are the best kind, and her slight smile, so well done

#35 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15286 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

@the_stegman said:

And what Peter whispered to her at the end about the promises that are broken are the best kind, and her slight smile, so well done

Yeah. I think TASM suffered a bit because it had to retell the origin story to establish the character. And by now of course since it is a reboot, many people (not just hardcore comic book fans) are very familiar with the story and we kind of didn't want to see it again (myself included).

That being said of course, TASM told the origin story better than the original Spider Man in 2002 did, IMO. I really like the fact the Peter never actually catches Ben's killer. It shows a maturity and acceptance on a different level than Spider Man in 2002 did, where he caught the guy.

It sort of culminates after Peter saves the little boy and returns him to his father. He accepts the fact that yes he does have powers and yes he has a responbility to the people of New York. Its not longer about revenge and it doesn't matter if he catches Ben's killer or not as long as he continues saving people he is honoring his uncles memory more than he ever could if he caught the guy.

But yeah...anyway. Loved the new film, loved Andrew and Emma. Very excited to see many more TASM movies. Spidey is just so unique is ability to cater to both a young and mature crowd, I hope we can get a good film franchise going for him for the next decade ;)

#36 Posted by The Stegman (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@the_stegman said:

Yeah. I think TASM suffered a bit because it had to retell the origin story to establish the character. And by now of course since it is a reboot, many people (not just hardcore comic book fans) are very familiar with the story and we kind of didn't want to see it again (myself included).

That being said of course, TASM told the origin story better than the original Spider Man in 2002 did, IMO. I really like the fact the Peter never actually catches Ben's killer. It shows a maturity and acceptance on a different level than Spider Man in 2002 did, where he caught the guy.

It sort of culminates after Peter saves the little boy and returns him to his father. He accepts the fact that yes he does have powers and yes he has a responbility to the people of New York. Its not longer about revenge and it doesn't matter if he catches Ben's killer or not as long as he continues saving people he is honoring his uncles memory more than he ever could if he caught the guy.

But yeah...anyway. Loved the new film, loved Andrew and Emma. Very excited to see many more TASM movies. Spidey is just so unique is ability to cater to both a young and mature crowd, I hope we can get a good film franchise going for him for the next decade ;)

#37 Posted by Wolverine08 (38893 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield. I hate Tobey as Spider-Man.

#38 Posted by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. I think a lot of people look back at Toby and the original Spider-Man movies with their nostalgia goggles on.

#39 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither were all that great, but Tobey was less bad

#40 Posted by JediXMan (29666 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey.

Andrew has a weakness that Tobey doesn't: web shooters, which can be damaged or destroyed. Tobey has an infinite supply, which also demonstrated better strength.

He had better strength and agility than Andrew did.

#41 Posted by MonsterStomp (16137 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

@the_stegman: Garfield was more humorous to watch.

I also liked his fighting style better. Now don't get me wrong, Raimi's films had good fights, but I like that Garfield actually used spider like behavior, like when he crawled over the Lizard, wrapping him in webbing as he went or how he used a web and sensed the vibration when his "prey" moved over it.

That was awesome!

Though I want to see more agility and acrobatics in his next film. Spiderman 2 and 3 had the most epic scenes. Like, Spiderman vs Doc Ock on the train, how Spiderman slipped through the pedestrian overpass, or in Spiderman 3 how Peter saved Gwen.

But yes, I did enjoy the spider instinct factor they added in the recent film.

#42 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: actually when he shoots Jonah Jameson in the mouth with webs he says, "quiet down kiddo let mom and dad speak"

#43 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9567 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: What Star Wars has to do with this?

I think he is a bad actor that can act, he just need the right director and the right script, also i think people decide to attack him for bad decision that George Lucas take and Lucas was the one to blkamce of all the crap going on around Vader.

#44 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey all day everyday. I think even Spiderman 3 was better than ASM. But the one single thing ASM has done right IMO was playful and talkative Spidey. Tobey had little moments on pissing off his opponents.

#45 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

You do realize Toby did not write the script? lmfao

#46 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9567 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey cant freacking act, he is not in the list of "bad" actors that can act, he is in the list of terrible actors that cant act.

Thats the reason why after Spiderman he made nothing of his future, i mean he was in Gatsby because his best firend is Leo DiCaprio.

This is not Keanu or Hayden, who at least try hard to do his job and don cry about making their own stunts, this is a guy he didnt even care that and cry about it.

Both of this guys have at least one great acting in their pockets

This is not The Rock who can freacking act and people is mean to him for his action star and wrestling status.

Sothland Tales and Gridirong Gang are evidence of this.

This is acting:

You can feel his emotion and dont need to understand what he is saying.

Kristen Stewarts is better that him, any person that saw Welcome to the Rileys, know she can act, saddly since she is not forced to do it, she barely even tries now.

Sly has Copland, any person that saw this movie know he is so damn good, is juts painfully obvious people dont care about good acting.

Jet Li in his oceans heaven, he show he can act join this with his martial arts skills, he is in the list of few people that can do both.

Tobey cant freacking act and you can tell in all his Spiderman movies.

People can be mean to Nic Cage all they want, but any day of the week Cage curbstomps Maguire.

Andrew is an actual actor, people that has seen him outside of Spiderman know this, this is a case of an good actor vs a terrible actor being help by nostalgia.

Also Raimi made Keanu act in the Gift, so is painfully obvious how much of a bad actor Maguire is.

#47 Edited by Pope052 (2982 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire by far,

I hated the Amazing Spider-Man, inferior villain, horrific looking costume, & mediocre acting (in my opinion),

The fight scenes were uninteresting and generally were just boring,

"Spider-Man" took off his mask too often,

The same basic storyline, that didn't need to be retold. We already know how Spider-Man became Spider-Man..

Some movies just don't need remakes, Spider-Man is a perfect example of one...

#48 Posted by _Glacier_ (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

I see we agree in here.

#49 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield. Not a fan of Tobey.

#50 Posted by Uncanny_Doom (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey. Garfield left a lot to be desired.