Amy Winehouse cause of death was Alcohol Withdrawal

tron_bonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tron_bonne

She absolutely clean from drugs according to her autopsy report that came in recently. They said that her alcohol level was 5 times the legal limit and that she poisoned herself from downing 5 bottles of Vodka! =(

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1673223/amy-winehouse-death-alcohol.jhtml 

Amy Winehouse 's cause of death was a result of the same factors that kill anyone who overindulges:  she, literally, drank herself to death .

It was revealed Wednesday (October 26) that Winehouse had more than five times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her body at the time of her July 23 death, which coroner Suzanne Greenway said unintentionally led to "such potentially fatal levels" that it caused the "Rehab" singer's demise.

Dr. Sam Zakhari, director of the Division of Metabolism and Health Effects at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, said what apparently befell Winehouse is not unlike what happens on college campuses every weekend.

"This is not the first time we're hearing about someone dying from an overdose of alcohol," said Zakhari, who did not treat Winehouse and has no firsthand knowledge of her case, but who was speaking to MTV News as an expert on the public facts of the case. "You hear it quite frequently here in the U.S. about college students who drink themselves to death."

Zakhari said when an individual consumes too much alcohol too quickly, their blood alcohol level increases dramatically and it can rise rapidly to several times the legal limit for intoxication. "That inhibits what's called the respiratory center, which is the area in the brain that controls [breathing]. When that is inhibited, people cannot breathe, period. That's what causes their death."

Winehouse, 27, who famously struggled with drug and alcohol addiction during her short life and rapid rise to fame, was found in bed in her London apartment in July, and police said they discovered three bottles of vodka at the scene. The inquest found no sign of illegal drugs in her system, and a postmortem examination of her body found her vital organs in good health. The amount of alcohol in her system was enough to stop her breathing and possibly send her into a coma, according to officials.

After initial autopsy results were inconclusive, the Grammy-winning singer's father, Mitch Winehouse, said his daughter had been drug-free for some time, suggesting that it was alcohol withdrawal that had killed her. But one of the singer's doctors said Winehouse had begun drinking again a few days before her death after a long period of abstinence.

Asked if Winehouse's history of substance abuse had any impact on the way she died, Zakhari said that her background would not necessarily play a part in such a death. "Experience with alcohol doesn't preclude a person from having respiratory arrest," he said. "There's no difference. Tolerance works within certain limits, but that would mainly [have an impact] on behavior." In other words, someone who has never been drunk will exhibit more visible signs of inebriation after consuming large amounts, versus a person with a history of drinking. But that tolerance is quickly negated as the level of alcohol consumed rises.

"A high concentration [of alcohol] will make that part of the brain cease to function regardless of whether that person is a chronic drinker or not," he said.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gravitypress

Well her last name was Winehouse. To soon?

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eternal Chaos
No Caption Provided

@gravitypress:

Absolutely not.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By nefarious

Hmmm, that is strange.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Ironic, isn't it?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

Well they said that she should go to rehab but she said no no no... She was correct after all... :D

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By cyberninja

Never liked her and I like black humor as much as the next guy, but she is dead, so just let her rest in peace. 

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EnSabahNurX

O_O thats why cold turkey isn't how you do it you must weened off she tried cold turkey but with her level of drinking her body probably couldn't function without it. I still feel like thats not the only thing that killed her

Shame, she could sing but i can't fee remorse for people who destroy themselves through a series of ridiculous decisions

When you have it all you're the only one who can make you fall

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By B'Town

I hope she has found some joy & peace. No one but Amy can know, what she may have been going through.

Drugs & Alcohol are a means of coping for some, and some like Amy go so deep they can't find their way back out in time before, even their bodies can't take it anymore.

Rest in peace, Amy.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Um, isn't Alcohol Withdrawal different than Alcohol Poisoning? Am I missing something here?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@texasdeathmatch said:

Um, isn't Alcohol Withdrawal different than Alcohol Poisoning? Am I missing something here?

No you're right, I was thinking by reading the title she was so used to drinking so much she tried to quit and her body shut down on her or something. I'm not saying this as a joke, but that was the first thought that popped into my head which is weird cause I didn't think something like that is possible.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@god_spawn said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

No you're right, I was thinking by reading the title she was so used to drinking so much she tried to quit and her body shut down on her or something. I'm not saying this as a joke, but that was the first thought that popped into my head which is weird cause I didn't think something like that is possible.

Same, I thought she died of withdrawal or something, but then read an article myself and found out it was alcohol poisoning.
armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By armylife1124

@texasdeathmatch said:

@god_spawn said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

Same, I thought she died of withdrawal or something, but then read an article myself and found out it was alcohol poisoning.

Same here I reread the article twice thinking I was dumb, may still be, but at least I knew it was not Withdrawl

tron_bonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tron_bonne
@texasdeathmatch said:
It is. The official autopsy suggested she poisoned herself by drinking those vodkas, but her father believes that since she hasn't been drinking for some time, her body wasn't used to the excessive drinking and it shut down because of it.  

After  initial autopsy results were inconclusive , the Grammy-winning singer's father, Mitch Winehouse, said his daughter had been drug-free for some time, suggesting that it was alcohol withdrawal that had killed her. But one of the singer's doctors said Winehouse had begun drinking again a few days before her death after a long period of abstinence.

NEW YORK - Amy Winehouse's father says he believes she died after suffering a seizure related to alcohol detoxification and "there was nobody there to rescue her."

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@god_spawn said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

Are you sure you cant die of alcohol withdrawl

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By CATPANEXE

Well the official cause of death would be alcohol poisoning as that was determined by medical science. Inconclusive can be stated in the media when there's even

one denial, whether from a medical professional or not, in this case being her father, and it seems the autopsy found the alcohol in her system.

The fathers denial being either over grief, not wanting to tarnish his daughters/family name, or pure nativity likely compounded with his daughter keeping him in

the dark as not to worry him, is still not a credible science nor one at all in establishing a C.O.D.

My mother for example is in denial about 90% of everything about me or more, due in part because she chooses to and because I lead her to believe what

she wants to believe vs. what is truth as she seems happier in the dream of her still perceived as baby is, as well I don't want to present her with more reasons

to worry and stress in life as she has enough problems already.