Americans ‘woefully ignorant’

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc

Americans are woefully ignorant about their own country, let alone anywhere else, reveals a survey.

More than a third failed the official US Citizenship Test, a rudimentary exam taken by immigrants, and 29 percent could not name their vice-president as Joe Biden.

Four out of ten could not name the country’s enemies in the Second World War and more than a fifth knew nothing about Martin Luther King. Nearly three-quarters had no idea why America got involved in the Cold War.

The poll of 1 000 people for Newsweek magazine also revealed 44 percent could not define the Bill of Rights, 81 percent could not name a single federal power and only 6 percent knew there are 27 amendments to their Constitution.

It is not the first poll to highlight lack of knowledge. In 2009, a survey about international affairs showed only 58 percent of Americans could identify the Taliban despite the war on terror.

In 2010, a poll about religion showed 29 percent did not know Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Dalton Conley, of New York University, told Newsweek: “We have a lot of very poor people without access to good education, and a huge immigrant population that doesn’t even speak English.”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/americans-woefully-ignorant-1.1045359?showComments=true 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't know it was this bad.  

See if you can pass the test: 

http://www.blogthings.com/couldyoupasstheuscitizenshiptestquiz/
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
United States of America never seems to disappoint when it comes to our own Ignorance of what our Country is about or how it functions...
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

RESPECT THE U.S

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vitality

I honestly see no reason why everyone in the US needs to know these things. 
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

What we don't know doesn't annoy us so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By cyberninja

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By DeadpoolvIronFist

I passed 
10 out of 10

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Americans don't say " I don't know" when they are ignorant about something , they just simply say " I don't care." lol

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberninja said:

"   

"
I knew the answer to everyone of these questions.
PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrinceIMC

Have these people never ever seen a map?
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ARMIV

Wow, I actually didn't know some of the answers to those test questions...
The hell I'm gonna be ignorant of the history of my country! Quick, somebody give me an American history book!

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By cpt_linger
@Vitality said:
"I honestly see no reason why everyone in the US needs to know these things.  "

I agree, you may not know who Joe Biden is but as long as you know you have to go to work and pay your taxes then i don't see why any of this is important. It might hope to know some of these things to function socialy, but even that is not important.
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MKF30

The whole world is ignorant about everything really.... 

I'm sure tons of americans are ignorant daily, but I'm also sure the rest of the world is as well.

Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Saint_of_Guns

this video hurt to watch. i can not believe my own people are so stupid... honestly, where was the berlin wall??? how do you not know that!!!

CaptinAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaptinAwesome
@Jake Fury said:
"
http://www.800citizen.org/us_citizenship_test/ 
 Practice test....I scored a 78%....on 50 questions "
I got an 82% did better than I expected.  

@Sexy Merc:
I got 8 out of 10 Newsweek probably went looking for the dumbest Americans to take this test...
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cpt_linger
@MKF30 said:
"The whole world is ignorant about everything really....  I'm sure tons of americans are ignorant daily, but I'm also sure the rest of the world is as well. "

The US boasts the worst education levels of any developed country, to say that the rest of the world is just as ignorant is... well... ignorant.

@Saint_of_Guns said:
"this video hurt to watch. i can not believe my own people are so stupid... honestly, where was the berlin wall??? how do you not know that!!! "

It's bad, a tv show here went over to the states to question some people in the public, and they were shown a map of australia with world wonders in each capital city. EVERYONE beleived the great wall of china is in Darwin, the Taj Mahal is in Sydney and the Pyramids of Egypt were in Melbourne, there were more also (Eiffel Tower in Brisbane)

It was honestly quite remarkable how little some people new about geograhpy, but I think things like these are common sense. 

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21  Edited By goldenshot80
I'm just going to say. MOST Americans are stupid
Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Saint_of_Guns
@goldenshot80 said:
" I'm just going to say. MOST Americans are stupid "
Thanks for the qualifier. Although I must admit, I'm feeling very superior to my fellow Americans right now...
Nasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Nasher

To be fair the proposed British version got similar results in a test i saw on the news a few years back. 

A few months back i was actually close to doing the US citizenship test and its pretty tough and i asked several co-workers to help me with the questions.. and they found them on the hard side.. like most things.. when you live somewhere knowing the exact structure and history down to the dates is not strictly necessary but if you want some sort of measure as to the kind of person you are letting in to the country you want to give them a test that really does test them.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sexy Merc said:
"

Americans are woefully ignorant about their own country, let alone anywhere else, reveals a survey.

More than a third failed the official US Citizenship Test, a rudimentary exam taken by immigrants, and 29 percent could not name their vice-president as Joe Biden.

Four out of ten could not name the country’s enemies in the Second World War and more than a fifth knew nothing about Martin Luther King. Nearly three-quarters had no idea why America got involved in the Cold War.

The poll of 1 000 people for Newsweek magazine also revealed 44 percent could not define the Bill of Rights, 81 percent could not name a single federal power and only 6 percent knew there are 27 amendments to their Constitution.

It is not the first poll to highlight lack of knowledge. In 2009, a survey about international affairs showed only 58 percent of Americans could identify the Taliban despite the war on terror.

In 2010, a poll about religion showed 29 percent did not know Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

Dalton Conley, of New York University, told Newsweek: “We have a lot of very poor people without access to good education, and a huge immigrant population that doesn’t even speak English.”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/americans-woefully-ignorant-1.1045359?showComments=true 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't know it was this bad.  

See if you can pass the test: 

http://www.blogthings.com/couldyoupasstheuscitizenshiptestquiz/ "

Cause no Americans care about anything in that article lol
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nefarious

Very true.

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MKF30

@cpt, well it's true the rest of the world IS ignorant but I also said so is America.....other countries have ignorant views on us based off of MTV, so I'm pretty sure that's ignorance at it's best lol

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By rogue_mar1e

lol, I failed that test in the link.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

In fairness, 

NO ONE KNOWS WHY THE US WERE INVOLVED IN THE COLD WAR

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" In fairness, 

NO ONE KNOWS WHY THE US WERE INVOLVED IN THE COLD WAR

"
We were involved in the Cold War because f*** Russia
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Lance Uppercut: I blame Winston Churchill, a few days after WW2 ends he's like "let's kill Stalin!" WTF, man? First of all, Stalin was a bad guy and a nut, yes, but it's none of your ****ing business what happens in another country, and WW2 JUST ENDED!
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@goldenshot80 said:
" I'm just going to say. MOST Americans are stupid "
Most people are stupid. Country of origin has nothing to do with it.
TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheBatman586

It's times like this that make me proud to be Canadian...

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@FadeToBlackBolt: That would have been like turning to France after the revolutionary war and saying "Yo France, it's on."
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Lance Uppercut: Yeah, but that's at least logical, the French would have surrendered within a week anyway :P

Stalin was like a super virus, the man just wouldn't stop until everyone was dead.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@FadeToBlackBolt: Watch out mate, they might spit Espresso at you. 
biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By biggkeem89

I passed the test pretty easily, but I will have a bachelor's degree in history in about a month and a half, so it may not be as easy for some

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I passed, barely. But I'm an Australian who's interested in 20th Century History, which isn't exactly prevalent on the test.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

People all over the world are ignorant. Americans just get the most attention.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Hey, cut us some slack! We're still recovering from 8 years of having Bush as president, so it's not like we've had the best role model! ;)

stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stuamerica

And Obama thought we had 53 states.  It is sad how little we seem to know about our own nation, though it is played up to a ridiculous degree.  
9 of 10 and 96% on the two tests just to note, but history is a passion of mine (though the big quiz had my states old governor instead of the current so it was wrong on one ;)

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fifty-three states? What an idiot! Everyone knows we have forty-five, excluding Japan.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43  Edited By Nasar7

9 out of 10. Good enough.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jeanlucpicard

I hate tests, but then again i'm too lazy to work the thing my skull protects. 

The school I went to, in history class, everyone got terrible grades, people don't care about history, which is sad. 

History = awesome.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I'm a smart American and I agree that Americans are mostly stupid. I can't believe how many people I've met that don't know our national anthem, the vice president or even the most basic history. I have tests all the time.  

My latest was to ask all the people I work with to name five Civil War generals. Highest score was 2.  

Also, to the people saying no Americans care about the questions in the OP - that isn't true. LOTS of Americans care about Jesus. They may not know anything about him, but they will come to your door and sell him anyway.  :)

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By isaac_clarke
@stuamerica said:
"And Obama thought we had 53 states.  It is sad how little we seem to know about our own nation, though it is played up to a ridiculous degree.   9 of 10 and 96% on the two tests just to note, but history is a passion of mine (though the big quiz had my states old governor instead of the current so it was wrong on one ;) "

It's funny how people cling to that as a way to make a pun at one of the most well educated Presidents the US has ever had.
Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Manchine
@Vitality said:

I agree.

Most of this doesn't deal with anything important its just random facts.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By isaac_clarke
@Manchine said:
"@Vitality said:

I agree.

Most of this doesn't deal with anything important its just random facts.

"

I think you should have some idea who your Vice President is, since he is literally a heartbeat away from the Presidency.
Although I do agree, the Jesus portion isn't something every American should know.