• 81 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

Obama's administration has with congressional approval legalized drone strikes on American Citizens in America without due process and minimal over site. Congratulations America you registered voters got fooled for the billionth time

#2 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

How do you think special operations groups conduct their business currently? They don't ask for congressional approval to kill or capture a target, regardless of where they are. The privilege of freedom of operations is simply being extended to drone forces.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

... Oh this can't possibly end well.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance: So that just makes it all right then? That's like saying a dude is okay to drive after a beer we may as well legalize drunk driving

#5 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TotalBalance: So that just makes it all right then? That's like saying a dude is okay to drive after a beer we may as well legalize drunk driving

It is not really similar at all. Drunk driving accomplishes nothing, however being able to quickly eliminate dangerous targets allows a more efficient subjugation of the undesirable elements of society like terrorists.

#6 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

We made our bed.

#7 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

When I went to London once and the person showing me around said that there were video cameras everywhere monitoring the citizens. I asked them if that bothered them and they said no because they weren't doing anything illegal and if it could keep them safer than they supported it. That's how I feel about this, as long as it isn't abused, and that is often the issue with these types of things. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now because, logically speaking, if I didn't trust my government I wouldn't live here.

#8 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

@joshmightbe said:

@TotalBalance: So that just makes it all right then? That's like saying a dude is okay to drive after a beer we may as well legalize drunk driving

It is not really similar at all. Drunk driving accomplishes nothing, however being able to quickly eliminate dangerous targets allows a more efficient subjugation of the undesirable elements of society like terrorists.

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't our government in question. Call me paranoid, but i don't trust them to use it solely on 'undesirable elements'.

#9 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been busy lately. Link?

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance: So let me get this straight, when the republicans legalize wire tapping of Amercans without a Warrant its evil but Democrats legalizing bomb strikes on Americans without even requiring a full scale investigation and its all cool?

#11 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TotalBalance: So let me get this straight, when the republicans legalize wire tapping of Amercans without a Warrant its evil but Democrats legalizing bomb strikes on Americans without even requiring a full scale investigation and its all cool?

When did I ever say I disagree with the republicans legalizing wire tapping?

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance: So you're one of those people that actually believes the cretins in congress have our best interests at heart when they do this crap cause honestly Santa is more likely

#13 Posted by Aronmorales (9291 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I get an article link please?

#14 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aronmorales said:

Can I get an article link please?

all i could find that wasn't a video.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/5/justice-department-memo-drone-strikes-us-citizens-/

#15 Posted by Aronmorales (9291 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Zombie_: Graci.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aronmorales: See above reply

#18 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Why should they have the best interest of the mob in mind? The mob is a foolish and finicky thing that can hardly be called consistent. For that reason government should operate at a distance from the common people so that they can make more rational and long-term decisions for the good of the future of the nation.

#19 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

*starts digging*

#20 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

@joshmightbe: Why should they have the best interest of the mob in mind? The mob is a foolish and finicky thing that can hardly be called consistent. For that reason government should operate at a distance from the common people so that they can make more rational and long-term decisions for the good of the future of the nation.

Isn't that exactly what they've been doing? So in effect, the behavior that fcked us?

#21 Posted by Aronmorales (9291 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: And I thank you too.

#22 Posted by Aronmorales (9291 posts) - - Show Bio

...Huh, this is...yeah, this will definitely come up at some point this week.

Looking forward to dinner tonight!

#23 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

...Challenge Accepted government...

Come and get me!

...

That being said the Title makes it sound like we weren't officially screwed before....

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: Well I had a tiny dim bit of hope left in me but this killed it

#25 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@TheCheeseStabber: Well I had a tiny dim bit of hope left in me but this killed it

*Smh*

Better your dreams be crushed now then later on

#26 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: thanks

#27 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Obama's administration has with congressional approval legalized drone strikes on American Citizens in America without due process and minimal over site. Congratulations America you registered voters got fooled for the billionth time

@joshmightbe said:

@Xanni15: http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/02/07/obama-releases-secret-memo-to-senate-on-drone-program/

Where in that article that you provided does it state that this has " legalized drone strikes on American Citizens in America" ?

From the article it sounds like they are targeting Americans that are overseas and in a senior position in a terrorist organization. Granted, I am only coming to this conclusion from the information you provided thus far.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: It was on the Daily Show

#29 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979 said:

From the article it sounds like they are targeting Americans that are overseas and in a senior position in a terrorist organization. Granted, I am only coming to this conclusion from the information you provided thus far.

That was my conclusion as well.

Still pretty horrible though.

Then again, raining death from above on anyone without due process is pretty horrible.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom: The Daily Show implied that it could be used on American soil.

#31 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I think you might have mistaken satire for reality. The memo and the articles that have been provided clearly state that the drone attacks are conducted off U.S. soil, and to American targets that are senior members of a terrorist organization.

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberchop979: But they don't actually require proof that these are senior members, suspicion is the only requirement meaning its basically whoever the government decides to bomb so long as someone thinks they could be a terrorist.

#33 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@cyberchop979: But they don't actually require proof that these are senior members, suspicion is the only requirement meaning its basically whoever the government decides to bomb so long as someone thinks they could be a terrorist.

I don't disagree with the fact the lack of due process is disturbing. All I am saying is the OP is kinda misleading.

This is all happening over seas in war torn countries with known concentrations of terrorists and terrorist organizations.

It doesn't make it right, but what your OP states is not happening either.

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34934 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

@joshmightbe said:

@TotalBalance: So that just makes it all right then? That's like saying a dude is okay to drive after a beer we may as well legalize drunk driving

It is not really similar at all. Drunk driving accomplishes nothing, however being able to quickly eliminate dangerous targets allows a more efficient subjugation of the undesirable elements of society like terrorists.

I automatically disagree with any statement that has that in it.

#35 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

This can never end well, ever.

#36 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (255 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

This can never end well, ever.

The situation or the thread? ;)

#37 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gwahlur_Rising: Both.

#38 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@TotalBalance said:

@joshmightbe said:

@TotalBalance: So that just makes it all right then? That's like saying a dude is okay to drive after a beer we may as well legalize drunk driving

It is not really similar at all. Drunk driving accomplishes nothing, however being able to quickly eliminate dangerous targets allows a more efficient subjugation of the undesirable elements of society like terrorists.

I automatically disagree with any statement that has that in it.

Why is that?

#39 Posted by joshmightbe (24689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yea cause historically it has never ended well when Governments start deciding whose an undesirable element.

#40 Posted by The Stegman (25972 posts) - - Show Bio
S'why I don't vote...that and laziness.
#41 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@spinningbirdcake

When I went to London once and the person showing me around said that there were video cameras everywhere monitoring the citizens. I asked them if that bothered them and they said no because they weren't doing anything illegal and if it could keep them safer than they supported it. That's how I feel about this, as long as it isn't abused, and that is often the issue with these types of things. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now because, logically speaking, if I didn't trust my government I wouldn't live here.

I'm not really a fan of this analogy, although I get the sentiment.

The CCTV system is a passive monitoring system. It's intent and basic function is not to harm - simply to watch and monitor. A drone strike has one purpose and one purpose only - to kill.
Moderator
#42 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

Regarding the memo, I don't recall seeing anything that indicated it could be conducted on American soil, but it's a damn good question.

Moderator
#43 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3575 posts) - - Show Bio

Population reductions plan almost at 100% before initiation.

1980 = 3 Billion people on Earth

2001 = 5 Billion people on Earth

2013 = 7 Billion people on Earth

2015 = 2 Billion people on Earth

#44 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Population reductions plan almost at 100% before initiation.

1980 = 3 Billion people on Earth

2001 = 5 Billion people on Earth

2013 = 7 Billion people on Earth

2015 = 2 Billion people on Earth

That's completely irrelevant.

#45 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3575 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Zombie_ said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Population reductions plan almost at 100% before initiation.

1980 = 3 Billion people on Earth

2001 = 5 Billion people on Earth

2013 = 7 Billion people on Earth

2015 = 2 Billion people on Earth

That's completely irrelevant.

How many resorces do we have in the planet to continue to maintain over 7 Billion Human Beings and rising?

  • 1 Billion Meat Produce (cattle,pigs,lamb etc) vs 7 Billion people
  • Trees greately declining
  • Pollution rising
  • Sodium Floride in Water
  • Mercury in Vaccines
  • Perservitives in foods
#46 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ Yeah I'm not exactly defending them. I'm just saying that if someone needs to be killed a passive monitoring system won't do it. Like I said if it's not being abused I have no problem with it. Maybe I'm just quicker to "pull the trigger" than others, or maybe I'm just wrong...
#47 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3575 posts) - - Show Bio

He already signed the NDAA Martial Law.

1+1=

#48 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio
@spinningbirdcake I'm all for pragmatism, especially when it's bad people putting innocents in danger. My issue is when the law is skirted to do so. It's a disconcertingly grey area. Not so much morally (although the argument can be made), but legally.
Moderator
#49 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

2015 = 2 Billion people on Earth

They're gonna kill 5 billion people... With drones?

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

He already signed the NDAA Martial Law.

1+1=

The NDAA is signed every year. Without it the DoD would shut down completely.

#50 Posted by DCsuperman0007 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

you are insanely ignorant you have no idea what you are talking about.