Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello and welcome to my review of hit the horror web series Marble Hornets and the Slenderman Mythos.

What is the Slenderman? (Backstory):

Slenderman’s creation dates back to the year of 2009. A creation of Eric Knudsen that sprouted up on a forum on the website SomethingAwful, Slenderman has since then morphed into the modern day boogie man. Our faceless tall man has a whole host of fan art, stories, games and various different interpretation of what it is, why it is (My favorite is the tulpa theory http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tulpa_Effect), its powers and its motivations.

Arguably the most popular and successful series is documentary styled Marble Hornets, created by Troy Wagner and Joseph DeLarge.

Story:

Centering on a young film student Jay (Troy), who kicks off by telling the audience about his friend and fellow film student Alex (Joseph). Jay states he hasn’t seen Alex in a while and when he did, Alex wasn’t acting normal, alluding to strange occurrences happing during the filming of his movie, Marble Hornets. Jay’s curiosity gets the better of him and he is able to convince Alex to hand over the tapes from the production before he leaves.

Upon studying the tapes, Jay notes a very odd clip, it is a clip of Alex being disturbed in the middle of the night, he gets up to investigate, doing a quick scope of the outside, the vid ends with a tall thin man in a black suit, at the corner of the camera. Once again motivated to find out what really went down and who or what individual in the video was, Jay continues to dig deeper, but little did he know, he is being absorbed into a world intense fear.

Analysis:

Legendary novelist Stephen King said in a forward to the video game, Alan Wake that horror is not knowing. Bad things happen and people are left with a handful of why, what the, and wait a second. That is the beauty of Marble Hornets. The series invites you to diagnose videos, looking for clues. With some of the entries there are response videos (which you tube no longer doing, but are still able to be found) coming from a character, totheArk. These responses are cryptic, allow you try figure the meaning behind the message.

While the Slender myth gained its fame from Let plays of the video games, where people freak out, in an overreacting way (not that I have anything against that), what I personally enjoy the most is the creativity. Something like this shows that people can just take random picture and makes something cool. (Unlike Jeff the Killer : D) Marble Hornets is one of the sources that shapes the universe and gave us many accepted elements of the character, such as: the pages, video distortion and the sickness. MH gives you characters to be invested in, protagonists you want to see make it through and characters like Masky, which are wrapped in mystery.

One gripe I do have is the sense of realism. While I know it’s fake, one thing gives a hang up, it’s reacting and vocal acknowledgement. In some cases, a character is investing an area, and is pretty darn silent, during this investigation, they get attacked, and no real sounds outside of the sounds of struggle, how about a scream?

Overall I give it an 8.5, it’s still currently on going, so give it look if you’re interested.

Link to playlist with main videos and totheArk vids: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCACDEE1E71FC8E5E

#1 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

I can post again! No more holding me down Karma level! (please don't flag me. I swear...I'll be temp banned again. I'm probably at a 9 for Karma rating...) I shall celebrate by posting on @darling_luna's blog!

Ooooh! It's that video you posted on my ask me thread. Very cool.

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome blog

and I have to admit that Slender is the only urban myth that gives me a serious chill down my spine.

#3 Edited by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: *high paws*

@jaken7: *Flags because she is a cat that doesn't know how to work the interwebs*

#4 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: *dances in the gentle shower*

#6 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna: ...that's a wet pussy ;)

XD I couldn't help myself!

#7 Edited by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: *calls your mom, tells her about your behavior, but since she is a cat, it's just a bunch of meowing*

#8 Posted by scorpion2501 (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve of this review. *Purrrs away*

#9 Edited by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by scorpion2501 (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna: Slendy just wants some lovin'. He's misunderstood.

#11 Edited by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by scorpion2501 (6138 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna: Pine Tree impalemet is now my favorite way to kill someone!

#14 Posted by Samimista (20830 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna: Slendy is a sweetie! He means no harm really. =O

#15 Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: Nope, you're thinking of his cousin Splendorman

#16 Edited by scorpion2501 (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

The internet never ceases to amaze me...

#17 Edited by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpion2501: Slender Family

Slender man, Splendor man, Tender man(sweater) and Enderman

#18 Posted by scorpion2501 (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpion2501: Slender Family

Slender man, Splendor man, Tender man(sweater) and Enderman

I would hang out with half of them...

#19 Edited by Samimista (20830 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna said:

The internet never ceases to amaze me...

LOL! Oh my gosh this is awesome. XD I wanna party with Splendorman!

#20 Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Samimista (20830 posts) - - Show Bio

@darling_luna: =D *brings out dancing lobsters* We be partying! 0.0

#22 Posted by Darling_Luna (4179 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by wildvine (10329 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review kitten. And since we're posting Slender love, gotta have this.