• 76 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) 9 months, 3 days ago

Alien or Predator? (60 votes)

Xenomorph (Alien) 28%
Yautja (Predator) 72%

So which creature do you prefer and why?

The Predator

Or

The Alien

#1 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator, no contest

#2 Edited by Xwraith (10930 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Yautja, but I like the Alien series more.

#3 Edited by consolemaster001 (4480 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator

#4 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

alien. something about a grinny killing machine. just awesome.

#6 Edited by Xwraith (10930 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: I found the Yautja to be more interesting design-wise, as well as the fact that it's an intelligent life-form (as opposed to the Xenomorphs, which are essentially just giant insects.)

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (5847 posts) - - Show Bio

As a kid I always preferred the Predator. As an adult I realize how perfect the movie Alien was and now am team Xenomorph.

#8 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (26808 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator!

#10 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@mrdecepticonleader: I found the Yautja to be more interesting design-wise, as well as the fact that it's an intelligent life-form (as opposed to the Xenomorphs, which are essentially just giant insects.)

I see.

#12 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by The Stegman (20786 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator. It is intelligent, calculating and strategic, the Xenomorphs, while posessing intelligence operates more on a hive mind and is just a typical monster.

#17 Edited by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator is cool but in a really cheesy way, whereas Xenomorphs are genuinely terrifying.

(Plus the Alien movies are waay better!)

#18 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

Um the Xenomorphs are actually sentient. For example, the Queen is capable of higher thought and has telepathic powers. She is perfectly capable of understanding reasoning, can plan, and has actually communicated with people before.

#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

Um the Xenomorphs are actually sentient. For example, the Queen is capable of higher thought and has telepathic powers. She is perfectly capable of understanding reasoning, can plan, and has actually communicated with people before.

True but the Xenomorphs have a hive mind meaning they link back to the Queen.

#20 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the Preds just thought Id put that out there.

I do think it is due to the fact they have a culture and a way of life and how they pretty much dedicate and base their entire culture around the hunt. I have always loved the technology they use as well and how it seems like their technology as a whole has not advanced a whole lot yet they are still more advanced than us in that regard. I love the mix between advanced alien race and ancient warrior civilization.

#21 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I understand that, but the Xenomorphs are not exactly dumb. In Aliens they were smart enough to operate machinery (though at the most rudimentary level) and cut the power to the facility. They were also smart enough to lay traps and lure people. They are also capable of speaking to each other via screeching/ pheromone release.

Personally I think the Yautja are cooler, but the Xenomorphs had a huge impact on the science fiction genre. Also, with the revelations revealed from Prometheus, it seems that the Xenomorphs are more like biological/robotic weapons, rather than natural creatures.

#22 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I understand that, but the Xenomorphs are not exactly dumb. In Aliens they were smart enough to operate machinery (though at the most rudimentary level) and cut the power to the facility. They were also smart enough to lay traps and lure people. They are also capable of speaking to each other via screeching/ pheromone release.

Personally I think the Yautja are cooler, but the Xenomorphs had a huge impact on the science fiction genre. Also, with the revelations revealed from Prometheus, it seems that the Xenomorphs are more like biological/robotic weapons, rather than natural creatures.

Well yes they are not dumb I never said that. Though I do feel some people are dismissing them as such. I know they cut the power in Aliens when did they operate machinery though? Not saying they didn't but its just awhile since I have watched Aliens.

Alot of the cannon in regards to them are all over the place.

#23 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I feel like people don't really know much outside of the films.

I feel the same happens for other alien races in fiction. Like no one knows anything about the Zerg or the Protoss from Starcraft.

#24 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I feel like people don't really know much outside of the films.

I feel the same happens for other alien races in fiction. Like no one knows anything about the Zerg or the Protoss from Starcraft.

Yeah I mean not that much info is really given on them in the films. I mean there is some but it does help to read more about them.

#25 Posted by QueenCorp15 (987 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator ........... Some sweet @ss toys

#26 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Chaos Prime (10589 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted Aliens

#28 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

Predator. As far as I know reproducing with doesn't lead me to having a tentacle slipped down my throat and impregnated with a penis larva that will burst out of my chest.

#29 Edited by GreenArrow4924 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Alien. I've always liked Alien. They look b@d@$$, bleed acid, are sly killers, and lay babies inside victims that rip their way out. It takes a lot to kill an Alien.

Predators I never liked. Hunting is their life, they have all the cool weapons, invisibility, but still get owned by humans.

#30 Posted by _Braveheart_ (1312 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote for Predator.

#31 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Um the Xenomorphs are actually sentient. For example, the Queen is capable of higher thought and has telepathic powers. She is perfectly capable of understanding reasoning, can plan, and has actually communicated with people before.

no, not really

Alien. I've always liked Alien. They look b@d@$$, bleed acid, are sly killers, and lay babies inside victims that rip their way out. It takes a lot to kill an Alien.

Predators I never liked. Hunting is their life, they have all the cool weapons, invisibility, but still get owned by humans.

dude, marines killed like, twenty Xeno's each

any Pred could kill 6 or 7 soldiers....

#32 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

What exactly are you disagreeing with? Because I can show you scans of an Alien Queen being able to telepathically communicate with people and can actually understand human language.

#33 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

What exactly are you disagreeing with? Because I can show you scans of an Alien Queen being able to telepathically communicate with people and can actually understand human language.

ohhh

the expanded universe

you count that?

#34 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

Uh, I hope you know the image you just posted was non-canon, even before the release of Prometheus. There are things which are labelled canon and non-canon, just like every other comic continuity. So once again I fail to see why the expanded universe doesn't count?

#37 Posted by Veshark (8544 posts) - - Show Bio

Used to get in mad debates with friends about this as a kid.

I'd always be Alien and my friend would be Predator. He'd throw crap at me like boomerangs and pretend he was cloaking. I'd salivate and act like a reptilian freak. Ah, childhood.

Uh so yeah, Xenos for me.

#38 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1:

Uh, I hope you know the image you just posted was non-canon, even before the release of Prometheus. There are things which are labelled canon and non-canon, just like every other comic continuity. So once again I fail to see why the expanded universe doesn't count?

...okay then

sure

and the telepathy was canon?

and the Aliens in the movies just...forgot they they had telepathy?

#39 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6083 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@betatesthighlander1:

Uh, I hope you know the image you just posted was non-canon, even before the release of Prometheus. There are things which are labelled canon and non-canon, just like every other comic continuity. So once again I fail to see why the expanded universe doesn't count?

...okay then

sure

and the telepathy was canon?

and the Aliens in the movies just...forgot they they had telepathy?

The Queen has telepathy, not the individual Xenomorphs themselves. I'm not going to sit here and explain everything to you, just because you don't believe in the expanded universe. The telepathy was used by an older Alien Queen, one who was much older than the one on the colony. The expanded universe explains that the Xenomorphs become increasingly more intelligent and more complex as time goes on. Hence why you get things like Xenomorph Empresses and Praetorian Guards.

As for telepathy, you can witness it in Alien 3. There was the one guy who kept calling the Xenomorph the 'dragon' and released it once it was captured.

#40 Posted by nick_hero22 (6330 posts) - - Show Bio

Predators own

#41 Posted by nick_hero22 (6330 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@betatesthighlander1:

the expanded universe is canon, so I don't see why not?

oh

so

this

is actually supposed to be the same as

this

I don't see how this is suppose to disprove anything? The Space Jockeys were thought to look like that before their re-design in Prometheus, so I don't see how one inaccurate image is suppose to disprove the whole entire AVP continuity.

#42 Edited by consolemaster001 (4480 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16884 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Much cooler and badass

Ah well anything that can turn invisible is always a nice plus :) But then the cloaking field isn't much use on the Aliens.

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

sentient

can kill much better

The Aliens are sentient. The Queen was capable of using an elevator in Aliens.

So you like how they kill better? Alright.

yeah, we're not really sure if that elevator was in some sort of emergency automation mode or anything

The fact is it uses the lift we see it explicitly use it. That and she is shown of having a higher understanding since when Ripley comes to save Newt the Queen seemingly lets her go almost as if she understands in a way how Ripley feels about Newt since she may feel a similar way about her hive. Weather the Queen was going to just let them leave the hive or not is uncertain since she quickly starts to mow down the eggs and whatnot so that obviously enraged the Queen. If the Queen was setting a trap for Ripley then that shows how intelligent the Queen is. Or even if she was genuinely going to let them leave that shows she has a higher understanding and reasoning.

#44 Posted by OptimusPalm (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Alien. It doesn't need guns. It doesn't need armour. It is what it is. badass.

#45 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Much cooler and badass

Ah well anything that can turn invisible is always a nice plus :) But then the cloaking field isn't much use on the Aliens.

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

sentient

can kill much better

The Aliens are sentient. The Queen was capable of using an elevator in Aliens.

So you like how they kill better? Alright.

yeah, we're not really sure if that elevator was in some sort of emergency automation mode or anything

The fact is it uses the lift we see it explicitly use it. That and she is shown of having a higher understanding since when Ripley comes to save Newt the Queen seemingly lets her go almost as if she understands in a way how Ripley feels about Newt since she may feel a similar way about her hive. Weather the Queen was going to just let them leave the hive or not is uncertain since she quickly starts to mow down the eggs and whatnot so that obviously enraged the Queen. If the Queen was setting a trap for Ripley then that shows how intelligent the Queen is. Or even if she was genuinely going to let them leave that shows she has a higher understanding and reasoning.

the building was on fire

it's not that ridiculous to presume that the elevators were programmed to automatically evacuate everyone in that scenario

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@betatesthighlander1:

Uh, I hope you know the image you just posted was non-canon, even before the release of Prometheus. There are things which are labelled canon and non-canon, just like every other comic continuity. So once again I fail to see why the expanded universe doesn't count?

...okay then

sure

and the telepathy was canon?

and the Aliens in the movies just...forgot they they had telepathy?

The Queen has telepathy, not the individual Xenomorphs themselves. I'm not going to sit here and explain everything to you, just because you don't believe in the expanded universe. The telepathy was used by an older Alien Queen, one who was much older than the one on the colony. The expanded universe explains that the Xenomorphs become increasingly more intelligent and more complex as time goes on. Hence why you get things like Xenomorph Empresses and Praetorian Guards.

As for telepathy, you can witness it in Alien 3. There was the one guy who kept calling the Xenomorph the 'dragon' and released it once it was captured.

okay, so, your new statement makes your original statement seem a bit misleading, considering how few Aliens would have any sentience...

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@betatesthighlander1:

the expanded universe is canon, so I don't see why not?

oh

so

this

is actually supposed to be the same as

this

I don't see how this is suppose to disprove anything? The Space Jockeys were thought to look like that before their re-design in Prometheus, so I don't see how one inaccurate image is suppose to disprove the whole entire AVP continuity.

because their entirely different races?

as evidenced by their physiology

#46 Posted by Bruxae (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Alien by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

#47 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (8209 posts) - - Show Bio

Xenomorphs, I like their design/concept and the fact they have acid for blood.

#48 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Edited by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

The Alien movies (first and second) are waaaaaay better than Predator (2nd and Predators movie sucked).

With that being said, I like the Predator better.

But if you asked me which movie would I rather watch, I would say Aliens (2nd one).