MusicReviewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By MusicReviewer
No Caption Provided

This year see's the release of the second studio album by South African based group St. Lucia, entitled "Matter." This record is a very good example in how to make a 80's tinged synth-pop album. Though not every track sells me (especially as you get to the back half of the album,) the album is still overall highly enjoyable and fun. Tracks like the huge sounding opener "Do You Remember," the very Duran Duran sounding "Home," and the dance anthem "Winds of Change" really show the massive amounts of talent that St. Lucia have. St. Lucia's leader, Jean-Phillip Grobler delivers some strong, engaging vocal performances and does a great job at singing over the normally big sounding, synth heavy instrumentals. Speaking of the instrumentals, they are also strong throughout the album's 50 or so minutes. Their sound is often layered, fun, and overall creative. I really dig some of the bass work that is sprinkled on a lot of these songs. When the bass is there, it really helps to give the track a nice groove and feel. The synths are also really well executed and are the album's main instrument. There also is the addition of some loud and boomy sounding drums, which gives the album a huge feel overall. The songwriting is solid, with some really good, catchy melodies on a good chunk of the songs, especially during the album's front-half. Sadly, the back-half of "Matter" fails to keep up the momentum of the first 5 or so tracks and ends up making a front heavy album. That being said, the songs on the back-half are still well written and even enjoyable songs, but they just do not have the energy and endearing quality as some of the songs I mentioned earlier. The song "Help Me Run Away" is a solid, fun song that appears at the back half.

Overall, "Matter" is a enjoyable, 80's tinged synth-pop that will please anybody who is either a fan of the genre or who is looking a for a good, mainly fun album to listen to. I give it my rating of an 8.4/10

Favorite Tracks: Do You Remember, Home, and Winds of Change

Least Favorite: Game 4 U and Love Somebody