• 51 results
#1 Posted by CF12793 (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore recently did an interview with The Guardian, and shared his thoughts on current movie goers and fans of superhero comics.

"I haven't read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen. I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don't think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it's a rather alarming sign if we've got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s."

Respect his opinion and he makes a good point about the audience changing, but I think he's sounding a little mean spirited to some older fans. If he doesn't read comics on his own, what's the point of being insulting towards people who do? He doesn't know how they're written these days, and a lot of modern writers and comic fans look at Moore's work as a major influence in rebranding comics and making them for adults. I mean, surely when he wrote the Killing Joke it wasn't for 9 - 13 year old boys.

So are you with Alan Moore here, or do you think he's a dick because of this?

#2 Edited by danhimself (22217 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore is a douche...this isn't the first time he's said something that makes him sound like one either

#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (38142 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore hates anything that isn't written by Alan Moore.

#4 Posted by Black_Claw (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: And that just pretty much sums up my thoughts on this subject in general.

#5 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah something i realized was that a major part of his work wasn't meant for 9-13 year old kid.

#6 Edited by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by JetiiMitra (8082 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a dick just for saying this. I disagree with him, though. He talked about Avengers and didn't talk about The Dark Knight. He said he doesn't read comics anymore yet feels he has an authoritative grasp on how they're written currently. He himself was an instrument of change for the superhero genre, but doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that change. He never says why superheroes are so bad now. Moore says "they're abominations" and "don't mean what they used to mean," and that fans are "emotionally subnormal," but doesn't say why superheroes have changed into "abominations" or how fans are "emotionally subnormal." Besides that, everybody saw Avengers; clearly not everybody who enjoyed it were "subnormal." If all he's going to do is attack the genre as it is, without an actual reason, then in my opinion his opinion means nothing more than that of a stern unlikable grandfather saying "in my day..."

#8 Edited by CF12793 (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanralphio said:

@cf12793: Batman isn't a superhero.

it would depend on who you ask. I agree with you, but most of the mainstream audience writes Batman off as a superhero because he's in comic books and appears alongside heroes with superpowers often.

And Moore didn't just write Batman - he wrote Green Lantern, Superman and Captain Britian stories aswell, to name a few.

#9 Edited by batmannflash (6170 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.... I disagree with Alan Moore.

#10 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793: I was only referring to you referencing TKJ.

#11 Posted by CF12793 (2879 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793: I was only referring to you referencing TKJ.

I used it as an example because it's one of Moore's most recognizable works.

#12 Edited by Chibi_cute (4394 posts) - - Show Bio

hypocrite.

#13 Posted by DoctorThomasElliot (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Man. As much as I love his writing I'm starting to like him as a person less and less every time he gives his opinion. I know he was kinda screwed over by the companies but don't insult the fans that read their material and more importantly love the work that you yourself have written for those companies and their characters.

#14 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore is ridiculous

#15 Edited by patrat18 (8487 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan is a amazing guy. I value his opinion alot. Said no one ever.

#16 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19535 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore is a douche...this isn't the first time he's said something that makes him sound like one either

#17 Edited by War Killer (19867 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

"I haven't read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen..."

This very statement undermines everything else that he said.

#18 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17514 posts) - - Show Bio

What an idiotic thing to say. He is a fool.

#19 Edited by Shanana (52813 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, that's silly.

#20 Posted by ARMIV2 (8271 posts) - - Show Bio

So people who enjoyed the comics as kids cannot enjoy the movies as adults? Audiences of all kinds are not allowed to enjoy superheroes without being considered freaks?
Alan Moore has written some good stuff, but holey crap, what a blow-hard pompous elitist he's being here to make me want to deny any of his writings.

#21 Posted by RDClip (1112 posts) - - Show Bio

Its kinda sad what happened to Alan Moore. He was one of the most creative minds working on comics, but due to paranoia and anger issues, he's burned all bridges in the mainstream comic industry. This led him to swear off superheroes due to bitterness and stubborness to the point where he financially stifles himself by passing up paychecks on his previous work. Now, he's writing bad lovecraftian rape fiction for indie publishers (apparently he wrote Neonomicon for the money)

#22 Posted by RogueShadow (9814 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is he so stupid? Why? He's so pretentious... yet so stupid, it's annoying.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that he's not all that in terms of writing ability? Neil Gaiman wipes the floor with him.

#23 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

He's such a dumb-a$$. Trying to write off an entire medium just because he thinks "They should only entertain 9-13 year olds". Wake up you moron, comics haven't been for young children in a long time, and it's stupid to want to restrict them like that. I'm sorry if people who enjoy reading and watching comic movies personally offend you in some way.

#24 Posted by AmazingAngel (4020 posts) - - Show Bio

#25 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

He puts heavy stuff of putting something that is meant for children. This can put in to two things or possibly more.

I feel that he is afraid that comics have made people into manchildren and womanchildren. We kind have been overly rash and immature at times and fail to see the message. We kind of try to disguise something childish with the new added tones. Remember when when we called a toy an action figure in order to not be embarrassed by it. Watching Sports means we watch people skillfully play with toys. We kind of living in lie when we say it is not. We try to hide it to make more important but that what it is. I like candy but I don’t call it gourmet stimulate in fear of people thinking immature for eating it.

That being said calling everyone that seems like over generalizing. I am guessing that was at the moment of stress. He has been acting too cynacle. I feel that he failed at the problem with Rochech.

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17158 posts) - - Show Bio

so when he was writing watchmen and the killing joke...he was thinking of entertaining 9/13 year olds?

you F*cked up there Al'

#27 Edited by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#28 Posted by BR_Havoc (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Moore will always be one of the greats his comics like V for Vendetta, Miracle Man and his epic run on Swamp Thing really opened my eyes to see what comics could do. With that said Alan has now become so bitter at the way DC screwed him out of rights that he hates everything seems to be a tread that great authors grow to hate there work and the industry that let them release there ideas.

#29 Edited by SheenLantern (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

so when he was writing watchmen and the killing joke...he was thinking of entertaining 9/13 year olds?

you F*cked up there Al'

What are you talking about? Kids love rape and genocide.

#30 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9317 posts) - - Show Bio

Idiot

#31 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what happens when you take yourself too seriously and belive you are the most epic man that ever lived.

He makes Frank Miller and Grant Morrison look normal.

Wait, he had hair?

#32 Edited by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really concerned with Moore's opinion (mostly because it's silly), but I'm more perplexed by the fact that it's coming from Alan Moore. The guy who seemed to have a real appreciation of the concept of superheroes - who seemingly delighted in writing Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and who pushed for more mature storytelling in mainstream comics with stuff like Killing Joke or Swamp Thing.

I'm not even angry or pissed off, just a little confused. I guess feelings change over time. The DC Stories of Alan Moore trade is still fantastic though.

#33 Posted by The Stegman (22765 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww, Alan..no one cares what you think anymore. Have fun living in the past, wearing a Rorschach mask and wishing for a brighter tomorrow.

#34 Posted by deaditegonzo (3507 posts) - - Show Bio

He wrote two of the greatest Super Hero stories ever, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and For the Man Who Has Everything. Hearing him say this is just disheartening. I knew he was a kook, but this is just bad taste.

#35 Posted by The Stegman (22765 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

you F*cked up there Al'

What are you talking about? Kids love rape and genocide.

I know I did, most kids were watching Sesame Street, I was watching Schindler's List.

#37 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (20047 posts) - - Show Bio

He hates superheroes? Thinks they are abominations?

#38 Edited by LyraFay (2413 posts) - - Show Bio

What a weird statement coming from him. He altered the superhero genre for the better. However its curious that he only talked about The Avengers and not any other CBM.

#39 Posted by Alak (920 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone pointed out his hypocrisy in an interview? I mean, it's nice that we get to see how he feels nowadays, but I'm curious to see what his response would be after some more questions are asked. Moore's current opinion is the complete opposite of his work in the past...

#40 Posted by KingOfAsh (3499 posts) - - Show Bio

#41 Posted by danhimself (22217 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that what Bendis had to say was pretty good

Alan Moore recently said "I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean". What is your opinion on what he said?

As always I feel bad for him.

to be fair the entire quote was: “Now, see, I haven’t read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen. I hate superheroes. I think they’re abominations. They don’t mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it’s nothing to do with them. It’s an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don’t think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it’s a rather alarming sign if we’ve got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s.”

as I have said before, he is more than entitled to his opinion but it is my opinion that you have to read something before you get to have an opinion on it. how does he know the books are terrible if he hasn’t seen one since 1985? which I don’t believe, by the way.

it is my opinion that his history of unfulfilling financial deals he has made for himself has brittled him.

I know he thinks he sounds cool but to me he sounds like an old crabby man and it’s all the more upsetting because he is clearly capable of higher thought. his work is the work of a man working on a higher level so it’s sad that he has closed his mind to the possibility that other people can write well and women and children love all kinds of literature.

I get mail from children every day who love these characters and love these comics and I think we as a society have put the women who love comics question to bed at the last women of Marvel panel in New York City.

and I thought the Nemo graphic novel was one of the best things I’ve read all year. thankfully I’m able to separate the writer from the work as long as the writer isn’t abusing others. I don’t need my authors to have the same opinion of things as myself to enjoy their work.

but it would be great if he wasn’t so self-congratulatory and demeaning towards other authors.

I’ve also had just about enough of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore trying to be the biggie and tupak of the British Isles/ Scotland. I find it all douche chilly.

#42 Posted by Grey56 (725 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that what Bendis had to say was pretty good

Alan Moore recently said "I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean". What is your opinion on what he said?

As always I feel bad for him.

to be fair the entire quote was: “Now, see, I haven’t read any superhero comics since I finished with Watchmen. I hate superheroes. I think they’re abominations. They don’t mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it’s nothing to do with them. It’s an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don’t think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it’s a rather alarming sign if we’ve got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s.”

as I have said before, he is more than entitled to his opinion but it is my opinion that you have to read something before you get to have an opinion on it. how does he know the books are terrible if he hasn’t seen one since 1985? which I don’t believe, by the way.

it is my opinion that his history of unfulfilling financial deals he has made for himself has brittled him.

I know he thinks he sounds cool but to me he sounds like an old crabby man and it’s all the more upsetting because he is clearly capable of higher thought. his work is the work of a man working on a higher level so it’s sad that he has closed his mind to the possibility that other people can write well and women and children love all kinds of literature.

I get mail from children every day who love these characters and love these comics and I think we as a society have put the women who love comics question to bed at the last women of Marvel panel in New York City.

and I thought the Nemo graphic novel was one of the best things I’ve read all year. thankfully I’m able to separate the writer from the work as long as the writer isn’t abusing others. I don’t need my authors to have the same opinion of things as myself to enjoy their work.

but it would be great if he wasn’t so self-congratulatory and demeaning towards other authors.

I’ve also had just about enough of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore trying to be the biggie and tupak of the British Isles/ Scotland. I find it all douche chilly.

Dan sir, we may disagree on occasion - but this is why I follow you. Separately, I have once again been redeemed in my hopes for humanity in finding out that I am not alone in my ideas about Moore. I literally agree with every single post in this thread.

Even @br_havoc brings up good points. Though I will say that Moore isn't the first creator to have some lost faith over their creations being taken over by the publishing company. See Frank Miller and Elektra, Ditko and Spiderman etc....It is unfortunate how the business as a whole was run at that point and there's no getting away from that.

That said; the industry as a whole has continued to put bread on Moore's table for nearly 3 decades now. Kicking the gift horse in the mouth is putting it lightly.

#43 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore is one of the most bitter, pretentious, hypocritical human beings to ever voice his ridiculous opinions. I love the man's work, but I try to avoid anything concerning the man himself, because its often incredibly disenchanting.

Alan Moore hates anything that isn't written by Alan Moore.

^^Sums up everything right here.

#44 Posted by Wolverine08 (38142 posts) - - Show Bio

@imagineman16: That just is really how Moore rolls nowadays. If his name isn't on a comic book, you better bet that it is going to get his evil eye.

#45 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5945 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do all good writers have to go completely f*cking crazy?

#46 Edited by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, that's stupid.

#49 Posted by TerryBogard2014 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

quote the Alan, forever scorn.......

#50 Posted by gor724 (822 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hate this guy if he wasn't such a damn good writer