Al Bundy (Married...with Children) vs Dan Conner (Roseanne)

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Al Bundy is the iconic bad father from the 1980s - 1990s on the hit show Married...with Children. Dan Conner is the iconic good father from the 1980s - 1990s on the hit show Roseanne. Both played fathers of dysfunctional families, both played high school football, both had neighbors that didn't like them, both lived in below average houses, both struggled with work (Al Bundy was a women's shoe salesman and Dan Conner switched back and forth between drywalling, running a bike shop that went out of business, working for the city as a mechanic, and doing other odd jobs for a little bit of cash), and both are also bigger than average guys who also had a penchant for barroom brawls.

So four questions:

1) Which is the more iconic sitcom father from the 1980s - 1990s?

2) Which was on the better show?

3) Who'd win in a fight?

4) Who had the worse life between the two?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HBKTimHBK
  1. Dan Conner, cuz I liked the show
  2. Roseanne, I never watched much of Married..with Children
  3. Dan Conner, EASY
  4. Al Bundy wins
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

Al Bundy wins all those scenarios by a considerable margin.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

1. Dan

2. Married with Children, loved that show. Hilarious. Plus it's theme song is Frank Sinatra, can't beat that.

3. Dan,easioly.

4. Al Bundy. His life sucks. Lol.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

• Dan Conner, because a) he was a family man, and b) he was the only redeeming quality of the show

• Al Bundy. Dan could have won this category if he didn't cheat on his wife... Not that I blame him for doing so, but if Al can stay with Peg for that long and not cheat, Dan should be ashamed of himself.

3) Who'd win in a fight?

• Dan would destroy Al... Like, Al has no chance, lol.

• Al Bundy. As a fellow employee of a shoe store, I can relate to how awful his life is. Being married to Rosanne would be hell, no doubt, but Al's life is just awful all around, lol.

This thread... I like it! Another!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

1. Dan

2. Married with Children, loved that show. Hilarious. Plus it's theme song is Frank Sinatra, can't beat that.

3. Dan,easioly.

4. Al Bundy. His life sucks. Lol.

@Gambit1024 said:

• Dan Conner, because a) he was a family man, and b) he was the only redeeming quality of the show

• Al Bundy. Dan could have won this category if he didn't cheat on his wife... Not that I blame him for doing so, but if Al can stay with Peg for that long and not cheat, Dan should be ashamed of himself.

3) Who'd win in a fight?

• Dan would destroy Al... Like, Al has no chance, lol.

• Al Bundy. As a fellow employee of a shoe store, I can relate to how awful his life is. Being married to Rosanne would be hell, no doubt, but Al's life is just awful all around, lol.

This thread... I like it! Another!

I know its stupid....and who really cares...but how does Dan beat Al in a fight

Al had superhuman durability, he use to get in those nudey bar brawls and just fights in general all the time and he knocked a crook out with one punch...the dude was pretty large
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Never liked Married... with Children. Rosanne was funny, and Dan was hilarious. In a fight, Dan stomps.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cattlebattle
@JediXMan said:

. In a fight, Dan stomps.

What??

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: I'm not up to date with onscreen feats, but Dan's huge compared to Al, who's more out of shape (based on his daily routine). In a one-on-one fight, Dan beats Al, but if it's the Bundy's vs. the Conner's, the Bundy's curb stomp.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I've watched every episode of all 11 seasons of Married...with Children. Al Bundy barely lost a fight if any.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle: I'm not up to date with onscreen feats, but Dan's huge compared to Al, who's more out of shape (based on his daily routine). In a one-on-one fight, Dan beats Al, but if it's the Bundy's vs. the Conner's, the Bundy's curb stomp.

The actors that played both characters were around the same height...Dan was fat...so fat, he had a heart condition as one of the story lines...Al Bundy was electrocuted, fallen off roofs, came close to death so many times, it may as well been considered that he had toonforce

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Hmmm.. I have't watched any episodes in a looooong time so my memory is a tad rusty.. Plus I haven't really seen any episodes that Al fights in. Suppose I take that one back.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheAnnihilator

I love this.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: Like I said, my answer's based purely on looks and daily routine. It' been a while since I've watched either show...

But if we're talking the daddy of all sitcom/tv show daddies, Hank Hill beats every single one of them.

@TheAnnihilator said:

I love this.

Seconded!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle: Like I said, my answer's based purely on looks and daily routine. It' been a while since I've watched either show...

What was Dans daily routine?? Its not like he engaged in rigorous training or anything.
TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Gambit1024: Except it's making me remember how sad the ending of Roxanne was...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle: Being a mechanic is more strenuous work than being a shoe person. Besides, Dan actually liked to get down with his wife, so all that heavy lifting's gotta count for something.

@TheAnnihilator: I never really liked that show to be honest. I watched it only for John Goodman... and his death was painful :/

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

Al Bundy sweeps.

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle: Being a mechanic is more strenuous work than being a shoe person. Besides, Dan actually liked to get down with his wife, so all that heavy lifting's gotta count for something.

@TheAnnihilator: I never really liked that show to be honest. I watched it only for John Goodman... and his death was painful :/

Yeah that revelation at the end hit me like a ton of bricks.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@Living_Monstrosity said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't really remember it all that well. Was his character redeemed?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:

Al had to pry shoes onto fat womens feet for most of the day, and he always got into some comical situation that commanded some crazy physical strain, whether he got stabbed or shot, or he had wrestle a professional wrestler

I think your not remembering "Married"....that vividly, Dan from Roseanne was supposed to be realistic, Al Bundy might as well have been Homer Simpson, something would always happen to him that would kill a normal man, he was like a cartoon character essentially
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Al had to pry shoes onto fat womens feet for most of the day, and he always got into some comical situation that commanded some crazy physical strain, whether he got stabbed or shot, or he had wrestle a professional wrestler I think your not remembering "Married"....that vividly, Dan from Roseanne was supposed to be realistic, Al Bundy might as well have been Homer Simpson, something would always happen to him that would kill a normal man, he was like a cartoon character essentially

I told you, it's been a while.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, Bundy was walking, live action, toon force, Dan was a realistic fat man....Its a dumb argument and all I just couldn't believe that people would say that considering Al notoriously fought someone almost every episode
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, Bundy was walking, live action, toon force, Dan was a realistic fat man....Its a dumb argument and all I just couldn't believe that people would say that considering Al notoriously fought someone almost every episode

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you showed someone a picture of Al and then a picture of Dan, they're gonna side with Dan. Look at those forearms. Al may be the same height, but it's hard to tell when he's sitting there with his hand down his pants.

Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Basically Roseanne revealed that every episode after Dan received his heart attack at Darlene's wedding was fictional and made up in her writing. Then she explains the angle about him cheating on her was made up because she felt like him dying was him betraying her in a way by leaving her alone in the world, or something like that. She also reveals that her sister Jackie was a lesbian, Darlene was with Mark and not David, and that Becky was really with David and not Mark. It made a lot of things from prior seasons not make sense at all, but at least we know Dan wasn't really a cheater and died a good guy.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Basically Roseanne revealed that every episode after Dan received his heart attack at Darlene's wedding was fictional and made up in her writing. Then she explains the angle about him cheating on her was made up because she felt like him dying was him betraying her in a way by leaving her alone in the world, or something like that. She also reveals that her sister Jackie was a lesbian, Darlene was with Mark and not David, and that Becky was really with David and not Mark. It made a lot of things from prior seasons not make sense at all, but at least we know Dan wasn't really a cheater and died a good guy.

Oh yeah, that's right. Rosanne did Inception before Inception did Inception, lol. Wow, that is a pretty sucky ending.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Oh yeah, that's right. Rosanne did Inception before Inception did Inception, lol. Wow, that is a pretty sucky ending.

Yeah, I was pretty young when I saw that (Nick at Nite reruns) and I was just confused.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gambit1024

@TheAnnihilator said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, I was pretty young when I saw that (Nick at Nite reruns) and I was just confused.

Same

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Especially the episode Wabbit Season of season 5. When Al hunts a rabbit outside in his new vegetable garden. He survives Dynamite. His foot survives a shotgun shell and a flamethrower.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ssejllenrad

Dat shirt... Wow!

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By umbrafeline

al

married... with children 

3) Who'd win in a fight?

al 

al 

al bundy is portrayed by the pride of youngstown, oh ed oneill

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@PowerHerc said:

Al Bundy sweeps.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Enemybird

@cattlebattle said:

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Supreme Marvel

PSYCHO DAD!

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By umbrafeline

the president and founder of 'no maam'--national organization of men against amazonian masterhood
krilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By krilling

Big Al curpstomps in all rounds.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ms__omega

Al would murderstomp Dan in all rounds. Plus Al seems to have a bit of toonforce on his side.

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Romulus9000

The_Replicator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al Bundy stomps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sineyaprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sineyaprime

1. Dan is more iconic, Roseanne is much more well-known than MWC.

2. Eh, hard to say MWC first couple of seasons weren't that good, but neither were the last two of Roseanne. I'll go with Roseanne.

3. Mm, Dan's considerable size advantage vs Al's crazy durability and sometimes notable fighting ability. I'll go with Al.

4. Al had a worse life, that's pretty much the point of the show.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Al Bundy stomps all rounds. That man is a legend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al takes all except the fight. Dan will fold Al in half like a lawn chair!

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JohnnyZ256

Touchdowns.