Aiming to rank Mortal Kombat characters in fighting skill---help!

• 65 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Over on the Ledger we're assigning ranks in fighting skill (1-7).  7 being the highest (the likes of Mr.X, Wayne, etc) and 1 being the lowest.  We then have each tier broken into low, medium, and high. (Gambit being a low 5, where-as Kraven is a high 5)  I introduced the idea that we should rank Mortal Kombat fighters too, but I'm having trouble justifying WHY they rank in certain places, since their feats are essentially restricted to their own world...and therefore, difficult to compare with Marvel/DC/Top Cow/etc characters.

So, how would you guys rank the Mortal Kombat characters in this rating system and why?  Also, has anyone played MK VS DC or read the comic?  I need ANY feats you can find to help determine the ranks!  Thanks.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By castleking

arent each company restricted by their own world MA feats?  O_o

aside from that  they move slow and clunky almost as if someone else was controlling them, reaction wise i wouldnt even say they were olympic but average human speed.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The point is to set each level at a certain degree of skill/display, then place each accordingly.  I'm a fan of the games so I know how they are in game, but there's still plenty of CANON material including them (comics, who beats who via plot, etc).  And that's what I'm looking to get more opinions on.

For example, I want to know how the plot of MK VS DC goes (who beats who from the DC Univ in the canon material), and how things play out in the few canon comics.  I've read a good amount, but there's still a lot I haven't.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By castleking

gauge by how fast they react to bullets, knives and by what bio's state their knowledge of MA being..
a fighter can know only one skillset of MA like TKD and beat a guy who knows lvl 7 and majority of the world MA.

so the guy can be lvl 3 fighter 4 or whatever the bio stated one has to be to master one art form..  

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@castleking said:
gauge by how fast they react to bullets, knives and by what bio's state their knowledge of MA being.. a fighter can know only one skillset of MA like TKD and beat a guy who knows lvl 7 and majority of the world MA.so the guy can be lvl 3 fighter 4 or whatever the bio stated one has to be to master one art form..  

A big issue is the comics don't even have displays like that.  At the most,  I've seen people dodge/block projectile attacks (freeze/water blasts, Scorpion's spear), but there's no way to determine truly how fast those are.

@Andy Steven Summers
Non-canon as in not technically part of the Mortal Kombat Universe.  But still, it took the character's same skill levels and had them throwing down with some DC characters.  As of right now that's the best and only way to compare how MK fighters stack up in terms of skill alone.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Matezoide2
@k4tzm4n:
hey,you have a point there,though there was some PIS

i will come back with who beats who soon
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Matezoide
Thanks. Obviously stuff like vs Superman/Flash and whatever isn't a valid example, but I was hoping there were some good street level fights, like w/ Wayne, Catwoman, Slade, etc.

Did you also read the comic?

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Matezoide2
@k4tzm4n:
no,i didnt and i cant find it to download

fights with the good fighters in DC Universe -
Jax takes down Wonder Woman
an amped up Joker defeats Sonya and ,later, Kano (he also beat Deathstroke,thanks to the upgrade)
Sub-Zero lost to Wonder-Woman after freezing Superman,Took down Batman once (and lost the second fight),he also beats Deathstroke and froze Catwoman
Scorpion beated the hell out of Joker,lost to Batman (while the ninja was off his ``A-Game``),took down Wonder-Woman
Kang lost to Batman
and that`s all i have,i may have missed some fights though
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Thanks.  Jax beating Wonder Woman sounds absolutely ridiculous.  I'll have to youtube and see if there are vids of this.  I'm especially interested in seeing Scorpion VS Batman.
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Matezoide2
@Andy Steven Summers:
actualy,theres a plot-device that made the likes of Superman weaker and the street-levels stronger,hence why the fights werent one-sided

@k4tzm4n
no problem
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"I don't think that even the story aspect of that game should be used to judge/compare them to the DC universe characters.
Personally none of them should be anywhere near Batman's level. At least if you go by what we have seen him do throughout the years, on panel.
Their 'top' fighters I would rank at maybe a 6, if that."

I don't expect any earthrealm combatants to be a 7.  But when it comes to characters who have existed for far longer and do nothing but train, I would be surprised it one could earn a high 6 or maybe even low 7.

"I was thinking of something similar to this. But instead of a scale of 1-7 it be 1-10 to give a little more diversity between the numbers. The low end and high end set up pretty much does the same though."

Well, go ahead and make it. ;)

"The quality of things are already put in jeopardy when you have anyone from MK going against people like Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman. If your not going to take those into account"

Because examples against them are just downright stupid.  Jax should no means be able to hurt  Wonder Woman, or Sub Zero be able to freeze Superman in combat.  I'm going by skill showings against skilled combatants, not blatant downplaying against powerhouses.

I'm not going by gameplay where anyone can hurt anyone, only comparable feats of skill that the game (hopefully) displays through cut scenes and more.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"I'm not saying go off of game-play. That would be the worst way to go about it."
Good, because that would be ridiculous.  LOL

"But even using the cut-scenes from this game (DC vs MK) are tampered."

I figured, but I'd like to view them and judge for myself before makin that decision.  As of right now, it's the only comparison available when it comes to Mortal Kombat.

"You're better off just using the normal MK games and ranking them accordingly"

I have attempted to, but that isn't enough for many others.  For example, I think Stryker is deserving of a high 4, where-as Goro is a high 6/low 7 at best.  Going undefeated for 500 years has to count for something, haha.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Caligula

I think the best way is to set the high bar with Onaga or Blaze at high 7. and work down in characters relative to their abilities against these two.

Avatar image for prince_cortsether
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Take this Goro :P

No Caption Provided
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Prince CortSether
Stronger and more agile does not equal more skilled.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I was much better at this game when I was drunk if that helps.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Caligula
High Sevens:
Onaga
Blaze

the Elder Gods

Low Sevens:
Shao Kahn
Raiden
Liu Kang
Shujinko

Shinnok
Shang-Tsung
Daegon
Taven

High Six:
Goro
Kintaro
Motaro
Molock
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Noob
Smoke
Ermac
Reptile
Kung Lao
Sindel
Sheeva
Quan Chi
Rain
Fujin
Nightwolf

Low Six:
Stryker
Cyber Sub-zero
Cyrax
Sektor
Jade
Kitana
Mileena
Kenshi

Meat
Bo Rai Cho
Ashra

High Five:
Baraka
Kano
Jarek
Cabal
Tanya

Sonya
Jax
Frost
the average Lin Kuei

Low Five:
Havik
Khameleon
Hotaru
Hsu-Hao

High Four:
the average Tarkatan
Kobra
Nitara
Dairou

Low Four:
Johnny Cage
Kia
Jataaka

High Three:
Sareena
Kai
Reiko

Low Three:
Drahmin
Mavado
Li Mei

High Two:
Darrius
Kira

Low Two:
Mokap

my list. how i'd rank them. (in their own universe)

EDIT: Cage fanboys can cry all they want, doesn't change the fact, he is a low tier fighter in comparison to the others.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Interesting.  Why would you place Cage so low and Stryker so high?  If I were to ask for reasons for these, would you be cool with elaborating?
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Caligula
@k4tzm4n said:
Interesting.  Why would you place Cage so low and Stryker so high?  If I were to ask for reasons for these, would you be cool with elaborating?
sure. I have no problem.

Stryker: is where he is because, he has swat training. and has to fight people way more often then Johnny.

Johnny: is a Stuntman, and while he may have some real skill, before the tournaments he had relatively little actual combat experience. whereas Stryker, was fighting against people who were actually trying to kill him long before the tournament.
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By castleking

this is why i dont believe in cross genre aside from that if they dont have the feats to compete with other comic universes as much as it hurts fans you need to accept that they are not on their level on average even if that means someone like DD can pound on the toughest Mofo of your game  >_>

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MKF30
MKDC wasn't canon but if you want to use that for fun for this, that's fine I guess...

@Caligula said:

While the others are debatable, just want to say the Elder Gods are above Onaga and Blaze, they assigned Delia and Argus to create Blaze to keep things in check and as for Onaga, they had defeated the One Being(far more powerful then Onaga) years ago then made the realms from it's consciousness and body.

Cage while an actor CAN really fight, that's why he's in the MK tournament to convince people he's not a fake...

Stryker isn't that high IMO, he's a cop that can fight but let's face it, most MK characters would kill him with ease. You saw what Ermac did to him(yet could have easily killed him if he wanted but didn't) Just look at what he did to Jax when he got pissed lol...

I think this is really hard to break down because there's two categories here, there's power wise tiers and fighting skills wise.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Caligula
@MKF30 said:
MKDC wasn't canon but if you want to use that for fun for this, that's fine I guess...

@Caligula said:

While the others are debatable, just want to say the Elder Gods are above Onaga and Blaze, they assigned Delia and Argus to create Blaze to keep things in check and as for Onaga, they had defeated the One Being(far more powerful then Onaga) years ago then made the realms from it's consciousness and body.

Cage while an actor CAN really fight, that's why he's in the MK tournament to convince people he's not a fake...

Stryker isn't that high IMO, he's a cop that can fight but let's face it, most MK characters would kill him with ease. You saw what Ermac did to him(yet could have easily killed him if he wanted but didn't) Just look at what he did to Jax when he got pissed lol...

I think this is really hard to break down because there's two categories here, there's power wise tiers and fighting skills wise.

MKDC was actually Canon, Ed Boon said so. The only thing is that it's questionable where it fits in the time line.
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

Yea Cage should definitely be higher on that list

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MKF30
--Anubis--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By --Anubis--

Reiko should be higher. Quan Chi should be above Tsung. Cage should definitely be higher on the list, he is a descendant of some warrior cult and beat baraka and reptile.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nick_hero22

This is going to be near impossible to do because only the current MK game is canon and their is alot of PIS and inconsistences in the storyline.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nick_hero22

Top Tier Characters would probably consist of Raiden, Shao Kahn, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Ermac, Sindel, Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, & Nightwolf
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@Prince CortSether: Stronger and more agile does not equal more skilled.
True, but in Kintaro's case I firmly believe he's the deadlier opponent. Goro was merely Shang Tsung's lackey originally but Kintaro was selected by Shao Kahn himself to be his very own personal bodyguard. The only thing Goro has over Kintaro is his bloodline, which is considered to be part of the elite class of Shokan whereas Kintaro comes from the tigrar-lineage of Shokan known for its savagery.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Pretty sure Johnny Cage is on top here.

Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MKF30 said:

But Stryker also has the credit of defeating Kintaro to his name.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Caligula
@MKF30 said:

Cage is comedic relief always has been always will be.

For a guy with MK in his name, you have a very poor knowledge MK canon.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nick_hero22
@texasdeathmatch
Johnny Cage isnt a top tie, he mostly likely a mid tier in the MK Universe.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nick_hero22
@MKF30 said:

@Caligula said:

You are absolutely right! Ermac should be able to take out majority of the MK roster with his powers and skills, him losing to Stryker was PIS. Ermac is a top tier in the MK Universe. Alot things that happen in the current storyline were PIS and plain stupid.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Caligula
@nick_hero22 said:
@MKF30 said:

@Caligula said:

You are absolutely right! Ermac should be able to take out majority of the MK roster with his powers and skills, him losing to Stryker was PIS. Ermac is a top tier in the MK Universe. Alot things that happen in the current storyline were PIS and plain stupid.
So you know more about him than the creators... okay.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nick_hero22
@Caligula
Ermac has telekinesis their is no logical way for a character like Stryker a guy with no powers to beat him.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Caligula
@nick_hero22 said:
@Caligula: Ermac has telekinesis their is no logical way for a character like Stryker a guy with no powers to beat him.
yeah cause you made the characters. sorry but, the games say otherwise.
nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nick_hero22
@Caligula
Because the game says otherwise doesn't make it right or logical. Do you care to explain how Stryker is capable of defeating higher tier characters like Ermac?
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Just fyi, we're attempting to rank based on h2h knowledge/displays alone.  Powers---such as Ermac's TP---aren't really factored into that ;)
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Goro > Kintaro

Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
Goro > Kintaro
No.
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
@Prince CortSether said:
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
Goro > Kintaro
No.
Great Kung Lao defeated Shang Tsung. Holds title for 50 years, Goro defeats him. Kintaro couldn't do this.
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Prince CortSether said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
Goro > Kintaro
No.
Great Kung Lao defeated Shang Tsung. Holds title for 50 years, Goro defeats him. Kintaro couldn't do this.
Uh, says who? Kintaro wasn't fighting in the tournaments. He was bodyguard to the royalty of Outworld. As far as storyline goes (and what Ed Boon has personally said) Kintaro is the bigger, badder version of Goro.
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
@Prince CortSether said:
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Prince CortSether said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
Goro > Kintaro
No.
Uh, says who? Kintaro wasn't fighting in the tournaments. He was bodyguard to the royalty of Outworld. As far as storyline goes (and what Ed Boon has personally said) Kintaro is the bigger, badder version of Goro.
Didn't Goro defeat Kintaro in the MK comics?
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
@Prince CortSether said:
@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Prince CortSether said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
Goro > Kintaro
No.
Didn't Goro defeat Kintaro in the MK comics?
Only in the non-canon Malibu comics. The only canon ones are the ones written by John Tobias and in the MK2 comic he wrote (the only canon comic with Kintaro) Goro and Kintaro never fight each other.

You can tell the difference between the art styles of Tobias' comics and Malibu's MK comics.

Tobias' Version:

No Caption Provided

Malibu's version:

No Caption Provided
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I still don't understand why everyone translates being "stronger and more agile" instantly into being more skilled.  I recall an interview where they joked that they like Goro more and Kintaro was basically just a knock-off/modifcation of him.
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
@Prince CortSether:

Man. Kintaros original look was alot cooler than how he looks now. He looks ridiculous.
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Prince CortSether:Man. Kintaros original look was alot cooler than how he looks now. He looks ridiculous.

Yea, I think his new look is abysmal. Kintaro is by far the worst redesign in Mortal Kombat 9, I mean his Babality is practically the developers making fun of what they did to Kintaro and admitting that they turned him into a gigantic tabby cat on purpose. He was so much more badass in MK:2 and MK Shaolin Monks.

0:45 in. BAMF!!

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
@Prince CortSether said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Prince CortSether:Man. Kintaros original look was alot cooler than how he looks now. He looks ridiculous.

Yea, I think his new look is abysmal. Kintaro is by far the worst redesign in Mortal Kombat 9, I mean his Babality is practically the developers making fun of what they did to Kintaro and admitting that they turned him into a gigantic tabby cat on purpose. He was so much more badass in MK:2 and MK Shaolin Monks.

0:45 in. BAMF!!

IDK. Reptile has been raped many times in redesignings.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Caligula
@nick_hero22 said:
@Caligula: Because the game says otherwise doesn't make it right or logical. Do you care to explain how Stryker is capable of defeating higher tier characters like Ermac
Same way underdogs win in real life. and Stryker isn't that much lower tier.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Caligula
@k4tzm4n said:
I still don't understand why everyone translates being "stronger and more agile" instantly into being more skilled.  I recall an interview where they joked that they like Goro more and Kintaro was basically just a knock-off/modifcation of him.
this is also the issue I have with Johnny, yes he is agile and strong, but he was pretty much untested before the MK tournament, He joined because everyone was calling him a fake. But Stryker has been fighting for his life long before he was part of the MK tournament. He has far far far far more experience than cage.