• 166 results
jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

A wise (black) man once said, Afrocentrism is therapeutic mythology. That is an argument that can not be deconstructed.

Face it, we as blacks have 3 options concerning slavery. Pick your poison

1. Racist whites were right and blacks of Africa were too damn dumb to keep white people out because while everyone else in the world was innovating, they were too caught up in chucking spears.

2. African civilizations were a great people, but sold other Africans into slavery so as to line their own pocket books and obtain the proverbial 40 ounce malt liquor, bucket of Popeye's, bootleg DVD, and pack of Menthols of that day. Black kings and queens? Those were the bastards and hos that sold our asses in thr first damn place, let alone the Muslims that many of these Africentrists now run to. This is much like how today's Race Baiters and Pulpit Pimps sell out their own to racist policies, and yet the only people who are called Uncle Tom's are the ones who call those folks out. These would be your Jesse Jacksons, Al Sharptons, Louis Farrakhans, Urban Leagues, New Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, Black Pastors and Imams, not the to mention the "guilty" bleeding heart white liberals.

3. Africans were a great people with vast advancements, yet and still they were duped and beaten by foreign invaders on their own turf. Now if that be the case, I don't wanna claim the dumbasses as my ancestors. This is the road many Afrocentrists take, in which they can claim some great African heritage whilst still playing the victimhood card.

Afrocentrists also change their names to African names or even make up names that might SEEM African. These would be you Durantes, your Laqueishas, and your Kilandres. Some are named by their parents after relatives, yet and still that isn't enough, and they've gotta have a Kenyan moniker. This is all in an immature overcompensating attempt to seem more "black".

They will also rock different hairstyles such as dreads or other fashions to achieve said blackness.

Should I even comment on their supposed rejection of the "white" western world, while still clamoring for reparations, like some puppy for some Kibbles and Bits? Or all of their posturing and politicking about black unity and "get whitey", and yet they have biracial children by blonde headed, blue eyed white women?

Or the "Christianity is worshipping the white man's God", whilst running to the aforementioned Islam?

I just.....do not know.....

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I NEVER understood how an african american could follow the Bible. The Bible was given to them by people who sold them, beat them, raped them etc. I wouldn't believe ANYTHING they told me.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These threads are always entertaining.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, debate me, if you must.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: what in the hell do the words of the Bible have anything to do with slavery?

The bastards who gave em bibles don't change the message within.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jointron33: This interesting. I'm going o have to get back to you on this one.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the term African American is as offensive as the "n" word. I ain't lost a DAMN thing in Africa.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

I NEVER understood how an african american could follow the Bible. The Bible was given to them by people who sold them, beat them, raped them etc. I wouldn't believe ANYTHING they told me.

@pooty: what in the hell do the words of the Bible have anything to do with slavery?

What I think @pooty meant was he couldn't understand how Africans accepted a religion that was given to them by white people Who committed horrible acts regardless of the source of the material

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christianity is not an African religion, much like other parts of African heritage that were stripped from slaves, their inherent cultural religions, beliefs and pantheons were also replaced by that which was given to them by the slaveholders which were mostly white and mostly Christian. Thereby the argument would follow, if African religions were good enough for African Americans ancestors why would they still stick with Christianity when that is inherently a "non-African" religion.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the term African American is as offensive as the "n" word. I ain't lost a DAMN thing in Africa.

I don't understand this

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By w0nd

because if a white man who beat me and talked down to me handed me this book...why would i believe anything inside it. Does that make more sense now?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

African American is offense because = " I aint lost a Damn thing in African"

How does that make sense

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Satan himself could tell me that the capital of Tennessee is Nashville. Even though he's known to be a liar, it's still true.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

I disagree. Not debating this. Too sensitive a topic.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By w0nd

@jointron33 said:

@w0nd: Satan himself could tell me that the capital of Tennessee is Nashville. Even though he's known to be a liar, it's still true.

yeah but keep in mind these people (African's) are not christian, they don't believe in our god. So then these white men come to Africa, enslave them, change their names and make them read the bible. Why would I have any reason to believe anything in that book to be true? No one really proved it, and this book about a god of goodness and purity while im getting my ass kicked for not picking cotton sounds ridiculous to me.

You are making arguments about being African, but then you are contradicting this as if Africans originally believed in the christian god.

Satan could tell you something that is true that is proven....but the majority of the stuff in the bible is about FAITH, FAITH is not fact.... so once again if im FORCED to read about goodness purity the holy kingdom and faith while im getting beat by this person then it seems like they are basically trying to brainwash me.

you have to think of it this way...some one kidnaps you now, beats you up, chains you to the bed and forces you to read fan fiction and tells you it's true, would you just be like "OH THIS MUST BE REAL" or would you just think they were insane and torturing you more?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HolySerpent

Your speaking nonsense now

I disagree. Not debating this. Too sensitive a topic.

If your scared to post because a topic is to "sensitive" Then why post in first place.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you'd believe him, even though you know he's a lier?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jointron33

@holyserpent: he realizes that he will simply agree to disagree that's wht

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately geography is not based on faith like religion, while there is proof that Nashville is the capital of Tennessee, there is no proof Christianity is the one true religion, as such it still doesn't make sense why African Americans would give up faith in their religions and switch to the "white mans" religion of Christianity.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: I wasn't even talking about slaves accepting Christianity in the post

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: not just Africans many non whites have converted to the invaders reliegion. Native Americans, Tribes the live in New Guinea, ect.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: that's not the reason. He already told us reason: the topic is to sensitive.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: I wasn't even talking about slaves accepting Christianity in the post

"Or the "Christianity is worshipping the white man's God", whilst running to the aforementioned Islam?"

You mentioned the word Christianity someone else mentioned bible.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that is SO offensive. I'M NIGERIAN. I'M AFRICAN. Could you be a little more sensitive? Afrocentrism is the study of African culture, traditions and history NOT Black Supremacy. And I do plait my hair into more "African" hairdos. Know why? BECAUSE I AM. This is almost flag worthy. Why must you bring such sensitive topics to a comic book website? How is it in any way relevant to what this site is about?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of my transition from Christianity to Deism came from the idea that the Same God that the Negro would pray to while the White Man was getting ready to Hang Him or Whip Him as a Slave was the Same God that the White Man would pray to while he was getting the Whip or Noose ready for the Negro... it's essentially counter productive to follow a God who essentially gives the White Man power to enslave you yet gives the Negro very little hope in a way of essentially rising to a point of equality. I mean when the Slave Owners would feed the Negro Christianity... they did it with the intent of Control and no other reason. It was not for Salvation or Hope... because even after the White Man would force feed Christianity to the Negro... did that stop Whites from Lynching or Whipping or Killing Blacks ? Nope... Hell, they even used The Bible to justify their utilization of Slavery... and we won't touch on the Ku Klux Klan.

Done Ranting

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

dude you really need to stop making threads

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Touchy subject. I'll say my piece and how I live my life. My grandmother taught us that "if you spend 6 months in your old business and 6 months in your new business then you won't have time for anybody elses" my reason

For posting that quote is to say that I'm far too busy with my own life to concern myself with anything anybody NOT in my life has to say. Charity starts at home and if I don't have myself together I can't help anybody else. And I want to help people. Not black people or white people or Asian people. I want to help PEOPLE. I believe in God and regardless of how my knowledge of him came to be through the course of history I feel him in my heart. So because of my beliefs and my faith I don't see a barrier between me and another person because of skin color. In other words Becca is just A's much human and just as much important to me as the children in Africa. From

My experience in listening to some of the people listed in the OP I find them to be very hammyrabian in ethics. That's not for me so I don't listen anymore. I may be a bit allover the place but I'll finish by saying this:

The challenge of life is to learn to live fully and joyfully. In order to do this I have to know who I am. And for me I am a person who appreciates and learns from history; but looks toward the future being a better day. My grandfather uses to do thi thing where when people asked "how are you?" he'd say "better than yesterday and worse than tomorrow". That's something we should all stride for....bye now

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that is SO offensive. I'M NIGERIAN. I'M AFRICAN. Could you be a little more sensitive? Afrocentrism is the study of African culture, traditions and history NOT Black Supremacy. And I do plait my hair into more "African" hairdos. Know why? BECAUSE I AM. This is almost flag worthy. Why must you bring such sensitive topics to a comic book website? How is it in any way relevant to what this site is about?

it's technically in the off topic section so it's valid

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: look, I didn't mean to offend anyone, nor am I knocking Africans. Sorry.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jointron33
HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: it is kind insensitive they way he puts. And out dismissive on the concept of afrocentrism.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Fine then. Granted, it's off-topic. It doesn't mean he couldn't be a little less judgmental of people who didn't have the fortune of being ENSLAVED by invaders (that was sarcasm) or of those who simply want to discover a culture that they are not familiar with.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

Christianity has existed in Africa since the 1st century, far before the mass enslavement of African people.

If you're speaking about the prominence of Christianity in African American population, then you have to make a distinction between what kind of Christianity is being worshiped.

Though religion in itself has no gender/race, there are certain sects of Christianity which are dominant among certain ethnicity.

Many African Americans follow an empowering form of Christianity which include traditional African spiritual traditions.

It's a fusion of sorts one could say.

An amalgam formed of many years being assimilated into western culture, as seen by many other ethnic groups around the world.

Take for example how many Vietnamese are Catholics, despite the fact that the French who brought it to them were their oppressors.

Society teaches us that many minorities seek to emulate the culture of the larger majority in an effort to co-exist or even assimilate, in an effort to improve one's own well being.

One of the most popular breakfast in Hong Kong is macaroni and ham soup.

Both of the ingredients in this popular soup are Western in origin and brought to Hong Kong during the British occupation.

However, no one is going to argue that eating such food is a sign of weakness or oppression.

People would merely tell you that it's delicious and pleasing.

So to go back to your initial question of why African Americans celebrate Christianity.

Well, the answer is quite simply, is was both an act of survival/self improvement (an attempt to assimilate into a society which was previously hostile to you) and an attempt at self identity (post-segregation, acceptance of African Americans as a free people, equal to the whites who previously enslaved them, and emulation of the culture which they have been apart of for the last 100+ years).

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#38  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@w0nd said:

@jointron33 said:

"Or the "Christianity is worshipping the white man's God", whilst running to the aforementioned Islam?"

You mentioned the word Christianity someone else mentioned bible.

Just gonna point out that Christianity is a middle eastern religion

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: .... apology accepted. Just please try to be a little more sensitive in the future

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: I don't consider Africans or Africa enthusiasts to be Afrocentrists. I'm just so pissed at some of the foolishness I see.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

@holyserpent:

Scared? Whatever. I disagree with calling someone's culture/belief dumb as hell. No need to elaborate much more.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pooty said:

Well the Irish took to Roman Catholicism pretty well despite the Romans enslaving them and destroying their culture.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jointron33: Well some of the "foolishness" you see isn't actually. It's just something you don't understand or can't relate to. Again, I bring up the hair thing. Where I lived and currently live, it's not weird or "Afrocentrist" because everyone's hair is like that. What I don't get is how in America, a black woman can't take her natural hair to work (white collar) because it's "unprofessional". That's just silly; it can be made to look professional. How can something that I was born with be banned from my workplace? I might as well not be black, eh?

The name thing. What language(s) are those names from and what do they mean? The examples you've given? I'd give you my real full name as an example but I won't. I'll give another. "Oluwadarasimi". That's Yoruba and it means "God is good to me". If it were my real name, people would just call me "Dara" (which is also an Irish name so that works) or "Simi" or such like. I can't speak for all of Africa but where I come from, what you name your kid is a BIG deal because it's supposed to affect their life in some shape or form or is a description of the circumstances of birth. It's not superstition. It's culture. And not just mine. There's a story of a man in the Bible who was named "Jabez" which translates as "Pain" because his mother went through a lot birthing him. Similarly the name "Ichabod" - "The glory has departed". And that's ancient Hebrew. Another name in my language, "Babatunde". Literally, "Father of Tunde" is the name given to a boy who is born just after his father or grandfather named "Tunde" has died. So you can't accuse someone of being "Afrocentrist" just because they try to change their name to something with a good or sensible meaning instead of naming a child the first thing that comes to your mind. Do you know the name "Candace" is of Ethiopian origin and yet majority of it's bearers are Caucasian?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pooty: If we're being completely honest and people decided against Christianity based on the horrifying circumstances in which they were introduced to it then there wouldn't be a whole lot of Christians in the world.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@akindoodle: Hey I want to ask you a question and I hope it doesn't offend you. I'm black (I guess what would be called an African American) and one of my friends in the military told me that people

In Africa HATE black people in America. Is this at all true? (I know not all people have the same feelings but I'm asking if you've noticed anything that gives his statements credibility)

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle said:

This,

@holyserpent:

@jointron33 said:

Scared? Whatever. I disagree with calling someone's culture/belief dumb as hell. No need to elaborate much more.

And this.

I'm pretty sure anyone would be offended or upset is you said their culture or beliefs were dumb as hell. The idea that you seem surprised that someone would be and is offended by this statement really speaks to your severe lack of understanding about the world as a whole. I really mean that with as little insult as possible with that statement.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jezer

This thread is so stupid, it called me forth back from the depths of school preparation, from my own self-imposed Comicvine exile...Which is unfortunate since I'm pretty sure I have more pertinent threads to comment in, and yet I'm passing them up to comment in this.

Now, there are a couple flaws with your paragraph. For example, the idea of achieving "blackness" or trying to seem "black" is contrary to trying to become more African. Black is generally used synonymously with "African-American" and generally refers to that culture, which is significantly different from African culture. So, I guess, it would be more semantically correct for you to say they're trying to seem more "African".

Moving on, you tried to play off Africans being enslaved against Africans having great, beautiful, pride-worthy history as if those cannot be mutually exclusive - and you have to pick one or the other. That's like saying the Mayans didn't have a great civilization, with an accurate calender and good Astronomy skills, elaborate temples and rubber products, simply because they were conquered by the Spanish. I guess no one should ever claim Mayan/Native American heritage ever because they got conquered, so they're clearly "dumbasses"? Logic, not even once. I'm not a history buff, but I'm pretty sure alot of great civilizations were eventually conquered.

I, however, think the main problem with your post is you're generalizing or imposing your own perception of what constitutes Afrocentrists, and then criticizing Afrocentrism and Afrocentrists based on this specific type of them instead of simply criticizing these specific types. The result is butthurt Africans/African Enthusiasts(according to your word) who see you horribly misrepresenting what you're talking about and are facepalming since you seem to have classified them as "dumb as hell". That's like criticizing Islam based on the extremists.

I'm actually butthurt that of the few times I randomly stray back to this site, you make a thread too annoying for me to ignore. Shame on you.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sog7dc said:

@akindoodle: Hey I want to ask you a question and I hope it doesn't offend you. I'm black (I guess what would be called an African American) and one of my friends in the military told me that people

In Africa HATE black people in America. Is this at all true? (I know not all people have the same feelings but I'm asking if you've noticed anything that gives his statements credibility)

No, as a son of Africans I can tell you that is a BS rumor. What we don't like is that African Americans and Whites here in the US seem to like to portray Africans as backwards, poor, and unintelligent. *Sorry for the rant*.