• 61 results
progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By progenitorigin

@FadeToBlackBolt: The 28-etc Later movies aren't zombie movies, they're movies about infected people, much like the Quarantined series. Zombieland was more of a black comedy, same as Shaun of the Dead. If you wanna talk great zombie flicks, the best are the original Dawn of the Dead, the remake by Zack Snyder, aforementioned, and the movie Colin.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By progenitorigin

@CATPANEXE said:

@Final Arrow: They do know what caused it (the gas cloud). That was a wartime chemical explosion. It hasn't been a common occurrence over the timeline. The other witness account of something similar is " evil spirits " witnessed by natives, a theory which the nations leaders support. I'm dismissive personally of claims that are skewered to support a superstitious argument myself, be that from a culture who naturally is, or " zombie fans " whom are trying to twist facts to support the theory they want to push, as I was clearly of the linked article. It's a lot like religious science. When examining evidence, a religious scientist is either going to find the subject matter to affirm the existence of the supernatural, or rebuke it? Always the former, when locked in and trying to push the idea of the existence of a deity that created everything, everything must be concluded to point to it. In the case of the nodding disease here, that gas cloud occurrence, ei; chemical warfare, was put on the table as a potential cause, and still holds a little. It's found to cause seizures is as much as fact, as the pollution left over from it does, which is of course one of the symptoms of the disease. But biologically that doesn't fully account for the rest of the symptoms. The largest notion is that it's a virus carried from insects. This has been found to be the cause of various other " zombielike " illnesses in that area, like the flesh rotting jitters for example. In the nodding disease case it's narrowed down to a parasite carried by the black fly, which has been found to be in large amounts in all of the infection spreads, and over the timetable as well, and the victims have been exposed to it directly. My post was not however towards such origins, it was towards the pillaging of a severe disease that's destroying the children in a place that's already so in need of help in so many ways it could easily be equated with Hell itself, and a journalist for a site based in science sinking so low to do that. These people need help, not an exorcist or rampant group of armed hardwired Resident Evil fans at their door. A lot of people sadly really really want there to be hordes of evil zombies, because hey, what would be more fun than shooting things that look like people like in the video game, justified and guilt free, but the fact is what there really is is a lot of suffering people in horrible agony because their diseased. Humans address that this world is a bad place that's falling apart, I see that more than not and have to agree. One of the first factors that needs to be addressed in healing that is people need to understand their capacity for contribution, and reassess their priorities.

Actually, it can't yet be determined that the black fly is the cause of the nodding illness, as the article said that there were cases of the illness even where the nodding fly doesn't reside.

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By spystreak

@nickthedevil said:

Alrighty guys... Remember: we should never split up, never bring a hysterical woman, or stupid children. Listen to these rules and you will survive.

forgot the most important rule "aim for the head"

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Hm. Another reason to add to my '1000 reasons not to go to Africa' list.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By CATPANEXE

@progenitor: Hence why I pointed out that the article was skewered in order to propagate the notion that real flesh eating zombies existed (I pointed out twice in my original post about how the author pandered the children gnawing on their restraints as a sign of " mindless zombie hunger " being a cliche sign.

@CATPANEXE said:

Not really a precursor on my day that that site calls itself an institution of science is the part I find, to use their own select word " baffling ". The illness has been around since the 60's firstly. Second, the journalist used the fact that the children " gnaw at the restraints on their hands in attempts to get free " as a cliche sign of current fictional zombie relations (and made a few gestures to Capcom's Resident Evil series, really?), even through the fact that the children have the motor skills to be arsonists (allegedly). * Facepalm * This is a horrible and painful disease for all involved, definitely at the crisis stage, and one which needs compassion and some kind of attention in the form of aid and a proposed vaccine brought to it, not where this article (which I'm certain will spread on the internet like wildfire) does no less than what would be making light of the HIV virus as some sort 28 Days Later rage virus and the victims as a video game point and shoot archetype. And people wonder why I'm completely resolved lately that a large number of the " educated " populace in industrialized countries don't seem to even retain the most basic of studies currently. Honestly, disappointment is the word for the week.

This is the reply I left on that link:

Honestly?

To Jason Mick: You know, is it possible that the children were " gnawing " at the restraints on their hands because their hands were bound? I won't bother myself to evaluate the rest of details in your article, I think you know were I'll go so I'll just jump right to the point instead: So here you are, taking a horrible disease that's been around since the 60's at least and at the moment it gets worse (which is pretty subjective in this case), one which causes much pain and agony to anyone affected by it, and destroys children, one which probably needs more attention in the way of aid and research into a vaccine, and you try and spin in it into a model for a fictional zombie apocalypse? And going as far to put up humorous images from popular video game franchises and make light of it as well? Can we expect follow up stories linking HIV, Malaria and small pox to "vamprism" as well? You sir, are a disgrace to not only the scientific community, but humankind as well, and should be both ashamed of yourself, as well there needs to be an article focusing instead on how single digit insensitive jerks like yourself are taking horrifying afflictions and trying to abuse the situation to make cheap attempts at viral newscasts. Simply the single most appalling thing today I've seen online. Maybe we shouldn't be focused on illnesses as the root cause of the continuation of anguish in the world, but the negative contributions of persons such as yourself? Anyone else commenting here trying to play this out as something other than what it is should think about how they may be equating themselves to your low rent efforts. Would you be drawing these warped conclusions if this was your child that was sickened by this disease?

The fact is I read more articles on that about the subject, including the official research Vs. media outlets. More than fifty in fact. It hasn't been fully determined due to the lack of research and resources to do so, but it has been concluded as the most likely case, and not the black fly but the parasite that does in fact carry the virus itself. The larger conclusion is that the different symptoms are more likely the combination of more than one afflictions. Still it stands above the alternative, that these people are the real life incarnation of fictional zombie archetypes.

The other fact that remains intact is that human beings vilify the downtrodden, in order to justify taking advantage of them in their plight, and the go to method is to choose something fantastic that plays into human superstition. For centuries women where portrayed as magic wielding ill intended witches in order to put them underfoot and excuse abusing them, and in fact still are. Power mongering American Caucasians perpetuate the notion that Africans are genetically criminal bound, and shouldn't be trusted and need to be kept in check. The fortunate and those on the side of the line with good luck are taught to believe that the homeless and poor are drug dealers, and various other forms of coined degenerate criminals and to be loathed, despite the fact that logically their limited resources would count them out of such equations. The mentally handicapped and the insane are the number one portrait for criminal insanity, in every form, be that in real life or in our fiction, when in fact most convicts are actually persons determined sane (hence the insanity plea) than not, and persons with disabilities are actually the victims of an illness whom are suffering and need assistance, and understanding. Now the persons, and children of Uganda, where do I begin and end? This nations people have so many problems, and so many of the worst known its uncanny. So here we find ourselves portraying the children of their nation as some kind of villainous archetype, again, whether that's as inhuman killers, or the real life proof, even potentially of rabid cannibalistic zombies, and in the same hand working very hard to dismiss any logical cause of their illness, as well as the illness itself and the suffering it is causing. Zombies in fiction are not portrayed as a hurting people reaching out for help of course, they are depicted as pure evil. And a very popular one at that, so to the fact that in this day in age many people not only consider their existence nigh, they actually desire a zombie apocalypse to happen, some pushing the boundaries of that fantasy too far to where it begins to become reality when the lines blur. And what a fantasy is that! Everyone dies and there is an endless line of people, but, people one can in act violence on with out repercussion. In fact with applause. And of course in the fantasy, one is the hero. One is the person who has it together, and protects their family and friends, and the gain praise for this, like the recognition they wish they had in reality. Aside from that of course all the people that ever hurt them, or they didn't like are zombies in that fantasy, and villains, and they get to do to them all the things they ever wished inside their true nature, without guilt, even in the subconscious while playing the fantasy itself out. What a wonderful thing to attach to a plagued race, and why? Because if it's pushed enough that they are bad people, then everyone has every reason to not only not care for them, or justify any help given to them, but to actually want them to suffer, and of course allow the usual to go down, which is that people from countries wanting to take advantage of their vast resources, say their oil and gas deposits, can get away with blowing them out of the way, and in the same turn be given medals for this, rather than be shunned as they should. Personally I find that terrible, and don't plan to be persuaded to be of a different mindset, nor am I stupid enough to have the acknowledgment of the actual problem itself derailed by inconsequential points and conclusions. I like my heart beating. But that's just me.

venomyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By venomyak

You guys! Guns are for the weak! A real man passes from this world into Vahalla with either an ax or sword in his hand( possibly a stick) and I've already got both.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By entropy_aegis

It's Joseph Kony I tell YA.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers