#1 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

im plnning on attending my first con this year and im cosplaying. made my decision to go as Master Chief:

so im just wondering what to expect.

Are there any unwritten rules I should know before going?

is there stuff to buy there?

what do you do at a con?

ive heard from friends that its not cool to talk to the girls there because they get offended. is that true?

does anybody know where I can get a Halo gun replica?

#2 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The last day is the best day to buy from vendors. They drop their prices but be warned: you may end up carrying a five foot battle ax around for six hours. Don't act thirsty or like a douchebag toward the scantily clad ladies. Look, don't leer, maybe be polite and ask to take a picture with them. I refuse to believe that a woman cosplaying as Vampirella is angered by a little friendly attention. But flirting is pretty lame...un,ess you're me, because my nerd game is on point.... Anyways, I highly reccommend planning your day or days out ahead of time. I went to NYCC and I'm sure I missed something each of the three days.

#3 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I've still never gone to a con..

#4 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise:

he just made it seem like it was a big nono. I mean I know how to talk to girls but I just wanted to know if it was like taboo.

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17522 posts) - - Show Bio

Um Id advise you to save some money up for the event and plan a budget too. Since there seems to be alot of stuff to buy. Well that is if you are planning on buying anything. So yeah if you are planning to buy anything save some money up.

Um and be prepared to wait in line I guess.

This is coming from someone who has yet to go to a convention, but I know people do spend alot at conventions so I am just giving some advise that I myself would follow.

#6 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. be friendly toward the other con-goers.
  2. ask if the other cosplayers would like their picture taken or if you could find someone to take it for you while you join the group.
  3. like everybody said, plan a budget or you can go in the hole real quick
  4. mingle with the celebs [most usually show up the last 2 days]
  5. buy a ticket in advance or wait in line to buy
  6. have fun
#7 Posted by laflux (13787 posts) - - Show Bio

But flirting is pretty lame...unless you're me, because my nerd game is on point....

#8 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're going for multiple days, I recommend you only cosplay for one of them. Looking through comics and meeting people is a real pain if you're armoured up.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring me along ;)

#10 Posted by Dabee (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

Plan on waiting in lines for upwards of two hours in all.

Don't just assume you will be able to meet everyone you want to, plan it out.

Get in line for panels at least 15-30 minutes early to assure you will get a seat.

Bring proper carrying apparel. Don't just rely on the plastic bags the vendors put stuff in.

Bring your own poster tube as well, or else your prints you buy will surely get bent up.

Yeah, don't be a weirdo and flirt with girls at a convention. When they are wearing revealing outfits, you'll just look like a moron approaching them. You'd obviously just be doing it for objective reasons and would just be annoying them. I've seen it happen countless times, wearing something revealing does not mean they want guys ogling at them-you'll just look like a jerk.

And yeah, bring money. Cash.

Mind me asking which convention you're going to? SDCC?

#11 Posted by JediXMan (29296 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't make my mistake when I first went: have a plan. Wandering aimlessly is still fun, but have an idea of where you want to go during the Con. If you want to attend panels, get a schedule. If you want to buy stuff, head to the vendors you like. Usually, there are discount comics and TPBs, as well as cards and general memorabilia.

Also, there's probably going to be a sword vendor somewhere. If you intend on buying a sword (that will actually be more than a mantle piece... or you at least want to avoid the "helicopter of death." If not, ignore the following), make sure it's full tang. Ask the guy and he should know. If he doesn't know, that means he isn't even knowledgeable on what he's selling.

I get the feeling that your friend acts... creepy, or goes out of his way to talk only to the skimpily-dressed girls there. No offense. I talk to everyone and people are generally friendly.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (29296 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

Plan on waiting in lines for upwards of two hours in all.

Don't just assume you will be able to meet everyone you want to, plan it out.

Get in line for panels at least 15-30 minutes early to assure you will get a seat.

Bring proper carrying apparel. Don't just rely on the plastic bags the vendors put stuff in.

Bring your own poster tube as well, or else your prints you buy will surely get bent up.

Yeah, don't be a weirdo and flirt with girls at a convention. When they are wearing revealing outfits, you'll just look like a moron approaching them. You'd obviously just be doing it for objective reasons and would just be annoying them. I've seen it happen countless times, wearing something revealing does not mean they want guys ogling at them-you'll just look like a jerk.

And yeah, bring money. Cash.

Mind me asking which convention you're going to? SDCC?

All of this is true... though I rarely have the patience to wait on line for more than a half hour, so I jump on the empty game demos.

Definitely bring a bag. Empty backpack or, if you intend on getting a lot of larger items, a duffel bag (not kidding. I've seen this). A poster tube is also a good idea.

And yeah, cash. Very few vendors take credit or debit. They want cash, just cash. Usually the ones that take credit are the more... established booths. The kind that have employees working the show floor with shirts advertising their stores.