• 74 results
#51 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

Sure -- just like how there are various forms for women, there should be an equal amount for men. You do realize that birth control itself has side effects and potential for cancer, etc. Make medications or procedures which prevent men from being able to impregnate a woman and there you go. More control in the hands of the man and birth control measures can be a shared responsibility between the two partners. (Although seriously -- this should be done in tandem with condoms for STD prevention).

@_zombie_ said:

@lykopis: Actually, I think there's a shot a guy can get every six months or so that effectively sterilizes him.

That's awesome! That would even things up even more.

#52 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@mrdecepticonleader:

Sure -- just like how there are various forms for women, there should be an equal amount for men. You do realize that birth control itself has side effects and potential for cancer, etc. Make medications or procedures which prevent men from being able to impregnate a woman and there you go. More control in the hands of the man and birth control measures can be a shared responsibility between the two partners. (Although seriously -- this should be done in tandem with condoms for STD prevention).

@_zombie_ said:

@lykopis: Actually, I think there's a shot a guy can get every six months or so that effectively sterilizes him.

That's awesome! That would even things up even more.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Like that chip they put in a woman's arm? That kind of thing.

#53 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio
#55 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio
#56 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#57 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I found this fairly recent article from PopSci.com that talks about male birth control, and if you enter the gallery it'll say things about the current methods and their current status.

#58 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio
#59 Edited by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

The man can abandon the child by paying a fee, it's called child support.

Have a baby by me baby, be a millionaire

I write the check before the baby comes, who the f#ck cares

#60 Posted by TDK_1997 (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually that sounds pretty interesting.It's good to know that even we men have some right to abandon a child.

#61 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@dabee: In your post you say "if you don't want a baby keep your junk in your pants" can't I apply the same logic to a woman who wants an abortion? Keep your panties on. It's ok for a woman to abort but not ok for a man to "abandon"?

It's not a baby when the woman aborts it, it's already a kid if the man abandons it. There is no excuse for a man to abandon his child and not help in anyway. If he does, he's a deadbeat and deserves to lose his balls.

#63 Edited by Supermanwithatan01 (4059 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually very similar to a case I read about in college. A man and his fiance' were making a decision on the abortion and she decided she couldn't do it. They went to court and by the courts order the "my body, my decision" was basically precedent. This of course split the couple up. After the child was born, the man refused to pay child support once she gained full custody. His argument was "her body, her responsibility". The judge actually ruled in his favor as I recall and it sent ripples through the system.

#64 Posted by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Fair to who? The innocent child or the man who doesn't want to accept responsibility for his child. If you can't accept responsibility for a child you shouldn't have sex.

#65 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18744 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually very similar to a case I read about in college. A man and his fiance' were making a decision on the abortion and she decided she couldn't do it. They went to court and by the courts order the "my body, my decision" was basically precedent. This of course split the couple up. After the child was born, the man refused to pay child support once she gained full custody. His argument was "her body, her responsibility". The judge actually ruled in his favor as I recall and it sent ripples through the system.

That is how it should be.

#66 Posted by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly cannot believe there are men on here who believe abandoning their child is even an option. You're more worried about what is "fair" to you a grown man than your own offspring. What the hell is wrong with you?

There is no equivalent between this idea you are suggesting and abortion. This is a fiction spun up by a group of irresponsible dirtbags who think only about themselves.

#67 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde said:

I honestly cannot believe there are men on here who believe abandoning their child is even an option. You're more worried about what is "fair" to you a grown man than your own offspring. What the hell is wrong with you?

There is no equivalent between this idea you are suggesting and abortion. This is a fiction spun up by a group of irresponsible dirtbags who think only about themselves.

I personally would keep my child and not put aborting into consideration in any case, but what am I saying? I'm a young adult.

But, I have to agree with everyone else here. He can abandon the child if he's not ready or just doesn't want it, it's the equivalent to a girl aborting. Especially if the girl doesn't tell the guy that she's pregnant and just drops that huge load on his head when the baby is born, not knowing/caring whether or not he's ready. It's not completely his fault she got pregnant; it takes two to have a baby.

If she can abort, he can abandon.

#68 Edited by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not equivalent to aborting. A woman aborts a fetus, it's over that child is gone it can't suffer.

In the case of abandonment there is a child in this world, and you their parent have decided, you know what...you aren't worth my love or even my support.

Abandoning your child can lead to lifelong issues. Fatherless children are many times more likely to commit crimes, drop out of school, and end up in prison. Then there is the emotional toll of being abandoned and likely growing up in poverty and all that entails.

There is no moral equivalence here between abortion and abandonment. I know I may sound harsh but men who abandon their children deserve to be whipped.

#69 Posted by pooty (11786 posts) - - Show Bio

If they plan the child then the father can't abandon the child EVER.

If they don't plan the child... and the women wants to keep it.... but the man doesn't... he should have the right to give up all rights to the child.... without the women's consent.

If they don't plan the child.... and the women wants to abort...... but the man wants to keep it..... sadly the man is out of luck

#70 Posted by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242: Having a child isn't like having lunch, you can't just say ohh I'm not ready I don't have to take responsibility for my actions. This is a child's life we are talking about here. You can't just say, I don't want you and pawn YOUR CHILD off on someone else, that's not how it works. It doesn't matter if he knows, it doesn't matter if he's ready... He is responsible for that child. It may be tough, it may not be fun, but that's what being an adult and being a man is about.

You are right, it does take two...so why is it ok for him to abandon and leave her raising the child on her own? If they are equally culpable for the pregnancy then why is he allowed to skip out?

#71 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: I understand that concept, but I'm not justifying it on the whole, I'm justifying a specific scenario on the topic. Is it just right to abandon your child because you don't want it? No. Is it alright for a woman to get pregnant, despite what the man and her decided on w/ abortion and drop the responsibilities and pressure on his head?

#72 Edited by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@batman242:

I'm not attacking you specifically or anything so don't get me wrong but I just cannot accept that as ok. Your scenario is a crappy one for anyone to be in, but I still think the guy needs to take responsibility. I would.

#73 Posted by Lunacyde (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: Why does it matter if it is planned or not? Are people not intelligent enough to be aware that having sex runs the risk of pregnancy? Are they unaware that no form of birth control is 100% effective? If you're mature enough to make the decision to engage in sex you better be mature enough to take responsibility for the consequences.

#74 Posted by pooty (11786 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: If you didn't plan on having a child in the first place, then you shouldn't have the child. if the women INSIST on keeping the child I should not be held responsible for her decision.

#75 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde said:

You are right, it does take two...so why is it ok for him to abandon and leave her raising the child on her own? If they are equally culpable for the pregnancy then why is he allowed to skip out?

So why is it okay if she decides to abort the baby despite him wanting it? It works both ways, IMO. She decided to have sex and knew the consequences, but decides to back out of it even though her partner rules against it, and he has no choice but to agree with her and get over the fact that his potential first child is basically dead.

But when the shoe is on the other foot, it's a problem, and I understand that it's an actual living, breathing, moving human being in this case, but that doesn't make it much different. So either way, the guy has to accept the child, but the woman gets to do whatever she pleases although she's at an equal fault with the guy.