A Set 20 Years in the Making!

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

Edited By Gold Dust Boi

So back in 1993 when I was about 13 years old, I was getting into the full swing of my comic collection.  I was collecting the "Death of Superman" storyline, and two weeks before the much anticipated death I was grounded.  Due to some (imaginary, I'm sure) crime I was grounded indefinitely by my mother and my comics were confiscated.  And I missed the last two parts, Superman: the Man of Steel #19 and the tragic Superman #75.

The grounding didn't last and I was able to track down the opening pieces for Funeral of a Friend and then collected the rest of that storyline and the following Reign of the Supermen.  However, I for whatever reason just never got around to getting those last two issues.  Someone bought me the trade of the whole storyline so I got to read it a year after it happened so I knew how it went, and it never occurred to me to even bother tracking it down.

Well last October at the New York Comic-Con I was browsing through a bin of $1 comics and happened upon a great copy of Man of Steel #19 so clearly I picked it up (I mean who can resist a cheap comic you KNOW you don't have), and then went about my buying rampage.

Well just today when I picked up this week's comics, I'm a little behind since the move, I took a sweep through the 50 cent boxes at my local comic store, A & S Comics in Teaneck, NJ, I found a copy of my long anticipated Superman #75.  And the set was complete!

Now clearly it wasn't wrapped in its black polybagged with the armband (but was still in excellent condition), and if I really wanted that I would drop $15 on a copy online. However, I can finally say, 18 year later, that I have the complete storyline, and my followers no how particular I get about having full sets of stuff (now a days I won't even read a story until I have all the parts) so to me this is a huge deal for a great price!
azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By azza04

lol cool story.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

Good for you.

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By spider-man 2996

Great story!!
CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CainPanell

ha i just got the death issue in it's original packaging and everything for 50 cents

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTG12

Good for you man.
Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome Glad you got the issues!

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By SpidermanWins

love the story lol I can relate with buying rampages

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9  Edited By Battlepig

Congratulations, man. I know exactly what that's like. Stories like these make me rather happy. Enjoy your comics, mate!