A clarification on swearing (all please read)

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Manchine

@razzatazz said:

@manchine said:

@awesam said:

@razzatazz said:

@manchine said:

@razzatazz I had a discussion with a mod about this a few weeks ago about this very thing. I decided not to pursue it at the time but here it is again so I might as well ask. Swearing is unacceptable but swearing with one letter taken out and a * put in its place is ok. According to that Mod.

Is that the rule for Comic Vine?

That is within the rules, yes.

Pointless rule. Replacing a letter with a * doesn't really change anything.

That's what I thought but as we just found out....

I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Just a point to note, that the swearing in this way still has to be in context. You can't call someone "a "f***ing idiot" for instance (btw that middle word is not "farming")

I really did LOL there. This 1 letter thing doesn't make to much sense.. Specially when your own rules say you have to block out words in pictures. Your *** actually shows you're trying to be one self but understand the rules. The one word * doesn't do jack because people brains still see that as swearing.

Not arguing just discussing. =)

PS I would hit the flag button for saying that but if he had just used *** and the first letter that would be far superiorer.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@pooty said:

When you privately own something you have EVERY RIGHT to make whatever decision you like. Whether it be genius or stupid, it is your right. The mods work for the owners. They have a job to do whether they or we agree with it or not. The mods should enforce the rules in order to protect their own jobs. I went to the bank i've been going to for over 6yrs. They know me. One day i wanted to make a withdrawal and they asked for ID. My ID was expired by a few days. They know me. My ID still shows a picture of me. But the OWNERS of the bank made a rule that you can't use expired ID's. It irked me. But I can take my business elsewhere if its that important. Same principle applies here. So stop whining about bull$hit and Shut The F*CK up!!

Where is the problem here? I see people seeking clarification -- I didn't even say I disagreed with the rule (not that you were speaking to me) - I generally agree with it.

Moderators don't work for the site -- they volunteer their time.

I don't just see people asking for clarification. I saw post of people saying they didn't like it, it was stupid and unneeded etc. My reply was in general not directed at any person. Those are my views whenever a company enacts a law or rule(in most cases). and even though they don't get paid, i do consider it "work" and they can be removed for not doing as told.

Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

When you privately own something you have EVERY RIGHT to make whatever decision you like. Whether it be genius or stupid, it is your right. The mods work for the owners. They have a job to do whether they or we agree with it or not. The mods should enforce the rules in order to protect their own jobs. I went to the bank i've been going to for over 6yrs. They know me. One day i wanted to make a withdrawal and they asked for ID. My ID was expired by a few days. They know me. My ID still shows a picture of me. But the OWNERS of the bank made a rule that you can't use expired ID's. It irked me. But I can take my business elsewhere if its that important. Same principle applies here. So stop whining about bull$hit and Shut The F*CK up!!

You'd make a good dog.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

@pooty said:

@lykopis said:

@pooty said:

Where is the problem here? I see people seeking clarification -- I didn't even say I disagreed with the rule (not that you were speaking to me) - I generally agree with it.

Moderators don't work for the site -- they volunteer their time.

I don't just see people asking for clarification. I saw post of people saying they didn't like it, it was stupid and unneeded etc. My reply was in general not directed at any person. Those are my views whenever a company enacts a law or rule(in most cases). and even though they don't get paid, i do consider it "work" and they can be removed for not doing as told.

Yes, the above is true.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By RazzaTazz

@pooty said:

You'd make a good dog.

That insult is unnecessary.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

You know what, I've had enough of this. If anyone has a legitimate problem with these specific rules, feel free to PM any of the mods or myself for clarification. Other than that, I'm sick and tired of what this thread has turned into.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic said:

Dear god, the drama going on in this site is so petty at times.

@razzatazz My concerns relate to the fan-fic section. Though it is rare that I use swearing in my writing, I do use it every once in a while. I use it when I'm trying to convey an emotion, or write in such a way that the people reading my work will recognize the character that is being portrayed. Now granted most of the time it doesn't happen, and rarely is a character (at least in my experience) known for excessive swearing; however, every once in a while the need does arise. In the fanfiction section, I believe there are rules in place that we have a rating system where a fic can be either constituted as "mature" in cases of violence and language. Does that rule still stand?

I guess there is a bit of leeway for artistic license, but it is still dissuaded.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By RazzaTazz
Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I, for one, am ok with this. Swearing ruins any point one is trying to make and really distracts from the story. There are always exceptions, but for the most part this is my take.

This and my kids like reading over my shoulder.......

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is the word sh!t allowed?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

So much commotion.

No Caption Provided

This is wonderful...... but it also gives more evidence to what I said earlier saren......

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#163 JediXMan  Moderator

Where does swearing fall in the new flag system? Harassment / disruptive posting, I assume.

PS: I really like the new system. I like the ability to be specific, and it also prevents accidental flags.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Mostly disruptive posting, though harassment under the right conditions.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#165 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: Mostly disruptive posting, though harassment under the right conditions.

Aren't they under the same category? Also, what happened? The flag button had a drop down menu a minute ago.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been added to the site rules, but the no swearing rule applies not only to text but also to other posted material (including images and videos). If you are in the habit of posting images or videos with swearing, then break the habit as it can lead to the same warnings as regular swearing. A reminder as well (though this has been in the site rules for a long time) is to not quote people that have been swearing, as quoting material can be as bad as the original post. If you need to quote a post with swearing in it then edit it out please (whatever for the swearing was in.)

i get it if you cuss someone out or bash someone but on the real though dont you think saying something like this shit is going to be awesome refering to a movie trailer or comic or game is that bad?

instead of targeting every cuss word why dont you target the ones that actually are the worst of the worst to say?

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The mods post rules less than half the users can adhere to and rules they don't even themselves agree on and are shocked when discussion of said rules degenerates into in-fighting and recriminations? Shocking.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#168 wildvine  Moderator

What is the issue here? There are far more non "curse words" then there are curse words. Its not a hard rule. Stop the noise already. Its not even a big deal.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#170  Edited By Darling_Luna
wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 wildvine  Moderator
Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: 15 yard penalty, still second down

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 wildvine  Moderator

@wildvine: 15 yard penalty, still second down

I don't know enough football talk to answer cleverly. have a cat.

No Caption Provided

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Darling_Luna
Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Instead of using foul language, try saying this at office.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fair enough.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot believe this. I have to %&%#&** censor myself this a (&(^$% outrage. I don't give a %$%$%$% what anyone think or does I hate this )(*&$^$^%@%!^. &$&(@)()(%$#*!$%^*? <>;?)(^# *^$^^@ !**(&^<>??":" ^<(&$% &*^^<": **&*^%$%^@...........()**&^^%$$^!(**!??>: &*^$!*/?< %&*(!$.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#178  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

What I don't understand is why are any of these words considered "swear" words in the first place.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Youmika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I think you can take any word in any language and make it into a swearword. It's the intonation you use it with that counts. For instance I could call someone a 'pancake' and really intend for it to be a bad word, while I can sit at home and go 'hot d*mn mf' and mean it in a good way. But not to worry, not many swearwords make it to my writing... they usually just drop out of my mouth... completely by accident of course... :D

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The owners and original rule makers of the site are truly out to improve Comicvine in the best way they can, are they? They pull out updates that nobody ask for out of the door that cause a insane amount of glitches and bugs, now they have to put a tighter leash on what we are supposed to post or not. I think that is why the activity's feed was updated to show what are users posting so that everyone can see clearly. I guess if we don't put a disclaimer saying this video contains f-words, Zero Punctuation's videos are banned, as well as rap songs where the artist uses the word mutherf***er with the same frequency as a comma. Hell 70% of content on Youtube is banned in this case. Its alright then, its their site and their rules anyway... Doesn't make any less them shortsighted and/or that they don't acknowledge a world outside of Comicvine, but there you go.

Oh, you can make a case that kids might be watching and its true, but you think that just the poster putting on a disclaimer saying this video contains bad words will stop them from clicking in the video? This is ridiculous. Of course you can say, but these are the rules and regardless you may feel about them, you have nothing to say against them and you must obey. If it was not for the friendships that I made here in this site, I would have long since left since last's years relaunch. But then again, not like my departure would make any difference as I've seen how dismissive other are to users who put a insane amount of effort into this site, only to be spat back as if they are nothing. If I said "screw it, I am abandoning ship", I would have being met with scorn and sooner forgotten by the community in 2 hours max.

Go on defend the owners and original rule makers all you want... Just a heads up, I hope you guys are more tighter on trolls that have being getting away with impersonating users, posting unnecessary sex threads in the boards or perhaps you know, hackers, if you are willing to go down in something as frivolous as this.

EDIT: Oh my apologies, who I am to tell you how to do your jobs anyway?

No Caption Provided

CM Punk would be proud... I think. (+)

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: Hehehe, thanks dude. This was a long time ago and I had since calmed down, but still doesn't make it any less true ;)

TheeHuntress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razzatazz:

What if we censor some of the letter's out?

tronboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By tronboy
No Caption Provided

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By laflux
No Caption Provided

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By SilverGalford

you people seem to hate rules , but you actually follow rules in some places whether you like it or not LOL!.

on second thoughts, i hope with this Trolls get so banned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you people seem to hate rules , but you actually follow rules in some places wether you like it or not LOL!.

You seem to hate spelling, grammar and proper punctuation.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By SilverGalford

@silvergalford:

@farkam said:

@silvergalford said:

you people seem to hate rules , but you actually follow rules in some places wether you like it or not LOL!.

You seem to hate spelling, grammar and proper punctuation.

is that relevant? oh let me give you an idea, TONS of people here tend to do the same, not only here but on every part of the internet, now , will you tell ALL OF THEM to type properly perhaps? , i guess not , then why do you even care about what i type? it's pretty stupid. or perhaps you just want to annoy me?

PatriotPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about dang, heck, gosh, and crap?

uttp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey: As far as censoring out profanity in media, ANY media editing software may be used to censor out profanity, not just Photoshop.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What about dang, heck, gosh, and crap?

Those are fine.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm perfectly ok with this. We really should watch our m************ mouths for f**** sake.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Noone301994
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the complainers in this thread cared half as much about other people as they care about finding some way to get away with swearing, they could have ended all poverty, disease, and human suffering by now.

But apparently, ending poverty, disease, and human suffering just doesn't matter as much to them as the chance to drop swear words into their posts as if they were all snickering elementary school children who have just found an underwear catalog in the garbage.

Maybe some of the stereotypes about comic book fans are not completely false after all.

dont you think saying something like this sh** is going to be awesome refering to a movie trailer or comic or game is that bad?

Why are you so desperate to use that word? If you are intelligent enough to participate in the forum, then surely you have a large enough vocabulary that you can easily express the same idea using words which are not cuss words. So why not use your real vocabulary instead of resorting to a word which has conveys almost no intelligent meaning?

If a person is unable to express a thought or notion fully without swearing, then that person isn't actually capable of expressing that thought or notion fully at all and probably doesn't completely understand it; that's simple fact, as any researcher in language and the mind can verify.