60 seconds and 1 minute arent really the same?

Avatar image for friendlyoldfatguy
FriendlyOldFatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FriendlyOldFatGuy

Ok so on a microwave if you push 60 it will cook your food for 60 seconds or 1 minute. AND if you also press 1:00 it will cook for 1 minute or 60 seconds. Right? OK! So, my question is this... ... if you add 1:00 + 1:00 it is = 2:00 right? So then your food will cook for a total of 2 minutess. BUT if you add 60 seconds + 60 seconds it will only cook for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Even though 60 seconds is 1 minute? To be mostly simply, why is it that 1 minute + 1 minute = 2 minutes but 60 seconds + 60 seconds = only 1 minute and 20 seconds?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

No 1 minute plus 60 seconds equals 120 seconds which is 2 minutes has anyone ever explained to you how the time works?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

Depends on your microwave really. I think that since your microwave can't distinguish between 1 minute and 100 seconds it probably errs on the side of caution.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor

you are actually isane lol. 1minute +1 minute is 2minutes, 2 minutes is 120 seconds not 1min 20.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By whacknasty
@lazystudent said:
" you are actually isane lol. 1minute +1 minute is 2minutes, 2 minutes is 120 seconds not 1min 20. "
LOL.

Man, I feel like I need Mr. Wizard to help me out with this now...too many numbers, colons and radiation...
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@whacknasty:  its a dangerous combination
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

I was going to explain in detail what is wrong with this thread but I'm not mentally capable of doing it without being an asshole 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By King_Saturn
@whacknasty said:
" @lazystudent said:
" you are actually isane lol. 1minute +1 minute is 2minutes, 2 minutes is 120 seconds not 1min 20. "
LOL.

Man, I feel like I need Mr. Wizard to help me out with this now...too many numbers, colons and radiation...
"
Mr. Wizard  !  I have not seen that show in ages  !
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something tells me I'm not the only person in here who hasn't added water to ramen noodles before. I didn't ditch Home Economics to learn about measuring the distance of time and hunger.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Billy Batson

lol fail. Is this guy serious?

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By whacknasty
@sesquipedalophobe said:
" Something tells me I'm not the only person in here who hasn't added water to ramen noodles before. I didn't ditch Home Economics to learn about measuring the distance of time and hunger. "
Huh...? Lol...

@King Saturn: Yeah, I used to watch that show way too much. I gave up on it when I couldn't get how to make a clock out of a potato or something like that...cant really remember now...
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe
@aztek the lost: So this is because he doesn't understand how to operate his microwave then? ok then I'll explain When you put 1 followed by 2 zeros it read as a minute not 100 second hince the colon in between the 1 and the first zero so if you want to cook something for 100 seconds enter 1:40 which is 60+40 which equals 100 and he should know this if he made it past second grade  
Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Loki9876

lol somebody make a demotivinial poster from it

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe
@aztek the lost: I knew I couldn't explain it without sounding like an asshole
Avatar image for friendlyoldfatguy
FriendlyOldFatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:
" I was going to explain in detail what is wrong with this thread but I'm not mentally capable of doing it without being an asshole  "
Hey you shouldn't be mean to a friendly old guy. I already have self-esteem issues because I'm fat.

@aztek the lost said:
" @joshmightbe said:
" @aztek the lost: So this is because he doesn't understand how to operate his microwave then? ok then I'll explain When you put 1 followed by 2 zeros it read as a minute not 100 second hince the colon in between the 1 and the first zero so if you want to cook something for 100 seconds enter 1:40 which is 60+40 which equals 100 and he should know this if he made it past second grade   "
well I guess the way it read to me, he wasn't actually confused per say but rather making an observation...I may have gotten the wrong impression "

Yes it was more observation not confusion.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread almost reminds me of my conversation with my six-year-old nephew when my brother and I got an apartment together.

Nephew: Two uncles in one apartment?
Me: Yeah.
Nephew: In two rooms?
Me: Yes.
Nephew: With two Xboxes?
Me: Yup.
Nephew: Too awesome.
Me: What.
AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#20  Edited By AssertingValor
@joshmightbe said:
"No 1 minute plus 60 seconds equals 120 seconds which is 2 minutes has anyone ever explained to you how the time works? "
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By CATPANEXE

microwaves are the Devil's work, and they're trying to confuse you and mislead you into a life of sin, which will include sex and drugs, but rock n roll is now optional
as of 2010 and can be switched out with any other genre of music as long as it promotes you doing something that will piss off your peers. that being said, microwaves
are redundant, just buy pre-popped popcorn in the bag.