• 60 results
#1 Posted by WillPayton (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

In case you dont know, today the Supreme Court ruled that you dont have the rights of the 5th Amendment (the right to not self-incriminate) when you're detained by the police. If they ask you a question and you dont answer, it could be used as evidence of your guilt in court. You either have to invoke it or wait until they arrest you and give your the Miranda warning.

So, basically, the Supreme Court said that the 5th Amendment is no longer a right you have. You have ask for it by speaking certain words (like you're casting a spell or something), or wait until the police generously give it to you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/17/supreme-court-silence_n_3453968.html

Now, in case you're wondering who's responsible for helping to destroy your Constitutional right to remain silent... all the judges that ruled for it (Roberts, Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, and Alito) were appointed by Republicans, and all those who ruled against it (Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan) were appointed by Democrats. Remember that next time you hear a Republican talk about how much they want to preserve the Constitution.

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio

The police state continues to expand and the American experiment in democracy continues to die.

#3 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Eventually people will read up and be pissed off by things like this as they should.

#4 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

-___-

#5 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

The police state continues to expand and the American experiment in democracy continues to die.

This.

#6 Edited by Edamame (28164 posts) - - Show Bio

Great.

Believe it or not, I once heard someone say that America is slowly but surely becoming a Fascist nation. Go figure. I am not saying that it's true, but it certainly is something to consider.

#7 Posted by MrDirector786 (43564 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad but true

#8 Edited by WillPayton (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

Eventually people will read up and be pissed off by things like this as they should.

That's why I wanted to post this here. The only way this can be stopped is if people know about it, and then go tell their friends. Spread the word.

I'm also hoping the media will pick this up and run with it. If the people and the media complain enough, maybe Congress will do something... since it's hopeless expecting the Supreme Court to do the right thing.

#9 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...that's stupid...

EDIT ^^ Quite the understatement

#10 Posted by mikethekiller (8412 posts) - - Show Bio

this is...troubling.

#11 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

No they won't. Most people are too concerned with just getting by to give a damn about rights.

#12 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

You silly optimist.

We're all damned.

All of us.

:)

#13 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why you americans need you're guns, you're enemies are inside you're sytem

#14 Edited by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

This is why you americans need your guns, your enemies are inside your sytem

This

#15 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

If republicans voted against this they're R.I.N.O.'s (Republicans in name only)

#16 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny how the gun control thread gets 3+ pages of comments and this has less than 20 comments.

Your government is slowly taking away your rights and no one seems to care. One day someone needs to ask, "is security more important than people's rights?"

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

JFC

#18 Edited by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

Joy!

#19 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused by this.

I mean, ya can't just say you "plead the 5th" or what? Is it not allowed in courts now? Is it only allowed in courts?

This should have a massive effect on our legal system.

Also it's kind of dumb in more ways than one...

#21 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confused by this.

I mean, ya can't just say you "plead the 5th" or what? Is it not allowed in courts now? Is it only allowed in courts?

It means that total silence upon being arrested can be used against you in court. As if to assume that anyone who remains silent has something to hide.

#22 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Exactly, someone might just be waiting for their lawyer or simply have nothing to say for various reasons besides guilt.
This wavers too far into the "guilty until proven innocent" mindset IMO.

#23 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

This is important, but I think that gun control thread will remain and this will go away unnoticed.

#24 Edited by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

This is important, but I think that gun control thread will remain and this will go away unnoticed.

Unless we combine the threads into one megathread.
"Do you think gun control should be the new 5th amendment?"

Genius.

#27 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn said:

Unless we combine the threads into one megathread.

"Do you think gun control should be the new 5th amendment?"

Genius.

I'm all for it. Because it's true. The 1st and 5th are far more crucial.

#28 Posted by WillPayton (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

I'm confused by this.

It means that total silence upon being arrested can be used against you in court. As if to assume that anyone who remains silent has something to hide.

Total silence probably would not be used like that, because your lawyer can just say that you didnt answer ANY questions. It'd be hard to pinpoint a meaning to a particular unanswered question if you didnt answer any of them.

More problematic is if you're answering questions because they seem innocuous enough, but then they ask you "did you kill that person?" and then you freak out and stop answering. Maybe at that point you remember you dont have to answer, but dont know enough to invoke the 5th. Either way now they have you answering questions and not answering the incriminating one. See... you must be guilty!

#29 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: silly person thinks guns are the answer *facepalm*

#30 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: How did the firing squad execute their targets?

with a plastic spoon, right?

#31 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: ah yes so guns are the answer. Solid logic you got there bub

#32 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: as solid as a 9mm round shot at a hippie

#33 Posted by NovaRichRider (327 posts) - - Show Bio

The age of the Judges is coming.

#34 Edited by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: The American Revolution couldn't happen without guns. So it was an answer to tyranny.

#35 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: small minded people, always with the guns, shooting and stereotypes.

#36 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Its fun, and now you can print parts for the easily accessible AR-15

more dead hippies

hurrah America

#37 Edited by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@extremis: as solid as a 9mm round shot at a hippie

Nerx, it's wrong to kill people with guns. Here! Kill them with one of my barrels instead. XD

#38 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@digbykong: *does his best tricky dick voice imitation*

are hippies even people?

#39 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Captain America would be most ashamed. Shame on you, littlest of men.

#40 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: I look up to villains and the comedian would be proud

#41 Edited by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the $#!% that pisses me off....... You know if I type so and so owns a gun I can go jail in the dumb ass state that I live in. It is freaking retarded, the only amendment people give a $#!% about is the 2nd.......... %$#@ the other nine amendments....

#42 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

are hippies even people?

Depends who you ask. Eric Cartman would say no.

#43 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Welp.

#44 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the $#!% that pisses me off....... You know if I type so and so owns a gun I can go jail in the dumb ass state that I live in. It is freaking retarded, the only amendment people give a $#!% about is the 2nd.......... %$#@ the other nine amendments....

Loose lips sink ships. Why would you feel the need to talk about another person's ownership of guns?

#47 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhethorical question which might have already been asked before, what if the person was mute?

#48 Edited by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: I didn't in till some A-hole told me I can't........... Freedom of speech sweetheart.

#49 Edited by WillPayton (9475 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhethorical question which might have already been asked before, what if the person was mute?

Then I guess he's ok. I find it hard to believe that a jury, even as dumb as juries can be, will believe that a mute person didnt answer a question simply because there were afraid of incriminating themselves.

#50 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm moving to canada now, nothing bad happens there.