• 49 results
Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

2015 seems to be quite a banner year for anniversaries- 70 years since the death of US President Franklin D. Roosevelt ( and of course the accession of Harry S.Truman as his successor), the end of WWII and the beginning of ths subsequent Nuremburg War Crimes Tribunals( along with their lesser known Japanese counterpart the Internation Military Tribunal For the Far East or IMTFE for short), the 900th anniversary of Magna Carta, and of course the 50th annivesary(this November) of the abolition of the death penalty for murder in the United Kingdom with the "Murder(Abolition Of Death Penalty) Act of 1965"(see Wikipedia entry)Although no one could have foreseen either the NI "Troubles" or the phenomenon of violent islamic fundamentalism, it has long been a source of pride that not even these terrorist insurgencies has prompted the return of the gallows to our sceptered isle.

Anybody think as I do?

Terry

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ha! sucks for the UK

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want the death penalty available

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It is good we abolished the death penalty.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that the only other European jurisdiction with the death penalty is currently Belarus(m and that executions take place in societies like Saudi Arabia), trust me when I say: you DO NOT want to see the return of the gallows!

Terry

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In before USA vs UK.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@leo-343 said:

They need to bring It back.

No, we don't.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@leo-343: The same applies for your comment.

The risk of executing an innocent person cannot be eliminated; the sheer fact that an innocent person can die as a result of the death penalty defeats the purpose of the system, which is to execute those who kill innocents.

The UK's murder rate, is also at it's lowest since 30 years.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/fifty-50-years-death-penalty-britain-uk#.VMfYUmisUbw

The UK’s murder rate is at its lowest in 30 years, despite a lack of executions. Many studies have shown that the threat of execution doesn’t prevent homicides.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@leo-343 said:

@paracelsus: Why must people have their tax money spent on housing and taking care of repists and murderers? Just kill them. The world would be better off without them and the economy would flourish.

Apparently, it costs more for the death penalty than life without parole according to this page. This seems less biased and makes the matter more debatable but there doesn't seem to be a clear "winner". Unless you're talking about using olden day style executions.

And, although I can make exceptions for some people, I generally disagree with the punishment.

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

They need to bring It back.

Nope.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, don't bring it back

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

criminals need to die

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

criminals need to die

Death to shoplifters and jaywalkers!!!!!

:P

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

criminals need to die

:P

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story bro.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The logic that it costs less to kill them is uneducated.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@mandarinestro: Theoretically it would cost less if there wasn't an appeals process. Though I doubt anyone would want to live in a country where you can be put to death without accessing the specifics of the trial that led to that decision.

It's pretty awful to hear how easily people are willing to take the "eye for an eye" philosophy. It's even more ridiculous when they assume that incarceration is a soft punishment.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree- as the murderers of Drummer Lee Rigby are finding- growing old behind bars is more of a trial than a few minutes on the gallows( or lethal injection as they use in the US)!

Terry

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fifty years is still a relatively short time. Amazing how many things have changed only in the past century.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death penalty has its advantages whether people agree with it or not. Even if you disagree with it, there's no greater deterrent to crime than death. Sure innocents could wind up being sentenced but the same happens over giving them life in jail. Neither system is perfect however the chance of sentencing an innocent becomes less and less likely due to advances in technology and such. I did an ethics paper on the Death Penalty and I do recall it mentioning somewhere that DNA testing for ex helps eliminate the chance of the wrong person being sentenced. So yeah, there goes Frozen's argument. Besides, throwing someone in jail if they feel no remorse for their actions isn't really going to solve their crimes. Not really a punishment if it doesn't bother them over what they did

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By silent_bomber

Don't forget litterers, hate those guys!

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

In before USA vs UK.

Why would people have such a one sided debate in favor of:

No Caption Provided

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So handcuffs always work?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laflux
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if you disagree with it, there's no greater deterrent to crime than death.

Depends on the person.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death penalty needs to leave everywhere. No reason for it besides revenge

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha! sucks for the UK

How high is the U.S.A's crime rate again?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder :D

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: that's due to our war on drugs, which BA senators Rand Paul and Cory Booker are fighting

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

UK stop being so pretentious...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ccraft: Excuse us for being pretentious but if you sink to the level of those who've wronged you then you are no better than them.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ccraft
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Taking my own advice and walking away. I say let Britain be Britain and America be America and hope that both nations continue to prosper and grow

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gambit474

@leo-343 said:

@frozen said:

@leo-343: The same applies for your comment.

The risk of executing an innocent person cannot be eliminated; the sheer fact that an innocent person can die as a result of the death penalty defeats the purpose of the system, which is to execute those who kill innocents.

So execute those who pleaded guilty or those who are clearly not innocent due to an abundance of evidence.

The overwhelming majority (90 to 95 percent) of cases result in plea bargaining (source). So no, that would not work.

@gambit474 said:

The death penalty has its advantages whether people agree with it or not. Even if you disagree with it, there's no greater deterrent to crime than death. Sure innocents could wind up being sentenced but the same happens over giving them life in jail. Neither system is perfect however the chance of sentencing an innocent becomes less and less likely due to advances in technology and such. I did an ethics paper on the Death Penalty and I do recall it mentioning somewhere that DNA testing for ex helps eliminate the chance of the wrong person being sentenced. So yeah, there goes Frozen's argument. Besides, throwing someone in jail if they feel no remorse for their actions isn't really going to solve their crimes. Not really a punishment if it doesn't bother them over what they did

States with death penalty consistently have higher murder rate than those who dont (source). Also dna evidence is not the most important method of exoneration (source). So many things can go wrong in the criminal justice system that can cause wrongful convictions and in my opinion is not worth the mistake killing innocent people (source).

Yet again, the chances of sentencing an innocent person become less and less as technology advances. Not only that but just because someone gets the death sentence doesn't mean it'll be done immediately. It's not the first time someone's been freed on their innocence while being on death row. Having murder rates is irrelevant because it doesn't change the fact that the Death Penalty is not without advantages. I never said DNA was the most important, however it did support what I said about technology.

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like it to be brought back, but there's undoubtedly people that have been falsely accused & executed.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very good,death penalties are wrong and killing a citizen is always easier than making him fit to live in society again,that's why there are death penalties.Alse,fuc*er will suffer more alive in jail.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Taking my own advice and walking away. I say let Britain be Britain and America be America and hope that both nations continue to prosper and grow

I'm just joking friend! ^^

I agree the death penalty isn't a solution, 1 innocent man being put to death is 1 too many imo. How do you think US solve this problem? I think one of the ways would just educate people, but the news station are too busy reporting crap >_>

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Yes American news seems to be mildly ignorent of what happens elsewhere. I assume that's what contributes to the lack of geographical knowledge outside those 50 states

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't lose any sleep if a serial killer is sentenced to death but if I was wrongly sentenced...well, at least a life sentence can be overruled and I would one day walk free. I don't believe in any life after death so I may be a bit biased on that.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leo-343 said:

@gambit474: Stop quoting me.

Quit responding. Nobody forces you to respond and that notification isn't going to cause you any physical harm