Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Edited By Fallschirmjager

So anyone who knows me a little bit around these parts know I am a pretty big manga/anime fan. I've read/watched/enjoy it for even longer than I have comics - quite longer in fact. I have - no exaggeration - read and seen hundreds of different series, regardless if they are mainstream or unknown. Comedy or Romance. Action or Mystery. Science fiction or Horror. And so on.

Given that manga is essentially just Japanese comics, the subjects often come up around here pretty often. And so I thought I'd go ahead and create this blog (possibly series of blogs if well received) detailing the best anime I've seen over the 10+ years of what is easily thousands of hours reading and watching manga and anime.

At first I just wanted to do a top 5 or 10 of my favorite anime...but dismissed the thought. I've simply seen and enjoyed too many series to ever properly rank them. And so I came up with the idea of separating them into categories by top five.

This time around? Anime films.

Disclaimer: Entertainment is subjective. Rather it be music, movies, television, comics, comedy or in this case anime. There is no right or wrong answer. I cannot tell you what you enjoy no more than you can tell me what I enjoy. No two people have the same exact tastes or opinions about anything. If you don't like one of the films I list here, so be it. These are just what I think are the best, so keep that in mind - especially when I inevitably use hyperbole and exaggerating terms like "You'd be crazy not to like this movie".

Furthermore, while I have no intentions of flooding this blog with spoilers or going super in depth with plot overviews, some inevitably will show up. I apologize in advance if you haven't seen them.

Also this list isn't in any numerical order. They are all wonderful films in my opinion and all five are worth seeing. So without further ado!

P.S. I only watch anime in Japanese dub with English subtitles. More often than not, meaning and subtitles in language are lost in translation or simply cannot be translated completely. English dub work is also very inconstant, with some being good and some being horrible. I recommend watching all of these films in Japanese as they are far superior in my opinion.

Grave of the Fireflies

No Caption Provided

Grave of the Fireflies. The best movie you will never, ever, ever, EVER, want to see again.

I wanted to start this list with this movie, because I feel like its possibly one of the least known ever and certainly the least on this list. Be warned if you have not seen this movie, is it utterly heart breaking. Unless you're in the mood for a good cry, its best to watch this some other time. And yes, even those of you with the highest testosterone levels WILL cry when you watch this movie.

This film pulls no punches, right from the get go. So be prepared.

Grave of the Fireflies features a story about a young boy and his little sister in the closing days of World War 2. Their mother is killed in one of the many air raids and their father is away at war, his whereabouts unknown. Although they initially find refuge with relatives at first, they are not cared for and viewed a burden and eventually leave of their own accord. They are then forced to fend for themselves, struggling to survive in the grim world around them.

It is a story about innocence lost and about the harsh realities of war and it is relentless in portraying that message. There is no happy ending here, just as there is no happy ending in war. War is Hell and makes causalities of us all.

And yet, even despite the sad and depressing nature of such a film, it poetic and still manages to be beautiful at the same time. The tragic tale at no point feels forced or over the top. And Seita and Setsuo are touching characters that you want to root for until the very end. It is probably one of the best anti-war films ever made in my opinion.

For those of you looking for a visual master piece...look elsewhere. Its not the film's strong suit. And while it is not distracting in any way, there are far better works of animation to be found - including more films on this list. The film definitely shows it age in this regard. Still what the images portray are beautiful and tragic and above all else, powerful. Scenes that are inherently simple, carry so much meaning.

All in all, while it will win no awards for visuals, the story and message this movie has to say is worth hearing at least once in your life.

Princess Mononoke

No Caption Provided

Yeah. You know it was going to come soon or later. No list of great anime films would be complete without a least one (or more) Miyazaki films. In fact I actually had trouble not flooding this blog with just his films - that's how awesome he is.

In yet another film Hayao delivers us a beautiful work of art with terrific visual concepts and fluid animation. And while the animation is certainly very good, the heart and soul of the movie in my opinion lies in its story telling.

Although complex and at times unfamiliar to anyone without a working knowledge base, Princess Mononoke still delivers one of the best stories every told by Miyazaki. The script is powerful and yet subtle at the same time. You can clearly see the concepts being told and yet not once does it ever feel forced, presented in a fantasy world.

Cursed by a demon after defending his village from attack Ashitaka goes on a journey to find a cure for himself, namely by seeking out various Gods featured in the film. During his journey he find himself caught in a war between the beings of the Forest and a mining colony of men and women. He meets and falls in love (don't worry its not over the top) with Mononoke - a girl who had been raised at birth by the wolves.

Like many of his films, Miyazaki explores the theme of man vs nature quiet heavily. The film's conflict between a human settlement who is destroying the environment around them to suit their industrial-like purposes and the Gods of the Forest who seek to persevere their way of life is a dilemma we still face today. The lines of just and unjust are anything but clear in the conflict.

The characters themselves reflect this and are very well rounded. The Forest Gods want their homes left alone and feel as if the humans mining are nothing short of intruders. At the same time the humans depend on the very world around them for survival and must continue harvesting in order to survive. The main character features a mediator between the two sides, trying his best to get them to exist peacefully with one another before they destroy each other.

The movie is definitely powerful in this regard. Its concepts will hit hard and are ever lasting, enough that any adult will enjoy the message being told, but still presented in a fantasy fairy tale that young children can enjoy too. And as such Princess Mononoke is one of the highest grossing anime films in all time - grossing over 150 million dollars when it was released in 1997.

Spirited Away

No Caption Provided

Hayao Miyazaki is the godfather of anime. You're probably tired of hearing of it at this point, but trust me, if you know who he is and has seen what's he's done you know he deserves the praise. Spirited Away is another master piece and one of the most beloved anime films of all time. It is not only the highest grossing film in Japanese history, but also honored with an Academy Award for best animation.

If I had to describe this movie in one word it would be: magical. Every time I watch it, regardless how old I am, or how long its been since previously viewed, I am instantly transported back into my 10 year old self seeing it for the first time. Such is the beauty of the film.

I really don't want to go into details about the plot of the film. Chances are, you've seen this movie (its that great). And if you haven't, I would not want to be the one to rob of you of the experience of watching this movie. Suffice to say the movie is about a young child named Chihiro. She, along with her parents get lost in the process of moving. They stumble upon the Bathhouse of the gods and while her parents get turned into pigs, Chihiro must work in the bathhouse among all the other magical and mystical beings, bother customer and worker alike.

The movie does an unbelievable job taking you on a ride through an epic fairy tale land. And at times, it is nothing short of intoxicating.

Moreover, the music in the film is quite possibly one of the best sound tracks ever made and fits so perfectly with the movie. And I cannot stress enough how much this film needs to be viewed in the original Japanese audio. Just trust me on this one and suck it up if you don't like reading.

This may seem like a short summary that doesn't do the movie justice. And it is, but no summary can. Just take my word for it, or any fan's word for it. This movie is worth seeing. If you do not feel like a child again while watching this movie...I don't know what to tell you. Just sit down, buckle up and prepare to be Spirited Away! (yeah its cliche and I'm lame, screw you!)

Akira

No Caption Provided

If you're even a little bit of an anime fan (and maybe even if you aren't) you know the name. Quite simply one of they most iconic anime films (and manga series) of all time.

Akira is set in a post-apocalyptic (and dystopian) version of Tokyo set in the year 2019 after World War 3. The world as we know it is a scientific wonder and yet political agendas are as corrupt as ever and the people are a torn as they've ever been.

The plot focuses on teenage biker gang members Tetsuo and Kaneda. Things quickly go to hell when Tetsuo is captured, experimented on and starts developing powerful psionic abilities. He quickly is driven insane by his new found power and becomes obsessed with the entity known as Akira, turning the city upside down to find him. Kaneda, the leader of the gang, chases him around said city trying to stop his friend from destroying everyone and everything.

Sound's fun doesn't it? It is. Although the film is very much a cut down version of the Manga (which is over 2000 pages long) its still a good story. At times, especially if you're not a fan of anime or even the cyberpunk genre, it can be hard to follow - or even watch in one setting at times. So why it is a must see?

Simply put, Akira is one of the best anime films ever made in terms of the animation. It is a widely recognized as one of the best pieces of animated work of all time and is as a landmark in Japanese animation.

Keep in mind when watching this film...it was created in 1988. I'm sure half of you reading this blog weren't even born yet. And yet even today - especially if you can get a Blu-Ray copy - the animation of the film will blow you away. The level of detail in the back ground scenery is breathtaking to say the least. And in my personal opinion very few anime, even 25 years later can match the fluidity of the animation itself. It is natural and effortless and is absolutely beautiful to anyone who knows animation. It influences can be seen in hundreds if not thousands of anime that have since followed.

And not just visually. Akira was the one of the first anime to included pre-recorded voice overs. This means the characters lips and facial expressions could be matched to the dialogue after the fact.

Akira success is also credited with propelling the anime genre into its mainstream popularity that is has today, particularity in the western world (namely the US). Prior to Akira most of the world weren't familiar with anime at all. And yet in a single blow the movie introduced the genre to the whole world and proved it was a genre to be taken seriously (something which is still struggling today to a certain degree). Akira's visual prowess, adult themes and post-apocalyptic tones introduced the genre to audiences whose previous experience with the genre probably extended to nothing more than children's shows such as Speed Racer, if even that. Anime's popularity has never been the same since.

I could literally keep going if you wanted. But you get the point by now. Akira is one of the most important films not just in anime history, not just in animated film history but in all of film history - ever. Period. Exclamation point.

The story may not be for every one, featuring dark and political themes with cyberpunk tones - as well as a plethora of cussing and violence - but the legacy this film leaves on the world is more than any other anime to date.

Ghost in the Shell

No Caption Provided

And finally we have my favorite movie on this list. I am a huge cyberpunk fan and Ghost in the Shell has long been the front runner of the genre.

This movie in my opinion is the epitome of excellence when it comes to anime. It sets the standard for which I judge all other anime in terms of story telling, art, animation, audio and so on. In my opinion, no anime before or since compares to Ghost in the Shell.

Ghost in the Shell is set in the near future. Technology reigns supreme. The main character is Mokoto Kusanagi, a cyborg working under a division known as Section 9, an elite police force.

The movie centers around Mokoto and other members of Section 9, hunting down an elite hacker known as a "The Puppet Master", who we later learn is actually a self-aware artificial intelligence.

Not necessarily an original concept by any means - if you're a fan of the Terminator franchise it probably sounds familiar. Ghost in the Shell however examines this phenomenon in more detail than perhaps any science fiction before it. It attempts to question one's understanding of reality, the nature of life and death and what, if such a thing exists, is a soul. The dialogue is intelligent and heavy. Every time I watch the movie I learn a little bit more and enjoy it even more.

Combined one of the most complex and intriguing stories is in my opinion, the most beautiful art and animation ever done in a single piece of anime. The level of detail in this movie can be described as nothing short of "awe". Some of the best scenes in the movie are when the camera is merely panning around the futuristic Hong Kong without anyone speaking or the plot advancing even slightly. People are walking around the streets or working their at their jobs and cars are driving around busily. And despite the technological advancements, the city feels ruin due to its dark and almost run-down appearance. But more-so than anything...it feels alive.

Beyond the beautiful attention to detail is some of the best animation you'll ever witness. It is every bit the animated excellence that fellow film on this list Akira is, and then some, having the benefit of following Akira and seven more years of technology. Ghost in the Shell is simply a visual marvel.

If there is one complaint to make about the movie ...its that is too short. Running under ninety minutes total you just wish there was a little more time to witness the beauty. The plot is also not easy to understand in one viewing and could have benefited from another thirty minutes of exploration. Still, wanting more is not necessarily a bad thing - especially as the franchise has spawned two other movies and two television series.

Ghost in the Shell is simply a movie everyone should see. Its animation is legendary. Its plot and dialogue are deep, complex and as intelligent as you'll ever find. More than just an anime, Ghost in the Shell is simply one of the best movies of all time, period.

---

If you liked this blog let me know and I can and will make more of them with another genres of manga/anime. Feel free to even suggest one.

Thanks! And let me know what you think!

RoyceLunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good list

my must see anime movies, in no particular order, are:

-Nausicaa: The Valley of the Wind

-Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door

-Macross Plus

-Laputa: The Flying Castle

-Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal (techincally it is a 4-part OVA, but combined it is about the length of a movie)

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Yeah I left off Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin because they are part of a franchise they'll probably show up in another top 5 somewhere. I choose GitS over them simply because of my opinion of it.

And the Samuari X OVAs are technically OVAs as you said. Though they are excellent.

Good choices though! Its really hard for me to pick top 5 of anime. I've seen way too many.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Akira & Spirited Away are on you list, so I approve of your list

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofash: It would be a crime to leave them off afaic.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Is Appleseed any good? I saw it when I was like 6, but haven't heard much from it.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@superguy0009e: I Very mecha/action heavy, so if you're not into that you probably won't like it.

Still not an insult to make this list.

Its been a long time since I've seen it though, so I can't give specifics.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved Spirited Away :) Miyazaki is a beast.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk: His resume is ridiculous. You could probably make a top 5 including just his films and no one could complain much.

I still haven't got around to seeing his new film, yet =/

RIKR2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome list dude

i also love Ninja Scroll a lot

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spirited Away earns a instant approval also.

Grave of the Fireflies. The best movie you will never, ever, ever, EVER, want to see again.

This is the most accurate description of this movie ever.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dragonborn_ct:

Yeah....

I hate the scene where Seita finds Setsuko chewing on marbles, thinking they were candy >_<...

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By HeckTate

I'm like the only person I know who enjoy some anime but couldn't get into Akira. I've watched it all the way through once, did not enjoy, and every time I've decided to give it another shot I only get about a half in before I have to go do something else.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Princess Mononoke is one of my favourite anime films so seeing it on here is rather pleasing to me. I should probably venture more into anime films at some point given the quality of this list.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Its a great film. I love man vs nature theme and you never feel like they're trying to shove it down your throat either. Even if you are a kid and such things are beyond you, its still a great story!

@hecktate: Its certainly not for everyone with its story. But what did it in terms of animation makes it a must see IMO.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnightRise

Akira

Gotta give praise to the main man Miyazaki

-Spirited Away

-Princess Mononoke

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.Samaurai Deeper Kyo , Karas -The Revelation, Karas-The Prophecy, Ninja Scroll, Kenshin

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@dragonborn_ct:

Yeah....

I hate the scene where Seita finds Setsuko chewing on marbles, thinking they were candy >_<...

T_______________________T

No Caption Provided

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't care that much for the Akira movie. It was alright at best......

BUT, I absolutely adore the manga. One of my all time favorite comic books from ANY country.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@onemoreposter: The movie does cut out a large part of the story, which is obvious as the manga is pretty big.

but again, its not necessarily the story - which isn't for everyone even in manga form to begin with

its what the movie did in terms of animation. it basically revolutionized anime.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@fallschirmjager: Studio Ghibli is always good with thematic comparisons in their anime IMO.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Fantastic choices in movies my friend! Would also recommend 5 Centimeters Per Second (my favorite anime movie), The Place Promised In Our Early Days, Hotarubi no Mori e and Howl's Moving Castle.

chu42t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chu42t

Isn't Fallschirmjager German for paratrooper? Didn't they make the FG42 for that Purpose? Cool name!

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Darling_Luna

Very nice list kind gent

You should take the time to watch The Girl who leapt through Time

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ninja Scroll

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door

Evangelion

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eisenfauste
CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get over the horrible voice acting in these movies... can you guys do something about that?

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Princess Mononoke mention...nice, was the first anime

Ninja Scroll was second not as good but I love her

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list. Howl's Moving Castle is another that I would reccomend.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Ah man. Do you know how invalid this list would've been if Spirited Away weren't on it? Do you even know!?

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I can't get over the horrible voice acting in these movies... can you guys do something about that?

Show you the door

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Neighbor Totoro? MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO?!?!?!?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Never seen any of these

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez120 said:

Ya really. It took 33 posts before somebody mentioned it?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karas the Prophecy and Karas the Revelation.

Appleseed

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Yuck.

2. Yuck.

3. Yuck.

4. Yuck.

5. Yuck.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice list.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cuddlebear said:

Show you the door

That is not doing something about that... that is doing something about me. See i walk out the door and the voice acting is still awful.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grave of the fireflies is one of my favorites

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMFG NOTI SPAM

*cough*

@chu42t said:

Isn't Fallschirmjager German for paratrooper? Didn't they make the FG42 for that Purpose? Cool name!

Yes to both.

Very nice list kind gent

You should take the time to watch The Girl who leapt through Time

Thanks. I've seen it, its quite good. Just didn't quite make the 5. Would make a 10 easily though

@ostyo said:

@fallschirmjager: Wow, hated all those. XD

You have no taste.

@fallschirmjager Any good action anime films that are english dubbed?

No.

@_gaff_ said:

@jonez120 said:

Ya really. It took 33 posts before somebody mentioned it?

Again. Didn't make my top 5. Would easily make a top 10. Its not like Miyazaki has made anything bad.

Never seen any of these

Loser!

@jaken7 said:

@fallschirmjager: Ah man. Do you know how invalid this list would've been if Spirited Away weren't on it? Do you even know!?

I'm not insane.

Nice list.

Thanks.

Karas the Prophecy and Karas the Revelation.

Appleseed

Don't think I'v eseen Karas, seen Appleseed. Good though I don't consider it great.

Grave of the fireflies is one of my favorites

Its like Schindler's List and whatnot. Movies so great but you can't watch too many times.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@The_Deathstroker: You have terrrrrrrible taste.

Well it is The_Deathstroker so you shouldn't be surprised ;)

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: *Shrugs* Not my cup of tea. Environmental and anti-war crap isn't something I support, and the other films just didn't hold my interest.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@fallschirmjager: *Shrugs* Not my cup of tea. Environmental and anti-war crap isn't something I support, and the other films just didn't hold my interest.

Its not like the movies were made just specifically to tell those messages. Espcially Mononoke. Its an adventure film that happens to have those undertones.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TehStranger

No mention of Kiki's Delivery service yet? That was one of the first anime I ever watched when I was a little kid and I thought it was pretty good.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

@biteme_fanboy: Which Evangelion movie are we talking about here?

Also, I think a good movie to mention is Sword of the Stranger. Which is weirdly underrated.