300 X-Box 360 Manufacturer Employees Plan Mass Suicide

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57357444/xbox-360-workers-reportedly-threaten-mass-suicide/

No Caption Provided

A dissident website is reporting that 300 employees at a plant in China that makes the Xbox 360 threatened earlier this month to commit mass suicide after being denied promised compensation.

The report in anti-government website China Jasmine Revolution (via Want China Times), claims that the protest took place Jan. 2 at a Foxconn plant in Wuhan, China. A tragedy was avoided after the town's mayor got involved and talked the workers out of their threat, the report said. (Another website, Record China, reports that the incident resulted in a plant shutdown.

In addition to Microsoft, Foxconn also builds iPhones, iPods, and MacBooks for Apple. Dell and Hewlett Packard have also sourced products from Foxconn.

In a comment to the website Kotaku, a spokesman for Microsoft said:

"Microsoft takes working conditions in the factories that manufacture its products very seriously, and we are currently investigating this issue. We have a stringent Vendor Code of Conduct that spells out our expectations, and we monitor working conditions closely on an ongoing basis and address issues as they emerge. Microsoft is committed to the fair treatment and safety of workers employed by our vendors, and to ensuring conformance with Microsoft policy."

Over the years, several articles have reported the existence of bleak working conditions at Foxconn. However, Foxconn parent Hon Hai Precision Industries has repeatedly denied forcing employees to work long hours for low pay under stressful conditions. Still, in 2010, 14 Foxconn workers committed suicide amid complaints about the working conditions. (There were reports that Foxconn employees were being required to sign contracts promising not to commit suicide.)

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

China shouldn't be making X-Boxes in the 1st place.

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Trinity-Blue

After learning about the whole bit with Nike and other companies, I'm not even surprised.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By consolemaster001

wow

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Rumble Man

Damn you Apple

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By isaac_clarke

This isn't at all uncommon in China. If you want to watch an excellent bit of contrast between how little value something holds here, compared to elsewhere where it is someone's livelihood - go check out Mardi Gras: Made in China. That documentary would have made Karl Marx giddy given how on the point it is when the communist manifesto.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By dngn4774

Well if I had to build X boxes for spoiled American teenagers all day I'd probably want to kill myself too.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Samimista

I don't even know what to say...

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeanlucpicard

kinda laughed at this...it isn't funy but come on.