24 Rules for Being a Gentleman in 2014

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

Disclaimer: Crazy as it sounds, I didn't write this (gasp). I found this neat article and thought I'd share it with the rest of the class -- it's a pretty interesting and well thought-out set of rules that, honestly, apply to both men and women.

--------------------

The Age of the Gentleman — that semi-imaginary time we all have in our heads where men you actually wanted to sleep with wore fedoras and treated ladies like ladies — might be over, but there’s no reason it can’t come back next year. We just need to set up a few ground rules for being a modern Cary Grant/Paul Newman/Ken Cosgrove. We’ll all be drinking scotch and wearing linen suits again in no time.

1. Have a signature drink that you both can make at home after a long day’s work, and order with effortless swag at any bar you happen to be in. (This means no complicated ingredients and easy substitutes. If it’s a whiskey soda, so be it.)

2. Keep all social media activities to a minimum, because no gentleman engages in things like Twitter fights or passive-aggressive Facebook statuses. It’s just not classy.

3. Hold doors open for everyone, because that’s just a nice thing that you do.

4. Always text back promptly, even if it’s to let someone down gently. The worst thing you can possibly to do someone is leave them hanging so they can torture themselves with worst case scenarios.

5. Own and be able to sufficiently rock at least one suit. Suits are the greatest untapped resource that most men have access to, and can take even the most slovenly 4Chan dweller into slick presentability. You owe it to yourself to know your way around a suit.

6. Master a good handshake, so that you are neither depositing your limp sea slug of a hand on someone else’s palm, nor crushing them with your Rock-Biter-from-the-Neverending-Story force.

7. Never attempt to explain, under any circumstances, why a cat call should be considered a compliment.

8. Do not be afraid of accessorizing, because a pair of nice shoes or a classy watch can Upgrade U almost immediately, as explained in the Beyoncé song.

9. Do not refer to things as “gay” that aren’t homosexual human beings. People who call things “gay” as a pejorative are truly the raisins in the trail mix of life.

10. Do your best not to put others down in order to elevate yourself, it reeks of the people who categorize men by their Greek letter status.

11. Call your mother, even if you have to set up a Google calendar reminder to get yourself to do this.

12. Know how to cook at least a few good meals, because a) there is nothing worse than guys who assume it’s up to the woman to do all the cooking, b) there is nothing sexier than a dude who can cook, and c) everyone deserves to feed themselves well.

13. Make good eye contact, but not so much that it gets into “I’ve been watching you from behind your dumpster” levels.

14. Don’t corner people at house parties with your political views.

15. Erase the word “slut” from your vocabulary.

16. Treat every woman with the same amount of respect and humanity that you would your mother, sister, or daughter — and think about why there might have been conditions on how you treated them in the first place.

17. RSVP.

18. Always put a little money away at the end of each month, and not because you’re saving for anything in particular.

19. Be up-front about your finances, because it’s unfair for anyone to believe in the outdated gender roles of “the man should pay for everything.” As long as you’re working hard and trying your best, you deserve to be honest.

20. Do not sleep with anyone who wants a relationship from you that you are not prepared to give. Using their affection to get something from them physically is easy, but it makes you a bad person.

21. Learn how to dance, at least a bit.

22. Never underestimate the great value of unexpected flowers on a day that is otherwise nothing special, especially in long-term relationships.

23. Don’t be afraid of selfies, guys have just as much a right to look and feel good about themselves as anyone else. If you want a selfie, take a selfie! Just don’t be a dick about other people who like to do it, too.

24. Be compassionate, and know that you are allowed to experience the full range of human emotion. Where the gentleman of our grandparents’ generation might have prided himself on keeping all of his feelings in check for fear of seeming ‘feminine,’ a real gentleman knows that the best thing about him is his ability to be kind and empathetic. Everything else — yes, even the suit — is just icing on the cake.

-----------------

Source -- Thought Catalog

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I was going to address each one individually but quickly learned I'm no gentlemen.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Emperorb777

I already do most of everything on that list except number 16 no woman that I'm not married to could ever be on the same lvl as my mother.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rogueshadow  Moderator

I'm English, so by default I am a gentleman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm rocking pretty solid. These apply to me:

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see these and know that there are a few I could use work on.

Zokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this gay article you sluts are reading?

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperDrummer

I disagree with this list... Idk, I don't think there are 24 rules. I think its much simpler.

1) Loyalty: Never forget those who help you.

2) Forgiveness: Everyone has a story, and everyone makes mistakes. Just because someone does something wrong doesn't mean that they are bad, and maybe they just need a second chance.

3) Be Courteous to People: Duh, don't be a jerk. Its pretty simple, you don't know who will be special to you in thirty years, or really thirty seconds. Besides, do you really need that excuse?

4) Be Presentable: Hold yourself to a certain standard. It feels good to look good, and its easy to be confident when you look confident. This has nothing to do with anyone else, this is purely for you. This includes things such as language.

5) Work to Improve: Every second in your life is a chance to learn, reflect, improve, or relax to help future improvement. There is no staying the same, you are either actively getting better or actively getting worse, because I can guarantee you someone somewhere is taking this moment to become better.

6) Find an Art: Everyone needs something. Music, Drawing, Sports, Weight lifting, Dancing, Writing, Debating, you need a way to express yourself.

7) Look Like an Idiot: Rush life head on, live in the moment. Yes, hold yourself to a certain standard, but at the same time don't be afraid to have fun. Because looking back in five to thirty years, these are the moments you will remember and cherish.

8) Be Open-Minded: Don't be set in your old ways, and be willing to accept that you might be wrong.

9) Let People Know: No one cares if you're classy if they don't know. Live life with people, meet people, and learn from people. And who knows, they might learn from you.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is there 24 rules for being a lady as well? Ha ha.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By wildvine

We don't need that many rules. : P

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Mate I'm from Scotland and we put the crumpets in tea party. Oh that's right I went there.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

you forgot to not call girls beached whales....

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with this list... Idk, I don't think there are 24 rules. I think its much simpler.

1) Loyalty: Never forget those who help you.

2) Forgiveness: Everyone has a story, and everyone makes mistakes. Just because someone does something wrong doesn't mean that they are bad, and maybe they just need a second chance.

3) Be Courteous to People: Duh, don't be a jerk. Its pretty simple, you don't know who will be special to you in thirty years, or really thirty seconds. Besides, do you really need that excuse?

4) Be Presentable: Hold yourself to a certain standard. It feels good to look good, and its easy to be confident when you look confident. This has nothing to do with anyone else, this is purely for you. This includes things such as language.

5) Work to Improve: Every second in your life is a chance to learn, reflect, improve, or relax to help future improvement. There is no staying the same, you are either actively getting better or actively getting worse, because I can guarantee you someone somewhere is taking this moment to become better.

6) Find an Art: Everyone needs something. Music, Drawing, Sports, Weight lifting, Dancing, Writing, Debating, you need a way to express yourself.

7) Look Like an Idiot: Rush life head on, live in the moment. Yes, hold yourself to a certain standard, but at the same time don't be afraid to have fun. Because looking back in five to thirty years, these are the moments you will remember and cherish.

8) Be Open-Minded: Don't be set in your old ways, and be willing to accept that you might be wrong.

9) Let People Know: No one cares if you're classy if they don't know. Live life with people, meet people, and learn from people. And who knows, they might learn from you.

Your rules make more sense.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

But if you did the article should be written by a man.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Obviously I am not a gentlemen.

1. My signature drink is a beer or a shot of whiskey

2. I can get behind this.

3. I always do.

4. I'm always prompt and direct with my texts, not out of manners just to make sure I don't get 30 more texts from people I didn't want to talk to anyway.

5. Nope, I find them uncomfortable and I hate ties.

6. Done, tho if shaking the hand of a particularly smug person I will intentionally crunch.

7. Okay.

8. As long as I like my shoes I don't care what others think of them because they're shoes.

9. I don't unless said thing heavily implies homosexual activity, for instance if a bunch of duded go to a party and all end up naked at some point without any women then I will say its a gay party.

10. I don't put people down to elevate myself, at worst its just to drag them down to my level.

11. My mother forgot my birthday 5 times, I don't sweat not calling her regularly.

12. I know how to cook, if I didn't my family would starve since my wife can barely cook soup. But she is awesome in other respects( And no I am not talking dirty)

13. I only make direct eye contact with those I wish to speak to, and I don't like speaking to most people.

14. I can get behind this.

15. I use the word slut but not in a gender specific manner, many guys are very much sluts. Basically any person who averages more than 4 different partners in your average 5 day period qualifies for this male or female.

16. I'm always respectful of anyone who doesn't go out of their way to prove they don't deserve it.

17. I usually do when I get invited.

18. This is more common sense than gentlemanly behavior.

19. Oh I'm pretty upfront with finances, tho I'm married so she already knows when I'm broke. Often before even I know I'm broke.

20. It would be bad for me to sleep with anyone aside from my wife for any reason.

21. I can fake it.

22. Oh, I don't.

23. I don't do selfies but I don't disparage those who do unless its like those dicks that post "funny" selfies from funerals.

24. The people who know me, know how I'm feeling most the time. No reason to make a big thing out of it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@wildvine said:

I have no objection to that. For all I know this article was written by a man.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nelomaxwell

@wildvine said:

@nelomaxwell said:
@wildvine said:

I have no objection to that. For all I know this article was written by a man.

Chelsea Fagan may be a man, lemme google.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This is Chelsey Fagan. (Looks like a less attractive version of the girl I'm dating.)

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

If I remove the word slut from my vocabulary, how do I refer to my second ex-wife? Don't say "with respect." That ship was hijacked by Black Manta and sank off the coast of Florida.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yawn... Not another list on how men should be.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I guess this a joke.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cream_God

@joygirl said:

Disclaimer: Crazy as it sounds, I didn't write this (gasp). I found this neat article and thought I'd share it with the rest of the class -- it's a pretty interesting and well thought-out set of rules that, honestly, apply to both men and women.

--------------------

The Age of the Gentleman — that semi-imaginary time we all have in our heads where men you actually wanted to sleep with wore fedoras and treated ladies like ladies — might be over, but there’s no reason it can’t come back next year. We just need to set up a few ground rules for being a modern Cary Grant/Paul Newman/Ken Cosgrove. We’ll all be drinking scotch and wearing linen suits again in no time.

1. Have a signature drink that you both can make at home after a long day’s work, and order with effortless swag at any bar you happen to be in. (This means no complicated ingredients and easy substitutes. If it’s a whiskey soda, so be it.)

2. Keep all social media activities to a minimum, because no gentleman engages in things like Twitter fights or passive-aggressive Facebook statuses. It’s just not classy.

3. Hold doors open for everyone, because that’s just a nice thing that you do.

4. Always text back promptly, even if it’s to let someone down gently. The worst thing you can possibly to do someone is leave them hanging so they can torture themselves with worst case scenarios.

5. Own and be able to sufficiently rock at least one suit. Suits are the greatest untapped resource that most men have access to, and can take even the most slovenly 4Chan dweller into slick presentability. You owe it to yourself to know your way around a suit.

6. Master a good handshake, so that you are neither depositing your limp sea slug of a hand on someone else’s palm, nor crushing them with your Rock-Biter-from-the-Neverending-Story force.

7. Never attempt to explain, under any circumstances, why a cat call should be considered a compliment.

8. Do not be afraid of accessorizing, because a pair of nice shoes or a classy watch can Upgrade U almost immediately, as explained in the Beyoncé song.

9. Do not refer to things as “gay” that aren’t homosexual human beings. People who call things “gay” as a pejorative are truly the raisins in the trail mix of life.

10. Do your best not to put others down in order to elevate yourself, it reeks of the people who categorize men by their Greek letter status.

11. Call your mother, even if you have to set up a Google calendar reminder to get yourself to do this.

12. Know how to cook at least a few good meals, because a) there is nothing worse than guys who assume it’s up to the woman to do all the cooking, b) there is nothing sexier than a dude who can cook, and c) everyone deserves to feed themselves well.

13. Make good eye contact, but not so much that it gets into “I’ve been watching you from behind your dumpster” levels.

14. Don’t corner people at house parties with your political views.

15. Erase the word “slut” from your vocabulary.

16. Treat every woman with the same amount of respect and humanity that you would your mother, sister, or daughter — and think about why there might have been conditions on how you treated them in the first place.

17. RSVP.

18. Always put a little money away at the end of each month, and not because you’re saving for anything in particular.

19. Be up-front about your finances, because it’s unfair for anyone to believe in the outdated gender roles of “the man should pay for everything.” As long as you’re working hard and trying your best, you deserve to be honest.

20. Do not sleep with anyone who wants a relationship from you that you are not prepared to give. Using their affection to get something from them physically is easy, but it makes you a bad person.

22. Never underestimate the great value of unexpected flowers on a day that is otherwise nothing special, especially in long-term relationships.

23. Don’t be afraid of selfies, guys have just as much a right to look and feel good about themselves as anyone else. If you want a selfie, take a selfie! Just don’t be a dick about other people who like to do it, too.

24. Be compassionate, and know that you are allowed to experience the full range of human emotion. Where the gentleman of our grandparents’ generation might have prided himself on keeping all of his feelings in check for fear of seeming ‘feminine,’ a real gentleman knows that the best thing about him is his ability to be kind and empathetic. Everything else — yes, even the suit — is just icing on the cake.

-----------------

Source -- Thought Catalog

1) i only drink on occasions so no

2) already do

3) already do

4) already do

5) have alot already

6) already done

7) i never do

8) thats the norm for me

9) i dont

10) i dont

11) i live iwith her :,(

12) i make bomb Chorizo and mac & cheese

13) i try lol

14) i dont

15) i use the term "individual with bad parents"

16) already do

17) .....alright

18) already do

19) im unemployed :/ (though working at getting my fitness certificate)

20) i strongly believe in waiting while

21) im from Cali, dancing is in our DNA

22) i grow them for a reason lol

23) that conflicts with #2 :/

24) already am

My Results..........im a.......

Loading Video...

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this gay article you sluts are reading?

Alright, that was pretty good.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F%ck being a gentleman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the sandwiches get made...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28 JediXMan  Moderator

Done implies that I already have this stuff down.

I feel quite good about myself, actually.

1. Does wine count? If so, done.
  2. Done.
  3. Done.
  4. Eh… I’m trying to shake my procrastinating habits.
  5. I have a couple suits, which I wear almost daily, because it has become a part of my style. I like to have a professional, classical appearance.
  6. Done.
  7. Done.
  8. I wear a fedora and pocket watch whenever I leave my home. Done.
  9. Done.
  10. Done… for the most part. Not for self-elevation, but just because I can be mean sometimes.
  11. Done.
  12. Working on it. Again, lazy.
  13. Done.
  14. Done.
  15. Done.
  16. Done.
  17. Again, procrastination. Working on it.
  18. Done.
  19. Done.
  20. Done.
  21. Done.
  22. Done.
  23. … eh… I prefer other types of photographs. Selfies are just too impersonal and generic. Not necessarily against them, though.
  24. Done.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

F*ck no on these.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

When men and women stop being sluts then and only then will the word "slut" be deleted.

Most of these have nothing to do with being a gentlemen.

And LOL at Yokergeist!

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I would read this list but, I'm married. Me and the wife are very open, so if I'm being a d*ck she'd say "hey, you're being a d*ck, cut the sh*t" and I'd cut the sh*t. Likewise, I'd do the same for her. Keep each other happy, and do what makes you both happy. There isn't a set of "rules". These articles always amuse me. Usually they're divorcees who are bitter at the opposite sex, be them male or female.

Be you, find someone who likes you for you. That's the person you should be with, no rules necessary! Print that f*ckin article.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XLR87T3

@wildvine said:

Yeah, you do. :P

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By CaptainUzi

Proud to say that I acknowledge and regularly perform 23/24 of these rules

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

most of these aren't really being a gentleman.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

@joygirl said:

17. RSVP.

5) The suit's a handicap, but it tends to work on the wrong types of people anyway. Anyone who's interested in you with the suit but would ignore or disdain you without it isn't worth the time and effort.

8) Same as 5

17) "Scheduling" is one of the most boring words in the English language, almost as much as "routine." So I don't RSVP because I honestly don't know where I'll be on that specific date a month from now

21) Or get with someone who likes metal and when you go to concerts you can push people for them.

23) No thanks. My online "friends" don't need to see my narcissism every time it comes up. If you're confident in who you are you don't need to spend time indulging these trivial aspects of yourself.

The rest is solid. I need to get cracking on my signature drink.