#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio

1. A great premise- it was original, it was dark and gritty in the good way and was rife with possibilities that it didn't really get a chance to fully explore.

2. It had real consequences- Despite it being a Disney cartoon it actually showed the effects of what was going on, people actually died and bled and went to the hospital and lost their jobs, not all the endings were happy.

3. It was open for expansion- Despite only running for 78 episodes their were at least a dozen potential spin-offs.

4. Great villains- Xanatos was probably one of the best recurring villains on TV at the time, he was pretty unique in the fact that despite being a villain he wasn't vengeful and had a sense of honor which is rare among cartoon villains, Macbeth was possibly the most complex and sympathetic villains that's ever been on a cartoon just for kids. They had some villains that sucked granted but for the most part the villains were just as fully formed as the heroes.

5. Great supporting cast- They had police that were actually competent (Very rare for a Super hero show not set in Gotham city), even the random characters that popped up for one episode and were never seen again got some level of proper development.

6. Deep mythology-The show dealt with Gods, and magic in a way that was relatively unique at the time, possibly the only show to ever suppose science was a true equal to real magic. Shakespeare was a huge influence on the show and they did a fairly good job of integrating those characters into this world in a way that never felt shoe-horned.

7. Great main cast- The heroes were of course bad ass but they were also fallible and made mistakes but unlike many shows where the characters would make the same mistakes over and over, they actually learned and changed.

8. Goliath- was as awesome as Batman (Don't care what anyone says, you can't change my opinion on this.)

9. The last season was a slap in the face to the creators and ruined what they had built and it deserves better.

10. Because it would make me very happy. (Okay I only had 9 big reasons.)

#2 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

These are all pretty good reasons. Too bad that it would get cancelled as soon as it reached its momentum like so many great shows recently.

But seriously, I would really want to see them back so bad...

#3 Edited by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Totally agree about Goliath being as awesome as Batman. I would love to see that cartoon either rebooted or continued. It would probably have to be a reboot for it to happen. I think it had a short comic series that continued where the series left off. It would be nice to see a company like IDW pick them up and start a new series with them. I would be a kid again when they did the first TMNT and Gargoyles cross-over.

#4 Posted by russellmania77 (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

duck tales and dark wing duck should be revived as well

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: a Reboot might work better since if they continued from where they left off they'd have the stain of the crappy third season.

#6 Posted by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Ya, is that where they went back to the medieval times or something?

#7 Posted by waezi2 (7704 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by russellmania77 (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: oh really, is it more hardcore than the cartoon? lol

#9 Posted by Ms. Omega (4479 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG yes this show does need a reboot.

#10 Edited by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

There was actually numerous spin offs planned. One of the younger Gargoyles (Brooklyn?) was supposed to use the Phoenix gate for his own adventures. King Arthur and Grif were supposed to build a new Camelot in Antarctica.

One amazing aspect show I always felt was character progression. The villains just didn't stay bland villains forever, I mean sure, in the X-Men cartoon of the time and Batman the villains were far from one dimensional, but they still just stayed bad guys throughout the shows run just trying to do bad guy things every season. In Gargoyles all the villains went trough changes, Xanatos didn't always play the bad guy, Demona was worthy of redemption several times, The Pack broke up and they all went different directions, some becoming heroes and some remaining bad. Coldstone wasn't even that evil to begin with. The show had endless great qualities.

#11 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (10173 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Gargoyles.

#12 Posted by waezi2 (7704 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Vortex13 (12252 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I freaking loved that show. Honestly at this point I'd just be happy with the whole series being released on DVD lol.

It was one of those rare shows that started out strong and stayed strong. And I'm sorry but you are wrong about Goliath being as awesome as batman. Goliath is about five times as awesome as batman. Deal with it batman fans. =P

#14 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: do you really think a reboot could ever do justice to the original?

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: Season 3 was when the original show runners left and they turned it into a standard Saturday morning cartoon. It was one of the biggest drops in quality I've ever seen, it went from the awesome Hunter's Moon arc at the end of season 2 to Lexington going baby sitting and Xanatos completely lost his balls.

#18 Edited by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: I think it could be done really well, it wouldn't have to be a cartoon series and I could think of plenty of comic writers that could do very well with it.

#19 Edited by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: Season 3 was when the original show runners left and they turned it into a standard Saturday morning cartoon. It was one of the biggest drops in quality I've ever seen, it went from the awesome Hunter's Moon arc at the end of season 2 to Lexington going baby sitting and Xanatos completely lost his balls.

Been a while. I can't quite remember all of the stories.

#20 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17848 posts) - - Show Bio

There was actually numerous spin offs planned. One of the younger Gargoyles (Brooklyn?) was supposed to use the Phoenix gate for his own adventures. King Arthur and Grif were supposed to build a new Camelot in Antarctica.

One amazing aspect show I always felt was character progression. The villains just didn't stay bland villains forever, I mean sure, in the X-Men cartoon of the time and Batman the villains were far from one dimensional, but they still just stayed bad guys throughout the shows run just trying to do bad guy things every season. In Gargoyles all the villains went trough changes, Xanatos didn't always play the bad guy, Demona was worthy of redemption several times, The Pack broke up and they all went different directions, some becoming heroes and some remaining bad. Coldstone wasn't even that evil to begin with. The show had endless great qualities.

Yup. Brooklyn was suppose to have a time-traveling spinoff IIRC.

But yeah. Bring it back. One of my favorite cartoons growing up.

#21 Edited by joshmightbe (24907 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by xlab3000 (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

Gargoyles was one of the best cartoons I'd seen

#23 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7035 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney XD used to show Gargoyle reruns late at night before :D

Too bad they stopped.