NYCC 2014: Marvel’s Cup O’ Joe Panel

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It just wouldn't be Comic-Con without Marvel's Cup O'Joe panel, now would it? Every year, Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada takes to the stage to make some announcements and answer questions from the fans. This year, it was a packed scene as Tom Breevoort, Jordan D. White, Brian Michael Bendis, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Gerry Duggan, Sam Humphries, Dan Slott, Adam Kubert, Axel Alonso, Mike Marts and Dan Buckley joined Quesada on the stage. Now, let's recap all of the good stuff.

No Caption Provided
  • Opens with discussing The Black Vortex, a Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men crossover which arrives February 2015. It'll be a big cosmic event and incorporate more than just those two teams. Ed McGuinness will illustrate the opening chapter. The Black Vortex can “unlock the cosmic potential inside of anyone.” Sam says it shows characters dealing with whether they want to submit to the Black Vortex to unlock their full potential. Gerry says Nova has one job during this story and mistakes will be made. Relationship between Kitty Pryde and Star-Lord will be “sorely tested” by this one.
  • STAR WARS: KANAN, by Greg Weisman and Pepe Larraz, announced. “Bridging the gap between Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels.” Goes on sale in April 2015.
  • Tom: “SECRET WARS is the biggest thing we’ve ever done.” He also called it, “huge and daunting and excellent.”
  • Tom: THOR #2 will give us a better sense of who’s under the helmet; more clues as well.
  • OPERATION S.I.N. announced. It's by Kathryn Immonen and Rich Ellis; begins in January. Takes place in the '50s and focuses on Peggy Carter, Howard Stark and Woodrow McCord.
  • MAXIMUM RIDE: FIRST FLIGHT announced. Arrives Spring 2015 and is by Marguerite Bennett and Alex Sanchez. Will consist of 5 issues.
  • Question time!
  • "RunawaysDarkhawkthe Hood. Where are they?" Answers: Runaway characters aren’t a team anymore but they are popping up in different places and others will be popping up. We know you guys love ‘em and want ‘em. So who knows? We’ll see. Can’t comment on Darkhawk and the Hood was in Original Sin.
  • "Can we expect more of Cyclops?" Answer: The best – or possibly the worst – has yet to come. We’re not done with Cyclops’ story, not by a long shot.
  • "Scarlet Spider… will we see more of Kaine?" Answer he is all over Spider-verse. ASM #9 has a big Kaine moment. Slott jokes that, "we’re not killing him… yet. Yet!"
  • "Will Peter see Spider-Gwen?" Slott: ASM 9. You’ll see soon!
  • ·"Why does the current Punisher run ignore how [Greg] Rucka’s story ended (e.g. Frank locked up)? Answer: we will address it. There’s no immediate plans, but we’re aware and we will.
STAR WARS: KANAN #1
STAR WARS: KANAN #1

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

During the panel they also teased Darkhawk has a cosmic tie-in.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

There is some interesting stuff coming from Marvel.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

....Really? yet another event?

Although since Marvel does have a lot of cosmic comics out right now, and they really want to expand on that, so it does make sense. I'm guessing since they are trying to slowly move away from X-Men, they want X fans to experience more of Marvel's other comics.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

LET'S GO MARVEL LET'S GO!

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: seems more in line with the Trial of Jean Grey. With one of it's own issues I guess.

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

always a good day when Kaine gets a mention. Excited to see whats in store for my fav spider! :D

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarlet_spider_forever: you know they're gonna kill em right? I HOPE they don't b/c he's my favorite spider character atm.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last Scarlet Spider was still the best Marvel series in recent history. Also, can we just forget that Kitty and Quill are dating? Can't she just go back to dating mutants?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By micah007123

Looks like we get to see Kanan during Order 66, I'm so hyped.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You had one job Sam....one job.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I guess Peter and Kitty is one of Bendis's pet romances, similar to how Luke Cage and Jessica Jones where. I would rather see Kitty paired up with half a dozen other characters then Star Lord it just does not make sense story wise other then the same writer writes both books.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'm super-excited for Star Wars: Kanan, Kanan has quickly become one of my favorite new Star Wars characters and seeing more of his past and exploring what lead to the man we see in both A New Dawn and Rebels is something I look forward to seeing!!! ^__^

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least the Rocket Raccoon series isn't involved in this crossover event.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great to see Kitty Pryde :) Now all we need Kitty Pryde ongoing. Who need Squirrel Girl when we can get Kitty Pryde

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By lagozzino

"Opens with discussing The Black Vortex, a Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men crossover..."

No Caption Provided

Cool it with the crossover events for a while, guys. Just... come on

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

MARVEL: MORE MEDIOCRE CROSSOVERS AND EVENTS!!!!!!!!! -_-

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Yeeeey, I see Marvel have yet another crossover and event up their sleeve. How awesome is that,a?

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KASPERCOLE

As much as I like the Marvel cinematic universe and Guardians of the Galaxy, I have no interest in Marvel's space/galactic comic book stories and haven't purchased any of their crossover stories since being burned by the horrible, pointless Age of Ultron crossover a few years back. At this point, the only Marvel character I can read right now is Daredevil (and Superior Spiderman if they ever find a way to bring Spock back after SpiderVerse). So thank you Marvel for keeping some much needed money in my pocket. Daredevil, DC, and Valiant all the way baby!

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

All I ask is that they don't ruin the Star Wars comics, please don't drop the ball.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Excited for another Star Wars book, and this one is set in a great period. Really hope Star Wars does well at Marvel.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

The Kaine comment has me VERY uneasy.

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 6

Ah, Comic-Cons and the news that comes from it....

Butt Hurt, Butt Hurts as far as the eye can see.

I suppose if the sandwich place continued to do sandwiches, that'd be totally lame and selling out because...hey, why do more sandwiches? Yeah, they sell pretty well, but I want a freakin' burger, right?

Comics = Making Money. If you don't make money, you don't make comics. A crossover is a crossover. You don't like it? Don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you.

I myself will read, and if I don't enjoy, I will quietly take it off the pull list without telling the universe how sick I am crossovers or Dr Strange becoming a Camel, or Star-Lord turning into a Kree-Skrull hybrid.

What I am sick of is people commenting on every bleedin' post about how dissatisfied they are with everything. Does this mean you sit outside the houses of people you don't like telling them how rubbish they are? Or does it mean the internet gives you a massive entitlement to basically whinge endless about stuff what you don't like.

Blah blah. I look forward to all of it.

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm in the minority on this site, but i love events. I skip tye 1s I have no interest in, only grab the 1s involving the books I already get. So they do get a few extra books out of me, but what's that? $6 a wk during the event? Maybe $8? I'm cool with that if I'm enjoying the story. Infinity was epic, battle of the Atom was good, haven't read Axis but I loved the lead up and looking forward to it. Secret wars on the way. All good for me. Now a marvel reboot? That's horrifying....

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bkole: Totally agree with you man, they would not do it if they didn't make money. And yea I do get a little event fatigue myself, but I just don't buy it if I'm not into it. And half the events people bitch about being so bad are not even that bad, they just are not awesome.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultronmk7: Until they actually reboot, like full on New 52 universe wide reboot? I'm not to worried about it lol, people say it every single event and it never happens.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#28  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

Nothing big happening for Daredevil. Excellent! I like my comics without crossovers.

I'm interested in the Thor story and Spider-Gwen.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultronmk7: Until they actually reboot, like full on New 52 universe wide reboot? I'm not to worried about it lol, people say it every single event and it never happens.

Honestly for DC reboots are standard so while Nu52 was sad it wasn't awful... rebooting Marvel would kill me honestly and I hate to be that guy but in all honesty I'd lose a lot of interest in all their books. Unless they execute it really well (which I doubt) I hope they stick with the Great NOW! setup.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

really you complain again? suprise. stop reading comics bro, you dont like anything.