• 46 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The loss of Damian Wayne was devastating. Batman had an incredibly rough time as he went through the five stages of grief and, even though the tragedy is something he'll never fully recover from, he was finally able to start moving forward once again. Well, so much for emotional progress because the chance to bring his child back to life has presented itself yet again! Damian's body has been taken to Apokolips and an object called the Chaos Shard allegedly holds the potential to resurrect him. The Dark Knight has stepped into a spiffy new armor and he's going to stop at nothing to get his son back. We're anxious to see what'll happen next, but in the meantime, we were fortunate enough to chat with writer Peter J. Tomasi about the story.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: We'll begin with a very important question. If the Chaos Shard does not bring Damian back, can you please use it to bring back Nobody? He was such an awesome character!

PETER TOMASI: *laughs* Let's just say this... we're thinking alike. Let's just leave it at that.

CV: Fair enough! So, how long have you been putting this story together?

PT: Probably close to 3 years; it's been awhile. We knew the plans as they were coming with Robin. So once we knew that was happening, it was time for Pat [Gleason] and I to work out the way we wanted to deal with the loss and obviously keep the book running. Even though it may not say "Batman and Robin" on the cover for a few issues, his presence was always omnipresent. Robin didn't have to be there on the page to feel that he was making things happen; making Batman do what he was doing and all that kind of stuff.

CV: Yeah, the silent issue was absurdly powerful. I have no issue admitting the panel of Batman clutching Robin's costume made me tear up the first time I saw it.

PT: Yeah, it made me tear up when I saw the art come in. Pat just drew the hell out of it, captured everything I wanted him to, and just did an awesome job. Like I've said before, I've had a lot of people literally start crying at tables. Even today, they were choking up talking about that issue, so it's pretty cool to be able to move people. Over the last couple of years, I feel like I've gotten this rep for making people cry when they read books. I did this thing in [FINAL CRISIS:] REQUIEM with Martian Manhunter where Batman places the Oreo cookie. People were like bawling at my table. And then with issue 18 of BATMAN AND ROBIN it was one of those same things that really moved people. As a writer, when you're all by yourself all day and you get that reaction from people, there's nothing better!

CV: The last time we saw Batman he was in his armor and bringing the fight to Apokolips. I know you obviously can't reveal too much about the story, so if you had to tease fans about what's coming up in 5 words or less, what would you tell them?

PT: A shitload of action! Yeah, we've had a lot of interpersonal and dramatic stuff happening, but once we get to Apokolips, Pat and I really wanted to kick the doors off and it is action time. It's Batman being proactive, kicking-ass, and he wants what he wants. No more talking.

CV: We've seen Batman wear a lot of different armors before. I know you can't reveal any special surprises this one may have in store for us, but what helps this stand apart from the rest? Is this thing going to allow him to take on Darkseid?!

PT: That's a good question, I guess you'll just have to wait to see! As we showed, it was forged in the sun by Supes, the other JL guys helped, but yeah, we kept saying, "what can this suit do? Let's go crazy!" We wanted it to be big and epic and go Grant Morrison on it!

No Caption Provided

CV: What's the collaboration process like with Gleason?

PT: I hired him as an artist when he was a kid many, many years ago. We're in tune, man. Like, when you're in sync with an artist, you just are. We get on the phone, we riff, we have fun. We talk about story, I ask him what he wants to see and I tell him about cool stuff I want to do. We're Batman and Robin. I'm Batman, of course.

CV: Which Robin would he be?

PT: I would sayhe's Damian! It's a really great working relationship. That book wouldn't be anywhere near as good if I didn't have Pat Gleason drawing it.

CV: Not including your work, what's your favorite Damian scene?

PT: I like that bit in BATMAN AND ROBIN when he had a crowbar and him and Joker went at it. I love that scene.

CV: Let's end this with a fun one. If you had the opportunity to write a crossover with Batman and Captain America and the two just couldn't see eye-to-eye and had to duke it out, how would you make it play out? They're beyond talking, standing in a city street and it's go time.

PT: Batman will win. I love Cap though, but it'll be a very trying fight. I think there will be tricks and trades here and there, but I think it would be an awesome fight and Batman would have to pull it out in the end. I think Batman would take him out. Unfortunately, Cap would be on the ground in the end.

CV: Thanks, Peter!

No Caption Provided

BATMAN AND ROBIN #35 goes on sale 10/15.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm just going to say it, I think the Hellbat is stupid, it seems like something a 6th grader would come up with. Who knows, maybe that's Tomasi's way of making an in joke about fans.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Tomasi better get in the Hellbat suit b/c he's gonna start a flame war with the Cap vs Bat remark lol. Honestly idk which suit i like better, Tomasi's Hellbat suit or Synder's JL Buster suit.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blackhawk000111

I'm just going to say it, I think the Hellbat is stupid, it seems like something a 6th grader would come up with. Who knows, maybe that's Tomasi's way of making an in joke about fans.

IMHO Hellbat is a brilliant Idea.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackhawk000111: I think the idea of taking a little bit from each Justice League member is very unoriginal and kind of lazy (no offense Mr. Tomasi) I'm not kidding when I say it sounds like something a 6th grader made up because he thought it sounded cool. It's also lazy writing for Batman to just reveal the League has always had something that powerful that was never mentioned before, it's basically a mechanical Deus ex machina. However like I said I feel like maybe Tomasi may be making an in joke at some of the crazy fan ideas some people come up with.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@captainmarvel4ever: oh well maybe you just upset about Cyborg thing. Hellbat suit is great idea. A suit that created by whole JL members. Well when Scott Snyder write Endgame you seem doesn't angry but when come to Peter Tomasi make Batman beat JL you upset. Why ? Just curious ?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Peter Tomasi. If Geoff Johns leave JL, I want Scott Snyder and Peter Tomasi to take over

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: I was upset about that, but something tells me Snyder is smart enough to write something clever.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RustyRoy
@the_tree said:

This is the Bat-book I'm most excited about. I need Damian back.

This. And I want Damian back as Robin.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Superman,Flash,Doom,Hulk etc these guys are also something a 6th grader would come up with and this pretty much applies to every superhero character(not comic book,just superhero). Bottom line these characters are all designed to appeal to a 12 year olds definition of awesome.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Those character are well written and were well conceived. Hover you make a good point about the 12 year old thing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Those character are well written and were well conceived. Hover you make a good point about the 12 year old thing.

Hellbat hasn't been used though and its conceived to aid a human stand a chance against Gods,doesn't seem so out of place.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I will give them that, but I think a survival/stealth retrieval story of Batman on Apokolips.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't this hellbat suit kind of them admitting batman is not actually able to hang with the big boys? I mean, he has always refused help from league members in the past, yet he seems to have agreed to let them all make him a suit. This suit would be the only way he will beat Cap!

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno: well Iron Man, Lex Luthor all have robotic suit to fight gods

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

Isn't this hellbat suit kind of them admitting batman is not actually able to hang with the big boys? I mean, he has always refused help from league members in the past, yet he seems to have agreed to let them all make him a suit. This suit would be the only way he will beat Cap!

Excuse me? you think Batman needs this to beat another street level character?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

But when was the last time they actually worked? Stark's Hulkbuster armor's usually only last him part of the fight before Hulk rips them apart. And the same is true for Luthor's, they are never enough to actually put him on Superman's level.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellbat vs darkseid!!!

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: A deus ex machina Is some thing that comes out of nowhere at the end of the story and resolves the conflict or gets the hero out of a bind (like batman using the rive in the death of the family)the halbat suit isn't a deus ex machina it's being introduced at the beginning of the story.

Also the hell-bat suit does look stupid to me too

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Nice, this is looking like a top quality storyline. Tomasi has really made Batman and Robin the best of the Bat Books IMO, Snyder's run can be overrated even with what Snyder does right in his storytelling. In contrast, Tomasi's run is very underrated and Born to Kill is one of the best Batman stories in the past few years.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

In contrast, Tomasi's run is very underrated and Born to Kill is one of the best Batman stories in the past few years.

I re-read it and 'The Pearl' yesterday. I miss Damian so much.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really not a fan of the Hellbat.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By redwingx

This is stupid. Batman would never do anything like this. Why not bring back his parents while hes at it.

Also don't freaking bring back Damian. He is a terrible char and should never have been cannon.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for this to come out next week!

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By batcat91

@lvenger: I'm a big Snyder fan but I do kind of agree with you. For the most part I think his run is great but some people tend to really overhype it. If i'm recommending movies or books I usually downplay it so expectations are not really high lol.

Yeah Tomasi is underrated and Born to Kill is one of my favorite Batman stories.

@outside_85 said:

@boynerdgeek said:

But when was the last time they actually worked? Stark's Hulkbuster armor's usually only last him part of the fight before Hulk rips them apart. And the same is true for Luthor's, they are never enough to actually put him on Superman's level.

Well we can't really make judgements until the issue comes out. For all we know his suit will be destroyed or rendered non-functional during his trip in Apocalypse. It also seems like the most likely scenario. I'm sure it's going to showcase the suit's capabilities but it won't be enough in a place as dangerous as Apocalypse.

The sheer irony in this statement...

Anyway Peter J. Tomasi is a fantastic Batman writer. He's consistently written quality stories and really enjoyed the portrayal of his Batman and Robin. He really adds a depth to their relationship and makes me see why Bruce would go to such extreme lengths to save Damian. The only low points, well at least for me anyway were the 2 face arc and Arkham War. But otherwise he's had a great run

Keep doing your thing Tomasi and hope you stay in Batman & Robin for a long time!! Gleason too!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Really enjoying this so far. Hellbat is a great idea and probably a tribute to the Insider Suit Morrison created.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian_raindrop1 said:

@captainmarvel4ever: A deus ex machina Is some thing that comes out of nowhere at the end of the story and resolves the conflict or gets the hero out of a bind (like batman using the rive in the death of the family)the halbat suit isn't a deus ex machina it's being introduced at the beginning of the story.

Also the hell-bat suit does look stupid to me too

In the issue it premiered it basically came out of nowhere, and it's a giant plot device so it still counts (to me).

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that suit.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

What happened in Final Crisis Requiem?

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice!

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Really enjoying the story so far. Although I do find it strange that Batman wants to resurrect Damian (I understand wanting his body back, but knowing what the lazarus pit can do and not knowing what this shard can do it just doesn't seem right for Batman) I never liked the idea of killing off Damian in the first place so I'd be fine if they brought him back, but I don't think they will. That's what I think anyways

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@the_tree said:

@thecheesestabber said:

What happened in Final Crisis Requiem?

Martian Manhunter's funeral. Batman placed a choco (Martian Manhunter's favorite kind of cookie) on the casket.

No Caption Provided

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So is there a reason why all the JL members decided to specifically build only Batman a supersuit? Why didn't they build one for every member?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for this story line. Tomassi's run has consistently the best batbook of the New52 in my opinion. The fact that the man realizes Cap would be on the ground after a fight with Bruce just likes me make hm more.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: It's a plot device not a deus ex machina because it's at the beginning of the story and it's not even contrived because as of this moment we've seen batman in 5 power armors in the new 52 it's totally believable that he cold have a sixth.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By johnqestion

You know a prime example that Batman is the most deux machina, over hyped over the top character there is. But it is comics so I could live with it. I mean when people go he is the most realistic I just want to laugh. No he isn't. I don't mind he gets the League to help him create that. But he isn't the only human in the League. The humans should all have one. Not only him. Also he's an ingrate too when you consider why he's doing it. He uses his "friend" abilities to help him create something he lectures about in terms of power. The dude created protocols because he does not trust the JL but takes their help to do this? I mean isn't this just a contradiction? If Batman comes out of this alive and Damien comes out alive...and he continues to be a jerk to the JL...the guy is a dick. Do what I say but don't do what I do...that is Batman. I can't stand characters like that. Batman use to be a good detective using his skills and smarts and you'd believe it was a struggle...now...it's getting to levels of Godmode and celebrating him being a jerk.

Randomtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Bats took a trip back to the 90s with that costume, still not as bad as Red Onslaught though

angelskyocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love that costume. (Probably because it looks like an even darker variation in the style of the Jean-Paul Valley bat costumes.)

fallbrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fallbrigade

The armor is awesome. Can't wait to see what it's capable of doing.

Arzix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arzix

@captainmarvel4ever Seriously, how can you hate it.It looks extremely awesome and the name is just extremely BADASS.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arzix: It doesn't look that cool, and the name is unimportant. If looking and sounding cool is all that matters to you, then your looking at things through a very shallow lens.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Sounds like the movie, the Dark Knight Rises. =P

Avatar image for divine_disorder
Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know a prime example that Batman is the most deux machina, over hyped over the top character there is. But it is comics so I could live with it. I mean when people go he is the most realistic I just want to laugh. No he isn't. I don't mind he gets the League to help him create that. But he isn't the only human in the League. The humans should all have one. Not only him. Also he's an ingrate too when you consider why he's doing it. He uses his "friend" abilities to help him create something he lectures about in terms of power. The dude created protocols because he does not trust the JL but takes their help to do this? I mean isn't this just a contradiction? If Batman comes out of this alive and Damien comes out alive...and he continues to be a jerk to the JL...the guy is a dick. Do what I say but don't do what I do...that is Batman. I can't stand characters like that. Batman use to be a good detective using his skills and smarts and you'd believe it was a struggle...now...it's getting to levels of Godmode and celebrating him being a jerk.

I don't see the issue here. By "human" I assume you mean the non-powered members of the League? Other than Batman, it's just Lex and Captain Cold, who isn't even an official member. Do you really think the League would take the time and effort to make something similar for someone like Lex? And didn't Diana give Superman a special suit of armor as well, that was forged by a god of Olympus? Bottom line, if a character needs armor, the writer will give him armor. I don't think it's fair to nitpick on Batman getting special treatment in that department.

And how is getting the League's help for this a contradiction? I think you misunderstand Batman's perception of the League's superpowers. It's not that he doesn't trust his teammates and is a jerk because of it. Of course he recognizes how useful and beneficial their superpowers are. But if they should ever fall under the enemy's control, it would be stupid and foolish not to have protocols against any of them -- including himself. Yes, there is a way to stop Batman too, and he gave it to Superman to use against him if the need should ever arise. If anything, that proves to me how much they actually trust each other.

I'll say this, though. I think this arc took an odd turn. At first, Batman just wanted Damian's body back so he could finally put him to rest. Then all of a sudden Batman wants to try to resurrect him again? I thought he was over that already? I've been enjoying the story so far, but that part got pretty weird.