NYCC 2014: Batman’s 75th Anniversary Panel

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

He is vengeance. He is the night. He is Batman, and he's 75-years-old! The Dark Knight made his very first appearance in 1939's DETECTIVE COMICS #27 and since then he's become one of the world's most popular characters. Throughout the eras, Bruce Wayne has undergone several changes as different creative minds put their own spin on the hero. To celebrate the hero turning 75 years-old, DC created a panel to reflect on the hero's history. The panel consisted of John Cunningham, Neal Adams, Greg Capullo, Kevin Conroy, Geoff Johns, Jim Lee and Scott Snyder. Let's get right to what they had to say about Bruce's history!

No Caption Provided
  • Favorite Batman villain? Geoff: "you can’t go wrong with Joker, I think Joker’s the best one." Kevin: "I’m very biased towards Joker because of Mark Hamill." Neal: Ra’s al Ghul. Neal joked he’s tempted to pick Joker just because Ra’s is tough to pronounce. Greg: humorously said Doctor Doom, but then sides with the Clown Prince of Crime. "Everybody loves monsters, and Joker’s like a monster clad in human flesh. Plays off Batman perfectly." Scott: picked the Joker as well. "He’s not crazy, he’s just evil. Endlessly interesting". Jim: selected Catwoman. Big fan of Newmar's Catwoman; has Fond memories of the TV show.
  • First memory of classic Batman show? Jim: he watched it as a kid and took it very seriously. "Joker horrified me because he has that mustache underneath his makeup." Greg: "the very first superhero drawing I did of Batman and Robin is from the intro to the TV show." Chatted about the hilarity of Batman doing detective work with alphabet soup. Neal: when someone fell while dancing and Batman said, “what a way to go-go.”
  • Frank Miller'sTHE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is then brought up. Greg: "that is the go-to book for me. Anybody who’s never read a comic book, that’s the one I give to them." He then joked about how he made his son read it and he'd quiz him about it. Scott: "it’s my favorite book, not just my favorite comic book." He has the original 4 issues and explained that TKDR was an extension of the way NYC was back when he was growing up there. "It was the world you knew and Batman suddenly was real." That moment made him understand he might want to write comics. Jim: it was his inspiration to become a comic book professional. His favorite scene is when Bruce Wayne is taking a shower and he just realizes he shaved his mustache off. "Like the force of Batman has taken over and is calling him out. Every time you read it you find new connections, new levels, and new themes that he [Frank Miller] laid in there." Geoff: "the moment when Harvey Dent gets surgery and he says they fixed the wrong face."
  • The discussion then moved to a little show called Batman: The Animated Series. Kevin: "I had no idea what I was getting involved with." Stated that Bruce Timm and Paul Dini had to explain Batman's background. Kevin added he only knew the Adam West series. As for the unforgettable voice, he said that he went to "the darkest, deepest, place" he could go to meet the show's tone.
  • When asked about the lesson of Batman, Conroy believes it's "to never ever, ever give up."
  • Switched to Hush. Jim: "[Jeph] Loeb made the script to touch upon all the highpoints in Batman’s mythology." His work was heavily influenced by Frank Miller’s take at the start. Buff at first, but more acrobatic by end. The change was a "direct result of going back and looking back at all the great batman stories." Added a lot of influence came from Neal’s work. Jim commented that Hush was his pet-project and a loveletter to the creators that touched Batman before.
  • Lee and Miller's ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN is then addressed. Jim: "a dream come true to work with Frank." The artist said he could imagine how Frank would draw it, but then kept having to remind himself to do his own take and he was the one hired to craft the visuals.
  • Discussion moved to BATMAN: EARTH ONE. Geoff: it was "really intimidating because there’s been so many amazing batman stories." Said to Gary Frank that if they’re going to do Batman, they need to do it differently. Johns pitched the idea of Batman messing up a jump and suffering an embarrassing fall. States that Gary said, “that’s not Batman.” Johns replied, “exactly.” Commented the series is before he’s the greatest detective. "He just wants to catch the man he believes is behind the death of his parents." States part of the fun is their different Alfred Pennyworth. “A bit less of a perfect role model for Bruce.” Presented art from volume two of Killer Croc and Batman fighting. “Bruce and Alfred have decided they’ll build a myth that can help Gotham City.” Second volume's about Riddler and the theme of identity. Batman learns to be a detective though working with Jim Gordon. A "really different take on Croc; plays a significant role." Emphasized it's a "super different take on Batman. We’re very proud of it and we have plans for several more after this.” Praised Gary Frank’s work, claimed this is the best work he’s ever done.
  • Snyder remarked that Batman: TAS is his second favorite Batman thing (first goes to TKDR).
  • Panel concludes with a brief discussion of Gotham. Johns said Oswald Cobblepot's his favorite character in the show.
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I agree, Oswald is my favorite Gotham character, too.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Awesome as always and yes I also like Oswald in Gotham

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seems like Penguin is fan fav on Gotham no surprise we get to see more Penguin on future ? Meh Batman writer never like to use Penguin

Avatar image for thenotoriousheisenblokz
ThenotoriousHeisenblokz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Batman is THE BEST!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#6  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I wish we got videos instead of descriptions.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Seems like Penguin is fan fav on Gotham no surprise we get to see more Penguin on future ? Meh Batman writer never like to use Penguin

Writers just have this huge Joker boner,part of it is because they want to use him to put their own mark on Batman,the other reason is just pure laziness,I doubt Oswald will get anything despite being the highlight of Gotham,Bane got nothing coming out of Rises,heck that year Joker got DOTF.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I really do have to catch up on Gotham because I've only watched the first episode but so far I really like Oswald as well. I really do hope that writers will come up with a great Penguin story in the near future.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek said:

Meh Batman writer never like to use Penguin

Gregg Hurwitz a pretty darn good Penguin story towards the beginning of the New52 and Penguin is one of the main mob factions in Batman Eternal. As far as Joker goes, it's nice that he's getting a good Snyder/Capullo story in Batman Endgame seeing as it's his 75th anniversary next year, but we need to put another one of Batman's great villains from his rogue gallery on a pedestal. How about we bring back Lincoln March and the Court of Owls in a big way. I have a feeling that is how Snyder's Batman run will end, because that is how it began.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Did DC have their own booth? I didn't see one there.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Gotham show will at least be a huge deal for Penguin in the public opinion.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Penguin is the only character I can take seriously on Gotham.

I can't imagine Jim was saying it was an honor to work with Frank on All-Star Batman & Robin. I mean it would be an honor to work with Frank if it was something like his work on Daredevil or late 80's Batman stuff though All-Star? Maybe the theory that Frank and Jim did as a joke is true.

Sad to hear no Scarecrow love and happy to hear Jim answering a rogue that's not Joker and Ra's. They are great characters though you always hear those as peoples favorites. I love to hear someone with different favorite foe.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Man, no Riddler pick for best villain?

I always feel alone calling him my favorite Batman villain.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the animated series EVER get a Blu-ray release? I don't wanna get Ebola'd before it gets announced... i need it man

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier:I'm a massive Bane fan, so I'm used to feeling that way. At least Riddler hasn't been given absolute garbage. He's got some respect in the New 52. Bane's New 52 stuff has been trash.

I don't know if you saw, but a member of Comic Vine just made a great poll pitting all the Batman villains against each other, excluding the Joker, and Riddler won!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@baneofdemon22: I haven't seen that. And I feel your pain, Bane is my number 2 Bat villain haha.

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penguin is the best of Gotham!!