k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

There's a new Suicide Squad in town and this debut chapter wastes no time sending them on their first mission! Writer Sean Ryan quickly and amusingly covers who these villains are, what they bring to the table, and why this new team exists. It would have been great to focus more on character and these new dynamics in this first chapter, but we're instead only given a glimpse of these relationships and personalities. Soon enough, the chapter takes a more explosive direction, and the desire to kick things off with a bang is understandable. Honestly, it's exciting enough and fun seeing these characters in action. It doesn't do anything overly creative or new with the fighting, but you can feel the tension rising and it's that feeling which has me anxious to see more. Watching these characters beat up and even kill nameless goons and officials is a thrill, but it's something we've seen plenty of times before and we're here because we like these characters and want to see new experiences with them. This first chapter seems to promise that'll exist in the future.

Jeremy Roberts' pencils are consistently enjoyable. The character work remains solid throughout and there's always a commendable amount of attention given to each of the settings. A little bit of the action felt a tad stiff or over the top, but overall, it's a good visual ride. That said, it's Blond's coloring that makes some of these panels truly memorable. Whenever there's bullets flying around or explosions going off -- which is often -- his vivid colors are legitimately attention-grabbing and fill the scenes with intensity. This is most noticeable in the double-page spread with Deadshot and when a character needs to escape an explosion.

Mr. Sage, the new person in charge of Task Force X -- or as he wants to call it, Task Force XL-- almost seems like "what if a comic book fan was running the team?" He's essentially creating a dream team and has no handle on just how dangerous and twisted these people can be. His fanboy-ish nature leads to some really entertaining bits of banter and they're trying to make it obvious he's in over his head. If true and this isn't an act of some kind, it seems like this opening story could pave the way for a stronger focus on Amanda Waller and her talents. Or maybe there's something more to this. It is a familiar last name, after all. Only time shall tell!

The Bad

As stated above, some of the action felt a little off. Some of the choreography and visual storytelling is great (e.g. Quinn approaching the building and how she uses a grenade), but there's a few hits that felt a little stiff and, perhaps I'm missing something, but one panel made it look like Joker's Daughter has super-human strength. She's punching someone in the face and it almost seems like their head is exploding -- there's an over the top amount of blood.

The story is pretty straightforward so far and only seems to scratch the surface of the potential with these characters. Hopefully they'll receive more significant developments in future issues.

The Verdict

NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #1 seems to focus on style over substance. The issue aims to entertain as the new team is tossed into a fairly topical scenario and we're told to just sit back and watch all of the madness unfold. It's a good looking ride and it certainly is a fun one, too. That said, there's a handful of promising elements that are swiftly touched upon in this issue. The basics of several conflicts have been teased and there's a lot of promise with the two that are running the show. Watching these villains travel the globe and cause chaos is good fun, but this roster has so much potential for character-driven stories and you can see a glimpse of that direction in this first chapter. Now it's just a matter of seeing how it'll all be handled. Crazy action is always a blast, but focusing on the relationships between these characters could transform this book into something exceptional. Here's hoping we begin to see more of that in the next issue!

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

As stated above, some of the action felt a little off. Some of the choreography and visual storytelling is great (e.g. Quinn approaching the building and how she uses a grenade), but there's a few hits that felt a little stiff and, perhaps I'm missing something, but one panel made it look like Joker's Daughter has super-human strength. She's punching someone and it almost seems like their head is exploding -- there's an over the top amount of blood.

I took it she was shattering his nose but yeah that was a lot of blood

@k4tzm4n

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

I really liked this issue . I thought it did good job on introducing the cast and their roles. Lots of satire like you said. I thought it was good. Charcter Development will be key here.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was pumped for this new series and wasn't disappointed. Solid #1. I really hope Waller gets more focus in this revamped book as she is a character I find so interesting. I'd love to see her go up against Slade in a battle of wits.

I really wish DC would stop pushing Joker's Daughter so damn hard. Having her in the same book at Harley only shines even more light on how much of a weak, uninteresting character she is.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll only buy the issue where Joker's Daughter bites it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I love how DC slyly made Deadshot look and sound like his pre New 52 self. New 52 Floyd had auburn hair, cut close, now he's suddenly back to normal, lol.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CheeseSticks

The Harley vs Joker's daughter relation is booooooooooooooooooring.

I bought this for Black Manta and I won't buy the next issues.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I know, he was more like Rick Flagg than anything else. They actually tried to make him a sympathetic character which simply did not take.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm picking this up for Deathstorke.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

@manwithoutshame: The new one was just boring, the standard, no nonsense, get the job done guy, pre New 52 had personality, glad DC saw that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I love how DC slyly made Deadshot look and sound like his pre New 52 self. New 52 Floyd had auburn hair, cut close, now he's suddenly back to normal, lol.

And that was a great thing.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Did anyone die? I hope it was Joker's Daughter.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: I flipped through this at the shop. Was happy to see Floyd with a mustache again. Is this worth a read?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: It's a good first issue. I'm going to stick with it for a few more issues. So, yeah I would recommend giving the first issue a shot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Cool, I'm actually a huge fan of Deadshot and the Ostrander Suicide Squad run from the 80's. I've avoided the New 52 stuff except for Ales Kot's few issues. This looks pretty decent though.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Astro_Zombie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read this. Loved the last run.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: This one could be really good, it just depends on how it handles itself. I'm looking forward to see if it becomes a more character driven story.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read. I like how the director is basically a fanboy LOL, I was not expecting that.

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mediocre, hope next issue gets me intrigued, not enough here.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited for this, but found it a bit disappointing. It all seems, due to lack of a better word, too generic. I think Jeremy Roberts could become a great comic book artist, he definitely has some talent, but too many panels look like cover poses. May try the next issue, but there's already too many good books fighting for my money.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoyable first issue. Looking forward to issue #2!

Loved the iteration between Quinn and JD! I want to see more of that! Also, Deathstroke once again proves he is a bad ass!

Is it wrong of me to hope that the stress of not being in control of the squad makes Waller find solace in food (and thus return to her full figured normal self)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mastermercenary
MasterMercenary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MasterMercenary
No Caption Provided

awesome!!! solid A for a first issue.. I liked it

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh:

Deathstroke is only there to boost sales and bring people to buy the tittle.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@madeinbangladesh:

Deathstroke is only there to boost sales and bring people to buy the tittle.

obviously. Both comic companies does that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh:

I know that. Like when they put Batman or Wolverine on cover in big plan.