undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This issue opens with an incredibly introspective scene of T’Challa speaking with his father’s spirit, and it is NOT a positive conversation. It only occupies two pages, but in a very, very short amount of time it establishes a tremendous internal conflict within the Wakandan ex-Monarch, as well as being an amazing treatise on the burden of rule and revenge. Meanwhile, in the present, Doctor Strange’s decision a few issues back pays massive dividends and the Illuminati are free to decide the fate of two worlds. But it comes time, none of them seem to have the fortitude to do what they all know is necessary until issue’s end, when a decision is made emphatically. Jonathan Hickman somehow manages to have his cake and eat it too by having this issue be a protracted conversation that still manages to be intense and fast-paced thanks to what’s going on all the while. Some characters are in the background, but they’ve had their moments in issues' past. This is mostly focused on Black Panther, Dr. Strange and Namor, with a quick aside to catch up, interestingly, with Black Swan and Maximus. The pacing in this issue is perfect and the emotional weight is absolutely incredible, and that owes a great deal to the art.

Valerio Schiti covers most of the art, while Salvador Larroca comes in on a few pages. Schiti’s work is perfect for this title and for this issue’s tone especially. There’s a certain arrogant swagger to some of his characters, I’ve mentioned it with Namor before but in this issue it’s Maximus’ show to steal, that seems so oddly in place with the things that happen throughout the issue and series. But he also communicates the absolute agony of the decision T’Challa is being forced to make and creates an incredible amount of sympathy for the character, especially as the issue comes to a close. Frank Martin and Paul Mounts are on colors and this is another place the book looks great. Tinges and tints are something I’m noticing in more and more books and this one has two, primarily, both of which set the tone and give the reader an idea of the underlying thoughts of characters. They also, and I’m incredibly impressed with this, make rapid transitions from one setting to the next seamlessly, even changing the tint to reflect the more mellow, subdued tone of the other scenes.

The Bad

I’m a huge fan of Larroca’s art in general, but on this issue the style change is harsh and Larocca’s panels just aren’t up to his usual excellence. The pages look rushed, except for the final one which, admittedly, looks glorious.

The Verdict

This is easily the most significant issue since the introduction of “Incursion,” and Hickman continues to set the bar ever higher both for himself and whoever picks up after he departs the tile. The writing and the visuals work together to tell a story that shows Marvel’s willingness to stretch superhero titles to their limit, not just in terms of where they’re willing to go, but how they’re willing to get there. This remains one of my favorite sci-fi books that just so happens to star superheroes.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great issue. Was a bit sad, but I enjoyed it.

On a side note, I actually found the last panel one of the worst, when it comes to art. Something is really off about it, but I can't put my finger on it.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ugh, why ruin a good thing?

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I LOVED this issue... particularly a certain someone's speech to his fellow "heroes".

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@andysynn said:

Man, I LOVED this issue... particularly a certain someone's speech to his fellow "heroes".

I thought that was pretty cool part it too.

Spideyfan3160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dangit I have to wait till Friday to my local comic shop

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was intense.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just leave this here.

"YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP!"

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dangit I have to wait till Friday to my local comic shop

Or you could buy digitally, and read it right now :)

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T'challa needs a hug didn't Shuri just ban him from Wakanda a few issues ago now his father disowned him

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this book so consistently outstanding, and Avengers so nonsensically plodding?

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How anyone can look at any of these characters as heroes ever again is beyond me.
This is a level of grimdark that I'm just not interested in.

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art, the whole build up to the intense climax and then. BOOM

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How anyone can look at any of these characters as heroes ever again is beyond me.

Maximus sums up these characters appropriately in his conversation with black swan; If these characters were heroes, their earth would've already been destroyed.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Maximus keeps stealing the spotlight and I love him for it, that crazy inhuman.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agh that speech was so perfect. Small petty nothings. Yup that was great.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goddamn, I try and comment on these reviews every month. Such an incredible read. I love how over the course of the series most of the characters have had incredible characterization that both adds upon and gives reverence to older material.

Amazing and diverse cast of characters. Favorite read current;y.

gothamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gothamite: The perspective just doesn't fit. It looks like different body parts are being drawn from different perspectives, so it feels all wonky.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#20  Edited By Teerack

Oh my god ever issue of this book I read leaves me speechless at how great it is. Jonathan Hickman is the best thing to happen to Namor in the past 60 years. I really hope once this is all over with they have a Sub-Mariner ongoing book with Hickman writing it and Valerio Schiti on art.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

With this issue alone Namor is arguably the greatest villain in the history of the Marvel Universe.

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and this is why i love namor! Yes he is an ass, but he is a necessary evil.

My dream that will never happen is a sinestro namor adventure!

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wasnt gonna get into this book, but when i heard about what this arc was about i had to. soooooooooooo goooooooooooooood

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@grandharrier said:

Maximus sums up these characters appropriately in his conversation with black swan; If these characters were heroes, their earth would've already been destroyed.

That isn't even remotely true.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With this issue alone Namor is arguably the greatest villain in the history of the Marvel Universe.

Hardly. Not only did he save the entire world but he's also not the only character to sacrifice a world to save another. Beast, Nova and Star Lord have all done it in the past.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an amazing issue. The fate of the Great Society team was genuinely shocking. Hickman's work here and on the main Avenger's title is interesting on a month-to-month basis and will be a rewarding read in the trade. Its not an "easy" book so I think that Marvel should be commended for telling such a long and intricate story in their most mainstream title(s).

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we all knew namor would be that guy. Wow i'm shocked to see T'challa admit that he regrets giving up storm awww man never saw that coming.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rideaspacecowboy said:

Hardly. Not only did he save the entire world but he's also not the only character to sacrifice a world to save another. Beast, Nova and Star Lord have all done it in the past.

Doesn't make them heroes, the ends do not justify the means. Murdering billions in order to save two universes is still murder; it's why cap refused to even consider the idea.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we all knew namor would be that guy. Wow i'm shocked to see T'challa admit that he regrets giving up storm awww man never saw that coming.

He never said that

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow: well him saying he gave up his marriage and sounded depressed kinda implied it for me.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@rideaspacecowboy said:

Doesn't make them heroes, the ends do not justify the means. Murdering billions in order to save two universes is still murder; it's why cap refused to even consider the idea.

Because Cap is a naive idiot. He'd stand by and watch as two universes died around him because he didn't have the courage to make the hard choices.

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was amazing!

ShadowJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

After this the Illuminati just went from a bunch of pretentious jerks to full on irredeemable villains

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 owie  Moderator

I read this and the next issue in reverse order by accident, and I liked this one a lot more. It really felt very solid in terms of bringing this storyline along in a serious way. Honestly it made me wonder about T'Challa's reasoning for the fight in the next issue, it's not like Namor made a decision for him, he did what they were all there to do, and they all took turns deciding who was gong to do it; it's not like it was up to T'Challa to decide for everyone else that they shouldn't do it.

I liked the one panel where Sun God is being slowly killed, I think it's an homage to when Supes gets hit by lightning in Dark Knight but am too lazy to check myself on that :)

I totally agree with Namor here, the other guys are being whiners and focusing on how bad they feel about all this more than the lives of the people they'd be saving. I also liked Dr Strange being pissed when they turned him back to himself (which seemed a little easy to do). Really great momentous issue that was handled very nicely.

bud_morries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had to respond. This issue broke my heart. Seeing the heroes die, a world explode, a hero pulling the trigger, and BP lose his heritage and father's love was gut wrenching!!!! Take note DC, this is how you write a comic! Awesome and tragic!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Majorly behind because I am trade waiting...dayum what an issue.