undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

The Illuminati has the power to destroy a planet at their whim. This was such a horrific, terrifying secret that they elected, unilaterally, to mindwipe Captain America when he objected to it. His recent memory recovery has not slowed the inevitable march toward a horrible decision one iota. In this issue, Jonathan Hickman gives us the fallout both from the previous issue in THIS series and a previous issue of AVENGERS with Tony Stark nursing his wounds while answering the call to action. And what a call it is. At last the incursion with the planet of the ultra-noble Great Society (who look somehow familiar…) occurs, as does one of the most fascinating conversations on morality and consequence that I’ve ever read in ANY medium. Bruce Banner’s conversation with Hank McCoy stands as an issue, and series, highlight. Both these men are outsiders in the sense that Banner only recently joined, and McCoy was brought in as a substitute for a previous Illuminati member, and both of them have such an insightful outlook on how the group, and the proposed plan, operate.

Valerio Schiti is BACK! After an absolutely stellar break into Marvel comics on the linework of JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY, and a fantastic continuation as a fill-in on MIGHTY AVENGERS, Schitti brings his incredible visual flair to one of Marvel’s top titles. And he fits right in, his interesting, subtly new takes on well established, entrenched characters (I absolutely LOVE his Namor) is both refreshing and recognizable. The facial expressions, especially, help build upon both the incredible tension and dread that all culminates in the issue’s end. Veteran colorist Frank Martin hits the grim, desperate tone of the title to a tee. His panels are drab and dark where they need to be, but wild and fearfully uncontrolled when we get to the actual incursion. He sets the tone perfectly in every panel.

The Bad

The battle between these two factions has been teased ever since Panther and Namor saw the near future in the Bridge, and this issue is the BIGGEST tease yet. I’m not saying I expect Hickman to rush into anything, I like that he takes his time, but at this point he’s almost making fun of the fact that fans have been aching to see the Illuminati take on the Not-Justice League/Society at this point.

The Verdict

Though we have another wait ahead of us, this one is more bearable than it previously has been. The last two covers have hinted at what’s to come, but the next issue promises to deliver on it and whether it does or not, this is still a very, very great issue. We get more character insights, there’s a development with Black Swan and Maximus that I didn’t even have time to mention that spells “uh-oh” no matter HOW you look at it, and the conversation between the Avengers and the Society is pure, old-school sci-fi greatness.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ugh, the cover was basically a lie.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Great Society looks cool. Makes me miss the old Squadron Supreme.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This was a great issue .

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@longbowhunter: I gotta say the Great Society is actually pretty cool, but I think they're a lot more inventive than the Squadron Supreme. I mean they're CLEARLY supposed to be the Justice League, but aside from Sun God and The Norn(And the Jovian to an extent) it's not THAT obvious in the costumes like it was in the Squadron.

Also gotta say I'm digging these guys. I just love homages

Also with "society" in the name and the fact they have a Doctor Fate stand it, I'm gonna go on a limb and say they're meant to be a bit of a JSA/JLA combo.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I think I know how this series is going to end

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This series always delivers. I've yet to be disappointed with an issue.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

As are roughly 30% of all comic covers, quite honestly.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparty_dbq I know but in most instances there is actually some fighting. In this issue all they did was talk till the last two pages.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

do tell

I think when the final incursion happens instead of the two universes destroying each other they will merge in to one.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

no it wasn't did you skip the last page?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grenadeflow The page where they don't actually fight. Even the solicitation for the issue was false,

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 owie  Moderator

I was a lot happier with this issue. I feel like something finally happened (fight or no fight). We're getting somewhere. The line that they have been worrying about crossing is finally here. And the moral discussions between Beast and Banner, and between the two teams, were nicely done.

I am glad to see Schiti here. I think his faces were even better on Sif, but they do fit Namor very well too.

I don't see how the Illuminati could win a fight with the Society. The Illuminati have huge brain power, but in terms of pure fighting capacity, they're heavy on the physicals. Not to turn this into a battle thread, but...They do have Iron Man, Black Bolt, and Richards, but otherwise Namor, Panther, Hulk, and Beast are all pure physical guys. The only pure physical guy on the Society is the Rider; then they have a speedster, a power ring, a Superman/Hyperion/Sentry, and a telepathic shapeshifter. They're outnumbered, but they ought to outpower the Illuminati pretty well (assuming all their powers are equivalent to their DC counterparts).

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

Man this book. I just really want to see it bring about a return of the world breaker. Hulk hasn't come anywhere close to a world breaker level event since his fight with Sentry. Since Banner is so balanced now I think it would be the coolest if going through all of this New Avengers stuff segments his personality again so we can see the return of the Green Scar Planet Hulk persona. My ideal Hulk is Banner and the Green Scar cohabiting/sharing the body.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@smart_dork_dude: I just really loved Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme maxiseries from the 80's. It would be cool to see something similar done with these characters.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter said:

@smart_dork_dude: I just really loved Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme maxiseries from the 80's. It would be cool to see something similar done with these characters.

That'd be cool. Reason I love homages is that you get the familiarity of a character you love... but get to see what would happen if they went in a different direction and honestly? I think the Great Society has a little more of a shot at becoming more mainstream, should Marvel decide to run with them. I'd be up for a Great Society comic. Just introduced to them recently and already I like them.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Dr. Strange and his new "power"

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

do tell

I think when the final incursion happens instead of the two universes destroying each other they will merge in to one.

sounds about right

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Havent read a new avengers since Infinty tie ins and this was awesome. I hope they stretch this actually fight for two more issues. Since they are just counterparts we will have definitive winners and losers for each battle. I'm hoping to see alot of smashing and some awesome moments from black bolt

also, corvus glave is back and I loved that guy in infinity

And the marvel site says issue 20 comes out june 18th??

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

To be honest, I'm kinda glad The Illuminati never got round to fighting The Grand Society. Simply because The Grand Society are another Justice League/Justice Society parody/counterpart from Marvel so that would have started more sparks of clashes inbetween the DC and Marvel fanbases over who would win in a fight. And we have enough of those on here and comic book forums as it is.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk any soul on this planet that doesn't like New Avengers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lvenger: don't you think the illuminati would win since it's there book

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@holyserpent: Yes they definitely would but then there'd be arguments that since they beat The Grand Society, they stand a chance against the Justice League when they're two different versions.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By The Mast

Does anyone fear that the terrible thing Stark and Reed plan to do will result in a Flashpoint-esque reboot?

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I love the whole Great Society, but If they do go down in battle I hope doctor spectrum gets saved and that would be an epic foreshadowing to a new Squadron Supreme.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue is ok, I mean im glad that this confrontation has finally begun because the talking was really getting to me although it was interesting. At this point I felt like Namor, and just wanted the talking to be done with i just want to see this battle. Personally, i would give it 4/5 stars. Cant wait for next Issue. Definitely one of the best books Marvel has out right now alongside, Avengers and Uncanny Avengers which is the main Three Titles which are the center of the Marvel Universe.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 owie  Moderator

@owie: Dr. Strange and his new "power"

Well right,exactly, whatever that is.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: interesting guess. That would be pretty funny though. I wonder if dc will respond with mirror characters of there own

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@mogo1 said:

@jonny_anonymous: interesting guess. That would be pretty funny though. I wonder if dc will respond with mirror characters of there own

Yeah, it seems to be Marvel that do that a lot. Not sure I've seen an actual Avengers parody at DC.

JSAVen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By JSAVen

You know something is wrong in DC , when Marvel´s ¨Doctor Fate¨ is better written than the Original. Hickman seems like this character

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By HumanRocket

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

do tell

If you go back to issue 1, Black Panther talks about going beyond the stars and shows his the reader a new planet and talks about "a great society breaking". I think that planet may come into play again. Also in issue 2 we get a glance at future/Alternate New Avengers and in one panel we see Namor attacking a group of heroes resembling the Great Society and has killed most of them.

Tolliver_Trask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Tolliver_Trask

Amazing story-line, and such great dialogue between the 2 teams. I believe Dr. Strange is going to be laying the hammer down next issue, as powerful as Great Society is, they won't stand a chance against Strange's new ill-fated source of power. EDIT: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they get entirely obliterated and we never hear from them again, I hope this isn't the case though, I like them, especially The Norn.

mogo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was apocalypse on that sphinx while on the great society planet?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By adamTRMM

@mogo1 said:

Was apocalypse on that sphinx while on the great society planet?

Yep, would be interesting to know what was/is his role in their world.

They had another planet, with a statue of Magneto. Seems like Hickman is really interested in writing some muties.

Mr_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing is that the Illuminati won't lose the Earth 616. I mean no duh, right. But the issue is how will this resolve. Will the Illuminati, like what was foreshadowed in Necropolis, destroy th is planet along with its great heroes, will the Great Society's Earth be destroyed and their heroes remain on 616, or will there be a nasty turn in the lives of the Illuminati as they damn the Great Society and their Earth. I have a feeling that Cap and the Avengers will be involved in the outcome one way or another.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#37  Edited By Teerack

This fight next issue will basically be Marvel saying the Illuminati can beat the Justice League.

No Caption Provided

They even named their Batman "Wayne" hahaha