Exclusive: Nathan Edmondson Takes BLACK WIDOW and PUNISHER into their Final Days

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Secret Warsis coming. We know that's going to bring about the destruction of the Marvel Universe. Before that happens, we'll see the Last Days of the heroes. What will they do when they discover it's their last days on Earth?

No Caption Provided

With Nathan Edmondson writing both BLACK WIDOW and PUNISHER, he has the task of looking at these two will be doing. Marvel has given us an exclusive first look at the solicits for the issues:

BLACK WIDOW #19

Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON

Art & Cover by PHIL NOTO

TOO LATE FOR REDEMPTION?

· At the end of all things, Black Widow finds herself unexpectedly connected to one of the darkest moments of her past.

· See how the first lines of red in her ledger were written.

· Will Natasha fall into darkness or rage against the dying of the light?

PUNISHER #19

Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON

Art & Cover by MITCH GERADS

THE END IS NIGH!

• · One of the Punisher’s allies falls. Someone’s picked the wrong fight.
  • · The Punisher steps back into a War Zone.
  • · Frank Castle is out for punishment, but the clock is ticking…

We had the chance ask Nathan some questions about these two in their Last Days. (

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What’s been your favorite thing about writing BLACK WIDOW?

NATHAN EDMONDSON: Working with Phil and Ellie and Jake.

CV: She’s been on a personal mission throughout your series. Will the idea of the “Last Days” approaching move up her time table to accomplish what she’s set out to do?

NE: It will certainly challenge her sense of direction and purpose, but beyond that I can’t say right now. In the LAST DAYS arcs, we have the opportunity to truly dig deep into Natasha’s past and psyche — and we will.

CV: Will there be any revelations as she sets out to tie up any loose ends?

NE: Most definitely.

CV: Did you have this storyline in mind when you first started?

NE: Yes, we’ve had our journey planned out to this issue since we began.

CV: Did you feel any pressure in coming up with the “first lines of red” in her ledger?

NE: I’ve never felt any pressure on this series, for better or for worse. It’s felt so natural working together with the team that we simply go where we’re inspired to go.

No Caption Provided

CV: It seems Punisher would either carry on business as usually or go all out and try to clean up as much evil as he could when finding out the “Last Days” are approaching. Any hints what we can expect?

NE: Isn’t cleaning up as much evil as possible “business as usual” for Frank? Hint hint.

Hint: it won’t be business as usual. It will be war.

CV: Are you approaching Frank’s story (and Natasha’s) as if it truly were their last days?

NE: Yes and no. These aren’t “how do we suddenly fit these characters into the big wide world” issues. We remain faithful to the personal nature of the stories, while acknowledging that there is an end in sight, that a clock is ticking.

CV: Would Punisher care if the world was ending since he’s so focused on his own mission?

NE: He wouldn’t really, but when I say a clock is ticking, it’s not necessarily the world’s clock. Punisher cares about some things more than he cares about the end of the world. Someone who wakes up every morning expecting to die that day doesn’t think a whole lot about the end of all things.

CV:Does Punisher keep a list of top targets he’d want to deal with before everything ended or has he already gone after them?

NE: The list is pretty short, but it isn’t a list that he’s kept. Punisher has a code of honor and we will see that embraced in a harsh and bloody way.

CV: Do you still have more Punisher and Black Widow stories in you?

NE: I’ve got ALL KINDS of stories in me.

LAST DAYS begins in May. What would you do during your last days?

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Black Widow is easily one of my a favorite monthly books... looking forward to what Edmondson and Noto have in store

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Someone who wakes up every morning expecting to die that day doesn’t think a whole lot about the end of all things.

I love this

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cap10nate

I was holding out hope that these books would stay in the past prior to the incursions until Edmonson finished up his run. Black Widow has been my favorite Marvel book just about each month that it has come out, and Punisher has been a great story as well that I look forward to each month.

I really hope that the Chaos story in Black Widow is wrapped up before the start of this Last Days stuff as it would be a shame to have such an amazing story derailed for the event and have her deal with that while the world is also ending.

I hope that when the dust settles after all this, Edmonson is still around to write these series, and also pick up Winter Soldier as well. I think he told a better Winter Soldier story as a guest star in half of the last issue of Black Widow than Kot has in his series up to this point.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@cap10nate: I feel like his Deathlock book is a Winter Soldier in all but name

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completely forgot that he is also writing Deathlok. Has it been a good read?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

So, these Last Days stuff will mean the end for their titles after Secret Wars? Like, Black Widow and Punisher will be canceled ?

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By kantrip

@the_stegman: I'm not 100% sure. They may just end the volume and restart with a new #1 for post Secret Wars but the same team (maybe). They also just annouced a Last Days for Ms. Marvel, and considering how much press and popularity that character has received, I doubt they would cancel that book just as it is hitting a stride and gathering readers.

This also is starting to feel a lot like the Tie-In stories for other books during previous events where "Everything will change" during these major events, which ultimately just results in the character catching up to some status quo changes and rarely drastically changing the character.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jonny_anonymous said:

I completely forgot that he is also writing Deathlok. Has it been a good read?

It's been great.It was slow but it's definitely picking up.The last issue was really good.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Can't wait to see how this will end for the Punisher... I hope with a bang in the most badass ways.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how I feel about this, I love Black Widow, but I'm sure this will be a good finale so I'll definetely pick it up

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This has nothing to do with the quality of the Black Widow book (I'm a fan), but can Marvel pleeeease stop it with the "red in her ledger" phrase already? It feels like since the Avengers film we've heard that phrase everywhere. I totally get the concept behind it but please, mix it up a little. Hearing or reading "I have red in my ledger/she has red in her ledger" makes me want to bash my brains in now, I'm truly sick of it.

And yes I am 100% aware of how ridiculous I sound.

Antigonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the "red in her ledger" line should be retired too, but at least this is the first time I've seen it trotted out in a while.

"Last Days" seems like the Secret Wars imprint they're giving to stories that are continuing an ongoing run, like Ms. Marvel, Magneto, etc, while some books are getting cancelled/rebranded during the event, like Secret Wars 2099. Of course, Marvel's been very secretive about what happens after. I don't think they can/will relaunch the whole line, but they definitely want you to think they might.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I hope Punisher gets a new amazing series.

This one has been good but not great

~MiB

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy: I 100% agree with you I was annoyed fairly shortly after hearing it in avengers where it seemed it popped up everywhere however at least we get to finally see some of the red in the ledger

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Both books are too good for Marvel.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've fallen behind on Punisher but Edmondson continues to kill it on Black Widow and Deathlok

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I'm hoping that after Secret Wars, Edmondson and ESPECIALLY Noto stay on Black Widow. It's easily my favorite book from Marvel right now. Punisher is fantastic as well.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I only recently started reading this Black Widow run, and I love it, man I hope it continues after this event stuff. But the "end of the world" stuff really bugs me. Why even fight Chaos if it's all gonna end anyway? I'll be happy if the same team continues after, especially if it continues the themes of this Black Widow story.

@wardishy: About the red in her ledger, not ridiculous at all, I didn't even like it in the movie, but now it seems to have become her thing. So annoying.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Someone who wakes up every morning expecting to die that day doesn’t think a whole lot about the end of all things.

I love this

same here