undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

G. Willow Wilson has done it. She’s given us a true-blue-new Peter Parker character without giving us an actual analog to him. Kamala Khan has teenaged problems to go right along with her superpowers, but her problems aren’t the same ones that Puny Parker dealt with all the way back in the swingin’ ‘60s, but the notes resonate just as strongly as they did back then. And I don’t say this to be reductive, or to try and fit what is a truly engaging, unique character into a small box: I’m saying that what Peter Parker did for teenaged superheroes back then, Kamala Khan is doing for them now. This book is a joyous celebration of awkward teen years and of hero worship in an era where more and more teenagers are probably looking to superheroes (even if they’re on the silver screen rather than the printed page) for equal parts envy and inspiration. Wilson does the impossible and writes a realistic teenager discovering her superpowers. I only bring up her heritage because I saw FAR too much chatter dismissing it as “stunt casting,” but in an era where Muslims are portrayed as caricatures, both the good and bad kind, it’s amazing to see a family look as average and “American” in pop-culture as this one does. There’s the hard-working, caring, but perhaps overly strict parents, the weird, slacker brother and the put-upon protagonist with a secret and a great circle of friends and foes. This issue, in particular, makes it clear that Kamala isn’t content to let things be as they’ve always been, and contains some incredible, eye-widening drama at its climax.

The art...WOW, the art. I’ve been a fan of Adrian Alphona since The Runaways, but his style’s only grown more beautifully exaggerated since those days. The proportions always match up against one another, and they DO make Kamala’s mass-shifting abilities a LITTLE stranger because EVERYone looks a bit exaggerated, but Alphona’s art is another piece of what makes this book so much fun. His linework is animated and impossible to ignore which is why it’s so interesting that Ian Herring’s colors are as muted and subdued as they are. That’s not a complaint, clearly, but there’s a very real element to the coloring in this book that serves to make the wild linework stand out even more in juxtaposition.

The Bad

Maybe it’s because I’ve been a fan of the source for over two decades, but hearing the teens in this book jonesing for “Squishees” broke the immersion a bit for me. That is a product that exists in The Simpsons and NO WHERE else (except in real-world 711s when the movie came out…)

The Verdict

This book shines brightly in a very dark, serious era. Though Marvel’s books tend to have a little more levity, a great many of them are still serious, for both good and ill. This title brings a smile to the reader’s face that can’t be denied. The writing, the art, everything is engineered to be a joy, but that doesn’t mean there’s no drama, and it’s great to see some real story and character development to let us know that this book isn’t just going to be pure fluff.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

This book is amazing, I really hope Marvel and DC take notes and have more books with this tone.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: They already are. Marvel is bringing back Peter Parker (as if we didn't already know), and Jeff Lamire's new JLU will have 3 teenage girls in the roster. Also, are you getting the same Deja Vu feeling as me. this is really similar to the conversation we had few hours ago :)

Avatar image for deactivated-635002b0415fa
deactivated-635002b0415fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love this book. Haven't been disappointed yet and with the way it's going, I don't think I will be anytime soon!

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really love this book. Haven't been disappointed yet and with the way it's going, I don't think I will be anytime soon!

Totally agree. I have been very happy and surprised the way the story is developing. I love the art too.

Ruvik_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

What's her superpowers?

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By iaconpoint

So according to all the reviews this is greatest book that's ever been written in the history of the human language. Really?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

So according to all the reviews this is greatest book that's ever been written in the history of the human language. Really?

Who has actually said that?
BB

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BR_Havoc

@captainmarvel4ever: I meet more the tone of the book, This is similar to FF where its fun even when they are talking about darker or difficult subject matter. I really do not know if Lemire or the return of Peter will have that tone.

Haha yeah it is pretty similar, what can I say I find this style of comic very refreshing for an industry that is getting burnt out with dark/gritty or this ridiculous concept of realism in a superhero comic.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm honestly surprised at how good this comic is.. i hope sales for this remain consistent and above the cancellation quota as that would probably reflect the comic readers as being very open minded and not close minded people =D. Loving this series!!

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

Interesting, I might keep an eye out for the trade.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Manchine

Oh I was expecting the real ms marvel.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue. This is a series anyone can get into. No knowledge of Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel is needed.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

@captainmarvel4ever: I meet more the tone of the book, This is similar to FF where its fun even when they are talking about darker or difficult subject matter. I really do not know if Lemire or the return of Peter will have that tone.

Haha yeah it is pretty similar, what can I say I find this style of comic very refreshing for an industry that is getting burnt out with dark/gritty or this ridiculous concept of realism in a superhero comic.

Yeah, despite Peter being back I doubt we will have much of any fun. Still, there are some fun comics out, like Larfleeze (Deja Vu again) and She Hulk. Plus even the mainstream comics are becoming more fun. After all in Justice League we got the Metal Men back, and they are just as fun as they were in the 60's. Nothing like seeing Lead fall in love with a soda machine to put a smile on your face :)

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

Yeah, despite Peter being back I doubt we will have much of any fun. Still, there are some fun comics out, like Larfleeze (Deja Vu again) and She Hulk. Plus even the mainstream comics are becoming more fun. After all in Justice League we got the Metal Men back, and they are just as fun as they were in the 60's. Nothing like seeing Lead fall in love with a soda machine to put a smile on your face :)

I agree I have found Spider-Man a pretty depressing comic for years now. Its just build him up to tear him down and I just can't deal with the angst much longer. If that does not change in the first story line and there is no hope I will drop it. She-Hulk has been amazing so far and with Ms. Marvel has been a nice replacement for FF.

I really hope DC takes a chance on a Metal Men book that was some of Johns best writing nice the new 52 started, they have little to offer me lately with all there weeklies and crossovers but I would buy a Metal Men book in a second.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: I would like a book that's about Cyborg, the Metal Men, Red Tornado, and some of the other robotic characters from DC, in the Star Labs building basically doing what the FF comic did, have fun with Sci-Fi, and focusing on under rated characters. That's a book I would buy that in a second. Even if they don't, that issue in Justice League that was all about the Metal Men was in the top 5 for comic book sales during that month, so it's safe to say that DC knows that fans still love them, and will still do something with them.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I would love to see a comic like that, Kind of like the Avengers A.I that is going on over at Marvel. I just hope DC has a plan for the Metal Men and keeps them light hearted and fun. I do not want to see the dark and gritty version of them like I have seen so many former fun character become in the new 52.

I'm just happy that my last Justice League story since I'm going to drop it as soon as Lex joins was a fun story with some amazing characters and some of the sharper writing Johns has had on this title. I think I might try Johns Superman in hopes he can fix that very broken section of the DC nu universe.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: Yeah, I'm not as hard on Scott Lobdell as most people, but he really has screwed up with Superman and the Teen Titans. On the bright side though, Superman in Action Comics has been very nice, even giving someone a high five after saving them. I would also defiantly agree, Johns writing in both FE and Justice League has been really good. He may have ruined Captain Marvel, but he's a damn good writer. I may keep reading JL to see where it's going, but the new League is going to have New 52 Captain Marvel, who I honestly can't stand, so I may drop that as well. I will also hate it if Geoff Johns gives Captain Cold his cold gun back permanently, I think he works better with his cold abilities being an actual super power. On the bright side though, I think the Metal Men are here to stay, and that's defiantly a good thing.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I think many peoples issues with Lobdell ( Mine included ) is he just will not admit he makes mistakes and he seems so condescending and smug in interview towards the fans. If your an Allen Moore level writer I will look past those things but when you have not written anything worth while in the past 20 years tone it down. I mean Lobdell has ideas but he does not flesh them out and he simply has no clue who to write a teen aged hero.

I love Johns writing and I am very hard on him because I have been a fan of his work for many years now and I know how great he can be. The Metal Men issue as well as Throne of Atlantis storyline where the best stuff he has written with Justice League. All and all for Johns his new 52 JL run has been hit or miss with me. I'm on the opposite side of the fence with you when it comes to Forever Evil I truly think that it is the worst event Johns has ever written. The premise that " Evil is relative" has zero impact in the new 52 universe because since it started it has been a darker universe with most characters morality shown in shades of grey. For this story line to have a lasting effect it the universe it takes place in should not be as cynical as the new 52 is.

I do have high hopes for his Superman he did state it is a restart for Superman in the new 52. Something I was excited to hear.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: I don't know, I think it was a smart move for DC's first major event in the New 52 to be Forever Evil. The fact that many new readers like me are now reading because of the New 52 means that they need something simple, and the idea of an Evil Justice League conquering the planet, while Lex and the other usual villains are the ones who need to stop them, is fairly easy to understand. Honestly I could feel my heart pounding as I read issue #6, which for me was a 10/10 issue. I also liked him giving the members of the CS some background, the issue featuring Ultraman's back story was a really interesting and clever issue. Honestly I think Marvel needs to learn to do the same with their events for new readers. Although Marvel Now is fairly hard for a new reader, the events are near impossible for anyone new to understand. I still haven't figured out Age of Ultron, Infinity, or Inhumanity. Although you do have a point about the New 52 already being dark, but I feel like it doesn't really slow down the event at all. The tie-ins are very hit or miss, and can sometimes suffer for having to be a certain length, and although I am not too upset with the delay on the last issue, it does hurt the momentum of this and many other comics. Overall though, I really like the event, and cannot wait to pick up the omnibus. Also, just want to say I completely agree with you on Lobdell, and on Superman.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

What's wrong with dark and gritty?

Also since i don't feel like refreshing i'll just ask you how did she get her powers? I saw a review for issue 1 and started picking up the series as of issue 2 but i really don't understand how she got her power. She had a vision and then boom powers?

Also overall great freaking series.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: There is nothing wrong with dark and gritty if it is in moderation but when a full industry is moving towards going darker and grittier it loses its power. DC right now has shown that they want there hole universe to be dark and gritty with that variety lost there is no contrast and the stories lose there weight. You can not have a full comic universe or industry that is so cynical.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

Well i agree on the comics should have more diversity like Marvel. But there's so many things DC has been doing wrong lately diversity in tone is only one of many problem.

But again how does this Ms.Marvel get her powers? Is it just through a vision or?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

Still no idea what that is. Inhumans is the one thing in Marvel i can't understand. That's why i want an Inhumans movie. Could be Marvels answer to mutants and they could short term explain it to me because i don't understand Inhumans. I never put it in the time to learn about Inhumans but i've read comments still not really explaining enough.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By The Mast

@thewalkingdeadpool18: "I never put the time in to learn about Inhumans."

That might be why you have no clue. I'm just guessing here.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast:

Perhaps that's why i'm confused but i just think getting powers from like a vision or something sounds too stupid to be the case. I don't understand Inhumans how are they different from Mutants? They're not born with their powers? If they are then they're mutants. I want to understand the jist of Inhumans but everywhere i try can't just give me a quick explanation of them and how their powers work or what it takes to be considered and Inhumans they need to writer like a thousand pargraphs. Can you explain them quick?